Back-in-Stock Fashions
6 Members and 10594 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

HUGE HUGE RAVE = FOR BROWS & ROOT TOUCH UP

Started 1271964805.26 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1272075158.617 by doglover3
The product is called MIMIC and is from HSN
I just started using this 2 days ago and am totally in love with it. I got it for my roots. I had been using Joan Rivers compact but being it is a powder I had to do it every day. It was also a bit messy, almost like BE so I thought I would try this. LOVE it. It is also a compact but has a wax in it and you rub the brush around to activate than apply. It goes on very easy, covers perfectly and stays put. I was even caught out in a windy rain storm and still stayed put.
I thought why not try it on my brows, have tried and used almost everything out there and while I found some I liked none can compare with this, goes on easy(with the tapered  brow brush  I had) and stays put till I wash it off 16 hours later even when working in the yard and sweating. I have medium to dark brown hair but my brows are black, what brows I have anymore, and this medium brown is perfect. It looks so much more natural than any pencil I used or other powders and 2 and 3 step things, much much easier and looks fantastic which it is.
This MIMIC comes with 2 brushes, one small tapered one for around the hair line which works if you have brows which I don't so used my tapered brow brush I had than filled in with this one in the front, the only place I have brows, perfect, quick, easy and looks the most natural and will stay put till you wash it off.
Using Joan Rivers on my roots is something I had to do every day to make coloring last a bit longer but with this I only have to use it when I wash my hair, otherwise, stays put, can't rave enough about this product and so glad I went on AD, perfect is putting it mildly.

Page 1 of 1
highmainte­nancejan1271969997.7072704 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Doglover...

It looks small...how long does it last?

I use the blonde in JR's....but this blonde looks lighter.  I have lt.-med. brown hair.

Thanks for all the info!

♥Jan♥

SilentDance1271970156.61714840 PostsRegistered 10/20/2008Location, location, location!

I saw this a few months back and was going to buy it and should have.  Instead I bought some Avon root touch up products and tossed them.  I didn't like them at all.  Now I just use my Kat Von D matte black eye shadow but as my hair color gets lighter I'll be looking for an alternative.

Thanks for posting and this is on my want list now.

Smile

DebbieDD1271970168.128109 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004

I have had the best luck with a little pot of dark brown eyeshadow and it only cost $1.  Even my hairdresser couldn't believe how well it covered.

doglover31271978531.3139807 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

yes it is small but a little goes a long way, can't see I even dented it yet. For the price and how it  looks and works I am very well satisfied and glad I went on AD.

I have tried all my BE brown eye shadows, Mally for brows, Smashbox, as well as most every other one the Q has   plus Sephora and Ulta.  Up till now my favorites were Benefit and Clinique pencils for my brows, never found a powder that worked or lasted even with using 3 steps(pencil, powder and wax).  This is the most natural looking for my brows and my roots(part area). I do use my own brown brush, more firm, smaller  and tapered, works great with this than I go over it with their smaller tapered brush on the inner corners where I still have some brows left and fill in.

I was on AD for JR compact powder and while I did like it, was a bit messy, very much like BE and also  got on my clothes and if I got caught in the rain, came right out. I didn't have the control of course with my brows for this being I had no hair past the center for the powder to grab hold of so used a pencil till getting this.

I tried Physicians Formula eye shadow powder, BE, Revlon and Smashbox, any and all brown shadows I have,  only one that was half good was Morgen Schick brow palette but this is so much better, so much easier and so quick plus stays put till I wash it off. I apply at 12:30 PM when we get up and wash it off around 5:30 AM when we go to bed.

doglover31271978956.4839807 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Jan, I can't say about the blond but I do use the medium brown, used medium blond in JR which is quite dark and works on my medium/dark to dark brown hair but was a bit light for my brows. I don't use as much of this as I did with JR so think it should and will last just as long for me anyway. Being thicker you don't need at much to cover. I only do my part area, all I need to make colorings last longer, part area than my brows. HTH

It looks like a powder till you rub the brush around to activate than is almost like a gel, has a wax in with the powder which makes it last so long and   don't use a lot either. when I put on JR I use a lot plus get powder all over my face if too close to my face and falls on my clothes as does most powder things so this is much easier plus it really lasts till you wash it off. Very natural, I have very dark, almost black brows and a medium to dark brown hair and I got medium brown, works great for my hair and brows.

birdie1271979619.8271373 PostsRegistered 8/5/2006

Is it tacky? Sticky to the feel after?  I have grey roots showing 2 weeks after I color...UGH!  Have tried many products and have had luck with Renior Hair Touch Up.

I order thru Boydsnyc.com  It's like a mascara wand but goes on much nicer and NOT sticky like others I've tried.  I still use the JR's to fill in at my crown area but this is the best, thus far, for covering grey/white between  salon visits.  I also have good luck with Jane shadow pots...I find the darkest brown I can and use a retractable brush to cover in the root/part line.  My hair stylist is stunned by how well this covers! 

Thanks for the post on the new product!  Always good to know whats out there when our HG's get discontinued....or when we need something new..

~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains Unawakened ~

doglover31271980201.369807 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

no birdie it isn't tacky or sticky, just felt my part area and my eye brows, not tacky at all. No, I have never tried Renior Hair touch up, never heard of that one before but do love this so will keep this one.

This isn't like JR, doesn't fill in spots, just is to cover gray or for the brows to fill in, does fill in brows nicely and look very natural. From the center out and down I have no brows other than a stray hair here and there, only have brows in the center/corner at the top near the eyes so I need something to make me look as though I have the brows I had when younger and this does it for me.

Don't get this if you want it to fill in sparse places on the head or add fullness, doesn't do this, just covers all the graying area and does do that great if that is what you need. My hair grows  rather fast and I would have to color every other week, don't want to do that so using this I can go a month, every 4 weeks which is good I think.

highmainte­nancejan1271981317.4632704 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Doglover...

Sounds great.....

The trouble with JR...is it comes off and you have to redo it every a.m.  I only wash my hair 2 x's a week....I want something that lasts.  I think it's worth a try!!!

Thanks!!!  Great INFO!!

♥Jan♥

birdie1271982982.351373 PostsRegistered 8/5/2006
On 4/22/2010 doglover3 said:

no birdie it isn't tacky or sticky, just felt my part area and my eye brows, not tacky at all. No, I have never tried Renior Hair touch up, never heard of that one before but do love this so will keep this one.

This isn't like JR, doesn't fill in spots, just is to cover gray or for the brows to fill in, does fill in brows nicely and look very natural. From the center out and down I have no brows other than a stray hair here and there, only have brows in the center/corner at the top near the eyes so I need something to make me look as though I have the brows I had when younger and this does it for me.

Don't get this if you want it to fill in sparse places on the head or add fullness, doesn't do this, just covers all the graying area and does do that great if that is what you need. My hair grows  rather fast and I would have to color every other week, don't want to do that so using this I can go a month, every 4 weeks which is good I think.

Thanks DL!  I did see some reviews on this and will definitely keep it in mind.  I'm always looking for new things to try and coloring at the salon every 2 weeks is just NOT gonna happen!

~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains Unawakened ~

highmainte­nancejan1271984128.492704 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

One more thing...

this sounds gross, but if you scratch your head is it under your nails?

♥Jan♥

doglover31271984211.4579807 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

jan and birdie, give it a try next time you need something like this, much easier and no mess at all and yes, does last till you wash it out which I really like, hated having to use JR every single day. It takes a bit to get use to the very first time, have to rub the brush around the compact to activate it and make it from just powder form but once done(quick & easy) is perfect, you put the product on the brush(nice brush) than paint on where you need it, covers larger areas with one stroke, can do my whole part area one side at a time like this than after putting on my foundation I do my brows, great and stayed on even out in the rain. already canceled my JR on AD, so much nicer and so much more natural looking.

doglover31271984376.2139807 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Jan, just saw your last post. Now you have me sitting here scratching my head and digging into my head and rubbing my brows. I don't see anything under my nail. I put it on my hair yesterday, don't see anything now. Maybe if I were to scratch right after I put it on, really don't know being I didn't do that, was put on my head yesterday around 12:30 PM.

highmainte­nancejan1271984565.22704 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

LOL Doglover....I know it's gross, but I use it in more places than my part.  When the wind blows you can see all the gray roots that are visible.  I notice with JR....it's gone in the morning and also, if you scratch your head it's all up under your nails....gross!!!

I'm going to try!!!

Thanks, you're the best

♥Jan♥

JMFINLEY0011272029316.1178925 PostsRegistered 12/23/2004Wisconsin

I was looking at this product as well.I just recently purchased Oscar Blandi Root Touch ups and in the garbage they are going.They make your hair hard and stiff and it comes out after one day even if you wash your hair,so it does not last and its 25.00 for a very small wand,so I will look into Mimic.Thanks for the review and info!!!!!!!!

55 yrs old,combo skin/w oily tzone
med golden tan complexion-no wrinkles yet ,but dark under eye circles,med brown hair with caramel highlights and brown eyes!dry fine hair but better with WEN!

Shelbelle1272030509.3434795 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I do not care for Mimic as a root touch up, was not so easy for me to apply, nor was it a good shade match for me, but I love it as a brow color, the small brush is perfect for that. I stick my old fave, Roux Tween
Time Color Touch Up Crayon for my roots,

BeautyAddi­ction1272033133.585799 PostsRegistered 6/8/2007NY

I use a light hand with Mimic (it's too dark) for my brows, then use Dalton Brow Fix over the top but cannot use Mimic for my roots.  It is too hard to get out of the pan and the pan is too small.  I use Joan Rivers for my roots and it stays on even when I wet my hair - stays on till I shampoo it out.  I think JR goes on and stays on much better.

OVER 60: SKIN - menopausal, dry, not sensitive, few eye wrinkles, mouth to chin (puppet) lines.
HAIR - dry, dyed, curly, frizzy shoulderr length/NOW STRAIGHTENED

doglover31272075158.6179807 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

It is different than JR because you have to rub the brush around the compact awhile to get it "activated" somehow but then it works perfectly for me.

I just washed my hair and has just dried so being I part my hair in the middle I went about 1/4 down on each side, parted and painted the color in then did another layer and so on for each side as well as a little in the back than touched up around my face, doesn't really need it there that much. It has been 3 weeks since I last colored so will color next Friday night. This is $25 so even if it lasts 2 months I am happy but so far I haven't dented it but only used it twice for my hair(wouldn't have needed it today had I not washed my hair) but 3 days now for my brows. It is a bit lighter than my brows but still looks good and really lasts. I love it, much nicer for me than the JR powder which I went through much faster being I had to do it every day and if I went out in the evening had to reapply. The JR didn't work for my brows being when I perspired it ran and I could wipe it off, not this, stays put.  I use my short stiffer tapered brow brush to draw using this compact than go over and fill in and up with their small tapered soft brush. I only wash my hair once a week in winter, every Friday, know some do it every day but for me I know what is best for mine. I am or use to be a hairdresser, haven't  work at it though for a long time but keep my license up just in case. Of course in summer I have to do it more often. It doesn't take me long at all once I got the hang of it, rub brush around well to ''activate'', activates the waxy part I guess she meant. All I know is I love it and it works great for me.

Page 1 of 1