TSV(R) Preview
143 Members and 12891 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Have tried about everything and can't get my scalp to stop itching +++

Started 1277901894.293 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1278065893.187 by rebel

This is so frustrating. It is like an invisible itch, when you go to scratch it, it doesn't help and it doesn't give any relief.

I have tried tea tree oil, conditioner only cleansing, SLS free shampoos, some dandruff shampoos (allergic to zinc pyrithione).

Don't know what else to try. It may be from a medication I take, which I can't stop taking so I am stuck with that.

Any other suggestion please!!! I am just so tired of this. The itching is not constant, but sometimes it will hit with such force that you can't ignore it.

thanks to all, I appreciate it. PS, I did go to a derm and they didn't really have any suggestions except prescription shampoo.

Page 1 of 1
Qgirl1277902398.8474167 PostsRegistered 4/20/2005

Scalpicin works for me every time. I buy mine at the local drugstore. I have not seen it at Target or my Wal Mart. Buy the extra strength. I like it because it doesn't affect my haircolor and I don't have to shampoo it in. I just apply it at night or whenever I feel an itch.

Last edited on 6/30/2010

Last edited on 6/30/2010

all1277902533.263001 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008IOWA

Honey is supposed to help. Just let it 'sit' and do a very thorough rinse.

ALL

cammybee1277902554.52079 PostsRegistered 2/1/2009

I have the same problem. Unfortunately I don't know if what I use would work for you. I get good results from Living Proof. I really like their shampoo and conditioner . I have also liked Nick Chavez and will alternate with his shampoos, the volumizing is my fave. From the drugstore I like the Organix line of shampoos and conditioners and was recently using these until the Living Proof tsv came out. Another shampoo I used to buy that I really liked but have not used in a while is the Artec Kiwi shampoo. Hopefully those are products that you haven't tried. My scalp issues are oiliness, itchiness and breaking out. Wen and Ojon are the worst for me.

If it's to be, it's up to me!

anastacia7­20011277902563.0931378 PostsRegistered 12/22/2008

YOU can get this: KETOCONAZOLE by prescription or over the counter strength at any drugstore/walmart :NIZORAL

if you go to the dermatologist they can also prescribe a lotion to place on your scalp.

it happens to me when i am stressed or i eat too much sugar (fungal)

sorry, i totally missed the derm part. there are many liquid solutions that can be prescribed to put on your scalp at nite.

Nystatin mixed w/ a corticosteroid..............do your research and then tell the derm what you need.

Last edited on 6/30/2010

Last edited on 6/30/2010

ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ.•:*¨¨*:•.

Josea9221277906334.9774354 PostsRegistered 11/20/2006
On 6/30/2010 anastacia72001 said:

YOU can get this: KETOCONAZOLE by prescription or over the counter strength at any drugstore/walmart :NIZORAL

if you go to the dermatologist they can also prescribe a lotion to place on your scalp.

it happens to me when i am stressed or i eat too much sugar (fungal)

sorry, i totally missed the derm part. there are many liquid solutions that can be prescribed to put on your scalp at nite.

Nystatin mixed w/ a corticosteroid..............do your research and then tell the derm what you need.

Last edited on 6/30/2010

Nizoral works. I started using it about a month ago. I only use it about twice a week but it makes a huge difference. I also find that sulfate-free shampoos help a lot. I like Kenra and have had good luck with Living Proof also. I too find that stress and sugar contribute to the itch.

Kathleen1277906525.912888 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down

It might be something you're eating. Years ago I had a similar problem. I got some tar shampoo from the derm, and a referral to an allergist.

My problem turned out to be a food allergy.

Nascarfan481277906791.021525 PostsRegistered 9/6/2009

I 2nd the Scalpacin. A few years ago I had a terrible itch and this helped clear it up. You can apply it whenever the itch strikes and it will not mess up your hairstyle. It will help keep you from further irritating your scalp by itching it. I would also continue with the tea tree oil shampoo. That can take a couple weeks to solve the issue and the Scalpacin will keep you from ripping your scalp open scratching it and allow the skin to heal. Good luck, I know how bad this can be, I hope you find relief.

pucker1277907015.9871554 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007

Thanks everyone.

I have been tested for allergies and do have quite a few and I try and stay away from them.

I am so guilty of eating way to much sugar and have been extremely stressed out (which causes me to eat more sugar) horrible cycle.

I may try out the Nizoral and see if that helps.

How would you use the honey in your hair??

Kathleen1277908873.69712888 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down
On 6/30/2010 pucker said:

Thanks everyone.

I have been tested for allergies and do have quite a few and I try and stay away from them.

I am so guilty of eating way to much sugar and have been extremely stressed out (which causes me to eat more sugar) horrible cycle.

Since you mentioned the sugar, I don't want to scare you - but check out links between itchy skin/scalp and diabetes. Lot of things online - and if you suspect something - go see your doctor.

stilltamn8r1277909185.6513953 PostsRegistered 6/14/2006So Cal

OK, this always worked for my Mom and me - recommended by her hairdresser about 35 years ago

Take Sea Breeze- the original formula- douse a cotton ball and rub all over your scalp about a half hour before you shampoo- then just shampoo as normal-

I know it sounds simplistic, but it rreally works....

Disneyland­fan1277911444.3533418 PostsRegistered 10/18/2008Southern California

My scalp and legs would itch to the point I just wanted to dig a sharp object into my skin to make it stop. The reason for me turned out to be a problem with my thryoid- but until I knew that I would take a benedryl. Very safe and it stopped the itching.

There is a non drowsy formula to use during the day.

shopchocho­lic1277916937.2131515 PostsRegistered 9/2/2007

it could be something you are eating or a supplement. check with your doctor a simple blood test should show if there is an underlying health problem like diabetes etc.....

Years ago I was taking the prescribed dosage on a hair skin and nails supplement - 3 tabs a day but my scalp started to itch like crazy so I reduced it to 1 a day and the itching went away so thats the dosage I stick with now.

tea tree oil and jojoba oil helps with mild scalp issues as do some shampoos like the dandruff one that neutrogena has.

alexinflor­ida1278013566.0474289 PostsRegistered 12/16/2009

I'm glad I found this thread......I've had awful scalp itching for the last 2 weeks and have not introduced any new shampoo, conditioner, face products, detergents, soaps, etc.

This morning I added 3 drops of Jojoba oil after air-drying my hair and rubbed it into my scalp. So far, so good; it's been 6 hours with no itching.

No clue what caused it and whether or not this is a permanent fix, but it feels good right now. If the problem returns, I'll definitely ask my doc about it. Annoying and actually, it's almost painful when the itching won't go away.

Good luck to the rest of you!

SuziQ21278013981.792518 PostsRegistered 9/18/2008

My Father, brother and I have always had an itchy scalp and I washed my hair every day or every other day. I use Selsun Blue.....let it sit on for about 5 minutes, then use another shampoo after that, and conditioner.

I began to notice when I am dieting, my head didn't itch as much. My dad had to always get a pres. for his itching.....my brother just lived with it.

Years ago, a naturpathic dr. told me that I have a condition called Candida. It is a sugar sensitivity.....and we all have quite a sweet tooth. I began to put 2&2 together, and like I said, it gets better when I am off sugar. I can go longer inbetween washing.

Food sensitivities are responsible for lots of ailments. However, most Dr's are not taught to look for the problem, but to treat the symptoms with drugs or surgery. Go to a naturpathic doctor if you go to anyone. It will be worth your time to have someone go for what is causing your problem, and not just trying to calm the itching. You may be allergic to something else that is causing this.

Chocolate; It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Zaksgrrl1278014258.8339844 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008In the sun but willing to go into the dark
On 7/1/2010 SuziQ2 said:

My Father, brother and I have always had an itchy scalp and I washed my hair every day or every other day. I use Selsun Blue.....let it sit on for about 5 minutes, then use another shampoo after that, and conditioner.

I began to notice when I am dieting, my head didn't itch as much. My dad had to always get a pres. for his itching.....my brother just lived with it.

Years ago, a naturpathic dr. told me that I have a condition called Candida. It is a sugar sensitivity.....and we all have quite a sweet tooth. I began to put 2&2 together, and like I said, it gets better when I am off sugar. I can go longer inbetween washing.

Food sensitivities are responsible for lots of ailments. However, most Dr's are not taught to look for the problem, but to treat the symptoms with drugs or surgery. Go to a naturpathic doctor if you go to anyone. It will be worth your time to have someone go for what is causing your problem, and not just trying to calm the itching. You may be allergic to something else that is causing this.

Candida is a yeast. It feeds on sugar. But it can be cleared up quite easily. Go see your doctor.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
When I get through this, I'm going to live the life of an adventurer.
Bear Grylls

Zaksgrrl1278014319.569844 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008In the sun but willing to go into the dark

Vancamycin will make your scalp itch (you said you're on meds).

You should also have your liver checked. Itchy scalp can be a sign of liver failure.

[I'd get another dermatologist too. You should never tolerate "can't be bothered" doctors. You wouldn't put up with it in a hairdresser . . . .]

Last edited on 7/1/2010

Last edited on 7/1/2010

Last edited on 7/1/2010

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
When I get through this, I'm going to live the life of an adventurer.
Bear Grylls

Beebo1278014740.9776959 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010

I a;so found relief from itchy scalp with Scalpicin.

ElvisShops1278026902.5174622 PostsRegistered 1/28/2007

I agree with the poster who suggested you see another doctor. However, if you are taking antibiotics, they can cause itching because they can kill off the good flora that keeps the bad stuff in check. You might try adding probiotics to your diet or eating a cup of yogurt for breakfast. Itching is so annoying. I wish you the best.

“When I feed the hungry, they call me a saint. When I ask why people are hungry, they call me a Communist.”
― Dom Hélder Pessoa Câmara, Brazilian archbishop

cassiem1278027568.5836799 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Another vote for scalpicin.

Also, you might want to check out getting a filter for your shower head. I used to get lots of skin rashes and my scalp itched most of the time, and it turned out that it was the chlorine in the water.

Once I got the shower filter the itching and rashes decreased dramatically. It also helped my son's asthma as chlorine fumes can trigger asthma attacks.

poregirl1278039271.3077318 PostsRegistered 10/12/2009great white north

Have you tried a non-drowsy antihistamine? My pharmacist says Zyrtec is the best acting

‎Enough with the animal testing. Shame on you L'oreal, Olay ,Cover Girl, Revlon, Maybelline, Neutrogena.Avon

" Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel

rebel1278065893.1875458 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

great question.

i deal with this too and would love to find a solution

45, Fair, dry, sensitive skin, DSPW, yellow and neutral undertones, Cannot use "cones" high in ingred. deck, natural blonde wavy hair, blue eyes

Page 1 of 1