The Joy of Christmas
88 Members and 7255 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Difference between cheap and expensive nail polish

Started 1277134416.02 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1277361782.617 by Spunkyspouts

Hi, i dont really post much but i read your great advice alot, i look at the expensive brands in the stores, and then i see the dollar ones and the have some pretty colors is there a difference and what are your favorite brands?? Thank so much!!

Page 1 of 2
Safre1277156167.85344 PostsRegistered 7/22/2006Pennsylvania

It seems to me that the high end nail polishes are not as "runny" as the lower end brands. I have used everything from drugstore-to OPI/Essie to YSL. A higher end like YSL or Chanel seem to go on better and the brush is easier to use. I usually do my own nails, by the way. However, if I have my nails done at the salon, they usually look just as good regardless of brand. Hope that helps!

Lynne0071277156869.753255 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010Land of Dorothy and Toto...

I just started wearing polish constantly about 3 years ago. I've worn everything from the inexpensive discount store brands (Wet & Wild, Sally Hansen...) to polishes from Avon, Chanel, to those that tend to be available only in a salon or beauty store (OPI, Essie, Orly, CND...). For my money, I'm an OPI girl. What I find as the main difference between discount store brands and the more expensive ones is the consistency of the polish. The less expensive brands tend to be very thin whereas the more expensive tend towards a thicker, richer consistency.

Another thing I like about OPI's polish line is the Pro-Wide brush. I think this makes it so much easier to apply polish as opposed to the small round bristle brushes in everyone else's bottles. And their range of colors is awesome.

I do use a base coat, CND's "Stickey" which is superb, and finish with Seche Vite's "Fast Drying Topcoat" product. Do two coats of OPI polish and I find I can get 2 weeks out of the manicure without any chipping or peeling.

HTH!

My idea of a balanced diet is a cookie in each hand --- Unknown
Fairly Medium foundation, Dark Brown eyes, Dark Espresso/Red highlighted hair....
BE since 1998; pekes & pugs, genealogy nut, cooking whiz, crochet, cross stitch

LittleT1277157161.7900 PostsRegistered 7/19/2008

ITA, with Lynne007!! My fav. nail brand is OPI too!! So many colors and the brushes are good. I do want to try Orly brand.

RedConvert­ibleGirl1277157959.62314102 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW

I have used Revlon with great success. Also OPI but I prefer China Glaze now since OPI isn't staying on my nails like it used to. As far as Orly? Ugh! It's one of the worst polishes I have tried. It would not go on smoothly or evenly at all - major streaks.

I think lower end polishes are more drying and harder on your nails.

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

Lynne0071277157989.063255 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010Land of Dorothy and Toto...
On 6/21/2010 LittleT said:

ITA, with Lynne007!! My fav. nail brand is OPI too!! So many colors and the brushes are good. I do want to try Orly brand.

Little T -

I did break down and buy an Orly polish a couple weeks ago. I could not stop myself. It's called "Rage" and looks like satin finish liquid rose gold. Part of their new "Foil Fx" (think that's the name) line. There's also a gold and silver color, but I had to get the rose gold one. It is GORGEOUS on, especially if you have a decent tan going (faux or real) and some rose gold jewelry to go with it (I do).

Fairly Medium foundation, Dark Brown eyes, Dark Espresso/Red highlighted hair....

LittleT1277158713.607900 PostsRegistered 7/19/2008

Hi Lynne007... I'm thinking of getting Shine the color is called by Orly! I did see all the Foil Fx color and the one you bought Rage looks so pretty!!! Mally told me on Facebook that she was wearing Shine the other day..like it alot!

LittleT1277158855.483900 PostsRegistered 7/19/2008

Sorry...me again. Lynne007, where did you purchase it at? I saw the Orly website. But, anywhere else they have it? I live in Tampa,Fl.

babs1277159067.1471006 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004ny

If there's a Sally's Beauty store around, they sell Orly.

babs :-)

Lynne0071277159486.5273255 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010Land of Dorothy and Toto...

LittleT -

I bought it at my local "Beauty Warehouse" (don't think it's a national chain), but I've seen Orly at ULTA as well. Might also try Beauty Brands stores. Babs, thanks for throwing in the Sally's Beauty - they carry quite a bit of Orly, so you should be able to grab it there too.

Good luck!

madelines1277175468.76140 PostsRegistered 5/22/2010

I want to say thank you all for taking the time to help me, i did notice the cheap ones i bought are very runny, so you all gave me some great advice, need to try the opi, chanel,ysl, orly, revlon, going to give the opi a try first, i was at walmart today, and saw nicole by opi, hope its the same didnt buy today hadnt read these before i went. If its not the same i can got to sephora or somewhere to get some. Thanks again for your help!!!!!

Sammycat11277178586.529664 PostsRegistered 9/30/2005

I like OPI and thought they were more salon oriented. Imagine my surprise to see a whole slew of colors in--of all places--our grocery store! And at a great price too. Same quality as what I'd been buying elsewhere.

Lynne0071277179204.173255 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010Land of Dorothy and Toto...
On 6/21/2010 Sammycat1 said:

I like OPI and thought they were more salon oriented. Imagine my surprise to see a whole slew of colors in--of all places--our grocery store! And at a great price too. Same quality as what I'd been buying elsewhere.

Thanks for posting this Sammycat1 - you reminded me that I've seen the OPI products in the Target stores. If memory serves, they only stock what OPI calls their "classic" colors, not any of the special seasonal colors (Shrek, Espana, etc....). But it is an option! Think the price for a bottle is same as what I've seen it for in salons though.

Lynne

angelcat471277183444.72372 PostsRegistered 7/5/2009Midwest

I really think Revlon is one of the the better less expensive polishes...most of my collection is Revlon polishes.

Phira1277184811.163355 PostsRegistered 5/8/2005Southern Illinois

I have noticed a big difference over the years. I only polish my toes and when I used cheap polish my nails would turn yellow and split. I use China Glaze and Opi exclusively now and have not had this problem.

Jadan1277185580.6445 PostsRegistered 11/27/2006Southern USA

If you're near a Sephora you might want to try their line of OPI/Sephora polishes....I have aq few and really love the coverage, one coat pretty much does it. And they have a lot of fashion forward shades. Think you'd like!

mc7831277186491.59396 PostsRegistered 4/9/2010

Hey I just wanted to let you know that there is a sale on sally beauty supply website. I want to try it. I love Opi nail polish buy for some reason the brush is not as good as it used to be.

How is the brush on orly nail polish? and that rage color is pretty also.

dgluvr1277192924.0935244 PostsRegistered 5/12/2008

I've worn nail polish for over 40 years--tried both expensive and store brands. Frankly I like the store brands. I tried OPI - took forever to dry and didn't last any longer that the less expensive ones. My favorite right now is Maybelline--Close second is Revlon-- I do my own on my real nails.(And I have to confess I am a nail polish junkie)

Last edited on 6/22/2010

Last edited on 6/22/2010

Kathleen1277201283.5312903 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down

I don't see much of a difference in nail polishes. I've used them from both ends of the price spectrum. My big complaint for the more expensive brands is that the colors I preferred were always discontinued. So, I decided to skip it and go back to the drugstore.

There was a drugstore brand Pure Ice that had a shade that I really loved - but not only did the color disappear, the brand disappeared! For the past couple of years, I've used Sally Hansen. I think it's one of the best of the drugstore brands - and I'm only using neutral colors these days.

MainelyMom­my1277201596.741588 PostsRegistered 3/8/2010

Harmful chemicals that you dont want to inhale or absorb. Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP), Formaldehyde and Toluene. You pay more to keep these out.

Check with each brand to make sure they do not contains these.

MainelyMom­my1277201775.7631588 PostsRegistered 3/8/2010

Chanel, China Glaze, OPI, Nars (new forumula) I know are all safe brands to use.

Katharita1277203688.256664 PostsRegistered 11/19/2008Hooterville, Texas

I think one of the key things that's better in more expensive polishes is the brush.

I have a Milani polish in Magenta Metal. I really love the color. The consistency is good - - - maybe a tad thinner than OPI (which are my faves) but no problem with my pedi lasting 2-3 weeks.

But the brush is a disaster and makes application very cumbersome. The brush is too thin and the bristles are too stiff.

I would prefer if they would cost more and have a better brush.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrowmindedness."- Mark Twain ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

lovestotea­ch1277204210.2214520 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009DFW Metroplex, Tx
On 6/22/2010 MainelyMommy said:

Harmful chemicals that you dont want to inhale or absorb. Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP), Formaldehyde and Toluene. You pay more to keep these out.

Check with each brand to make sure they do not contains these.

Got some Zoya at Whole Foods. So far, so good. Takes longer to dry and not as glossy. However, I need it for an occasion in July. (DD's wedding) Will check ingredient list for these chemicals. Had so many problems with "popular nail polishes." (sensitivity)

The one I bought does not have the above ingredients and again, I am not having any trouble. Thanks for the info!

Last edited on 6/22/2010

Last edited on 6/22/2010

Loves ~ dancin' & prancin' ~ ♥ ♥ ♥

lulu21277212369.89321172 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007

When I wore acrylics/gels it didn't matter whether my polish was from the dollar store or from the cosmetic counter, (I was a fan of Estee Lauder polish) as nothing chipped. The one thing I noticed was, cheaper nail polish got thick and gloppy very quickly. I started experimenting with better (not cosmetic counter) brands. While most people loved OPI, I preferred China Glaze and Essie. Eventually I took off my enhancements so staying power became an issue. As long as my girl used Orly Bonder or Stickey base coat I was okay except with Joan Rivers polish, which barely lasted a day. Recently I haven't been happy with Essie polishes. I've bought about 10 bottles over the last year and think the formulation is different. It goes on streakier and sometimes takes 3 coats to get an even look. I think OPI for Sephora is a great brand but I hate paying $9 a bottle

Jam1277212631.1031600 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007

I love Perfect Formula and will never go back to the old and time-consuming way of doing my nails. I don't miss anything about it. Every so often, I just put another coat on. I love how it hides my ridges and never chips or peels.

Don't make me use UPPERCASE! ~~~ Maxine

How do you prevent sagging? Just eat till the wrinkles fill out! ~~~ Maxine

madelines1277216851.947140 PostsRegistered 5/22/2010

I am so greatful for all of the replies!! i just started to paint my toe and fingernails , and i stand there looking at all the different ones and just cant decide what to get, so this has really helped ALOT!! Kathleen, walmart has the pure ice, you can look at there site , they have it i saw it in there yesterday and i just typed it in for you and its online too, not for sale on it but shows you what they have they have more colors in the store i saw tons. Jadan will try the sephora/opi, i love the idea of one coat. also going to give all the others a try as well. Cant thank you ladies enough!! your the BEST!!!

Page 1 of 2