Christmas in July(R) Sale
134 Members and 11778 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Dyed my hair at home and it's too dark. What's the best way to fix?

Started 1275218755.937 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1275474847.38 by Rae44

After 6 months of highlighting my dark hair I got tired of it and decided to just dye it back at home. Now my hair is too dark. My natural hair color is a dark, dark, brown that is almost black, but not quite. I feel like my hair is so black now it looks like charcoal and I can't stand it. I understand it will wash out over time and I've washed it a few times and although it has lightened, it's only slightly lighter. Should I try to re-dye it again or just go back to the salon to have it fixed? I'm open to suggestions as to how to fix this. Thank you ladies. Gloria

Page 1 of 1
TennisCapt­ain31275219459.38425 PostsRegistered 12/5/2006

Try a good Clairfying Shampoo. Not only does it remove product build up but it will lighten your color. Leave it lathered for a few minutes. I know this works because I wanted to remove build up and it did a good job, however I didn't want to lose color and I did.

patticakes1275219800.457810 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

You can also wash with dishwashing liquid, leave on for a few minutes, and rinse well. This will take some of the color out. If it's really bad, there is a product on the market called Oops. You can buy it at Walgreens. It will take all the color out that you put in. Be prepared with another package of color more to your liking as you might have to recolor it. I had to use this once and it did work.

Domestic G­oddess1275220199.06293 PostsRegistered 4/25/2007

Good morning.

I had the very same thing happen to me a few months ago. I asks the forum for suggestions and got plenty. One interesting one was to wash your hair in liquid TIDE laundry soap!. Another was to was to wash your hair in dish soap (letting it sit on hair for a couple minutes) rinse well then use conditioner. The best thing I found was to go to a salon and ask for a "Malibu Treatment". Costs about $10, but it is put on your hair and the beautician checks it periodically to see how light it is getting. You can choose how long to sit with it on your hair. Talk to your stylist and tell her the color you were trying to get, I'm sure she/he can help you.

It worked for me....and was worth the price for the peace of mind. Good luck!

barbados1275220315.57314405 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007

I use dark brown when I dye my hair and after a few washings with ordnairy shampoo it tones down. Then the color is fine.

bozismydog1275222757.97722 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006Richmond, VA - transplant from MA

I also dye my hair at home and it is usually a little too dark at first and then lightens up after a few days. I have always heard that a green or blue shampoo will help strip the color a little.

hulagirl1275222788.6136787 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Not sure if they even make this anymore, but Prell shampoo will strip color......takes several washings, but it always worked in the past.

stts1275222874.1532056 PostsRegistered 6/15/2006

This is why you should never color your hair yourself!

Shelbelle1275223766.33733951 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

This will work I have done this. Lather using either a dandruff shampoo or a clarifying shampoo onto DRY hair. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes before rinsing. You can repeat as many times as you may need to.

TommysMommy1275223887.62732 PostsRegistered 5/21/2008

Hi Glorimar, This happened to me as well. I dyed my hair dark brown & it came out black. I tried the Prell trick, 2 times a day, but it really didn't fade the color. In the end, I went to a salon & the stylist put highlights in, then stripped the dark color. After that, he put a toner in & now I have light brown hair, which is what my natural color was to begin with. I had been dying it dark for years & got tired of it when it came out black. I wouldn't try the at home color removal kits such as Color OOps, I have heard horror stories of hair turning orange after stripping & when you go to recolor, it doesn't color the orange. I think it is worth it to spend a little more & have a professional do it. Hope that helps!

mariclau1275225321.643178 PostsRegistered 10/23/2007
On 5/30/2010 stts said:

This is why you should never color your hair yourself!

i do it all the time and have never had a problem. You just need to know to select a color slightly lighter than you want it to turn out, at least for brown hair.

Mathilde1275225399.431091 PostsRegistered 2/29/2008

Hair Oops is a great product. It will lift one layer of color from your hair, which seems like what you need. You will need to then re-color your hair to the shade you want. Be sure to follow the directions exactly.

I have also used Prell shampoo and Dawn dishwashing liquid to lighten my hair coloring. These work more gradually than Hair Oops.

You can't lift color with color, so I wouldn't recommend putting any more color on your hair until you get this one out. (If you do that, Hair Oops will only take off this last layer of color.)

All of these can damage your hair, so condition, condition, condition.

just bee1275230166.8714006 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico

This is another reason we should stop our stockpiling. I had a couple boxes of hair color in the "pantry" and hated to waste them, so the same thing happened to me. I used a color that I'd used before but it just looked too dark. Usually I can ignore these things, but this was really a distraction. Goth does not suit me.

Desperate, I went to Sally's and they sold me a product that quickly and easily removed the too-dark color. Then I had to buy a color to cover the vivid orange that the first product left behind. It took a few attempts before I could cover the clown hair, but there was still some brassiness to deal with. It was a mistake that would just not end.

After this fiasco I just decided to stop messing with color. Haven't dyed it in years and the texture and color have actually improved. {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.

smoochy1275232114.8172516 PostsRegistered 10/8/2006pure Michigan!

and this is one of the reasons I don't color my hair any more. Before I went au natural, letting my gray grow in, I spent a fortune on salon color services. Looked good. But periodically I would decide to save $$$ and do it at home. Mistake. My hair, porous from so many dye jobs over many years, "grabbed" the color and turned almost black every time. My gray roots usually ended up "hot" as they say in the salon; reddish-pink. None of this went well with my skin tone. Picture the entire look: not attractive. Finally I realized that my correct "look" is what I am: a fifties-something woman who is reasonably attractive, well groomed, wearing minimal but well applied makeup, tasteful conservative clothing, and with NATURAL salt and pepper hair that actually GOES with my complexion. My growing out process was painless because I wear my hair so short, getting it cut every five weeks. All the dyed color was gone in five months. Now my hair is in good condition. So if you are feeling bold, think about going gray, naturally. If that doesn't appeal to you, you may be better off spending the money for salon coloring to get a nicer result.

NurseRecru­iter1275234314.90713869 PostsRegistered 6/9/2005Suburban Chicago

Here's another home ready. Saturate hair in olive oil - oil "pulls" color. Wrap your head in plastic (shopping bag or plastic wrap) and let it sit on the hair for at least an hour, longer is better. Wash with Dawn dish soap a few times to get all the oil out and the high pH of Dawn will also pull color. Remember to condition!!!

NOTE: Trying to dye with a lighter color will only make your hair DARKER. Color grabs color, color will not lighten color.

One other home remedy is the Color Opps product which I have only heard good things about. Chances are, you will need to re-color your hair immediately after using Color Oops and NOW you can use a lighter color. Don't panic if your hair looks orange-y after the Color Ooops. Walgreens also sells a hair color fixing product but can't remember if it is Color Oops or another brand. Google Color Oops, great website with lots of info.

Good luck and you might just want to go to a salon just make sure you tell them you don't want your hair fried or frizzy at the end of the process!

Are we friends on Facebook yet? See my profile for FB contact info!

stevieb1275234652.2427250 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007

Unless you have very strong healthy hair, GO TO THE SALON. I used to do my color and several times when I received results I didn't like I redid it myself. Every time, this led to several months of having hair that looked damaged and unhealthy, which then led to my constant babying my hair, which was more work in the long run, and yet the color never was really to my liking until a few months had gone by, my hair was healthier, and I then re-colored it again. Having said that, it does lighten over time, and fairly quickly in my experience.

BacktoBrun­ette1275236376.534256 PostsRegistered 12/22/2008PA, but a NJ native

#1 . Prell shampoo

#2. Head & Shoulders shampoo

Wash hair daily until desired shade is achieved, then every 2-3 days (unless hair is oily). Also, make sure your hair is well-conditioned, as the above will not only fade color, but will also dry out you hair.

I've researched this EXTENSIVELY, and these are the two best that kept on coming up. I've also had great results myself. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Good luck! Bru

~ The only thing that every person deeply wants is to be validated; to know that they matter. ~

jarae1275238160.16120 PostsRegistered 2/2/2010

There is a product called oops I think you can get it at cvs and walgreens, its for hair color mistakes. It strips your hair of all artifical color and I dont think you can color again for a week or so, it will tell on box. My daughter is a hairdresser and she told me about it there is actually other products that can be purchased at beauty supply and possibly sallys that will help also.

Nightowlz1275425350.5679195 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I have used medium ash brown & it left my hair too dark & I had that Gothic look. It only took a couple of weeks for it to lighten up & look better. I washed it right after I colored it before I applied the conditioner & washed it every other day. Now I use light ash brown. If I were you I would just wash it every day instead of applying more chemicals. Good Luck.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

Rae441275474847.38511 PostsRegistered 4/17/2010
On 5/30/2010 Domestic Goddess said:

Good morning.

I had the very same thing happen to me a few months ago. I asks the forum for suggestions and got plenty. One interesting one was to wash your hair in liquid TIDE laundry soap!. Another was to was to wash your hair in dish soap (letting it sit on hair for a couple minutes) rinse well then use conditioner. The best thing I found was to go to a salon and ask for a "Malibu Treatment". Costs about $10, but it is put on your hair and the beautician checks it periodically to see how light it is getting. You can choose how long to sit with it on your hair. Talk to your stylist and tell her the color you were trying to get, I'm sure she/he can help you.

It worked for me....and was worth the price for the peace of mind. Good luck!

Domestic Goddess..what a great name! I like yr suggestions..as to the original poster, I just got the craving (last month) to get rid of my highlights and go brunette(my natural)...just for info...I made another appt yesterday to go have carmel highlights on front and sides. Funny how we change our minds...

Page 1 of 1