TSV(R) Preview
160 Members and 11249 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Ingrown chin hairs...ugh!

Started 1264825308 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1264883068 by TooManyCats
I'm naturally blonde and most of the hair on my face is peach fuzz, but being in my mid 40s, I also have a few hairs on my upper lip and chin that are darker and thicker, so I typically pluck them.
For the past few months, I've been having more frequent issues with ingrown hairs on my chin. It tends to be the same two or three spots. They end up looking like zits, but they don't really go away until I eventually dig out the hair...which hurts and leaves a scar.
I've also used cream removers, but for me they tend to remove just the peach fuzz (which I would rather leave alone). Shaving gives me flaky skin and, again, works better on the fuzz than the "bad" hairs.
I'm thinking about going to the derm for this, but before I do, I thought some of the beauties here may have some advice for me?

Page 1 of 1
scyst6126482578965 PostsRegistered 10/11/2009
TooManyCats - I feel your paint..I get ingrowns (and I have three lovely cats too!)
According to my aesthetician plucking only makes the ingrowns worse. I forget the logic, but darned if she isn't right..the more I would pluck the more I would notice hairs becoming ingrown. I have struggled with it all my life..the women in my family are naturally hairy..chin, mustache..sigh...
I have waxed for years, but that isn't good for the skin either....my best investment is electrolysis...best $$$ I've ever spent.
It's a commitment, but it sounds like you don't have that many hairs..have you considered electrolysis?
To treat the ingrowns there's something called TendSkin that works wonders. I tend to get ingrowns at the bikini line and I switched to something called ShaveWorks The Cool FIx..good stuff..Sephora carries it.

lurkeyloo1264826158111 PostsRegistered 3/16/2007
Sephora also carries a product by Bliss called "Ingrown Eliminating Pads".
I bought them during the friends and family sale, but, of course, I haven't had any problems with ingrown hairs since I got them, so I've only used them once.

siouxmac126482649621 PostsRegistered 3/1/2006New England
I'm embarassed to admit that I, too, suffer from this syndrome! It's the same 5 or 6 hairs that repeatedly offend; as they're growing in, they create a pimple-like bump, sometimes with an actual white head, that I then have to nick with the edge of my tweezers in an effort to free the wiry hair and pluck it. I don't know how on earth to prevent this and make it so that the hair just grows in quietly without creating a blemish, and believe me, I've tried everything. Exfoliation, Renova, TendSkin, Acne-mycin, you name it. It's almost gotten to the point where I have several zit-like bumps on my chin and upper lip at any given time, and of course, if I can feel a hair under there trying to emerge, I can't help but try to pluck it out. I, too, would love to hear how other ladies deal with this issue.
Like I said, these are more than just wiry hairs growing in - they're wiry hairs that have trouble breaking through the skin on a consistent basis and end up either being attacked by me or forming a little pus-topped pimple (and then being attacked by me).
Do other people experience this, and if so, how do you handle it?
Oh, how low I've sunk in the name of beauty and hairlessness!

JewelryIsM­yPassion1264827151617 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
I wax that entire area, it acts as an exfoiliator. Then I use 12% AHA on the area every night. Spread a heavy dose, rub it in using a circular motion completely along the entire jaw/chin area and on the neck.You have nothing to lose other than the skin thats growing over that hair follicle

English is my 4th language.

JoElla126483122410552 PostsRegistered 8/6/2006Texas
Ugh.. count me in with the hairy and ingrown gang. :_|
What works for me is pulling downward in the direction of the wisker growth and using a buff puff single.

angelcat4712648321162372 PostsRegistered 7/5/2009Midwest
Tend Skin and the Bliss pads both have salicylic acid,which exfoliates the skin and keeps the hair from growing in,but save your money and buy Stridex pads instead,they're the same thing.There is also an rx called Vaniqa,which is supposed to make the hair grow thinner and more slowly.I am also a member of the chin hair club,but I don't get the ingrowns.

beauty jun­kie12648359028371 PostsRegistered 11/1/2006Ft Laud
You ladies have made my day. My sister and I both suffer from this problem and we thought we were the only ones. I always had a little hair on the upper lip that I removed but the chin thing didn't start till my 40's.I have tried every type of hair removal and treatments but to no avail.I am not a canidate for laser as I keloid and I can't afford it anyway.I always dig at them till they get infected,its awful. I don't want my DH to even tough my chin area becauce it feels like you are reading braile.I dispise it but don't know what to do. I have tried epilation but that seems to make more bumps.
--
My Cats are my Heart!!

The Rainbow Bridge-we do not remember days,we remember moments!!

sashajazz12648383781983 PostsRegistered 8/5/2007The beautiful Hudson Valley region of NY
They are the bane of my existence! I too, have tried everything on the market (including SA) to no avail. I have considered electrolysis, even though I know it is expensive, because they are so bad and embarassing. I have to pick them out otherwise they cause terrible bumps under my skin that looks like acne and hurts like heck! I am so disappointed that someone on this topic says she has had electrolysis and it didn't worked. Maybe I will someday invest in laser but for now I just have to do the best that I can.
I use retin A 3-4 times a week and it has helped a bit (not much) but these suckers are deep and when I pull them, they hurt! Don't mean to be gross, but if I am lucky enough to actually get them (and not have the hair break above the skin), the bulb coming through the skin feels like a boulder! OUCH!!!
--
Take a second to help an animal who needs you...it costs you nothing:
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3
41, brown hair, hazel eyes,
medium/combo skin.

I don't trust anyone who doesn't love dogs.......................

Ravenwolf126484219638 PostsRegistered 11/11/2005
There is a product line called " Magic", that gets rid of razor bumps. You might want to try that and see if that works. It is in drugstores, Walmart, Target, etc. It can be found in the men's shaving products or the African American hair care isle.

jenni212648428122970 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007
those little battery operated shavers are the best, also, salicylic acid i think works...
check out cosmeticscop dot com for that info...
there's something called 'tend skin' i think on sephora and other places, i used to get samples from them, for ingrown hairs

jenni212648430612970 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007
you might also want to watch what's in your diet...are there a lot of hormones in your foods? meats, chicken, milk, eggs...
this is why some women get them in their 40's, the hormone change...
and don't dig! that can cause scarring...salicylic acid is amazing, i wonder if doing the aspirin mask might help?
(oh and avoid the great hormone disruptor, sugar!)

petepetey1264856181717 PostsRegistered 9/8/2005
I'm one of you too! My most embarassing beauty horror. It's been going on for years.
I have tried electrolosis, laser removal, that shaver thing, vaniqa, anything else I've missed, I've tried it and those little black thick hairs keep coming back.
What does sort of work is bump stop cream. It's in the mens shaving section. What also works is to have a hair instead of a hole. I just suffer with it sometimes, wear a turtle neck shirt and hope no one is laughing at me.

rnmomma1264861429671 PostsRegistered 12/31/2009Northeast OHIO
Just jumping in to let you beauties know you are not alone I am 36 and have been shaving my facial hair since I was 14. IT S*CKS! I wish there was an easy solution. The ingrowns can be so painful and annoying.

kirbysgirl12648615111501 PostsRegistered 5/10/2008Philadelphia
I have been using this for ingrown hairs (in bikini area) and it's working!
http://www.blincinc.com/#ingrown

KathyPet12648629448227 PostsRegistered 1/25/2006Beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Check out a prescription product called Vaniqa. I have been using it for abount 7 weeks now and cannot believe the difference it has made. I used to pluck black chin hairs every single day. It has been a week now and not a single black hair has made a appearance. You do have to apply twice a day religiously and if you stop using it your hair growth will resume. It takes about a month of use to really start seeing results but I love it. It has also substantially reduced growth in the mustache area above my lip. I will never stop using it!

Deep inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out. I can usually shut her up with cookies!!

katie girl1264863513583 PostsRegistered 1/29/2008New Jersey
KathyPet what is Vaniqa? Is it prescription? Where do you get it? I never have ingrown hairs but those constant chin underhairs are miserable and occasionally I forget to shave them and I feel totally self conscious.
--
soccer, pearls and more soccer

spoiled rotten pearl shopper and soccer nut

KathyPet12648638778227 PostsRegistered 1/25/2006Beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
It is a prescription but any MD can write it for you. It only comes in one strength so it is easy to write a prescription since you do not have to worry about what strength. A tube lasts about 8-10 weeks and runs $70.00 at Wal mart Phamacy. Go ahead and google it. Read the comments. It does not seeem to work for all but it has done wonders for me.

Deep inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out. I can usually shut her up with cookies!!

jtdmum1264865562575 PostsRegistered 1/26/2008
I've used the bliss pads, they do work very well. I got so sick of these little beauties popping up on my chin I invested in a Tria. I'm about 2 months in and I have to say it does work very, very well. It's not "recommended" for chin, but I did read here on the board others used it safely in the area, so I tried it. Great results the first time. I still get a few strays, but have to say it's worth the investment. I've used it on other areas and getting good results. It's an investment, but so is Electrolysis or Vaniqua. I figured I wasn't getting younger, this wasn't going away any time soon, and I'm worth it.

Keli1312648659107516 PostsRegistered 1/24/2006
I use my Tria. I have no more hair on my chin or upperlip.

depglass126486605824103 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006
Years ago, before I ever heard the word exfoliation, I used to get these ingrown hair bumps on my legs. What cured them was salt or sugar scrub exfoliation. I'm thinking the same would work on your face. You will have to do it for a few weeks to see results, but it should clear the problem completely. Then just keep up the scrub routine.

TooManyCats12648830682694 PostsRegistered 7/5/2009
Thanks, everyone, I appreciate your input. :)

Page 1 of 1