Guaranteed Delivery
125 Members and 15638 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Hair loss with WEN

Started 1264557088 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1288472533.113 by haveagoodday
I got WEN last month when it was a TSV and have been using it since I got it. My hair looks really nice when I use it. But when I'm in the shower and combing through my hair, I have been noticing clumps falling out. Then I noticed my hair in the front is really thin. I am young and I have a ton of hair, so that's not normal for my hair to fall out. My hair does look really good when I use it though. Well, for the past couple days I have been using my usual Aveda shampoo and conditioner and hardly any hair comes out. Do others experience this too and what could be the cause of the fallout? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2
monet12645573545182 PostsRegistered 6/8/2007
I haven't had that problem with WEN. I've only been using it since the TSV.
When winter started, I seemed to be dropping hair like crazy and wondered if it was my shampoo. It stopped with WEN. I think hair sheds yearly. Maybe it's different times for different people.
If it continues, I would stop using WEN and consult a Dr.
--
Spring/Summer Neutral - blonde, blue eyes, fair/fairly light foundation -

SilentDance126455794414863 PostsRegistered 10/20/2008Location, location, location!
Wen either works for you or not. I've learned to work around it and finish up what I have. With that said, I just think it's a bad recommendation to suggest to comb wet hair especially when it's soaking wet and hasn't been at least a little bit towel dried. The experts say to never brush wet hair and to comb through as little as possible when wet.
Anyway, have you checked the hairs you lost? I read somewhere that if it has a little bulb on end (usually white) it just means the hair was already dead and out of the scalp, so that is what you might be experiencing.
It also helps to comb out hair before you wash and see how much is lost because the conditioner just may be loosening up hair that is already out.
I'm not making excuses for Wen, since I'm not a big fan of it to begin with but I know it's probably unsettling to lose hair and becoming afraid to use products makes it worse. Switch up your shampoo and see what happens.
:)
--
Gotta love the Perricone glow!
"It's a bitter sweet symphony, this life."

bearbear1264560760634 PostsRegistered 8/24/2007Texas
Thanks for the suggestions, I will try that.

nusgirl1264561862162 PostsRegistered 2/10/2007Va
bearbear, this topic has been talked about before (last week), do a search and I'm sure you can the thread.

dgluvr12645624415281 PostsRegistered 5/12/2008
There are many pro- Wen enthusiasts who will swear by it but if you're losing your hair- even though the rest of it looks good- then check the threads about the Wen-non-enthusiasts. They lost hair too and if it just started when you started using it well that could be a hint that it's not for you!

Deanie1264562944903 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Don't fool around, go to a dermatologist. It may be the Wen, but, then again, it could be something else. Hair loss in clumps is indicative of other issues also.

Kitty Galo­re12645648251818 PostsRegistered 4/28/2009
I never had that problem with Wen, just didnt like it, my hair was dry and lifeless and it took my highlights right out. Switched to Pureology and all is fine now. Not every shampoo is good for everyone. I would use something else and if it persists for a couple more weeks make an appt with a DR to rule out anything else.

Josea92212646086054367 PostsRegistered 11/20/2006

I had a ton of hair loss with Wen. I'm not the only one. Dig up the old posts. There are plenty of them out there.

Last edited on 6/9/2010

Last edited on 6/9/2010

StyleIcon12646090073435 PostsRegistered 4/7/2006
You bring up a good point and I know there were other threads about people losing more hair using WEN. I noticed my hair was falling out more when I used it years ago but I used up a 16 oz bottle and never used it again. My hair was flat and greasy from it. I mostly use Ojon now but since their formula changed I am going to use up what I have and move on to another brand, maybe aveda.

Subject126460982011269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007
I have long dry color treated hair. I have to say that WEN has done nothing but help condition my hair and make my color last longer. I can not see where using it would cause hair loss. Shampoos cause hair loss!

Wheatchick112646107613210 PostsRegistered 12/17/2008The Merry Old Land of Oz
I have color treated hair and used nothing but Wen between hairdresser appointments. My hairdresser was amazed at how my color held up and the overall feel of my hair. He was so impressed that he even asked me to bring the Wen to my next appointment so he could try it on me. I'm going to give him one of the cd's and the booklet that came with the last TSV.
--
The original Wheatchick since 2004 - a few thousand posts missing - and darned proud to be a GAL member!

LIFE - it's what happens while you are busy making plans. Man makes plans - God laughs.

itsMe12646108933753 PostsRegistered 5/1/2008Sunny South Florida
Shortly after I first started using Wen last summer, I had a TON of hair loss. I ran out to replensish my supply of rogaine, and started using that again. I stuck with Wen, and in a short time, my hair stopped falling out, so I also cut way back on the Rogaine (maybe once a week now, if I remember).
What I found is that while I had a lot of hair loss at first, now I have almost no loss at all..... That is, almost nothing in the shower, and much less to clean up from my bathroom floor each day than before Wen. And recently, when my fine, thin hair got long enough to put in a ponytail, I realized that it filled the band much better than ever before. In the past, the band would fall off if I wraped it three times. Now, there is enough hair to make it stay put .... it's not even a little bit loose! (still wrap it three times, though.)
While we are all different, I think the Wen just helped me shed what needed to be shed. My best advice would be to watch this carefully. It might be that you can't use this product, or, like me, it might be that you just have to get rid of the old to make way for the new and better.

bearbear1264612150634 PostsRegistered 8/24/2007Texas
There doesn't seem to be any ingredients listed that would cause hair loss. It makes my hair look really good, but my Aveda products have never caused my hair to fall out. I don't know, maybe my hair is just going through a shedding period like someone else mentioned. I will give it another week or so.
--
Edited by bearbear at 01/27/2010 8:11 AM PST

Last edited on 1/27/2010

Pearlbaby12646127936340 PostsRegistered 12/2/2009
I would stop using and switch to something else for a while then go back. Hair get dry in winter easy anyways but if it stops then starts up again you'll know the problem. I see you kinda did this if it starts coming out again its the WEN. I have used and not too thrilled with anyways.
--
Edited by LUV TO SHOP at 01/27/2010 8:20 AM PST

Last edited on 1/27/2010

mendaheart1264699388159 PostsRegistered 11/20/2008
Oh my goodness.......I thought it was just me! I was losing hair in handfulls when smoothing cleansing conditioner through hair! I have had this problem when I use Wen, too! I didn't realize that it was probably the Wen until I started alternating with Pureology.....now I only use Pureology and alternative every four shampoos with Arbonne shampoo. So weird.........

Filly6712646995711881 PostsRegistered 12/26/2008
Used WEN, lost tons of hair. Stopped using WEN, hair loss stopped. Seemed clear to me what was happening. Seems like it just has this effect on some people.
I use straight conditioner only now, I happen to like Organix, and have been doing so since last summer.
My hair has improved 100%. Can't believe it took me so long to try this. I will never use shampoo again in my everyday life.
--
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

DrZapps1276113589.0771 PostsRegistered 6/9/2010

Major hair loss! My wife has been using Wen for about the past year and a half. She noticed a bit of hair loss near her crown, and passed it off to the result of a sleep study she had taken where they glued some sensors to her crown. Last month her hairdresser pointed out to her that she has two huge bald spots on the back of her head...approximately two inch squares...for a woman that is pretty major! My wife has beenn to the doctor, had several tests, and there is nothing wrong with her. She discussed the Wen with the doctor, and the fact that the fig Wen was making her scalp tingle when she used it. The doctor suggested immediate stop of the Wen! I'll post in a month or so, and let you know if the hair is growing back. Bottom line...if you think this is making your hair fall out...it probably is!

Josea9221276114510.5034367 PostsRegistered 11/20/2006
On 1/27/2010 bearbear said:There doesn't seem to be any ingredients listed that would cause hair loss. It makes my hair look really good, but my Aveda products have never caused my hair to fall out. I don't know, maybe my hair is just going through a shedding period like someone else mentioned. I will give it another week or so.
--
Edited by bearbear at 01/27/2010 8:11 AM PST

Actually that's not true. Wen has Methylchloroisothiazolinone in it. It's known to cause sensitivity and is only supposed to be used in rinse off products. Wen instructions say to leave a pump or two in as a leave in conditioner. And that's just one, I haven't actually researched them all.

Njenga1288466487.041 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010

Yes!!!! I have noticed that my hair has been falling out since I hace been using Wen. I am switching back to my Redkin for now. Anything one have any other ideas???? God! I am glad I am not the only one!

Subject1288466636.7211269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007

I have been using Wen for about 5 years growing out my waist length hair. NO hair loss- my hair is healthy - in fact I hardly lose any hair at all except what is expected.

Tray-c1288468060.38965 PostsRegistered 2/20/2009

I also had a lot of hair fall with my use of Wen. There is a difference between hair breakage and shedding hair, the difference as one poster mentioned, is the little white bulb at the end of the hair strand (which indicates the strand was shed).

In my case, I believe WEN to be the culprit simply because I am someone who detangles her hair prior to washing and while conditioner is my hair, yet I have never experienced the amount of hair fall as I did when using WEN.

The what some may say is excessive manipulation of the strands may also be an issue for some.

Julie231288468362.6331369 PostsRegistered 11/3/2007

Yes!!

Dawnie1288468746.797760 PostsRegistered 8/22/2007SW Florida

I have been using Wen for 2 yrs. I noticed clumps of hair in the shower. I quit using it about a month ago..no more hair in the shower and my hair seems to be growing in around the crown. No more Wen for me!

springers1288469730.96818 PostsRegistered 8/27/2008so cal

I have been using Wen for over a year and I have experienced hair loss, but I have always had some hair loss. I have hair in my car carpet (gross), from combing or playing with my hair in the car (now I wear my hair up-so I dont play with it). I have had hair in the brush (I dont use a brush anymore-only a wide tooth comb). Since my hair isnt falling out in these prior places, it is falling out in the shower. I bought a screen so I could keep track of it. When I used regular shampoo/conditioner and worked through in the shower, hair would be in my hands. I also use to wash every other day, and now I wash two times a week, so I would expect to see more loss.

My head and my hands used to tingle with Lavender but not anymore; sort of like with retin A, your skin adjusts.

Last edited on 10/30/2010

Last edited on 10/30/2010

Whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, or praiseworthy-think on these things.

Pecky1288472437.1931461 PostsRegistered 4/15/2007

I ordered the last tsv in fig and that happend to me. It didn't come out in clumps but I noticed when I was combing it through like they said alot of hair was coming out. I immediately stopped using it and sent it back. I don't know if it was Wen or like someone else said you are not suppose to comb your hair when it is soaked. I now use Aquage and my hair looks great and its not coming out anymore. I also noticed with Wen my hair felt so dirty and greasy the day after. I guess it doesn't work for everyone.

Page 1 of 2