Just-Reduced Clearance
13 Members and 9424 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Skin care routine for Obagi users..Please!

Started 1265613005 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1265638514 by justicemom
I think I'm missing some things from mine?
Please advise and I'd appreciate your input!
[u]AM[/u]
Philosophy or Kate S. cleanser with clarisonic
Obagi clear
Devita spf 50
Make-up
[u]PM[/u]
Philosophy or Kate S. cleanser with clarisonic
Obagi clear or blender with (retin-a 2x a week)
I've been avoiding moisturizer and eye cream as not to upset my Obagi treatment.
Am I supposed to use a serum? Does this seem ok or should I add/remove/change anything?
Down the road when I have some extra $$ I want to get my capilaries zapped. I'll probably be bugging you beauties for help then, too!
Thanks for all your help!

Page 1 of 1
Pianomama12656211112698 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007southern California
I can't advise; only tell you what works for me. In the morning I start with the Clear, then Avalon Organics C serum, then moisturizer, and makeup. Nightly, after cleaning, I use the Clear, C serum, Retin-A and/or moisturizer. The Clear is drying to my skin so I must use a moisturizer afterwards. Hope this helps.

kittensmit­ten1265622174192 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007
Thanks pianomama!
But this is where I get confused. Some say not to use moisturizer or anything else except sunblock, or else you'll cancel out the Obagi treatment?
Do you wait a certain amount of time between applying your serum and moisturizer? Are you still trying to eliminate sun damage or have you completed it and are just using the Obagi for future prevention?

Keli1312656269687516 PostsRegistered 1/24/2006
Your not doing the whole Obagi Nu Derm system but your doing enough to clear your skin of discoloration without having to go thru thru the many weeks of raw, red, irritated and peeling skin. Unless you want to go thru the whole Obagi Nu Derm routine. It's not 100% necessary for everybody to go thru the whole Nu Derm system to clear their skin of age spots and discoloration.
Some people have such resistant discoloration that only a derm can remove it but for the most part you are already using what you need to get rid of discoloration. Your using the same strength Hydroquinone a dermatologist would recommend and Retin-A which they would also recommend.
Now you just need to keep it up and give it some time.
You could keep your regimen the way it is for a few months and concentrate on getting rid of any pigmentation which is what your doing right now, then when your skin is clear of discoloration, revamp your routine for regular anti aging skincare and protection with sunscreen so your skin stays pigment free. It will usually take a few months but everyones different. Then you can add an antioxidant and AHA product.
Or you could add more active products right now that may or may not cause your skin much irritation and redness.
It's up to you if you want to add more now or wait until your done with the Hydroquinone.
Once you revamp your skincare for antiaging, after your discoloration clears up, you can concentrate on getting your broken capillaries lasered. Just make sure you tell your derm what products your using because you may have to stop using some of them before your laser treatments.
I personally would stick with what your doing if your discoloration is starting to go away. Once your skin is clear of any age spots and discoloration stop using the Clear & Blender, Hydroquinone is not meant to be used long term, and start using an AHA and a antioxidant product. Keep using your Retin-A at night. Maybe by the time your pigmentation clears up completely you'll be able to use your Retin-A at least every other night.
So you can add an AHA product like Peter Thomas Roths Unwrinkle Pads for a few mornings or nights a week, whatever works best for you. There are many other great AHA products that you apply like a cream also. You can get some more recs from the ladies here on what they like.
Lastly add an antioxidant serum in the AM . It can be a Vitamin C product or any good antioxidant product. Everybody uses different ones. The serums that many use on this board vary but some that I remember are Devita C Accelerator, Avalon C, Skinceuticals C & E Ferulic, Biomedic 10.5 Potent C Concentrate. There are hundereds more antioxidant products. It doesn't have to be a vitamin C product. There are many very potent antioxidants other than Vitamin C.
I use Envision The Solution in the mornings as my antioxidant product right now. It contains many antioxidants. It's pricey but I stock up when the company puts it on BOGO free a few times a year. Then it ends up being about $38.00 a bottle.
You may need to try a few different AHA and antioxidant products until you find the ones that you like and that work for you.
Maybe start a thread on each topic, AHA's and Antioxidants. The ladies can then recommend any good antioxidants in one thread and any good AHA products they use in another so you have some options to try out or research.
I hope I didn't confuse you. It's 3am here and I just got up for work. Sorry for the long post.
--
Edited by keli13 at 02/08/2010 2:04 AM PST

Last edited on 2/8/2010

Keli1312656277067516 PostsRegistered 1/24/2006
You can use a moisturizer if your skin needs one. You are not doing the whole Obagi Nu Derm regimen where Dr Obagi recommends not to use one. If your skin needs the moisture then use one. If your skin does fine without a moisturizer then don't.
If you do need a moisturizer try using one only at night. This way you can wait 20 to 30 minutes after applying your products so they have time to absorb and then apply your moisturizer on top. Some ladies wait as much as 1 hour before applying their moisturizer. I personally don't feel you need to wait that long but if you have the time, and that's what you want to do, then go for it.
When I used Obagi I tried not to use a moisturizer but there were some days I just had to so I did. I used one when I needed one. Some days I used one in the morning only, some days it was only at night and some days it was both morning and night. I did what I felt my skin needed at the time.
I need a moisturizer more around this time of year than I do during the summer.
Do what's best for your skin. If you need the moisture use a moisturizer. Just try to wait at least 20 minutes before applying one.
--
Edited by keli13 at 02/08/2010 2:17 AM PST

Last edited on 2/8/2010

kittensmit­ten1265628822192 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007
Thanks Keli!!!
Great information as always. You don't confuse me at all.
I'm just new to addressing my skin and skin products, til I woke up one day and said "*[u]bleep[/u]*"!?!
Here's how ignorant I am about skin products.
What's an AHA and whats it for?
Where do you get your Envision?
In what order would I apply these 2 products?
Could you please give me your skin care routine am/pm?
My spots are fading like a speeding train. YAY!
My labial folds and eye wrinkles are much less noticable.
Many thanks again, not only for your knowledge but especially for your patience.

Gayley1265629991184 PostsRegistered 1/19/2009Wisconsin
> I think I'm missing some things from mine?
> Please advise and I'd appreciate your input!
>
> [u]AM[/u]
> Philosophy or Kate S. cleanser with clarisonic
> Obagi clear
> Devita spf 50
> Make-up
>
> [u]PM[/u]
> Philosophy or Kate S. cleanser with clarisonic
> Obagi clear or blender with (retin-a 2x a week)
>
> I've been avoiding moisturizer and eye cream as not
> to upset my Obagi treatment.
> Am I supposed to use a serum? Does this seem ok or
> should I add/remove/change anything?
>
> Down the road when I have some extra $$ I want to get
> my capilaries zapped. I'll probably be bugging you
> beauties for help then, too!
> Thanks for all your help!
Good morning makeamericabeautiful! As I recall, we started the Obagi system about the same time. I started the day after Thanksgiving so I think I am week 10 or 11.
My routine is very similar to yours, just different cleansers and spf, and I started using a toner with antioxidants about 2 weeks ago.
At first, I totally avoided all moisturizer as well, but after about week 4, I found I had to use moisturizer around my eyes and mouth area. I use clinique DDMgel or a serum (skinactives Lets Make Callagen). If I use, I only use one, usually the serum and usually in the morning. Still just around the eyes and mouth only. I have combo/oily skin and I find just an occasional use (maybe 1 or x2 a week) works for me.
If your system is working for you, you don't have to change anything. If you feel you are needing moisturizer, I think it would fine to use.
My plan is to keep my routine as basic as yours until I am done with Obagi (can't remember if that is 14 or 18 weeks - have to go back and check as I should be getting close!).
When I started, it took a bit to see a difference (maybe because of the peeling), but now I have seen a difference. Because my skin is cleared up, I too have noticed the broken caps. more. Obagi didn't cause them - they are just easier to see now. I took would love to have them lasered so will be watching for posts on that!
I still have 3 spots that seem to be very resistant. I am still using the products all over my face, but in a thinner layer, then I go back and put an extra dot of clear and blender/retin a on each one - hopefully that will help.
Regarding moisturizer and eye cream - I really don't have discoloration around the eyes and mouth so I am not worried about using them. You will have to make your own determination, but in MHO, I don't think you would be doing harm to add moisturizer where and when you need it.
Also, I do wait about 15 minutes after washing/toning to apply the clear and then wait another 15 minutes before I do the next step, whatever it is depending on a.m. or p.m.
I don't post often, but do read the boards most every day, so will be interested in hearing other opinions and especially info on the lasers. By the way, I think you already got the best advice from keli - I know that is where I got most of my information!
Good luck! Gayley

Gayley1265631167184 PostsRegistered 1/19/2009Wisconsin
Forgot to add that you may want to add some sort of exfoliant. I'm not too big on them myself. I find just using a washcloth gently is about all I can handle, but sometimes I'll use a cotton ball dipped in plain whole milk and wipe across my face and only leave on for about 4 minutes. Milk contains lactic acid. I only do this maybe every two weeks because I exfoliants seem to bother me more then other things.
Gayley

Keli1312656316977516 PostsRegistered 1/24/2006
An AHA is an Alpha hydroxy acid. The most commonly used AHA is glycolic acid or a product containing glycolic acid. It's one of the proven ingredients in skincare like Retin-A, Antioxidants and Hydroquinone used for anti-aging.
I like using Peter Thomas Roth's Unwrinkle Pads because they contain many different AHA & BHA acids that are good for our skin to help exfoliate and to encourage collagen growth. There are many other AHA products the ladies on this board can also recommend.
Here is a good web site to read up about different skincare ingredients and what they do for our skin.
http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/
I buy Envision The Solution from the link below. It's pricey but if you sign up at her web site she will e-mail you the next time she offers buy one get one free. That's when I place my orders. I also use Biomedic 10.5 C concentrate and Devita C Accelerator in between using Envision. I like many different antioxidant and vitamin C products so I switch them up occasionally but I only use one per day in the morning.
http://www.envision-beauty.com/flash/
Click on receive updates and offers to receive her BOGO deals when she has them and look around the site to read up on the product.
If your using a peel pad like PTR's Unwrinkle you can use it AM or PM right after cleansing. Then if you use it in the morning like I do you would apply your antioxidant next, then a moisturizer and sunscreen.
Here's my basic routine.
AM
Wipe my face with a wet facial wipe
PTR Unwrinkle Pads
Envision The Solution antioxidant
My moisturizer which varies ( I'm using up my stash of them)
Sunscreen Devita Ultra Solar SPF 50.
PM
Cleanse
Renova .05%
Moisturizer
Some nights I skip my Renova and just use one of the other various products I have laying around like Perricones Restorative C Cream or Perricones High Potency Evening Repair.
I don't use a separate eye cream regularly but if you do use one, use it before your moisturizer. I use all of my products around my eyes and just use a moisturizer as my eye cream. When I do occasionally pick up an eye cream it's for hydration only. My eye treatment products are my Renova, Envision The Solution and the PTR pads. I only will use an eye cream for extra hydration. My face products also treat my eye area.
I like 100% Pure's Caffeine eye cream in the AM and a more moisturizing one at night..

kittensmit­ten1265632310192 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007
Hi Gayley!
I started mine end of Dec. I like your advice on thin layer all over and dot the spots over it. I'm gonna do that now.
Which cleansers do you use?
I read that thread about ph, so thats why I use the philosophy, plus it won some award at QVC. I got the Kate S. with my clarisonic.
Just like you, I been peeling like crazy. Especially around my eyes and nose. I was flaking so bad, I made sure to tell people at work I was using a new skin treatment, so they wouldn't think I was on drugs! My eyebrows looked like they had bad dandruff, as well as my hair by my forehead. I will be using some moisturizer now, but nowhere near my cheek spots (since they're not dry). Only around eyes and nostrils. I will wait between applications, just in case.
Let's keep in touch here when we laser our capilaries, so we can compare notes!

Gayley1265633243184 PostsRegistered 1/19/2009Wisconsin
> Hi Gayley!
> I started mine end of Dec. I like your advice on thin
> layer all over and dot the spots over it. I'm gonna
> do that now.
> Which cleansers do you use?
> I read that thread about ph, so thats why I use the
> philosophy, plus it won some award at QVC. I got the
> Kate S. with my clarisonic.
> Just like you, I been peeling like crazy. Especially
> around my eyes and nose. I was flaking so bad, I made
> sure to tell people at work I was using a new skin
> treatment, so they wouldn't think I was on drugs! My
> eyebrows looked like they had bad dandruff, as well
> as my hair by my forehead. I will be using some
> moisturizer now, but nowhere near my cheek spots
> (since they're not dry). Only around eyes and
> nostrils. I will wait between applications, just in
> case.
>
> Let's keep in touch here when we laser our
> capilaries, so we can compare notes!
Yes, lets keep in touch as it sounds like we are dealing with the same issues! (Actually, I have been following your posts because of this.) Like I said, I don't post often but read the boards almost daily.
I was using J&J head to toe until the p.H. posts came out. I have now switched to Paula's Choice (Skin Balancing for normal/combo). It has a p.h. of 5.5 - I even checked it with p.h. strips! The J&J was like 7-8. Paula's choice is also the toner I am using (Healthy Skin). I've been pleased with them so far.
I also told friends I was using a new skin care system (told them it was for hormonal breakouts!) Anyway, the crazy peeling really has settled down - in fact, I have very little anyone. For awhile I couldn't use any makeup as it just made things look worse.
I know can use foundation again (I've been sampling Cory's minerals as they only contain 2 ingred., but haven't ordered full size yet as I want to finish Obagi to see what my final skin tone turns out to be.) I'm really liking the Cory mmu as it takes such a small amount and really covers the broken caps better then anything else I've used. Even though I am 46, I still like my mmu - can't seem to figure out how to apply liquids and so many of them have something in them that bothers my sensative skin.
Gayley

kittensmit­ten1265633278192 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007
Keli,
I saved your routine for my favorites.
Last questions, I promise.
I see you use renova at night.
Is that instead of retin-a?
If so, I'll need to order some from medsmex.
Also, what amount of time do you wait between applying the different products?
I put your 2 links on my desktop. I'll read them later since I gotta get ready for work.
Hope your day goes great!

kittensmit­ten1265633984192 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007
Gayley,
We're the same age!:-D
Where do you get your Paula's choice? I'll get some when my cleansers run out.
You said you read the boards. Did you see that thread about mineral makeup? Something about inhaling it and it sticks to your lungs...? That kinda freaked me out a little.
Maybe that magnet brush they were hawking on SNB would make it safer? I thought about it, but didn't order it--yet.
I hide my caps with Clinique continuous coverage tube.
Have a great day!

Gayley1265634960184 PostsRegistered 1/19/2009Wisconsin
I get the Paula's Choice at cosmeticscop dot com
It was recommended by many of the beauties here on the boards which is why I tried the products. You can also buy samples. I waited until she had a sale - I believe it was 10 or 20% off and free shipping, so if you can wait, I'm sure she'll do more sales.
Regarding mineral make-up, yes, I've read the reports. However, I really can't wear liquid foundations so I have started being very careful about inhaling. Also, after I apply, I spritz my face with mineral water. I've also been thinking of spritzing my brush before I apply, but haven't tried that yet. The Cory minerals I got samples of do not contain Mica - from what I understand, that is the one that can be the most damaging. Even if that is not the case, I am still going to continue with it. We all have to make informed choices and do what is best for us.
I do like Clinique DDM gel and the city blocker SPF 25 - I'll have to check the continuous coverage in a tube. Especially now when they have a GWP. Thanks for the tip!
You have a great on too!

Keli1312656360167516 PostsRegistered 1/24/2006
> Keli,
>
> I saved your routine for my favorites.
>
> Last questions, I promise.
> I see you use renova at night.
> Is that instead of retin-a?
> If so, I'll need to order some from medsmex.
>
> Also, what amount of time do you wait between
> applying the different products?
>
> I put your 2 links on my desktop. I'll read them
> later since I gotta get ready for work.
>
> Hope your day goes great!
Yes I used Renova instead of Retin-A because it's less drying to my normal/combination skin. I can use either or. Sometimes I switch to Retin- A during the summer and go back to Renova during the winter.
In the morning I only wait a few minutes. If I was using the Clear again I'd try to wait at least 10 minutes in the morning.
At night I wait about 20 minutes to apply a moisturizer after my Renova. Otherwise I only wait maybe 5 minutes between products.
When I needed to use treatment products like Obagi Clear I would try to wait at least a half and hour at night before applying a moisturizer over my Retin-A and Clear. But I only waited about 10 minutes between my Clear and Retin-A.
Now I don't need to wait much since my skin is 100% clear so I don't need hydroquinone any more and I've been using Retin-A and Renova for over 8 years..
Gotta get to work now,
Keli

justicemom12656385142647 PostsRegistered 10/2/2007Sunny Puerto Rico
This is my routine with Obagi Clear and Blender.
AM
Obagi Gentle Cleanser/with clarisonic
Obagi Clear
Obagi Vitamin C
Moisturizer with SPF
PM
Obagi Gentle Cleanser/with clarisonic
Obagi Blender
Retin A
Moisturizer if needed(atopalm)
--
~Just when the Caterpillar thought Her world was over....She became a BUTTERFLY~

~Just when the Caterpillar thought Her world was over....She became a BUTTERFLY~

Page 1 of 1