Labor Day Weekend Clearance
175 Members and 8751 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

What's a good product to protect hair when using flat iron?

Started 1264166177 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1264347385 by Miss Minnesota
Hi ladies!
I don't straighten my hair all the time - too time consuming and too damaging. What product do you use that is easy, protects your hair and seems to make the process go quicker? I appreciate your suggestions!
--
"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin.

Page 1 of 1
VelvetBlack12641717323204 PostsRegistered 10/19/2007Queens, NY
I'd like to know too !! I use the Instyler and I am getting some split ends, so I need to find something that will help protect hair from the heat.

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
Laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

boomerchick12641722751464 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006
I recentley discovered Brilliant by Aveda. I have used Camera Ready in the past but if you try it, use it sparingly. Too much will make your hair feel oily. HTH

deja vu12641876746167 PostsRegistered 7/9/2007East Coast
After I use my regular styling products and they vary, from Purology Spray Gel with SuperStraight Relaxant Serum, leave in products. Or sometimes Ojon revitalizing mist with Tunu HairTamer. Whatever your choice may be. I always use Biosilk Silk Therapy on my dry hair before I flat iron it. Or Chi Silk Infusion is good, just cost more and the BS really works for me..... And if I have Moroccan Miracle Oil I'll use it at some point also.
I have never been able to flat iron my thick wavy hair with just one product....Lots of times I leave a few drops of Wen oil in my hair before I put it in my hair wrap to.

~ life is short~pick your battles ~

dal12641886153565 PostsRegistered 11/15/2007Indiana
My favorites that I swear by are ojon revitalizing mist and alterna caviar rapid repair spray...both are awesome, smell good and make my thick, wavy hair come out great.

AngelPuppy112642493138654 PostsRegistered 5/26/2008
Thanks, ladies. Are any of these products that you can buy in salons or stores versus ordering?
--

caramels23126424950814855 PostsRegistered 10/21/2004
Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum works very well. It leaves hair shiny and smooths out any "fly away/split ends." You only need a tiny drop to work through your hair.

AngelPuppy112642577858654 PostsRegistered 5/26/2008
caramels23:
Is this a product that you use before flat ironing or after? Thanks a lot!
--

caramels23126426201314855 PostsRegistered 10/21/2004
AP1 -- I put a very small amount on and work it into my damp hair; blow dry; flat iron. Hope it works; my stylist uses it on my hair, and I finally went out and bought it. Enjoy!

Lorilyn1264262239228 PostsRegistered 11/3/2008
I just was introduced to Redkin Iron Silk spray. I love it! I have dry color treated hair and needed somethingt to protect it when I flat iron. You can't use to much of this, it doesn't make your hair greasy at all no matter how much you spray on.

deja vu12642631016167 PostsRegistered 7/9/2007East Coast
I think all of the products listed can be bought at an Ulta store, if you have one near you. If not most of them are at Salons......The Redken and Paul Mitchell products listed are good to use for flat ironing to.
I think if you get a good leave in conditioner for your hair it would help also,...but again for me I can only use it on the lower half of my thick hair.....I don't know your hair type. But you would not want to weigh it down to much.

~ life is short~pick your battles ~

ladyroxanne126426376210991 PostsRegistered 3/25/2008northern ca
I would suggest a product that has silicone in it. I haven't flat ironed my hair in ages so I can't name a product, but silicone will definitely protect your hair.

ella12642637891710 PostsRegistered 5/26/2006
If you want dirt cheap and fabulous, try VO5 Miracle Mist Heat Defense. It's in a spray bottle and works better than anything I've tried at any price. All hair is different so YMMV of course.
--
"You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients." -- Julia

"You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces, just good food from fresh ingredients." -- Julia

justicemom12642657122647 PostsRegistered 10/2/2007Sunny Puerto Rico
Sabino moisture block works great. Or Kiehl's Heat protective Silk Straightening Cream also works great. HTH
--
~Just when the Caterpillar thought Her world was over....She became a BUTTERFLY~

~Just when the Caterpillar thought Her world was over....She became a BUTTERFLY~

AngelPuppy112643419778654 PostsRegistered 5/26/2008
I so appreciate everyone taking the time to give your suggestions. I had to make a little trip to T.J. Maxx yesterday for something else so I thought I'd check their hair care items out. They didn't have much to pick from, but they did have little travel kits of Biosilk which contained shampoo, conditioner, the serum and something else (I forget!) for $10.00! I thought that might be a good way to at least try the Biosilk out cheaply. If I don't like it, I'm not out too much. I've written down your other suggestions, too, so I can try them if I'm not happy with Biosilk. Thanks so much!
--

Miss Minne­sota1264347385432 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007
This is great information, thanks! I will share my experience on a few of these items listed. The Biosilk used to work for me, however, it seems to have made my hair dry, so like the prior poster mentioned, all hair is different. The Revitalizing Mist used to be my 'go to' product, however, that does not seem to be working anymore either. So I am also on the lookout for a good one. I might check out the Rockaholic brand (TIGI). My hairdresser used it on my hair when she styled it, and I really liked how it looked.....

Page 1 of 1