TSV(R) Preview
135 Members and 11016 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Percentage of Retinol in Different Products?

Started 1263772106 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1263835183 by iachick
replies
I know this has been posted numerous times here on the BB but I can't seem to find it when I search. If possible, could someone please post the different percentages of retinol in all the various retinol products?
It would be great appreciated! :-x

Page 1 of 1
Keli1312637724767516 PostsRegistered 1/24/2006
Here's Love2Laughs posts about retinol.
I have followed Dr. Leslie Baumann's advice for a while now because she is a leading dermatologist, and knows her stuff. Here is an article she wrote about retinoids that may just answer your question better than I can put it. HTH
"Prescription-strength retinoids (better known by brand names like Retin-A, Tazorac, Atralin, Ziana, etc.) and their over-the-counter cousin retinol (available in products like Roc Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Night Cream and Neutrogena Healthy Skin Night Cream) may well be the most recommended products in the dermatological arsenal.
OK, I don't have statistics on this one - but I don't have a single colleague who wouldn't back me up on the wonders of retinoids! If you're not using one, though, and still need a little convincing, consider these excellent reasons to check out what you're missing:
1. Sure, just about every new facial cream these days claims to improve wrinkles - but retinoids are the only type of topical cream proven to do just that. Retinoids stimulate your skin to generate collagen and hyaluronic acid, two of the main components of your dermis, which give skin firmness and fullness.
But you don't have to take my word for it: In a study published in 2007, led by doctors at the University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, 0.4% retinol (a concentration you can even find in many over-the-counter products) was applied to 36 subjects with a mean age of 87 up to 3 times per week. After 24 weeks, the improvement to retinol-treated skin was dramatic, and clearly visible to the naked eye.
2. While retinoids are stimulating skin to produce more collage and hyaluronic acid, they're also slowing the age-related loss of those crucial skin components. That means they're simultaneously preventing lines and wrinkles that haven't yet formed.
3. Of course, there's more to great skin than the absence of lines and wrinkles, and retinoids can also improve a variety of other skin concerns. Let's start with increased radiance: Retinoids are powerful exfoliators, meaning that they help slough off the dead skins cells on skin's surface. In so doing, they smooth skin's texture and reveal younger, healthier cells - leaving you positively glowing.
4. By speeding your skin's natural cell turnover, retinoids can also help fade patches of hyperpigmentation. Sun damage, conditions like melasma, and even minor cuts and bug bites can leave behind dark patches on the skin. Once the cause of that hyperpigmentation is eliminated, it can still take a while for dark patches to disappear naturally. Retinoids, however, will speed up the process by which skin replaces itself, hastening the return of a healthy, even skin tone.
5. Retinoids are also highly effective in decreasing oil production - in fact, they first came to the attention of the dermatological community for the treatment of acne. (Lo and behold, dermatologists found over the years that the skin of patients they'd been treating for acne had fewer wrinkles and dark spots than untreated skin. That's when retinoids' anti-aging benefits began receiving greater attention.) Because they also exfoliate the dead skin cells that clog pores and contribute to acne, retinoids offer a two-pronged attack against breakouts.
6. Finally, retinoids are the best way to get the most bang for your skin-care buck. Yes, a prescription for a retinoid or a good over-the-counter retinol product is an investment - but these wonder products are also the best way to prepare your skin for every other product you use. By sloughing off that top layer of dead skin cells, retinoids prepare skin to better absorb every other skin care ingredient you use.
One final note: As you can see, I'm a big fan of retinoids - but not for women who are pregnant or breast-feeding; they should not use these ingredients.
Wishing you great skin!"
--
O S/R N W - oily, sensitive, acne-prone, dehydrated skin

Love2Laugh
Ignore (3 of 20) Re: Thinking about retinol...any suggestions?
Nov 24, 2009 11:28 AM Reply Report Abuse
Here is a more specific list of retinol products to purchase I created a while back:
Please remember, there are A LOT more retinol products out there, so this list can always be added to.
I will list them by product, percentage, and best price I have found/location to purchase.
Avene 0.025 --- .025% - ($44) --- Dermstore (free shipping)
Avene 0.05 --- .05% - ($56) --- Dermstore (free shipping)
Avene 0.1 --- .10% - ($64) --- Dermstore (free shipping)
Afirm1X --- .15% -($35) --- Skinstore (free shipping)
Afirm 2X --- .3% - ($38) --- Skinstore (free shipping)
Afirm 3X --- .6% - ($40) --- Skinstore (free shipping)
Green Cream Level 3 --- .3% - ($36) --- Dermstore (free shipping)
Green Cream Level 6 --- .6% - ($43) --- Dermstore (free shipping)
Green Cream Level 9 --- .9% - ($50) --- Dermstore (free shipping)
Philosophy Help Me --- .15% - ($49) --- Skinstore (free shipping) /Q/philosophy
Alpha Hydroxy Retinol ResQ --- .15% - ($14.99) - Neoteric Cosmetics (the only place I know of you can get this - not sure of s/h price)
Paula's Choice Super Antioxidant Concentrate doesn't list retinol and doesn't contain any (normal skin)
SKIN RECOVERY Super Antioxidant Concentrate contains retinol 0.1% (normal to dry)
SKIN BALANCING Super Antioxidant Mattifying Concentrate contains retinol 0.3% (combination oily)
Each ($24.95) --- Cosmetics Cop (s/h about $5)
Skinceuticals 0.5 ---.5% - ($46) --- Skinstore (free shipping)
Skinceuticals 1.0 --- 1% - ($52) --- Skinstore (free shipping)
Biomedic 15 --- .15% - ($47) --- Dermstore (free shipping)
Biomedic 30 --- .30% - ($49) --- Dermstore (free shipping)
Biomedic 60 --- .60% - ($52) --- Dermstore (free shipping)
Topix Replenix Retinol Smoothing Serum 2X --- .20% - ($50.40) --- Dermstore (free shipping)
Topix Replenix Retinol Smoothing Serum 3X --- .30% - ($57.60) --- Dermstore (free shipping)
Topix Replenix Retinol Smoothing Serum 5X --- .50% - ($63) --- Dermstore (free shipping)
Topix Replenix Retinol Smoothing Serum 10X --- 1% - ($72) --- Dermstore (free shipping)
Peter Thomas Roth Retinol Fusion PM Serum --- 1.5% - ($65.00) ---
QVC (shipping - $5.72) (The highest retinol amount available OTC)
Note: Recent studies show: ""At the highest concentration tested, 1.6 percent, retinol mimicked the activity of retinoic acid (Retin A) 0.025 percent on epidermal thickening."
Neutrogena Dermatologics Retinol NX Serum --- (approx. .2%) - ($65.00) --- QVC (shipping - $5.72)
I have listed only these products because they are either in small mouthed aluminum tubes OR airtight, opaque containers that prevent the retinol from breaking down.
Most of the products listed to be purchased at Dermstore can be purchased Skinstore, they are just a bit more expensive at Skinstore.
All the products listed here, as far as I am concerned, are good products based on the criteria I believe is needed for a decent retinol.
If your skin reacts to any product, meaning it is sensitive, then you should start out with the lowest dose retinol - .15%. or .2%
If your skin very seldom reacts to anything, but you have ever gotten a reaction to a product, then you can start out with .3% product.
If your skin can pretty much handle anything, then starting out with a .5% or .6% will be the best.
Also, if you have very sensitive skin, then you will need to buffer with a cream or serum you have.
Use retinols at night starting out 2 -3 nights per week, and work your way up to nightly.
A pea size amount should be enough for the face. If your skin is sensitive, don't use on the neck area until you can use it without buffering. If your skin is not sensitive, then use on the neck.
Always be sure to use a sunscreen during the day. Your skin is much more likely to burn and or receive those unwanted UVA rays that are the ones that cause the most damage to the skin.
Retinols take time to work. You won't see anything for about 6 months., so patience and persistence is the key.
Please NOTE: If you have an AHA or BHA product that you love and are using, be sure to apply it on alternate nights OR use them in the morning as they do interfere with absorption of your retinol and render the retinol pretty much useless, NOT TO MENTION, retinol in combination with AHA or BHA at the same time can be pretty harsh on the skin.
My favorite when I started was philosophy Help me, but any of these I have mentioned here are great products based on the criteria for a good retinol.
--
O S/R N W - oily, sensitive, acne-prone, dehydrated skin
--
Edited by Love2Laugh at 11/24/2009 9:29 AM PST

Keli1312637849667516 PostsRegistered 1/24/2006
Bump for Iachick

iachick12638351833101 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008
That's exactly when I was looking for ... thanks!

Page 1 of 1