Labor Day Weekend Clearance
159 Members and 12652 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Makeup for Women over 50

Started 1272839360.997 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1273265965.617 by matthew

I'm in my mid-50's and am always looking for products to improve the way I look.  I find that most Make Up boards are dominated by women in their 20's and 30's and unfortunately for me, they can't recommend products for crepey eyelids, sagging neck, and fine lines.  I'd love to get some feedback from more experienced ladies about their favorite products, and right now I'm trying to locate blendable eye shadows that aren't frosted, or pearlized, as those just exaggerate my problems. 

I think it would be great to get a converation going about the best products for the more mature woman!

Kiss

Page 1 of 2
Brabls1272839820.29314740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

I have two for for:

1. Clinique Teddy Bear.  Be careful if they are out.  There is another pallet that looks similar, but it is NOT matte.

2.  Cargo Essentials Palette-like Teddy Bear with a  nudge towards peach. (I have the medium pallete)

I find the white pencils/powders people but in the corner of the eye too much.  Cargo reverse lip liner covers that spot nicely without looking "OMG-what is in her eye?"  I just stoke it on & pat it in.

forrest1272839885.08797 PostsRegistered 11/23/2006Virginia

I would love to find something for the creepy lids as well.  One thing I do know, if you wear too much make up, particularly foundation, you look like a clown.  I've looked back at some photos taken last winter while on a cruise and boy of boy- Clara bell was there!

AlexK1272840435.3072541 PostsRegistered 3/1/2010

I just got some Anastacia eye shadow from Sephora that is for that specific purpose.  It is supposed to make your upper eyes look less wrinkled.  I'm not sure it does that, but it is very smooth and flattering shadow for older eyes.

NYC Susan1272840439.734461 PostsRegistered 1/28/2007New York City and East Hampton, NY

I'm over 50, but my skin is not dry, so I have a lot of trouble finding flattering makeup.  I was always oily, now less so but probably more "combination" than anything else.  Mineral makeup (that I used to love) now looks awful, and liquid is much too greasy.

Does anyone have a foundation they love?  I'm okay with blush, eyeshadow, etc, but a decent foundation is eluding me at this point.  I'm trying to get my skin into "I don't need a foundation" condition, but I'm not sure that's realistic!!  :-)

out of con­trol1272840528.283258 PostsRegistered 11/22/2007

I'm sooo glad this thread was started!! I am 57 years old, and for the past few months my make-up just seems to disappear into my skin. The smashbox creme blush that I use is there for 2 minutes and gone! My eyeliner travels under my eyes. This has never happened before. I need new recs for make-up. My skin isn't really oily. I would say that it is pretty normal. Help!!

58 yr. old with menopausal, but normal skin, not sensitive. Brown hair with highlights and green eyes.

SuzyBailey1272840636.375348 PostsRegistered 6/17/2007NEW YORK, NEW YORK

I definitely have "toned down" my makeup. I use Dior Air Spray Foundation which is moisturizing and goes on so nicely with a swipe of LG Apricot blush and I'm using more of a lighter eyeshadow and liner. I find that softer lips are nicer on me but I love, love, love my dark lipsticks.

Droopy eyelids - had eyelid surgery 5 years ago on upper and lower lids and it's the best thing I ever did. It's worth the money.

I always go back to Isomers skincare and it makes my face so much firmer and less ruddy which I find came with age. I'm soon to be 54.

Whatever serum I use on my face goes on my neck and it has been working just fine. I do like Philosophy HIAT covered with 100% Pure Caffeine Eye Cream because I still have a few wrinkles in the morning.

I also found that spending money on botox and fillers is also the best thing for me as well as Poetry In Lotion by DermaDoctor for the night. Retin-A just really dries out my skin even when I use grapeseed oil to cover it. I swear by grapeseed oil or argan oil!!!!!

"This Ain't Tennessee, and He Ain't You". Janie Fricke

swissmiss1272841317.452226 PostsRegistered 10/3/2005

I am a big fan of Cle de Peau concealer.  It really does not set in fine lines and is often written up in fashion/beauty magazines.

I do not have dry skin and find that Mineral Veil gives me a really soft look.  The same goes for my Chanel foundation (luminere).

A neutral lip pencil is very helpful for me.  And I also use botox, fillers, sunscreen and retinol products, as well as a good eye creme.  A good night's sleep is a must for my skin/face to look good in the morning.Smile

Qgirl1272841403.5374167 PostsRegistered 4/20/2005

Mary Kay.  I know I have mentioned it before, but I have used these products since I was 13.  I am 51 now and love my skin. 

AlexK1272841655.0632541 PostsRegistered 3/1/2010

Lauren Hutton also sells make up targeted toward older women on HSN.  I've never tried it myself.

nmrainbow1272842434.887395 PostsRegistered 12/8/2005

I'm 61 and I really like the Dior Capture Totale foundation. I have combination skin and it's perfect for me, lasts all day with maybe a powder touchup of my nose. It's expensive, but supposedly has a skin treatment component and it has lasted over a year so far so the expense is not that bad. I particularly like how it adds luminescense without that funny cast to the skin. This is because it has liquid crystals, also supposed to be good for your skin.

If you have a Dior counter near you, get a sample as the color was hard to match for me. I bought #23 (peach) and it is a perfect match for me. And that's another story. I've always been a neutral but neutral shades of foundation make me look dead. Then I realized neutral for me is not lack or pink or yellow, but presence of both pink and yellow. Thus, the peach. And peach is very brightening which is what we all need as we age.

out of con­trol1272843834.053258 PostsRegistered 11/22/2007

What type of blush do you all use?  Like I said the Smashbox is not working for me. How about eyeshadow? What colors do you use with that? I love the look of the smoky eye done with brown, but now I just have to figure out how to do it!!

58 yr. old with menopausal, but normal skin, not sensitive. Brown hair with highlights and green eyes.

angelcat471272847353.4972372 PostsRegistered 7/5/2009Midwest

I use Smashbox Halo as my foundation as I have oily skin...it covers enough for me and leaves a glowy finish.I use a Touche Eclat type concealer...Boots No 7 Radiant Glow Concealer and find it looks better applied OVER my foundation.For blush,I like Maybelline Dream Mousse...it's dewy and lasts well and looks natural,especially applied with a foundation brush.For eye shadow,you may want to try the Rvevlon Matte collection and for instructions,try Youtube...just put "smoky eye tutorials" or something similar in the search bar.I found a great lasting nude lip pencil...Revlon Colorstay in Natural.I also think a highlighter on cheekbones is a must as we get older;for a golden glow,I like Laura Geller's Candlelight Glow;for a silvery-pink highlight,Benefit's High Beam is very pretty.After I apply alll my makeup,I spritz with a facial mist then stipple all over with a BB sponge.It takes away any chalky look and leaves your makeup dewy and flawless.

AlexK1272856445.162541 PostsRegistered 3/1/2010
On 5/2/2010 out of control said:

What type of blush do you all use?  Like I said the Smashbox is not working for me. How about eyeshadow? What colors do you use with that? I love the look of the smoky eye done with brown, but now I just have to figure out how to do it!!

Have you tried a cream blush?  

hashi1272858145.983327 PostsRegistered 5/9/2008

I'm 54. I use Clarins Smooth Perfecting or L'oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting base as a primer I use several different foundations depending on the season & humidity. 

During the winter when my skin is dry I use Revlon Photo ready  or Bobbi Brown Skin SPF 15.  Both are very light but even out my skin tone and provide decent coverage that does not look cakey.

The summer I use Revlon Colorstay dry skin formula or Bare Escentuals.  Both hold up well under high temps & humidity.

Concealers are tricky.  I've tried them all and I have one that I use that is better at the moment than others.  NYX concealer in a jar.  It's a cream.  Works better for than Bobbi Brown

I use Laura Geller Balance & Brighten as a finishing powder or Bobbi Brown Loose powder in yellow

Laura Geller Bronze & Brighten as a face color/bronzer.  Some days I use a blush too.  NARS, Bobbi Brown, or MAC - powder only becase it lasts.

My eye brows are a trouble  zone for me.  I hardly have any brows left thanks to thyroid disease.  I start with a pencil in blonde and draw a brow in.  I use a darker blonde pencil on the outer brow.  Then I apply Bobbi Brown Malted Matte shadow to the center of my brow out toward the end.  I use two different types of a brow brush to belnd the power in to make it look like natural hair.  On dressier days I use a  eye shadow with a slight shimmer ( Wetnwild color icon in Nutty) on my brows.  It looks amazing.  Very refined and natural.  I learned about this on a blog.  Your natural hair glistens & reflects light.  Using a shimmer shadow makes your brows look more natural.

I use Too Faced Shadow Insurance as a lid primer.  It's not drying so my lids do not get crepey.  Shadow is always powder and usually a matte,always a neutral.  I prefer Bobbi Brown, NYX Single Eye Shadows, WetnWild Color Icon.

I always use a eye liner because my eyes are washed out as I age.  I usually use a gel liner in a brown or black applied using a  very thin line.  I sometimes line my eye under.  Mascara is a soft black or dark brown.  I always use Maybelline Full & Soft Waterproof formula.  Great stuff. 

I use a lip pencil with a lip balm.  Some days I'll add a touch of gloss.

I enjoy my make up much more now than I did when I was younger.

out of con­trol1272869851.05258 PostsRegistered 11/22/2007

Thanks so much for all of your replies! I'm going to try your suggestions and I'll let you all know the results!

ok4ablonde21272889462.938837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest

Skinn Cosmetics sold on ShopNBC has a great line of eye shadows.  None are in stock right now though, but they have treatment in them for crinkly lids and they don't have glitter.

"We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland

Good4u1272890438.43171 PostsRegistered 1/12/2008USA - Midwest
On 5/2/2010 out of control said:

I'm sooo glad this thread was started!! I am 57 years old, and for the past few months my make-up just seems to disappear into my skin. The smashbox creme blush that I use is there for 2 minutes and gone! My eyeliner travels under my eyes. This has never happened before. I need new recs for make-up. My skin isn't really oily. I would say that it is pretty normal. Help!!

This is an easy fix...you need to start wearing a make-up primer...it will prevent your make-up from travelling, disappearing and will help it stay wear you put it.  There are a variety of primers out on the market and many with sillicone (if you can tolerate this) if so, the world is your oyster and you will have many, many to choose from.  If you cannot tolerate silicone, you will need to find a primer that is sillicone-free.  HTH

Beauty is ALWAYS before age...(Dorthy Parker misquoted intentionally)
Light-golden warm skin tone (dry side), olive-green eyes, medium brunette: Dominant Color season - Warm Autumn.

Robin R1272890602.1467 PostsRegistered 12/29/2008

Thanks for starting this thread. I love it! I am 53 and my main concern now is my eyelashes. They have gotten thin and sparse. I have been using the Real Lash conditioner that I got here (A91434) and it's really helping bring my lashes back to life. 

I am still looking for a great mascara, that really brings out the lashes but doesn't clump and is easily removed with eye-makeup remover. What mascara do you use that you love?

Harpa1272891224.367515 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

Instead of eye shadows that might emphasize crepiness, use a liner, and shadow only in the crease if you need dimension to your eye, also highlight the browbone. 

Determine why you're using the makeup in the first place...not just for wearing it, but to bring out your natural features, or for concealing flaws.  Makeup at any age should be simple (for everyday wear) and for a specific purpose. 

balto hon1272895837.44326 PostsRegistered 5/19/2005

Less is more for me lately.  Perricone has evened out my skin tones and texture and Laura Geller Balance or Bronze and Brighten are my foundation.  Still using Stacy Schefflin's eyebrow pencil (now ybf on southern channel).  Ethereal pink from LG for blush.  Also, just discovered  Benefit Dandelion by recommendation from someone on the boards!  Love it!  Some mascara, however have given up on most shadows since my eyelids disappeared!  I love glosses and lipsticks to add color.

grannyjann­ie1272898035.0638723 PostsRegistered 11/17/2006West of the Windy City

Hi TWD!   {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I am also mid/late fifties, so understand the frustrations of trying to find things that don't age us further!  I personally adore my Bare Escentuals eyeshadows, but they do have shimmer (I find that a bit of shimmer actually looks BETTER than matte, but that's just me), so I would recommend Bobbi Brown's eye palettes.  They have mostly matte shades, although one or two in the palette might have a tad of shimmer.

There really isn't a lot that can be done about sagging skin, IMO, once it appears, short of plastic surgery, which I am not about to undergo, but I do really like the Bare Escentuals Rare Minerals Eye Cream - it's one thing that I have been remembering to apply every day.  It seems to have softened the crowsfeet at the outer corners of the eye, and it's supposed to help with crepiness as well, but I don't often remember to apply it to my lids. 

It's important to do a bit of exfoliation several times a week - this really helps my skin look its best.  My BE RM Cleanser has an exfoliating element to it, but it is also somewhat drying, so I don't use that cleanser more than several times a week.  Otherwise, I like to use my Mary Kay cleansers, either the Timewise or the original creamy cleanser for dry skin.  Mary Kay moisturizer, or BE RM Moisturizer, is basically all I use.  I try to remember to carry it down my neck as well, but often forget.

I think that a lot of how you age depends on your genes, and how much you've exposed yourself to the sun through the years, and so I don't go crazy buying ridiculously expensive creams, etc.  The die has already been cast by this age as to how I am going to look.  LOL

But I LOVE playing with color, and have purchased nearly every brand of cosmetic out there at one time or another.  My personal favorite line is Bare Escentuals.  LOVE the blushes and eyeshadows, and just have so much fun picking out colors to wear each day, even though I tend to stick with neutral browns, bronzes, and taupes.  haha

I don't wear an allover foundation, though, because I think that it ages me.  I just spot conceal a bit with my BE Well Rested (because I'm a warm skintone - a cool might use Bisque or Summer Bisque or whichever Bisque is right for your coloring) and apply some undereye concealer.

Undereye concealer makes a HUGE difference in my appearance.  It just brightens up my face.  Favorites include Laura Geller's Caulk Pencil, Mally's Cancellation Concealer, and Philosophy's Airbrush Concealer.

I also look better with my brows 'done', and the first thing I apply each day is my Smashbox Brow Tech in Taupe.  Just the powder, I don't use the wax part.  Brows frame your face and really add to the polished look.

For blush, I love to use a BE Radiance or blush, but also like Mally's or Laura Geller's Blush n Brighten.  It would depend on your particular coloring as to which shade is most flattering for you.  I am a huge believer in knowing if you are warm or cool and going from there.  I am a warm and look MUCH better in warm makeup tones.  Cool tones make me look awful. Bobbi Brown's Rouge Pots are nice if you can find a flattering color in them.  They are very different from my BE, but give a nice, dewey look.

I have fun with eyemakeup, and own way too many eyeshadow pots and palettes, but makeup is one of my few vices, and everyone has at least one or two, right?  LOL  I will usually only use two colors on my eyes - one for lash to crease, and one as browbone highlight - and usually it is a brown/bronze, which is most flattering for my green eyes.

Mascara loves are BE's Buxom Lash mascara or Mally's Volumizing mascara.  And in the past year or so, I've had fun doing 'tightlining' on my upper lid.  Don't like the look of it on the lower lid, but the upper lid - dynamite.  :)  SB's Jet Set or BE's Insider Liner are nice for that.

Lipstick is another favorite cosmetic, and I never leave the house without lipstick - I need it on my somewhat small mouth.  I also use lipliner to help keep the lipstick where it's supposed to be, and also like BE's Lip Primer for that purpose.  :)  Dark, brownish shades are just not flattering at this stage of life (were they ever?  LOL), and my whole face brightens up when I apply my lip color.  If you don't have too much problem with feathering and love a minty blast, I highly recommend BE's Buxom glosses, or their 100% Natural glosses, but the 100% Natural ones feather MUCH worse on me than the Buxoms.  Beautiful colors, though.  Today I am wearing Cupcake in the 100% Natural, and it's a stunning color.

I adore makeup and could go on for an entire book on the subject, but I'll stop here and let someone else chime in!  {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Hopeless Romantic :)

Kathleen1272902374.7112763 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down
On 5/3/2010 grannyjannie said:

I think that a lot of how you age depends on your genes, and how much you've exposed yourself to the sun through the years, and so I don't go crazy buying ridiculously expensive creams, etc.  The die has already been cast by this age as to how I am going to look.  LOL

So true.  I'm 67 and I'm not having a problem with my looks as I age.

The women (and men) in my family have been very lucky.  We've inherited some really good genetic material. 

viva9231272902918.7976736 PostsRegistered 4/5/2008Delaware

I am well over 50 and have been using EL cosmetics for about 2 yrs and like the results. I did switch foundations about a month ago to laura Geller. I like LG,foundation. Not to sure about the phenomenal foundation,has silicones in formula. I had to send back all of LG primer for foundation. Broke out in huge welt sores. They were hurting too..So will see if the phenomenal foundation will have to go back too.

I find using EL cosmetics wonderful. I just use 3 basic things daily, moisture,eye creams,and serum. That is it and it has done wonders.

QVCOldTimer1272903108.013647 PostsRegistered 5/19/2008

Hi Beauties,

I am 58 with dry, sun damaged skin.   For several months, I have been using Almay's

Smart Shade Anti-Aging Foundation.  Not the regular Smart Shade, but the anti-aging

one.  I like it alot.  Evens out my skin, but does not settle into lines and wrinkles.

Good SPF too.  No breakouts or problems.  

However, summer is here in Florida, and I will probably go back to my Revlon Colorstay

before long.

denim1272908792.1231206 PostsRegistered 11/14/2007

I'm 69 and like LG Balance & Brighten very much - especially since I learned to put enough of it on -- I was just sweeping  the brush over the B&B and quickly applying it to my face - didn't work so well.  Someone on this board suggested using a damp sponge - works very well.   I've found that a very light peachy eye shadow works best for me - just using it to brighten the eye area, and Lancome eyebrow pencil is my favorite.  LG lipstick with gloss in the Tropics colors, coral and pink.  Blush is still a problem I have very fair skin, brown eyes, and very dark slightly graying hair and don't plan to color it. 

Page 1 of 2