Guaranteed Delivery
107 Members and 18219 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

philosophy...who bought the Company?

Started 1273557092.01 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1276337450.42 by wackers

I have been reading complaints on many of these boards about the quality of philosophy products "changing for the worse since the company was purchased".  Who bought it?  Chistina Karlina sold it? I thought it was her favorite "baby".  This is her 2nd Company. Maybe she has made all the money she needs.  I know I hated it when QVC bought TOVA.  I miss my TOVA products, especially TOVA Signature Eau de Parfum.  It was the only thing I could wear that I am not allergic too!  Now there are only a few of her products on line and I think those are ones that are left that they are trying to sell out.  I haven't been able to get the TOVA Signature Body Lotion in forever and that is good stuff! I miss it...but back to philosophy...who bought it and when?

Page 1 of 2
AlexK1273557673.3432541 PostsRegistered 3/1/2010

In 2007, the Carlyle Group bought a controlling share in Philosophy.  The Carlyle Group is a private equity firm that invests in the defense industry, owns Dunkin Donuts and a number of other companies.  They became known after 9/11 because the Bin Laden family was heavily invested with them.  They continue to have close relations to the Saudi royal family.  The Bu sh family and James Baker, former Secretary of State under George H. W. Bush, are connected to the group in various ways.  Here is a link to the Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlyle_Group

dgluvr1273558382.465281 PostsRegistered 5/12/2008

And we wonder why so many products are being recalled--when I called about a baby product from a major company- I was told I had to contact another company because the original I called didn't actually manufacture it- they had allowed the other to buy their name to put on the product! Plus a local toy company (well known - FisherPrice) sold to Mattel who outsourced and now most of their products are often being recalled for such problems as too much lead in the paint! ( Ummmm- made in China now!)

whezy1273558417.86656 PostsRegistered 10/27/2008

Thanks for the information, Alex.  Now I wonder why they would want a cosmetic company considering their other investments.  Cosmetics / skin care could be a risky investment in a bad economy. 

dgluvr1273559439.615281 PostsRegistered 5/12/2008
On 5/11/2010 whezy said:

Thanks for the information, Alex.  Now I wonder why they would want a cosmetic company considering their other investments.  Cosmetics / skin care could be a risky investment in a bad economy. 

Oddly enough I would think just the opposite- when you're down- looking good makes you feel better. And when I was young- I didn't need or buy a lot of cosmetics-now it takes a lot more time, effort, and product to look good!

Merle Byrd1273560355.624655 PostsRegistered 10/21/2009

Thanks for the link, AlexK.  Fascinating reading.  I put it on my Favorites bar.

Merle

Silver Lin­ing1273560611.2373663 PostsRegistered 4/15/2010

Oddly enough I would think just the opposite- when you're down- looking good makes you feel better. And when I was young- I didn't need or buy a lot of cosmetics-now it takes a lot more time, effort, and product to look good!

I agree with you plus I have read several articles from Consumer Reports and so forth that say market analysis shows cosmetic products continue to sell.

moondust1273561168.671402 PostsRegistered 1/12/2008ga
On 5/11/2010 Merle Byrd said:

Thanks for the link, AlexK.  Fascinating reading.  I put it on my Favorites bar.

Added it also to my Favorites bar also!!  Very interesting.

whezy, sorry about your philosphy dilemna and I know Exactly how you feel about the Tova situation; I feel that it is most likely Over for the Real Original fragrance, which will always be sad.

Nothing is so strong as gentleness and nothing is so gentle as true strength.
Ralph W. Sockman

Lovely21273571186.162953 PostsRegistered 6/2/2007Texas

That's very sad about Tova. I used to love watching her and now she's hardly on anymore and many of you say the product isn't as good as it use to  be. Sad.

That should not happen to a good product.

Philosophy, on the other hand, was never any good for me. I tried it when it came out and used it about a year and was done with it. I get this feeling they are ripping people off with all the fillers and things I've read on here that are in them. And it doesn't seem to agree with so many ladies.

I don't believe in the concept of h*ll, but if I did I would think of it as filled with people who were cruel to animals.

Gary Larson

Shopping G­aGa1273577854.31341 PostsRegistered 2/10/2010

Thank you AlexK. I did not know this. You are always up to date with information. Amazing article.

CSH1273580759.2772334 PostsRegistered 12/5/2009NW PA

In 2007, the Carlyle Group bought a controlling share in Philosophy.  The Carlyle Group is a private equity firm that invests in the defense industry, owns Dunkin Donuts and a number of other companies.  They became known after 9/11 because the Bin Laden family was heavily invested with them.  They continue to have close relations to the Saudi royal family.  The Bu sh family and James Baker, former Secretary of State under George H. W. Bush, are connected to the group in various ways.  Here is a link to the Wikipedia entry:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlyle_Group

Did you know that anyone can post on wikipedia so it is not a particularly reliable source for info? Just thought I'd toss that out...

I am an original user of Philosophy and have found the new Philosophy to be substandard. The smell is yukky and the cleaning properties have been changed. Too bad.

The info about Tova is interesting. I watched her yesterday for a bit and saw her say "Awh" when the caller mentioned Tova Signature.

Play is children's work!

snowleopard1273582001.4071089 PostsRegistered 4/12/2008
On 5/11/2010 CSH said:

In 2007

Did you know that anyone can post on wikipedia so it is not a particularly reliable source for info? Just thought I'd toss that out...

CSH, you are correct about Wiki, BUT you may be interested to know that at least one documentary that I know of, and myriad books, not to mention newspaper articles by legit media agencies have been written about the goings-on at the Carlyle Group.  It ain't pretty! Just google the name and you'll find all kinds of info, from reputable news sources. AlexK's post was right on the money. 

Kimi-Eliz1273582512.413890 PostsRegistered 9/10/2006
On 5/11/2010 dgluvr said:
On 5/11/2010 whezy said:

dgluvr,  you are correct.  It is called "The Lipstick Effect".  Cosmetic companies do much better during recessions.  Women turn to cosmetics rather than clothing to make themselves look and feel better.  The same is true for fashion jewelry.  I am a Unit Manager for Lia Sophia and the company experiences approx 40% growth during recessions (over the past 30 years).  However, fine jewelrs are closing their doors.

AlexK1273585249.6872541 PostsRegistered 3/1/2010
On 5/11/2010 CSH said:

In 2007, the Carlyle Group bought a controlling share in Philosophy.  The Carlyle Group is a private equity firm that invests in the defense industry, owns Dunkin Donuts and a number of other companies.  They became known after 9/11 because the Bin Laden family was heavily invested with them.  They continue to have close relations to the Saudi royal family.  The Bu sh family and James Baker, former Secretary of State under George H. W. Bush, are connected to the group in various ways.  Here is a link to the Wikipedia entry:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlyle_Group

I am an original user of Philosophy and have found the new Philosophy to be substandard. The smell is yukky and the cleaning properties have been changed. Too bad.

The info about Tova is interesting. I watched her yesterday for a bit and saw her say "Awh" when the caller mentioned Tova Signature.

Wikipedia is mixed.  I think it can be quite good for some things.  You certainly can do additional research on the Carlyle group yourself.  They have their own website that tells you some of their office holder and investments.  The only controversial aspect of the Wikpedia post is the Bin Laden family investments (which by the way did not include Osama) but this is fairly well known.  The Bin Ladens have since divested from Carlyle. I had read about this elsewhere (House of Saud, House of Bu sh)  before seeing it on Wikipedia.

I actually would guess cosmetic companies are quite profitable.  The products cost relatively little to produce and sell at high profit margins.  I expect it was a rational business investment for Carlyle.  

Last edited on 5/11/2010

Last edited on 5/11/2010

Gal1273585938.4131794 PostsRegistered 9/18/2007

Whezy,

Check E-Bay for your body lotion - occasionally I've see it.  Also enter "Beauty By Tova" - sometimes on the "Q" as well as "E-Bay" there will be more items than just "Tova" or "Tova Signature".  If you're a Tova Girl and miss her original Signature as much as I do, you may want to try the Signature Platinum - not the original, but to me, the fragrance is close. I'm also trying the "Classic" - it smells good but it doesn't last - some have given it good reviews, others haven't.

lilactwist1273586657.07399 PostsRegistered 2/7/2009
On 5/11/2010 AlexK said:

In 2007, the Carlyle Group bought a controlling share in Philosophy.  The Carlyle Group is a private equity firm that invests in the defense industry, owns Dunkin Donuts and a number of other companies.  They became known after 9/11 because the Bin Laden family was heavily invested with them.  They continue to have close relations to the Saudi royal family.  The Bu sh family and James Baker, former Secretary of State under George H. W. Bush, are connected to the group in various ways.  Here is a link to the Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlyle_Group

After reading this I don't know if I want to continue with my A/S's that I have with Philosophy....and I did notice that one of my Philosophy body lotions started to turn watery....mmmmm{#emotions_dlg.glare}

LoriLori1273596554.6635581 PostsRegistered 4/4/2008
On 5/11/2010 whezy said:

Carlyle owns tons of diverse companies and what they all have in common is their extreme profitability.  Cristina Carlino built an incredible company with loyal customers (I was one) who could count on the quality of the products.  Carlyle, upon buying it, hired a male CEO who came from Neutrogena Global and tasked him with increasing the profits even more, and expanding into new overseas markets.  And now that it's been over two years since Carlyle has owned philosophy, IMO we're really now seeing the full effects of Carlyle's relentless focus on $$$$.  :(

harpersmom1273599645.9936 PostsRegistered 1/11/2008

This is what I love about Mary Kay products: the same family-owned company has been making the products for over 40 yrs. The quality hasn't changed or been compromised with new owners. I think this is one of the reasons MK has been consistently one of the top beauty brands for so long.

spa heaven1273601191.37376 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005

All Carlyle is is a holding company.  That should tell you a lot.  All they care about is PROFIT, once the share price drops over time, they drop the company.  It's not about quality, etc.  That's why they sell watered down philosophy shower gels at Target now, etc. 

AlexK1273601427.092541 PostsRegistered 3/1/2010

Funny, although I knew about Carlyle, I somehow never put it all together until this thread.  I've loved Philosophy for a long time, but I think my love affair is fading.  I'm still loyal to Hope in a Tube and am trying out the Miracle Worker TSV.  I'm letting the rest go though.  

Oh, Amazing Grace.  I still use that.  There are very few scents I like, but I love AG.

Last edited on 5/11/2010

Last edited on 5/11/2010

Redhead991273601723.027359 PostsRegistered 8/10/2009Delray Beach, Florida
On 5/11/2010 AlexK said:

I knew there was a reason I stopped using Philosophy.  I didn't know this information before, but thank you for bringing it to our attention.  This goes to show you we have to be very diligent in researching what we buy, and where the money goes.  You would think QVC would be more interested in this , instead of making money off of hard working consumers.

robomo1273602285.319451 PostsRegistered 3/15/2005

Philosophy just never appealed to me - a bunch of stuff that smells like food for your shower.  I don't want to smell like food when I'm bathing.  Just me.  But this is a new better reason that I'm glad I never got into buying it.

I use Avon bubble bath - it can be bought on sale for like $4.00 or something for a 24 ounce bottle and it's recommended by dermatologists.  Can't do much better than that.

colson1273602419.387438 PostsRegistered 10/23/2007East Coast
On 5/11/2010 snowleopard said:
On 5/11/2010 CSH said:

In 2007

CSH, you are correct about Wiki, BUT you may be interested to know that at least one documentary that I know of, and myriad books, not to mention newspaper articles by legit media agencies have been written about the goings-on at the Carlyle Group.  It ain't pretty! Just google the name and you'll find all kinds of info, from reputable news sources. AlexK's post was right on the money. 

I work in the industry, and this particular information on Carlyle is accurate.  

LoriLori1273605302.085581 PostsRegistered 4/4/2008

I think they do still put out some great products.  But when Cristina owned it you could count on the quality of everything, and now that's just not the case.

MotleyCrue­4EVA1273605407.5773096 PostsRegistered 7/17/2009South of Baltimore

Last I heard it was the Carlyle Group

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option"

Redhead991273680869.823359 PostsRegistered 8/10/2009Delray Beach, Florida

Alex, I looked at the article and the companies Carlyle owns.  This may seem stupid but under what company is Philosophy?

Page 1 of 2