Boot Boutique
45 Members and 10428 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

EXTREMELY dry, brittle, straw-like hair!!!

Started 1277829565.57 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1278031045.433 by onibas

UGH! My hair is in awful shape! I have very fine, curly hair that is highlighted. It really is beyond dry! It feels like straw!! It breaks so easily! I have tried so many products on it, and NOTHING works! The latest thing I've been using is Argan Oil from Sally's. It is still dry and brittle!!!

It feels like it needs to literally soak in oil. I suppose there is nothing I can do with it other than chop it off........right? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2
Iluvlucy1277829717.997804 PostsRegistered 8/22/2008

Sounds like a perfect time to try WEN! It has done wonders on my hair!

Love me, love my rescues!!!!!

Trevoli1277830406.41663 PostsRegistered 10/16/2007

Sounds like maybe your hair is overprocessed. You can probably find a product that will temporarily de-frizz it (without weighing it down, that's the tricky part), but if you can stand it, cutting all the damage off and starting again might be the way to go.

Of course, if you try any Q product and it doesn't work, you can send it back. Nick Chavez or Ojon might have some products to give you a temporary fix.

I don't know why fortune smiles on some, and lets the rest go free. ~ Don Henley

lola1231277831506.507592 PostsRegistered 3/28/2008Phenix City, AL

Have you tried a protein treatment followed by a deep conditioning treatment? The protein could help with the brittleness.

Kelly

Harpa1277831583.0977543 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

You're giving so little information, so all that's left is to guess. You really need to find the causes of your hair being so brittle and stop whatever you're doing. Have you considered upping your oral intake of hair nutrients: fish oil and other EFA, B vits, biotin, Vit C, Vit E -- the whole gammut of vits & mins.

There are other damaging factors: meds, over processing, heat drying, use of wrong shampoos that strip hair of your natural oils, not brushing (for scalp stimulation). If you want to hear of one magic product that works miracles, it ain't gonna happen. You need to pay attention to everything that directly affects your hair health and make all the positive changes.

HTH!

tessan1277832076.941211 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007

it probably does need to soak in oil, try either olive oil or coconut oil(washes out a little easier), and then a heat cap, and if you can keep it on overnight, even better.

I Teach Too1277832349.88311790 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Eastern Iowa...If you build it, they will come.

I would say WEN Fig and the Fig Oil.

Last edited on 6/29/2010

Last edited on 6/29/2010

I know too much to go back an' pretend.

Nascarfan481277832409.8631525 PostsRegistered 9/6/2009

I agree with the soak in oil. coconut oil is great, jojoba oil, olive if you don't have anything else. definately leave in overnight. Shea butter even works wonders. What are you currently using on your hair? I don't think Sally's sells pure Argon Oil, what are you using? Be careful about too much protein, that can also cause your hair to be brittle. If you tell us what you are currently using, maybe we can give better help. You don't necessarily need to chop it off. You maybe able to save it.

Last edited on 6/29/2010

Last edited on 6/29/2010

Yuban31277832611.238870 PostsRegistered 11/1/2006

Go to your hairdresser and ask what they would recommend.

"To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone." -Reba McEntire

"Housework can't kill you, but why take the chance?" - Phyllis Diller

MJ121277832639.2937124 PostsRegistered 11/30/2007Maryland

A former co-worker did olive oil as a hair treatment and couldn't get it out - seriously - she called out a few days, washed it non-stop and still couldn't get it out - she ended up wearing a beret to work in Manhattan in July. I don't recommend that.

I love love L'Occitane Olive Tree Conditioner.

A coward, a most devout coward; religious in it.
~~Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, or, What You Will

bopper1277833287.514067 PostsRegistered 8/5/2007

Say Yes To Carrots Hair Mask sold at Target and Walgreens. I really like it.

slh1277833391.6334460 PostsRegistered 10/19/2005NJ (Philly burb)
On 6/29/2010 I Teach Too said:

I would say WEN Fig and the Fig Oil.

Last edited on 6/29/2010

Worked for me when my hair was straw and falling out and just plain dead. WONDER products IMHO. Would NEVER be without.

cerinthe1277838735.4932608 PostsRegistered 7/12/2005

I completely agree about the WEN Fig- only I would add in that luxe Restorative Treatment that comes in a tub. You'll want to cleanse hair, use the WEN as a leave in (per instructions,) and then put that restorative in and sleep overnight and rinse in AM and style as usual.

I would research a protein mask before using one. In some cases they will make the hair worse. I would only use it in association with a stylist who knows what they are doing.

Other ideas: For day wear, I would try and find a shine serum or glossing cream that is a treatment in addition to silicone serum. It will make your hair feel nice, but also be doing longer term treatment and support. Hair is dead, and all you can do is 1) cut it off and 2) support it until its long enough to cut off. We are aiming for number 2. :) Recommendations in this category: Ojon shine serum (if you can find on ebay, its no longer made,) Ojon restorative leave in treatment (I recommend using the 'clear', rather than a color. The tube should last forever, you shouldn't use more than a dime size. I use a pea size on wet hair.) Fekkai glossing cream (get a travel size at sephora.com, a little goes a long way.)

For treatment: You need to really focus on 'supporting' your hair until its long enough to cut off. Try either WEN treatment oils OR just go buy jojoba oil (trader joe's always has it, or health food stores, for cheap,) which is what the WEN oil mainly is. Use this overnight at least once a week, wash out in AM. I also love the original Ojon oil restorative treatment (in a tub.) Get a small travel size to try it out, not everyone can handle the smell. Also, WEN's restorative treatment in a tub is great. Expensive, but you use only a little. Also, if you end up with WEN as a cleansing conditioner, then use THIS as a leave in overnight treatment. Cleanse hair with WEN, then put a bunch of pumps back in. Add in some argan oil. Mix it all up, add some jojoba oil. Sleep in it overnight. This is a great budget conscious way if you already have those products rather than buying some of the restorative treatments, and works very well.

For cleansing: I love and recommend WEN. But main tip here is: Wash with whatever AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE. The more you get your hair wet (and its SO much more fragile when wet, and you comb it, etc.,) the more it will likely break, etc. And leave whatever conditioner in as long as possible.Try and wash twice a week or less. Let your natural hair oil get into your scalp and hair and nourish what it can.

Overall: I completely agree with dietary suggestions for biotin and omega 3s. Try and handle hair as little as possible. Do not pull it back into hairbands, etc. Don't chemically process the hair further. Your hair is dead and all you can do its treat it gently until it grows out long enough to be able to cut off this damaged part.

[Oh, and that WEN restorative spray in between hair washings would probably help a lot too!]

Last edited on 6/29/2010

Last edited on 6/29/2010

nolimitsho­pping1277838863.3434221 PostsRegistered 11/7/2006

Another vote for WEN fig and the fig oil. Good luck!

"Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me"-Al Capone

saversmom1277838940.6275495 PostsRegistered 5/10/2009

Keratin treatments are great. They totally change the texture and appearance of the hair. The treatment fades away in about six months.

I would agree with many other posters who recommend talking to your regular stylist.

Good luck.

Fifi11277841200.624736 PostsRegistered 1/21/2005

Your hair sounds to be in terrible shape and I'm sure you're upset - do you have your hair professional highlighted or DIY? If professionally done, I'd certainly go back to the salon and get their advise - which may be to cut off some of the damage and begin a treatment system. If necessary, I'd check with your physician to see if it's thyroid connected, etc.

If you're doing your own highlights, I'd stop and seek professional opinion to get your hair back to healthy. I doubt any otc products from the drug store will alone turn it around. It's going to take a little time :)

tessan1277842810.091211 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007
On 6/29/2010 MJ12 said:

A former co-worker did olive oil as a hair treatment and couldn't get it out - seriously - she called out a few days, washed it non-stop and still couldn't get it out - she ended up wearing a beret to work in Manhattan in July. I don't recommend that.

I love love L'Occitane Olive Tree Conditioner.

olive does tend to be hard to wash out, that's why I love coconut. but some people don't have that on hand. I found several shampoos would get out the olive, but then you might be defeating the purpose, I really did not notice any improvement in my hair with WEN.

tessan1277842905.1231211 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007

and coconut oil is not that expensive, can be used on your entire body, including face, and lasts a long time. I keep mine in the fridge, and then take out small amounts at a time, that last for several weeks. that and lemon juice as a toner is my new favorite beauty routine.

andeshan1277843334.692184 PostsRegistered 5/11/2007OR

How is your skin? Is it dry as well? If so, it could be a thyroid issue, just something to think about. Other than that I think the suggestions here are great. If none of that works, there could be a different issue going on.

ladyroxanne1277844597.3610991 PostsRegistered 3/25/2008northern ca

Sounds like hair cut time to me, but make an appointment with your stylist and see what they have to say.

Good luck Smile

LaurieRose1277900233.217169 PostsRegistered 6/29/2010

I am also casting my vote for WEN Fig... I ordered the 4pc Fig Ultimate Collection about 2 weeks ago... I also had very dry, brittle, damaged hair... and it's done WONDERS for me! I was just commenting on another post that I NEVER thought my hair could look this shiny, healthy, and soft... and that's after only 2 weeks of using WEN Fig.

I will caution you that you have to stick with WEN and figure out what works best for you... don't expect miracles in 1 use. I felt a difference in the texture of my hair, especially when wet, after about 4-5 uses... but was still seeing quite a bit of frizz after it was dry. But I had a major break through this morning, and I'm THRILLED with the results. You have to follow the directions exactly, and then experiment a bit with different combinations of the styling creme, oil, etc to find what works perfectly for you, but I have found it to be WELL worth the time/effort/money for me!

I wish you the best of luck!

CraZLadE1277920263.7671259 PostsRegistered 12/29/2007moutains of Carolina

Sorry to hear about your hair!!! I know what you mean since I "had" dry, frizzy, bushy, brittle hair until I used WEN. I love this stuff and nothing has every made my hair in better shape. I esp. like the fig since it's the most moisturizing.

Also, you might want to go to your salon for a deep conditioning treatment. I also use frizz products since the hot weather kills my do! I found a great spray on product that I now LOVE! It's Garnier Fructis nutrient spray. It has nutritive fruit oils in it. It says "for dry to over-dried or damaged hair". It's separated so you have to shake it first. Use it on towel dried hair. It not only makes hair shiny, but it leaves mine silky. It's great! I was looking for a spray on shine product and ran into this and LOVE it! Also, it's not expensive. Got @ Walmart for like $6-7.

Good luck! If all fails, just get a haircut and maybe some of the damaged parts can be cut off which will make your hair better. (just a thought)! Right now, I'm in need of one and am thinking of going shoulder length (yikes) - my hair is below shoulders and layered. I found a PIC of a style I love, but don't have a salon to go to right now.

cerinthe1277920903.6632608 PostsRegistered 7/12/2005

That Fructis spray is mostly silicone and shellac, BUT its an excellent suggestion because I really think she needs a silicone product for day and it has some treatment in it. This is a nice formulation as long as you know what you're getting. It reminds me of a copy of the Ojon restorative spray- the orange stuff which comes separated and has to be shaken. Fructis and Tresemme both have GREAT formulated styling products at rock bottom prices. Every time I see a new product from either of them, I am surprised at how well its formulated for the price. Carzlade- I totally have to check out this product in stores, very very clever! Great suggestion!!!

onibas1277944254.332 PostsRegistered 6/30/2010

It's interesting to find that consumers and stylists seem to believe what they have heard from manufactures. To my knowledge, hair is dead and there is not one product that changes, repairs or bonds to hair unless it is chemically based. Conditioners only last 2 to 3 hours after application and only act as filler for holes in the hair shaft.

Conditioners are like spackle in a wall. The only time that it completely seals without breaking down is with paint. Moisture and conditioners can only hold into the hair shaft from shampoo to shampoo with a non-water soluble sealer that locks in the essential moisture content and blocks out excess moisture. This prevents brittle hair or water laden hair, both create frizz.

To learn more about what hair and hair products realistically can and can not do, go to www.gotfrizz.com

CraZLadE1277988541.161259 PostsRegistered 12/29/2007moutains of Carolina

Thank you Cerinthe! I like this product very much. You're very kind!

Onibas - yes, you're right. Hair is dead but I find that frizz serums help even if they are temporary. Makeup is temporary also but I wouldn't want to be see without it! We can only work with what we have. Otherwise, we'd have to shave our heads.

I'm curious about the gotfrizz.com site and will check this out. Maybe it has some good suggestions! Thanks for the tip!

Smurfette1277994982.4572203 PostsRegistered 5/27/2007Under the Moonlight
On 6/30/2010 LaurieRose said:

I am also casting my vote for WEN Fig... I ordered the 4pc Fig Ultimate Collection about 2 weeks ago... I also had very dry, brittle, damaged hair... and it's done WONDERS for me! I was just commenting on another post that I NEVER thought my hair could look this shiny, healthy, and soft... and that's after only 2 weeks of using WEN Fig.

I will caution you that you have to stick with WEN and figure out what works best for you... don't expect miracles in 1 use. I felt a difference in the texture of my hair, especially when wet, after about 4-5 uses... but was still seeing quite a bit of frizz after it was dry. But I had a major break through this morning, and I'm THRILLED with the results. You have to follow the directions exactly, and then experiment a bit with different combinations of the styling creme, oil, etc to find what works perfectly for you, but I have found it to be WELL worth the time/effort/money for me!

I wish you the best of luck!

That is really interesting, Laurie Rose. I am glad the WEN is working for you! I have ordered (and returned) the WEN Fig three times. I really, really want it to work for my dry and frizzy hair but sadly it just does not.

Do you mind me asking how often you wash your hair? (FYI...I only wash my hair every 4 days or so).

Page 1 of 2