Boot Boutique
44 Members and 10655 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

is there anything comparable to Wen....??

Started 1264285143 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1270153356.343 by Ranchergal
I just can't afford the cost of wen (the instructions tell me to use 40 pumps for my shoulder length hair)...its just getting too expensive.
But I like the idea of no sulphates to strip my hair (as its already dry). I've tried the Loreal no sulphate shampoo and its horrible.
Can anyone suggest a good alternative for wen that actually leaves your hair soft and manageable (I have color treated
hair, tends to be dry)

Page 1 of 1
babs12642854141005 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004ny
Suave Naturals Conditioner ~ any flavor! Inexpensive & works like a charm! I alternate that with HairOne from Sally's & Wen.
--
~*babs*~
:-)

babs :-)

Shelbelle126428546734421 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Many posters suggest Hair One, a dupe for Wen sold at Sally's Beauty Supply, and a lot less money.

shermie12642856101136 PostsRegistered 10/5/2005A Tiny Blue Dot in a Big Red State
You can condition wash with just good old VO5 (my personal fave), White Rain or Suave conditioner. Inexpensive (about a buck a bottle) yet effective. These conditioners contain enough cleansing ingredients to clean your hair and still leave it moisturised and soft and are easy on colour, like Wen. You can use them like Wen, wet your hair, put the conditioner in your hair, smush it around, comb and clip it up while you do the rest of your showerly duties, then rinse.
Follow up with a little richer, more moisturising conditioner, if you hair likes and needs it. (Mine does...) You can even use a little as a leave in in your drippy wet ends.
Another way to use it is to saturate your dry hair in the conditioner, cover with a shower cap and wear it for an hour or so, then get in the shower, wet, smush, rinse and finish.
CO washing is a great way to care for your hair, if it likes it. And, you don't have to buy a hugely expensive "cleansing conditioner" to do it, either. :-D
*Donning my flame proof suit and ducking behind my sofa, now.* :^O
--
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read. ~~ Groucho Marx
Light Summer/Spring, ~Neutral~ Fair but not Porcelain, Blonde, Grey Eyes. BE Girl Since 2001. Currently Loving Meow Mineral Foundation, Tho. :-D

Trying to think of something to put here. :)

justicemom12642881222647 PostsRegistered 10/2/2007Sunny Puerto Rico
Kiehls Sunflower Color Preserving Shanpoo and Conditioner.
http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/hair/shampoos/sunflower-oil-color-preserving-shampoo.htm
--
~Just when the Caterpillar thought Her world was over....She became a BUTTERFLY~

~Just when the Caterpillar thought Her world was over....She became a BUTTERFLY~

kal12642899932440 PostsRegistered 8/4/2007
I think 40 pumps is too much for shoulder length hair.
If I were you I'd go for feel -- just make sure your hair feels saturated with Wen and somewhat creamy. My guess is you can probably use 16-20 pumps and it will be fine.

miss_Moria12642911355537 PostsRegistered 4/15/2009Somewhere between Shangri La and Heaven
I haven't found anything that works as well and I have tried the alternatives including Hair One, which is good but not nearly as good as Wen for my hair.
I only use 6 pumps from the 32 oz bottle for my chin length hair so 40 is way too many. Experiment with it and I would say use only about 10+ to start.
--
The spiritual journey we were on wasn't about finding answers. It was about understanding the questions. Once you think you have the answers, you stop growing. Yet if you keep exploring, seeking, and opening your mind, you'll find that the learning never stops. Patrick Swayze

All we are is the result of what we have thought. Buddha

Weidie Lady1264354653193 PostsRegistered 6/27/2006
They tell you to use WAY to much.
I have Long hair. And I think I use maybe 20 pumps from the 32oz.
Make sure your Hair is really Wet.
Then make sure to Work Wen through.
Sometimes if I have used a lot of hairspray I will shampoo with a reg shampoo then Finish it off with Wen.

nightwired1264355476228 PostsRegistered 2/9/2008Michigan
I agree they tell you to use way too much.
I have really straight hair, and there is nothing like the lavender Wen. I do use the Hair One because my budget has tightened, and it is okay, but it does not work as well as Wen. I also use less of this than what they recommend
Some of the problem might be that Hair One does not have a lavender formula. I think the lightest is the jojoba, which I use most of the time. But my hair does not have the volume as with Wen lavender.
(sigh) maybe the economy will straighten out and I can afford Wen again.

Tori in KC12643697041405 PostsRegistered 10/22/2009
I love WEN and I too was using too much because I went by what it was saying; well, at that rate, I couldn't afford to keep using it, but I love it! So I've switched from doing my hair every day to every other day, and I just use enough pumps to saturate and not nearly what they suggest. HTH
--
DeeDee

drizzellla12643887331507 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007
Summer - you are more than welcome to my bottle of Wen. I used it twice and each time my hair looked stringy and greasy by the end of the day. My hair looked like such a mess. I was so embarrased my hair looked like it hadn't been cleaned in over a week.
I do not have the nerve to appear in public after using Wen again. After that ringing endorsement - you are welcome to an almost full bottle.

The bad news is Time Flies
The good news is You are the pilot.

cosdepende­nt1264389095752 PostsRegistered 1/31/2007Greater Cincinnati
I have cleansed my hair the Wen method with any conditioner available at the drugstore. Still takes alot, but I get the same result. I use WEN on a regular basis, but it is too heavy to travel with, so I just go to the CVS on every corner and buy whatever is on sale.

Filly6712643893511881 PostsRegistered 12/26/2008
I have tried both WEN and Hair One. They were fine but made my hair fall out.
Tried Organix Coconut Conditioner last summer and have never looked back. It is sulfate free and works like a dream on my thin, extremely curly hair. I fought my culs for years and did everything to make them straight because my curls were always frizzy and out of control. Now I wear my hair curly everyday. I use a little more then in the past when I shampoo'd and conditoned but not much. I buy it at CVS but can also get it in a larger bottle at BJ's.
--
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
--
Edited by Filly67 at 01/24/2010 6:16 PM PST

Last edited on 1/24/2010

What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

CoffeeBean1264389497381 PostsRegistered 8/15/2007
> You can condition wash with just good old VO5 (my
> personal fave), White Rain or Suave conditioner.
> Inexpensive (about a buck a bottle) yet effective.
> These conditioners contain enough cleansing
> ingredients to clean your hair and still leave it
> moisturised and soft and are easy on colour, like
> Wen. You can use them like Wen, wet your hair, put
> the conditioner in your hair, smush it around, comb
> and clip it up while you do the rest of your showerly
> duties, then rinse.
>
> Follow up with a little richer, more moisturising
> conditioner, if you hair likes and needs it. (Mine
> does...) You can even use a little as a leave in in
> your drippy wet ends.
>
> Another way to use it is to saturate your dry hair in
> the conditioner, cover with a shower cap and wear it
> for an hour or so, then get in the shower, wet,
> smush, rinse and finish.
>
> CO washing is a great way to care for your hair, if
> it likes it. And, you don't have to buy a hugely
> expensive "cleansing conditioner" to do it, either.
> :-D
>
> *Donning my flame proof suit and ducking behind my
> sofa, now.* :^O
>
> --
> Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
> Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read. ~~ Groucho
> Marx
>
> Light Summer/Spring, ~Neutral~ Fair but not
> Porcelain, Blonde, Grey Eyes. BE Girl Since 2001.
> Currently Loving Meow Mineral Foundation, Tho. :-D
I second this recommendation. I've used many of the $1 bottles and they work wonderfully, and smell much better imho. I do think that Wen is slightly better but not enough to cover the price difference. That's my experience, everyone's hair is different and others may not agree. But.....for a $1, what have you got to lose?
--
32 yo, brown hair, brown eyes, warm

32 yo, brown hair, brown eyes, warm

robnat1270128288.716 PostsRegistered 12/24/2006

Maybe this is why I'm having such a hard time finding the Suave Professionals Almond and shea conditioner.  There's plenty of shampoo on the shelves, but went to 3 stores to finally find 1 conditioner left.  I must say I really loved the way my hair felt and looked after using both the shampoo and conditioner, but I may try the conditioner only method.  I always wanted to like Wen, but didn't have much luck with it and thought it was too expensive.

Hope5161270129535.1772195 PostsRegistered 6/29/2009Virginia

Need to ask what may be clear to everyone else but it's new to me...when you ladies talk about using suave or some other inexpensive conditioner in the "Wen method", do you mean to just use the conditioner and just skip the shampoo?  There may be enough cleansing action in the conditioner only...I just never thought of it. 

Thanks in advance.

bruingirl1270146690.2736851 PostsRegistered 8/3/2006Los Angeles, CA

Summer123

If you have shoulder length hair you should be able to use 30 pumps to cleanse your hair. I've been using wen since Aug 2006 and I won't use anything else in my hair.  IMHO there isn't anything comparable to wen.  Plenty of wen ladies have tried the Hair One dupe from Sally's and most of them conclude wen is much better.  The ingredients may be the same in both (I say "may" b/c I've never compared them myself) but the formula isn't the same.  And those who recommend using Suave or Vo5 to "condition only" usually mention using a clarify shampoo once a week or so b/c those conditioners build up and wen doesn't build up....I've never had to "clarify" since using wen.

bruingirl

Live.....Laugh.....Love

Kimberly3271270147990.141677 PostsRegistered 12/12/2008

Please don't shoot me, I have a serious question. I've never used Wen, so I'm asking from what I've gathered from infomercials, QVC, etc. Does it take a long time to rinse out? I'd be interested in how many gallons of water a Wen user needs versus a "traditional" shower taker. There seems to be so many steps, it seems like shower time (and water usage) would be much greater.

bruingirl1270149548.5676851 PostsRegistered 8/3/2006Los Angeles, CA

Kimberly327

I won't shoot you {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}....you bring up a valid concern.  Yes, it does take some time to rinse wen, b/c of its consistency.  I would say I spend 1-2 minutes rinsing. However, I only cleanse 2 times per week, the other days I either just rinse my hair or put on a shower cap.  So I don't feel I'm wasting gallons of water with a twice a week cleanse versus a daily shampoo/rinse/condition/rinse cycle.

bruingirl

Live.....Laugh.....Love

Bella HS1270152610.768076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY
On 4/1/2010 Hope516 said:

Need to ask what may be clear to everyone else but it's new to me...when you ladies talk about using suave or some other inexpensive conditioner in the "Wen method", do you mean to just use the conditioner and just skip the shampoo?  There may be enough cleansing action in the conditioner only...I just never thought of it. 

Thanks in advance.

I woud like an answer on this too.  All the products I see in the stores are shampoo and conditioner in the line.

Is there something out there that dupes WEN?....only made as a conditioner for the cleansing and conditioning method?

Ranchergal1270153356.344264 PostsRegistered 6/13/2007

Hair oils are becoming the rage for beautiful soft shinny hair.  Shampoo and condition with a good drugstore shampoo and lightly apply  hair oil to your hair.  Rosemary and Moroccan oils are very popular.

Page 1 of 1