Fashion & Accessories Clearance
61 Members and 13688 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Thyroid doctors - southern Indiana, Kentucky, TN or MO (St. Louis area)

Started 1265293002 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1289901207.183 by Lovely2
This is maddening and I'm at my wit's end! I'm looking for a thyroid doc who Rx's T4 AND T3, will write for dessicated natural porcine thyroid, AND does FT4, FT3 and does NOT go just by TSH.
I live in southwestern Indiana. The very southern tip of the state. Newburgh, Indiana to be exact. Just a few miles east of Evansville.
I've traveled 4 times to see a highly recommended doctor in northeastern Indiana but he is over 5 hours away. My dh goes with me. He has to take a day of vacation from work and we have to spend the night in a hotel for the appointment. The fact is, that I just plain don't get there enough to have my thyroid properly cared for and I am not doing well at all right now! :-( It really is time for me to move on to somewhere closer IF THAT'S EVEN POSSIBLE!
I do realize this is a very bad thyroid doctor area that I live in but I just thought I'd throw this out there incase anyone knows of anything.
I'm willing to travel up to 2, maybe even 3 hours or so but the 5 hour (and then some) travel time is just getting to be too much. :_|
I could possibly travel to Kentucky or Tennessee or maybe even some parts of Missouri such as the St. Louis area.
Somewhere in the Nashville area would be REALLY nice for me because we like to travel there from time to time anyway!
I looked for a Yahoo Indiana thyroid support group but the only I saw was one in the northeastern Indiana area which is where my long distance doctor is.
Any help would really be greatly appreciated! :-x

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next
zoologist12652931631745 PostsRegistered 1/29/2010
Are you looking for an endocrinologist? That's who you need to see for this.
And I am, too. My internist was a personal friend of my late dh and still is one of mine. But he turned on me like a pit bull about a year ago when I was hesitant to start on generic Synthroid. Like I'd insulted him, I guess.
Anyway, he's NOT into the level you and I are wanting, so I'm looking around for an endo.
Dr. Lemming in Indy is great - but not taking new patients. I'll see who I can find for you (and me).
ETA:
http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/indiana.htm
There are some in Bedford/So. Indiana on here.
Just do a search for "Indianapolis endocrinologists", and there's a lot of links that will list them like this one did.
--
Edited by zoologist at 02/04/2010 5:29 AM PST

Last edited on 2/4/2010

Dreamchaser12652954401847 PostsRegistered 5/15/2005
Hi zoologist. Indianapolis is too far away for me. I'm in southern Indiana and Indi is almost 3.5 hours away.
Yes, I'm looking for an endo but not necessarily only an do. Just because a doctor is an endocrinologist doesn't always mean they are the best for thyroid care. Sometimes the best ones can also be family physicians, internists or many other different types of doctors. I would never rule out any certain field.
Believe me, I am well aware of that site and many other thyroid sites to help find a doc. Unfortunately even ones on that list are not always the best. I have seen 2 docs on that list. One is too far away. Another one is one that I'm seeing right now who is terrible. And I already know from speaking with other patients, that the other ones on that list in my area are not good as well.
You see, many patients think that just because a doc is friendly and will listen to you, they are great. And they will go to that site and put the doc's name on there. Not so! They also need to do the right tests, be knowledgeable enough to read them properly and prescribe the right medicine at the right dose. That's why those lists aren't always accurate.
I prefer to get a personal recommendation if possible and be able to talk to that patient and ask them questions. That's why I'm posting this on here!
It's very complicated and hard to find the right thyroid doc. Good luck to you and me. Maybe we'll get lucky and someone can help! :-)

Disneydiva1265297847289 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007Central Florida
I live in Central Florida and had the same trouble. I know what you are going thru. Most Endo's seem to focus on diabetes and throw up their hands when it comes to thyroid issues. I think I've found one for me, female, I don't know why that seems to make a difference, but it does. Please don't take offense, but they just seem to understand this issue better. Now I'm looking for an eye doctor that understands "thyroid eye" problems. These eye doctor's don't seem to exist. I hope you find someone to help you.

zoologist12652979861745 PostsRegistered 1/29/2010
I understand totally, Dreamchaser.
Perhaps you could contact a teaching hospital and ask their recommendations.
I agree also that I'm not looking for a buddy, but rather an excellent doctor!
ETA:
If you're wanting Armour-prescribing specific MDs, here are some names who have at least prescribed it for some patients:
http://www.armourthyroid.com/con_phResults.aspx
Also, ask your Northern Indiana doctor for a recommendation, if you haven't already. Surely he knows of other MDs like himself.
--
Edited by zoologist at 02/04/2010 6:48 AM PST

Last edited on 2/4/2010

FATCATinCT12652985502554 PostsRegistered 11/18/2006
do you have any naturopaths in your area? That's who I go to, he found my hashimotos, lyme and a host of other things other dr's totally missed. He put me on Naturthroid and all is well.
good luck!!

ok4ablonde212653019878837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest
I see a Dr. Oliver in Evansville.

"We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland

spa heaven1265302287376 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005
I'm looking for the same type of doctor in Michigan.

Dreamchaser12653023081847 PostsRegistered 5/15/2005
> I live in Central Florida and had the same trouble.
> I know what you are going thru. Most Endo's seem to
> o focus on diabetes and throw up their hands when it
> comes to thyroid issues. I think I've found one for
> me, female, I don't know why that seems to make a
> difference, but it does. Please don't take offense,
> but they just seem to understand this issue better.
> Now I'm looking for an eye doctor that understands
> s "thyroid eye" problems. These eye doctor's don't
> seem to exist. I hope you find someone to help you.
That's exactly what I am hearing. That endos focus much more on diabetes, not the thyroid
Why would anyone take offense to that. It only makes sense that a woman doctor would understand this issue better! :-)

Dreamchaser12653027401847 PostsRegistered 5/15/2005
> do you have any naturopaths in your area? That's who
> I go to, he found my hashimotos, lyme and a host of
> other things other dr's totally missed. He put me on
> Naturthroid and all is well.
> good luck!!
I'm seeing a doctor right now who classifies herself as more of a holistic doctor and she is bad! Not saying they all are of course. Just that the one that I have is not good! I would love to see a good naturopath/holistic doc!
--
Edited by Dreamchaser at 02/04/2010 9:06 AM PST

Last edited on 2/4/2010

Dreamchaser12653029991847 PostsRegistered 5/15/2005
> I see a Dr. Oliver in Evansville.
So are you happy with Dr. Oliver?
I'm looking for a thyroid doc who Rx's T4 AND T3, will write for dessicated natural porcine thyroid, AND does FT4, FT3 and does NOT go just by TSH.
Does Dr. Oliver do those things?

LAB99126530573326 PostsRegistered 5/29/2008
What about Cincinnati? There are major teaching hospitals here. BTW, no medical professional that I know would only treat based on the TSH. It is not the standard of care. If your provider does that, you need to find someone else, IMO.

ok4ablonde212653073278837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest
> I see a Dr. Oliver in Evansville.
So are you happy with Dr. Oliver?
I'm looking for a thyroid doc who Rx's T4 AND T3, will write for dessicated natural porcine thyroid, AND does FT4, FT3 and does NOT go just by TSH.
Does Dr. Oliver do those things?

I don't live down there or see Dr. Oliver. (sorry, I now see where it looked like I actually see him) He is listed on the Armour thyroid site, so I assume he will prescribe the other dessicated thyroid drugs since Armour isn't available much now. I would check and have him write a script for Erfa Thyroid (available from Canada).

Dreamchaser12653074491847 PostsRegistered 5/15/2005
> What about Cincinnati? There are major teaching
> hospitals here. BTW, no medical professional that I
> know would only treat based on the TSH. It is not the
> standard of care. If your provider does that, you
> need to find someone else, IMO.
Hi lab99. Unfortunately Cicinnati is also too far for me. It's over 3.5 hours away.
Sadly there are many, many medical professionals that only look at the TSH.
Yes, that's exactly the point of this thread. To find good doctors in my area who do not go by the TSH!

Dreamchaser12653077991847 PostsRegistered 5/15/2005
> I don't live down there or see Dr. Oliver. (sorry, I
> now see where it looked like I actually see him) He
> is listed on the Armour thyroid site, so I assume he
> will prescribe the other dessicated thyroid drugs
> since Armour isn't available much now. I would check
> and have him write a script for Erfa Thyroid
> (available from Canada).
No I have no desire to see Dr. Oliver. I've already checked him out. He has terrible reviews: http://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/43201/IN/Evansville/Oliver
I have already looked at the doctors on that site.
I need feedback from people who have actually seen a doctor.

irishwoman12653103342168 PostsRegistered 3/23/2006
> This is maddening and I'm at my wit's end! I'm
> looking for a thyroid doc who Rx's T4 AND T3, will
> write for dessicated natural porcine thyroid, AND
> does FT4, FT3 and does NOT go just by TSH.
>
> I live in southwestern Indiana. The very southern tip
> of the state. Newburgh, Indiana to be exact. Just a
> few miles east of Evansville.
>
> I've traveled 4 times to see a highly recommended
> doctor in northeastern Indiana but he is over 5 hours
> away. My dh goes with me. He has to take a day of
> vacation from work and we have to spend the night in
> a hotel for the appointment. The fact is, that I
> just plain don't get there enough to have my thyroid
> properly cared for and I am not doing well at all
> right now! :-( It really is time for me to move on
> to somewhere closer IF THAT'S EVEN POSSIBLE!
>
> I do realize this is a very bad thyroid doctor area
> that I live in but I just thought I'd throw this out
> there incase anyone knows of anything.
>
> I'm willing to travel up to 2, maybe even 3 hours or
> so but the 5 hour (and then some) travel time is just
> getting to be too much. :_|
>
> I could possibly travel to Kentucky or Tennessee or
> maybe even some parts of Missouri such as the St.
> Louis area.
>
> Somewhere in the Nashville area would be REALLY
> nice for me because we like to travel there from time
> to time anyway!

>
> I looked for a Yahoo Indiana thyroid support group
> but the only I saw was one in the northeastern
> Indiana area which is where my long distance doctor
> is.
>
> Any help would really be greatly appreciated! :-x
first, iam so sorry we all have these issues with doctors!!
mainly about the thyroid..
i too have had many problems with my thyroid, from hypo-hyper goiters, and so on..
i live near paducha ky, and i see dr delarosa, i hope i spelled that right?
anyway, i took me a year of aruging with him about my levels and what my body was going therough at the time, after that, we tested evry 4-5 months, and about 3 weeks ago, my test came back normal!!!!!!!!!
he agreed, that it was fine..
so, persistance paid off for me..
he is a endo doc too, and i have to agree, that they seem more interested in diabetes than thyroid problems..
he is the only endo here and around this area..
if you need his phone no, i can give you that if you want..
iam on synthroid 100 now, and doing very well...
i dont know what he would prescribe for you???
hope ive helped??
bren

Dreamchaser12653116221847 PostsRegistered 5/15/2005
Hi irishwoman. Sounds like you've had a tough time with your doctor. I don't want to have to argue with someone a year before they will listen to me, kwim?
And Synthroid is a T-4 only drug and that's what I'm trying to stay away from.
Thank you anyway though. I do appreciate your responding! :-)

ok4ablonde212653126218837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest
Why not just ask the doctor to run the extra tests for the free T3 and T4, I'm sure they'd be happy to as they probably get a "cut" on the blood work charges.

LuvLife1265312760160 PostsRegistered 5/17/2007
Dreamchaser, are you speaking of Dr. Donald Michael in Indiana?
Have you checked out brodabarnes.org? For $18 they will send you a packet with information about natural thyroid and a list of doctors in your area.
http://brodabarnes.org/educational_packets.htm

endlesssum­mer1265312835357 PostsRegistered 8/31/2008
Dreamchaser, I sympathize with you completely. I have yet to find a decent, knowledgable dr. to help me with my thyroid, etc. I am also in search. I was going to post for you the link that zoologist posted. It's a good place to start at least to help you find the type of physician you're looking for - hopefully in the geographic area that you want. You can search various states - I see there are also some recommendations in Nashville, TN.

endlesssum­mer1265313288357 PostsRegistered 8/31/2008
Hey FATCatinCT - Does the inCT in your name mean you live in Connecticut? If so, can you tell me who you see? I'm in connecticut (fairfield county area) You sound happy w/your dr. and I am definately in search of a good (great) practitioner. Hope to hear - Tia.

LuvLife1265313541160 PostsRegistered 5/17/2007
> Why not just ask the doctor to run the extra tests
> for the free T3 and T4, I'm sure they'd be happy to
> as they probably get a "cut" on the blood work
> charges.
Doctors get extremely defensive when you start telling them how to do their job. How dare you question their ability. After all, they are God. I've had more than my fair share of crappy docs with an attitude. It's very difficult to find a good doctor these days, espeically one who deals with thyroid.
Even if you could get them to run the extra tests they are the ones who are going to decide what's normal and whether or not you need to change your treatment. And chances are they're going to look at that "normal range" and if you fall anywhere near it they're going to say "all is well, you don't need to change your treatment".

ok4ablonde212653139078837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest
Doctors get extremely defensive when you start telling them how to do their job. How dare you question their ability. After all, they are God. I've had more than my fair share of crappy docs with an attitude. It's very difficult to find a good doctor these days, espeically one who deals with thyroid.
Even if you could get them to run the extra tests they are the ones who are going to decide what's normal and whether or not you need to change your treatment. And chances are they're going to look at that "normal range" and if you fall anywhere near it they're going to say "all is well, you don't need to change your treatment".

When I was on Synthroid and I knew I was feeling worse, I printed out all the information online that I could find about Armour and showed it to my Nurse Practitioner. She wrote me my first prescription on Armour and when she left the practice, my new doctor had no problem with it either after she saw what a difference it made in my blood work.
I say if you can't get along with your doctor and get "your way" just find another one.

Dreamchaser12653140951847 PostsRegistered 5/15/2005
> Why not just ask the doctor to run the extra tests
> for the free T3 and T4, I'm sure they'd be happy to
> as they probably get a "cut" on the blood work
> charges.
No, I can assure you that unless it's a doctor who knows what they're doing when it comes to thyroid, they are not 'happy' to run the correct testing for you. As a matter of fact, it's like pulling teeth.
Plus, if you can possibly get the correct tests ran, getting the proper thyroid meds and dosage is a whole other story!

smb312653143071886 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007
I am glad that I am not the only one that cannot find a dr. that knows much about thyroid. It's a shame because so many people today have thyroid problems and I'm sure many aren't on the right meds, etc. I have read that you need both T4 and T3 in the meds. I fought a dr. to get on Armour (he no longer wanted me as a patient after that), another dr. talked me into going on synthroid (well, it ended up being Levoxyl they put me on) and now I am going to look into going back to the natural. I believe that I felt better w/ the natural and it has the T4/T3 in it.

Dreamchaser12653144501847 PostsRegistered 5/15/2005
> Doctors get extremely defensive when you start
> telling them how to do their job. How dare you
> question their ability. After all, they are God.
> I've had more than my fair share of crappy docs with
> h an attitude. It's very difficult to find a good
> doctor these days, espeically one who deals with
> thyroid.
>
> Even if you could get them to run the extra tests
> they are the ones who are going to decide what's
> normal and whether or not you need to change your
> treatment. And chances are they're going to look at
> that "normal range" and if you fall anywhere near it
> they're going to say "all is well, you don't need to
> change your treatment".