The Joy of Christmas
32 Members and 14932 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Which One Olay or Estee Lauder ?

Started 1270751639.517 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1270828264.217 by Gloria

I currently use Estee Lauder skincare, however it is getting too expensive and was wondering if Oil of Olay works well or not because I'm thinking about switching.

Page 1 of 1
Gloria1270752066.894312 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I have used Oil of Olay for years and years and swear by it.  I don't use any of the fancy lines Olay has out.  I use the Complete in the sensitive formula with SPF 15.  It couldn't hurt to try it. 

If you have specific problems-- aging skin, wrinkles, etc. you can go to their website and choose a line that would work for you (there used to be a survey to help you figure out what is right for you; don't know if it is still there).  They are more costly than the plain Complete.  I have very soft skin (not dry) and no wrinkles, so this works for me.

RedConvert­ibleGirl1270752240.5813883 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW

I can't use any of the Olay skincare. None. It irritates my skin way too much.  I'm an EL girl - use the Verite.

Check EBay or one of the perfume sites like fragrancenet.com to see if you can get it cheaper.

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

ballyk1270752999.5774875 PostsRegistered 7/3/2006http://ballyk.shutterfly.com/
On 4/8/2010 RedConvertibleGirl said:

I can't use any of the Olay skincare. None. It irritates my skin way too much.  I'm an EL girl - use the Verite.

Check EBay or one of the perfume sites like fragrancenet.com to see if you can get it cheaper.

ITA.  Read all the great reviews of the Olay products so I tried them.  It took about a week for my face to break out and about a month to clear up.

I keep trying different ones but go back to EL.  I finally decided to stop wasting money on prducts that cause me to break out and just stick with EL.

penguin631270755718.313537 PostsRegistered 3/6/2006

I dont' use either (I'm a Dr. Denese lover).  But if I were you, I would continue to use Estee Lauder because Olay has more and more of their products made in China.  I'm not going to ever use anything made in China on my skin.

luvboyds1270756096.581113 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004WV

I didn't have any luck with Oil of Olay either.  I tried it a couple of different times only to have breakouts as well.  I have just started incorporating EL into my skincare routine and so far I really like it.  Like yourself though...I wish it didn't cost so much.  

viva9231270756282.9436709 PostsRegistered 4/5/2008Delaware

EL is by far the best in these 2 lines. I use EL and have for yrs. I have used so many other lines over the years. Some broke me out,some   to greasy,some didn't do a thing. EL has given me a smooth face,soft,taken away my facial lines. I would not switch at all.

Gellergirl1270757790.243494 PostsRegistered 7/15/2006

Like you, I used EL and was looking for something less expensive.  I tried Olay and went right back to EL.  Olay made me breakout (which I rarely do) and it seemed like it was always sticky or left a coating...a real pain when putting on makeup.

bljed1270758244.6937056 PostsRegistered 1/29/2008

I've also tried both and much prefer EL.  What EL products are you currently using?  I keep my costs down by using drugstore cleanser, no toner needed either and buying kits if they are available and at gwp times.  I agree its pricier and if its just not affordable right now I'm sure there are other less expensive but good options out there.  Right now Macys has kits available with full size moisturizers along with afew smaller size products.

The Olay fragrance free Regenerist serum might work well for you as an alternative to the Idealist skin refinisher.  Depends on your skin type too.

Gloria1270820884.7874312 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

WOW!!  I am amazed by how many of you have had bad luck with OofO!!  Again, I don't use the fancy lines--regenerist, etc..., so maybe the ingredients in those can wreak havoc with skin.  I used to use just the beauty fluid, but then they started to call it Complete and made it for sensitive skin and w/ SPF (great on both counts)

I really wish you could see and feel my over 50 skin: soft, supple, no wrinkles, no irritation, no blemishes or redness!  I am not exaggerating when I say that people take me for at least 15 years younger!  Could be good genes, or Olay (which I have used for over 30 years) or a combination of both!  {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Gloria

Adelm1270821260.04533 PostsRegistered 4/3/2009

OoO didn't work for me either.  Milia all over my face from the Regenerist line and regular good old clogged pores from the Total Effects line.  

I'm not acne-prone and have dry sensitive skin if that helps.  

Some people swear by it, so try it and see if it works for you.  Other drugstore brands that get high praise include Neutrogena and Roc.  

Patysue1270827304.903190 PostsRegistered 1/23/2006

I use OoO regenerist serum - works fantastically on my aging skin! I just love the feel of it - use it morning and night. I even put it on my hands and upper chest area. I wouldn't be without it! Have an Ulta coupon I'm using this weekend to stockpile some more.

Gloria1270828264.2174312 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

From what some of you say--I say skip the Regenertist and Total Effects line--try the Complete for sensitive skin (SPF15).  I believe they also have an SPF 30.  Apparently, the simpler the line, the better--no ill effects!

Page 1 of 1