Better Than Black Friday
66 Members and 16237 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Suntan Lotion and Expiration Dates

Started 1275098862.333 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1276133771.333 by Dharma_Initiative

I have a brand new bottle of Neutrogena SPF 45 Face Lotion that must have gotten misplaced in my stash.

Never opened with an expiration date of 5/2010.

I know that the lotion is still good ... but how safe is it to use? and how long is it good for after the expiration date?

Page 1 of 1
cassiem1275150915.326849 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

It's safe to use, but the actives for the sunscreen aren't active after the expiration date if they are chemical sunscreens. If they are zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, they will still work.

SilentDance1275209572.5814859 PostsRegistered 10/20/2008Location, location, location!

According to Dr. Neil Schultz he states an expiration date is the amount of time the mfg tests out the product only and it still works for "day, months and years" after the expiration date.

Here's the video:

http://www.dermtv.com/does-sunscreen-work-after-its-expiration-date

Smile


patticak81275243862.537115 PostsRegistered 11/17/2007computer

Hi there everyone,new too this board.Can someone tell me,if one should put sunscreen

befor moisturizer and makeup or after? Thanks

patticak8

missy11275247226.74332591 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

It's fine to use.

missy11275247285.5232591 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

I put my sunscreen on first, then my foundation.

lyn in MI1275247725.0824630 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan
On 5/30/2010 patticak8 said:

Hi there everyone,new too this board.Can someone tell me,if one should put sunscreen

befor moisturizer and makeup or after? Thanks

I use physical sunscreen, so I apply it after my skin care products and prior to makeup.

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
♥ Birman =^..^= Servant ♥

lovestodan­ce1275247872.9634917 PostsRegistered 6/12/2006
On 5/30/2010 SilentDance said:

According to Dr. Neil Schultz he states an expiration date is the amount of time the mfg tests out the product only and it still works for "day, months and years" after the expiration date.

Here's the video:

http://www.dermtv.com/does-sunscreen-work-after-its-expiration-date

Thanks so much for taking the trouble for giving this link.

I always worry about expiration dates on certain things.

lovestodance

Smile

Last edited on 5/30/2010

Last edited on 5/30/2010

SilentDance1275255966.9314859 PostsRegistered 10/20/2008Location, location, location!
On 5/30/2010 lovestodance said:
On 5/30/2010 SilentDance said:

According to Dr. Neil Schultz he states an expiration date is the amount of time the mfg tests out the product only and it still works for "day, months and years" after the expiration date.

Here's the video:

http://www.dermtv.com/does-sunscreen-work-after-its-expiration-date

Thanks so much for taking the trouble for giving this link.

I always worry about expiration dates on certain things.

lovestodance

Smile

Last edited on 5/30/2010

You're welcome.

Lately, I'm not so quick to toss things due to expiration dates, but will toss it if I absolutely hate the product or if it has a funky odor.

Smile


SilentDance1276133578.74714859 PostsRegistered 10/20/2008Location, location, location!

I just wanted to bump this thread up because I found an article from medicinenet.com that states sunscreens should be disposed of yearly since they lose their potency. So while they may be still good after expiration dates they may not protect as well.

Here is the info:

http://www.medicinenet.com/sunscreens/article.htm

Smile


Dharma_Ini­tiative1276133771.334147 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007

Chemical sunscreens go on skin first, then all other products. Physical sunblocks go on last, after all other products. All sunscreens should be replaced yearly to work effectively. After their potency is gone you're basically using it as a lotion only.

Page 1 of 1