Keurig Offer
161 Members and 16220 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Pink Scalp and Thinning Hair--normal after 50?

Started 1274463627.847 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1274809361.937 by csv320

Ladies,

Have you any ideas of cause or cure for my pink scalp

and thinning hair? Not itchy or painful--just not

pretty.  TIA, Seannie

Page 1 of 2
just bee1274464062.6114317 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico

I'm beginning to think that almost anything weird is "normal" after 50.  Are you getting sun on your scalp?  Using a new product?

The thinning just appeared recently for me.  I've always had criminally thick hair and now I'm shedding like a collie.  Need to get my thyroid checked, I guess, but I'm slow about making appointments.

You may be developing a sensitivity to hair products.  I never noticed any issues until I tried Ojon.  Loved the scent but couldn't use it.  Broke out like a fourteen year-old and scratched myself like... well, a collie.

I'll be interested to see what kind of responses you get because I'm certain others have noticed similar issues.

My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.

bmorechick1274474144.487722 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007

Luckily, my hair is thicker now than it ever was & i'm 54.  i will attribute that to being in the gym 4 days a week after work & i drink an awful lot of water.  who knows.  i never did that when i was younger.  my sister went through the pink scalp & hair falling out like crazy.  it may be worth doing as you said & have your thyroid checked.  after she switched shampoos multiple times, cut her hair & quit coloring it, she found out it was her thyroid - not her hair care regime.  shes on medication & has her hair back...she looks great!  {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

rondell1274474497.54713373 PostsRegistered 12/17/2009USA

Thinning hair in women can be hereditary. Some develop male pattern baldness. I have thin hair at age 60, while it was super thick as a younger woman. I'm not showing any scalp yet, but Mom is and she is 82. If I live that long, I'm sure I'll be really really thin and showing my scalp. It that happens, I'm wearing a wig.

It goes with the territory much of the time. Getting older is not for sissies, let me tell you.

Having already mentioned wigs, there are some really beautiful ones available today and are not hard to put up with, either. They have come a long way.

I don't mind getting older, it's growing old that I don't like.

Last edited on 5/21/2010

Last edited on 5/21/2010

Shelbelle1274474772.18734456 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Start taking 5000 mcg Biotin daily and 1000 mg daily of Everning Primrose Oil supplements. also, try something like Toppik and sprinkle it in thinning areas, this will be a big help.

LuckyPeach1274475031.92310961 PostsRegistered 5/7/2008Chicagoan now in LA

Hi Seannie~

I would suggest a full hormonal panel with focus on the thyroid.  Once you get into the reality of perimeno and meno, estrogen and progesterone fall and everything can get out of balance.  Do you also suffer from fatigue, outer 1/3 of eyebrow missing, weight gain or hard to lose weight?

The best thyroid tests include:  TSH, FREE T3, FREE T4 and 8 am cortisol for starters.  If your doc only wants to test TSH (a pituitary hormone) and T4 (thyroid storage hormone), be warned that they would likely only prescribe Synthroid (synthetic T4) when there are many other choices if your thyroid is out of whack.

You want to test the FREES so you know what the actual figures are for how your thyroid is literally doing, not just if the pituitary is stimulating it.  You also want to test cortisol to see if your adrenals are strong.  If they aren't, you won't be successful with thyroid meds.  Tired adrenals will block thyroid hormone.

I lost 1/2 my hair due to being hypothyroid and once on meds for thyroid (Naturethroid) and shot adrenals, I was able to grow it all back.  It took a couple of years to grow it but at least I got to the root (haha) of the actual cause.  Good luck~Peach

Seannie1274487216.67780 PostsRegistered 8/21/2008

Thank you ladies so much! 

Seannie

icaughtu1274493085.62149 PostsRegistered 11/16/2004

Oh my gosh. I rarely post; even less since new boards but I used to check sometimes here to see if anybody posted about a pink scalp!

I am 59 and have had a "pink scalp" since about 47 or 48 years old. I have been to doctors and they can find nothing wrong. I even got to the point that I was checking out little old ladies in the store (I know that sounds horrible) when they had a pink scalp.

I thought it had something to do with being fair and of Irish heritage. Not sure, but if I did not color my hair I would have white or gray hair totally! I still find myself constantly checking people out, even on t.v. when they have white hair. I wish I knew what causes this. Whatever it is I am in perfect health. No other problems except I have a pink scalp; really obvious in my part. Especially when my hair needs coloring.

csv3201274493202.7976724 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007

This is such an issue with menopausal women, WHY are doctors so freakin' CLUELESS?

I have been to two doctors, and they both are useless.

icaughtu1274493591.077149 PostsRegistered 11/16/2004

mj198, I have not idea why doctors don't know anything. I do know now that I was in perimonopause at the time. I was one of the lucky ones; did not have hot flashes, etc. I did not even know I was going through it except for some things like now I think might have been realated.

Like bone pains in my feet of all places. Never get those anymore. Weird headaches that would last for a week; don't have those anymore either. I went through menopause (was finished w/periods at 50. Still have no idea why I have a pink scalp!

kismet131274496295.181 PostsRegistered 5/21/2010

Ladies. I have been a lurker for years and this subject really caught my eye. In fact I am posting for the first time. I am 53 have been menopausal since the age of 46. For the past year I have noticed my scalp being bright pink and have been losing more hair than has been normal for me in the past. I also have been having pains on the top of my feet and in my toes. About a month ago I was shopping at a local store and noticed a woman I'm guessing to be about 40 with longish straight brown hair parted down the middle with a bright pink scalp. I seriously thought about asking her about it but thought that that would be rude. I now wish I had been rude. I am also looking for input from all of you.

Jody

Sandgirl1274496470.92618 PostsRegistered 6/13/2008

NIOXIN, NIOXIN, NIOXIN

I am screaming  (((((NIOXIN))))  It detoxifys the scalp, my hair dresser told me KEEP USING IT, it takes the dead skin off your scalp just like skin care products do. My scalp is now SUPER healthy and my hair is growing and now falling out.

My husband uses this too and his bald spot is almost filled in...........NO JOKE!!!

"A DOG WEARS IT'S HEART ON IT'S TAIL"

JesusRocks1274546291.82261 PostsRegistered 1/9/2009

I am  perimenopausal, almost 50, and just recently noticed my scalp was becoming a little pink. I am a light blonde and it's always been kinda white, but after a recent hair coloring noticed the pink. My thyroid hormones are ok, recently checked, so I assume it is one of those irritating menopausal changes like the slight thinning of my already fine hair. I started using Joan Rivers hair powder( it's make-up for hair sold on QVC) just in the partline and around the forehead hairline when it's obvious. I use the light blonde and it helps. I have to use a lot of powder, but I don't use it everyday. It just depends on how my hair works that day.

JesusRocks1274546331.127261 PostsRegistered 1/9/2009

What is NIOXIN??

deeva1274546613.8932087 PostsRegistered 1/8/2005stuck in the middle

I have to disagree on the Nioxin. I used it for two years with no difference. It made my scalp feel tingly and it smelled good, but what a waste of money.

plainjane ­831274546807.453846 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I am amost 56. My hair is much thinner and "limp" looking, but my scalp does not show through. I use Pantene extra body shampoo and conditoner and it helps tremedously. Are you on a new med? My friend said blood pressure meds do that to her.

Lotus~1274547020.95335476 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY

Seanie......I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but I've had a similar issue.....If you click on THIS, it's a copy of my thread and my situation.  I have an UPDATE on there too.

Good Luck.

"After me....you come first."~unknown~
My sweet girl Ashley crossed over The Rainbow Bridge, Wed., 5/22/13. Miss you madly sweet girl. <3
RIP Jack <3 , my "Old Man" 7/31/13 Be nice to Ashley.

just bee1274547829.43314317 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico
On 5/22/2010 LotusLvr said:

Seanie......I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but I've had a similar issue.....If you click on THIS, it's a copy of my thread and my situation.  I have an UPDATE on there too.

Good Luck.

LotusLvr --

I don't know if anyone recommended Ojon, but I would not.  I generally have no reactions to food, products, or plants, but as much as I loved the smell of Ojon, I just couldn't use it.  Broke out like an adolescent and scratched myself like a collie.  Had to pitch the stuff.

My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.

Lotus~1274548954.13735476 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY

No, I'm not getting the Ojon......went with my hairsylist recommendations.  Did you read my "Update"? I had some product information there.

To the poster that mentioned doctors being clueless..........I totally agree.  Most of them poo-poo it....they don't realize how traumatizing it is for a woman to lose hair.

Last edited on 5/22/2010

Last edited on 5/22/2010

Last edited on 5/22/2010

"After me....you come first."~unknown~
My sweet girl Ashley crossed over The Rainbow Bridge, Wed., 5/22/13. Miss you madly sweet girl. <3
RIP Jack <3 , my "Old Man" 7/31/13 Be nice to Ashley.

WillEscape­CAsoon1274685040.3333194 PostsRegistered 3/5/2009

Your hormones are changing its natural. Still if it makes you uncomfortable or nervous that it may get worse check with your doctor.

Good4u1274707662.643189 PostsRegistered 1/12/2008USA - Midwest

Indeed, the thinning hair and pink scalp are hormonally related.  You are not sick nor weird. It is for some women more than others, due to menopause.  I am experiencing it now.  Accept the signs of aging and look for solutions that can help. 

Beauty is ALWAYS before age...(Dorthy Parker misquoted intentionally)
Light-golden warm skin tone (dry side), olive-green eyes, medium brunette: Dominant Color season - Warm Autumn.

LuckyPeach1274715010.97310961 PostsRegistered 5/7/2008Chicagoan now in LA
On 5/22/2010 JesusRocks said:

I am  perimenopausal, almost 50, and just recently noticed my scalp was becoming a little pink. I am a light blonde and it's always been kinda white, but after a recent hair coloring noticed the pink. My thyroid hormones are ok, recently checked, so I assume it is one of those irritating menopausal changes like the slight thinning of my already fine hair. I started using Joan Rivers hair powder( it's make-up for hair sold on QVC) just in the partline and around the forehead hairline when it's obvious. I use the light blonde and it helps. I have to use a lot of powder, but I don't use it everyday. It just depends on how my hair works that day.

Hi JesusRocks and other beauties dealing with thinning hair~

I noticed that you said your thyroid hormones were OK.  Did your doc tell you this?  Did you get a copy of your scores?  The ranges of testing were set by sick persons which means to be out of range one would have to be extremely ill.  One can be quite unhealthy and be in range.  Healthy TSH would be .4-2.0 with no thyroid symptoms (important) and FREE T3 optimal near top of range or slightly over, FREE T4 optimal is mid-range.  Cannot stress enough that it is important to get test scores and research what is considered optimal.  Doctors are trained only to treat the very ill.

Beauties:  if you get your hormones checked, research the meaning of the scores and correct deficiencies, the hair and scalp issues should correct themselves.  The body is a wondrous thing if we give it what it needs.  I lost half my hair due to thyroid issues (yes, my FREE T3 & FREE T4 were in *cough, cough* "range."  I got them to optimal levels) and after using natural desiccated thyroid meds for two years, it all grew back. No expensive hair products needed.Wink  Best wishes~Peach

blondie461274757547.17332 PostsRegistered 1/5/2010

I just talked to my derm about this last week.  She said to be sure it is not a physical problem (ie, thyroid).  If not, to use MEN'S Rogaine.  If that doesn't work, she knows someone who makes hair "caplets".  I did buy a wig today.  I hate spending the money on Rogaine if there's no guarantee it will work.  I am 63, have always had thin, fine blonde hair.  But now on top I can see every follicle :(

drkcharger1274762250.063774 PostsRegistered 2/17/2005

Lots of good suggestions and i don't want to sound heartless or anything but sometimes its just  the facts of life. I also have thinning hair and i'm 55. menopausal and have seen many docs. thyroid you name it.

If you have watched talk shows or read different magazines on this issue you will know you'r not alone.

They say something like 70 some % of women have or will have thinning hair and there's not much you can do about it. Unless it is thyroid or another condition that may be treatable the only thing is rogaine thats proven to re-grow hair. If you stop using it though, your hair will fall out again.

Women even in their 20's can start losing hair. In fact they say most will slowly start losing hair in their 20's just won't really notice it much until later like 50's or so.

But of course their are those lucky ones who never do even in their 80's.

I have tried just about everything including Nioxin and nothing. I am now taking biotin and evening primrose and hoping for a miracle!

I hope you will have a better outcome than i but for those of us  who are still thinning we are not alone.

BeautyAddi­ction1274789094.055777 PostsRegistered 6/8/2007NY

I got them to optimal levels) and after using natural desiccated thyroid meds for two years, it all grew back.

Lucky Peach,

What natural products did you use?  Thanks in advance.

Last edited on 5/25/2010

Last edited on 5/25/2010

OVER 60: SKIN - menopausal, dry, not sensitive, few eye wrinkles, mouth to chin (puppet) lines.
HAIR - dry, dyed, curly, frizzy shoulderr length/NOW STRAIGHTENED

ok4ablonde21274800910.7338837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest

I'm 57 and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 5 years ago.  Synthroid didn't work so now I'm on ERFA Thyroid from Canada since I can't get Armour locally.  My hair was thinning but now it's back to normal.

However, I have a fair complexion and the only time I notice the pink scalp is right after I color my hair.  I have been experimenting with this and haven't colored my hair now for 3 months (ugh!) to see if it's the hair color causing it, but I have a box of color waiting on the counter for me tonight.  And I bet right after I color my scalp will be pink again.

"We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland

Page 1 of 2