Better Than Black Friday
126 Members and 15404 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

I love BE, but my face is changing :( HELP!

Started 1264272487 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1264473446 by PirateEye
I've been using BE foundation for a few years now and have always loved it. But I think my skin is aging (45) and BE just doesn't look good anymore :( I tried a liquid foundation the other night...yuck! Then last night I splurged and bought Smashbox Halo. I looked like a ghost! I love BE and don't want to switch, but my skin is getting too dry. I can't really use a moisturizer because I break out easily. What do I do? Any tips...please!

Page 1 of 2
justicemom12642728682647 PostsRegistered 10/2/2007Sunny Puerto Rico
Are u using a primer or does it break you out too? I think a primer would help. specially with liquid foundation. HTH
--
~Just when the Caterpillar thought Her world was over....She became a BUTTERFLY~

~Just when the Caterpillar thought Her world was over....She became a BUTTERFLY~

srick tx12642732852060 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
I'm 47 and have been using BE foundation for 12 years. This past year to combat the dryness I started spritzing my face twice (once on each side) with Kinerase anti-oxidant spray and applying the foundation on my dampened skin. It goes on flawlessly this way.

jayn1264273362365 PostsRegistered 8/22/2009
I went through the same thing, and no matter how much I buffed BE into my skin, I still thought my face looked awful. My skin is on the dry side so I began treating it by exfoliating and using deep moisturizing treatments so it looked clear and fresh. Then I switched to (after using my normal moisturizers) lightly applying a tinted moisturizer (100% pure is my choice) in place of a foundation, then apply a very light dusting of Halo, which I buff into my skin. This is a much better result. My face doesn't look dried out at all, in fact, it actually glows. You may have to play around with some foundations/TM's and spend money on a few products until you get it right, but it's worth it. I also invested in a Clarisonic, which has made my skin even better. Good luck.

Sassenach112642734394541 PostsRegistered 12/3/2005
This has been discussed many times here. There is a time for many of us when BE does not look right any more. There is a better life after BE! There are many other and better things out there. Don't feel tied to it.

TasMss1264276978385 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006
> I've been using BE foundation for a few years now and
> have always loved it. But I think my skin is aging
> (45) and BE just doesn't look good anymore :( I tried
> a liquid foundation the other night...yuck! Then last
> night I splurged and bought Smashbox Halo. I looked
> like a ghost! [u]I love BE and don't want to switch[/u]
> but my skin is getting too dry. I can't really use a
> moisturizer because I break out easily. What do I do?
> Any tips...please!
Hi,RinaQ!
Then please don't switch if you don't want to! I love BE too. I'm 40 and sometimes experience what you are talking about, but when I exfoliate (microdermabrasion--Susan Lucci's Youthful Essence tool & scrub), my face looks great with BE again!
You might even try a scrub from the store--like the St. Ives one and just apply with your fingertips.
I think everyone goes through this, no matter what type of foundation they are using.
Good luck.
--
Smile, it makes everyone wonder what you're up to!

Smile, it makes everyone wonder what you're up to!

I Teach Too126427743511790 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Eastern Iowa...If you build it, they will come.
I am 56 and have problems from time to time with my BE. I have found I need to make sure I am exfoliating regularly. Also, in December and January when the air is so cold and dry where I live, I have to make sure I am adding enough moisture and hydration. I use hydroshield all over my face over my Perricone treatment products and under my moisturizer. It helped with the dry look immensely.
--
Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about puppies.
--
Edited by I Teach Too at 01/23/2010 11:10 AM PST

Last edited on 1/23/2010

I know too much to go back an' pretend.

DoubleDog21264278247434 PostsRegistered 6/12/2009Mid-Missouri
BE made me look dry too, maybe because it seemed to take more of it to cover well. Also the shiny bismuth bothered me.
You might try a different mineral makeup. Lumiere has one specifically for normal to dry skin that contains squalane.
http://www.lumierecosmetics.com/
Also, both Cory and Everyday Minerals seemed to look much better on my older, dry face than BE ever did.
--
Lynn
Support Rescue

Lynn

lovestotea­ch126427853215267 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009DFW Metroplex, Tx
I had to switch, and had a lot of $ invested in BE. Now I use Clinique liquid (which looks horrible by itself), faerieorganic mineral foundation, etc on top of it (the particles are larger and don't cause enlarged pores. Was turned onto silk naturals oatmeal serum (believe me, my skin looks wonderful with it and I can hardly tolerate ANYTHING on my skin -- rosacea, redness, breakouts, rash). The oatmeal must act as a hydrator -- I am so pleased at this point. Went through the same thing you are describing. : ( HTH! Let us know!
www.faerieorganic.com is the website
--
~LTT~

Lovestoteach~ ~ ♥ ♥♥

trl1701264279274116 PostsRegistered 3/28/2005
When I worked in the industry, I had a makeup artist tell me to "not expect your color cosmetics to be your skin care products." Words well spoken. So, with that being said, I say "moisturize, moisturize, moisturize." Keep trying until you find one that works for you. I have been using BE for many, many, many years -- and I'm an old bird! Still love the look I get -- I just go with a little less and buff more.
--
www tanyalochridge com

www tanyalochridge com

shermie12642841671136 PostsRegistered 10/5/2005A Tiny Blue Dot in a Big Red State
I agree with earlier posters. As my skin ages a bit (I am 45, too. :)) I have to be sure to keep my skin well exfoliated and moisturised. Chemical exfoliants like retinol, AHA are not enough; I still have to scrub well and often.
No matter what makeup you end up using, mineral or not, the best skin you can have will always make your makeup look better. :-D
--
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read. ~~ Groucho Marx
Light Summer/Spring, ~Neutral~ Fair but not Porcelain, Blonde, Grey Eyes. BE Girl Since 2001. Currently Loving Meow Mineral Foundation, Tho. :-D

Trying to think of something to put here. :)

miss_Moria12642849245537 PostsRegistered 4/15/2009Somewhere between Shangri La and Heaven
I'm in agreement with Jayn. I think exfoliating your skin once a week and using a mild hydrating cream at night will help your skin do better with any foundation. A thin application of a primer also helps.
I splurged and bought a product from Avon that I swear has made my skin more radiant and smooth and I am 63 with good skin anyway but this stuff really has helped.
--
The spiritual journey we were on wasn't about finding answers. It was about understanding the questions. Once you think you have the answers, you stop growing. Yet if you keep exploring, seeking, and opening your mind, you'll find that the learning never stops. Patrick Swayze

All we are is the result of what we have thought. Buddha

samfordmom1264286175186 PostsRegistered 8/22/2009Tn
My skin is also changing. I am 44. I use phil skin care. I use their microdelivery wash every morning. I also use a primer.
I changed to BE matte foundation, using just a little and then
I finish with the SB halo. You might want t make sure that
you have the right color. Maybe the color is too light.
Hope this helps.

monet12642865655182 PostsRegistered 6/8/2007
RinaQ
I also have very dry skin and use BE.
First, I think that you need to find a moisturizer that works for you. Next, use a primer. BE has a good one.
If, you look like a ghost, you need to change foundation color. With BE, use very little and apply more than 1 time if necessary. Some of the gals mix primer and other items with BE foundation to get more coverage.
As a person with dry and sensitive skin, I try to keep my brushes clean (with baby shampoo).
Maybe your skin is just going through changes right now:-x
--
Spring/Summer Neutral - blonde, blue eyes, fair/fairly light foundation -

npb126428658237 PostsRegistered 10/13/2008
I am over 50 and tried usung BE last year. My skin felt and looked like I had a mask on. I had no idea the BE makeup was so heavy. I immediately went back to the Lancome compact mixture of makeup and powder. I use the sponge and it goes on beautiful, looks natural and the coverage is wonderful. Try it-you'll love it.

churchmouse1264286585161 PostsRegistered 10/13/2006
It was Leslies job to make us feel like this was the one and only make up choice and she did a great job at it. And while I think it has it's place in the make-up world, there are other just as good choices. Even if it's a liquid. There have been some amazing advances in science that have made some liquid make-up's just as good.
I don't think it works as good for me any more either, yet my daughters still have that glow with it. I think some of us may not get the same results as we age. I for one am going to mall this week to find a liquid that is full of healthy benefits and get the coverage I use to once get.
It's okay to not have BE as your one and only.

2hoops126429396991 PostsRegistered 1/17/2008
> I'm in agreement with Jayn. I think exfoliating your
> skin once a week and using a mild hydrating cream at
> night will help your skin do better with any
> foundation. A thin application of a primer also
> helps.
>
> I splurged and bought a product from Avon that I
> swear has made my skin more radiant and smooth and I
> am 63 with good skin anyway but this stuff really has
> helped.
>
> --
> The spiritual journey we were on wasn't about finding
> answers. It was about understanding the questions.
> Once you think you have the answers, you stop
> p growing. Yet if you keep exploring, seeking, and
> opening your mind, you'll find that the learning
> never stops. Patrick Swayze
Miss Moria, what was the product that you bought from Avon that you liked so much?
I am also in my 60's and find that BE just doesn't look as good anymore. I exfoliate everyday with Philosophy's Exfolicate. I have tried so many other exfoliaters and they are too strong and irritate my skin and Philosophy's is the only one that works for me. I know it probably doesn't do as good a job as others but this is the one I can use. I use a night moisturizer also.
I use moisturizers and a primer and even tried a couple of tinted moisturizers (which I liked) but the BE foundation still settled in the lines and pores.
I would love to try the Avon product that you bought, please tell ;) Thanks!

LaterGator126429437710272 PostsRegistered 1/9/2007
I love the BE moisturizer and neck cream but I can't wear BE anymore. I quit using it about 5 years ago. I'm in my 60's. Also, I found that if I didn't have really good light, I would put too much on. It was just getting too difficult to make it look good. I'm now using Laura Geller with much more success.
--
member of the comma club,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no more periods for me

NurseRecru­iter126429460913869 PostsRegistered 6/9/2005Suburban Chicago
Not all liquid foundations are the same. Of course, finding the right one can be a challenge! Which one did you buy?
You might want to try a cream to powder foundation. Shiseido has one that is fabulous and will make for an "easier" transition from using a mineral makeup. Then, maybe, you can even move to liquid.
Shiseido Advanced Hydro Liquid (it comes in refills and you buy the case separate; however, I never have bought the case and find the packaging of the refills to work just fine)
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P244433&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5337
A very comparable, less expensive alternative is Avon Ideal Shade Cream to Powder foundation.
I love both and I also use BE.

Are we friends on Facebook yet? See my profile for FB contact info!

goldenretr­iever12642951655992 PostsRegistered 10/21/2006At the lake...in the water...chasing birds...
I used BE for several years, until I tried Laura Mercier's mineral foundation. And, geez, what a difference! It kind of goes on like a creamy mineral foundation, & doesn't look dry at all. The finish looks natural, radiant, & glowy (but not in a shiny tin man way!) :-)

Lakeside, with a KONG toy in my mouth.

RinaQ1264314560299 PostsRegistered 2/3/2007NY
Thank you all so much for your responses! I did buy the BE primer today, I'm going to see if that helps. The reason I don't want to stop using BE is because before I used it I had constant break-outs. After using BE I don't have that problem any more. Yes, I know I'm older and starting the "change" and it does affect your skin, but I don't want to go the hunt for new make-up. I guess I won't have much of a choice :( I will try exfoliating too. I would also love to know what that Avon product is :)

Sister Gol­den Hair126431938614610 PostsRegistered 7/18/2008
For me, I always run a cool mist humidifier in the house during the winter.
--
Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

Emy12643621614064 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Silver Spring, Maryland
I agree with Sister. A cool-mist humidifier in your bedroom will help with winter dryness.
As far as BE, I was able to use these powders - and loved them - until I entered my forties (these are great years as someone else posted).
As we age, our skin changes. So, we have to adjust, accordingly. (Think about the challenges of adolescent break-outs, excessive oiliness, etc.)
Personally, I think powder or mineral products can make people look older. Those dry grandules settle into even very fine lines. I understand not wanting a shiney look due to oiliness. (Blotting tissues are great for the T-zone. Used to use these and loved the way they removed the oil without ruining my make-up.)
Children have dewy skin. So, to me, glowing skin appears youthful and healthy. Matte skin looks unnatural and fake. I think that's why so many skin care lines are using "luminizing" ingredients in their dry powders. Just my opinion.
Again, just my opinion
Emy

RinaQ1264463163299 PostsRegistered 2/3/2007NY
So far I found a solution and I hope it keeps working because I love it! I did start using the BE primer, I like it. But I also found Laura Mercier mineral makeup....what a dream come true! I really hate to say this, I feel like I'm betraying Leslie, but the coverage is so much better than BE and it's not drying! Leslie if my skin wasn't changing, I would still be extremely faithful to BE, it's nothing against BE. Laura's also has an anti-aging agent in it, that was one major things that won me over. It lasted the entire day, never looked to dry and didn't make my pores or fine lines pop out. Love it! :-x

BESwede12644655166218 PostsRegistered 6/4/2007Colorado
Sounds like you need a change in skincare rather than in your
foundation !
When my makeup doesn't look as good I've found it is usually
a sign that I need to exfoliate more often or moisturize more.
You definitely need to moisturize and there are many good oil
free moisturizers out there that won't break you out. My fave is
Kate Somerville Oil Free Moisturizer which has no oils, dries in
a matte finish, has no fragrance and is packed with really good
anti-aging ingredients. You might get to Sephora and get some
samples of it and other Oil-free brands to see what you like.
Exfoliating is also crucial. I alternate using a Clarifying Toner
and a gentle BufPuf (every other day) to remove flaky skin on
my face and neck and use an enzyme type mask/scrub twice a week (Exfolikate) to remove dead skin and leave fresh and
smooth skin behind.
Once I pick up the exfoliationg and moisture in my skin my BE
again looks great. Bet changing up your skincare will also give
you back the look you love ! If you've not used the Prime Time
primer I'd suggest that too- makes my skin smooth as glass
so makeup goes on flawlessly and stays fresh all day long.
46, very fair, blonde, green eyes, cool "summer" coloring
combination, sensitive skin. Vegetarian

katz112644661923897 PostsRegistered 12/30/2009
I'm 47 and had to stop using BE some years ago. There are a lot of women who are around my age or older who still swear by it. I just didn't like how it looked. I used primer and it still sunk like a canyon into my lines and just looked terrible. The shimmer was awful as well. I know they have a new one that is suppose to be less shimmer. I just don't like it anymore. I also do not like Halo either. I did learn to like liquid foundations again. I use liquid (Bobbi Brown) and MAC studio fix powder foundation (works great, I wet the brush and stipple it on.) along with the following regularly. It just depends on how my face is acting.
My go to is BB tinted moisturizer balm and then LG B&B. I have never had B&B sink into lines. This is just a good combo for me. I also recently started using Model in a Bottle and it really helps stop mu from settling into lines etc......
I do spritz my face with MAC fix+ when I wear powder foundations.

Page 1 of 2