Better Than Black Friday
152 Members and 14066 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Facelift in a haircut!

Started 1270253510.537 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1270345903.19 by Mardie

Has anyone else found this to be true? 

In January, I was going to schedule a haircut, but I discovered that I could put my hair back in a ponytail, and decided to let it grow some more.  I thought it would be a nice change and more versatile.  I usually keep it about chin length... maybe slightly longer.  By last week, it was down to my shoulders.  I got it cut a week ago.. back to chin length.  Now, every time I glance in the mirror, I'm amazed at how much younger I look. 

Pretty cheap facelift!

Page 1 of 1
Brabls1270253997.87314740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

ITA.  I have 2 pics taken 4 months apart. Same MU, very similar outfits.  I look much younger with the shorter hair.

jujube1270255072.62699 PostsRegistered 12/21/2004facebook.com/judy.kardos

i look much younger with longer hair, however, i do believe a good haircut is better than any facelift or beauty product.

Love me, love my cats:)

SharonKay1270256805.7033795 PostsRegistered 3/16/2008Ohio

Yes, I recently had the same thing happen to me.  My hair was about 3 inches below my shoulder and it was mostly one length, with long side bangs. I thought I liked it but I started losing my hair and it started looking thin and stringy.  I got my hair cut a little bit above my shoulders and it is lightly layered all over and I was amazed at how much younger I look.It also looks thicker, which is good. 

In fact, it's time for me to get it cut again.  It's a little past my shoulders and it's starting to drag down my face. 

I love long hair but it isn't looking good on me any more.  I can't do short hair, either, but medium length seems to work best for me at this point in my life.

Get rich quick - count your blessings

Iwantcoffee1270257266.282817 PostsRegistered 11/28/2006

Yes. My mom and hair stylist agree!

I too love long hair, but it looks dreadful on me.

itsMe1270264196.873752 PostsRegistered 5/1/2008Sunny South Florida

The day before I chopped it off, I had lunch with a friend who said I looked tired... but she also said she liked my hair long.  I think she liked the hair (thanks, Wen), and wasn't realizing that it was making me look tired! 

It looks like we all (.... okay, with the exception of jujube!) need to be sure to keep those hair appointments on the schedule. 

Thanks to all of your for adding your experiences!  Wink

jujube1270264377.012699 PostsRegistered 12/21/2004facebook.com/judy.kardos

I think it depends on the shape of your face....and whether you have bangs or not.....but there is nothing that can change your looks like a great haircut! that i must agree!

Love me, love my cats:)

bizziebee0­071270264502.7573251 PostsRegistered 1/13/2010Philly Burbs

i've been on the fence about whether or not to get mine cut again.  i got it cut last sept. and died it dark...and i hated it.

i have since made my base color a reddish brown w/high and low lites and it has grown to just below my shoulders.  i am dying for a bob...i just love how swingy and healthy they look....but others have warned me that my face is too full for a bob and it will make me look fatter. {#emotions_dlg.wub}{#emotions_dlg.blushing}{#emotions_dlg.scared}

i wish i had a crystal ball.  lol

the key to looking younger, is to stand next to someone who looks older than you...get the heck away from me!!!
--------------------------------------------------

SharonKay1270267302.3573795 PostsRegistered 3/16/2008Ohio
On 4/2/2010 bizziebee007 said:

i've been on the fence about whether or not to get mine cut again.  i got it cut last sept. and died it dark...and i hated it.

i have since made my base color a reddish brown w/high and low lites and it has grown to just below my shoulders.  i am dying for a bob...i just love how swingy and healthy they look....but others have warned me that my face is too full for a bob and it will make me look fatter. {#emotions_dlg.wub}{#emotions_dlg.blushing}{#emotions_dlg.scared}

i wish i had a crystal ball.  lol

bizziebee - I have a full face, too and I had a bob once (a long time ago) and it did make my cheeks look fuller.  It isn't a good look for me.  Of course, everyone is different so it may work for you. 

Get rich quick - count your blessings

bizziebee0­071270267727.6733251 PostsRegistered 1/13/2010Philly Burbs

i doubt it sharonkay...in addition to having a full face, my neck is not bob friendly....how's that for a nice way of saying yucky.  lol.

i so want a cute short(er) sassy style, but unfortunately, i think i am just one of those people who look better with longer hair.  {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

the key to looking younger, is to stand next to someone who looks older than you...get the heck away from me!!!
--------------------------------------------------

itsMe1270303366.3333752 PostsRegistered 5/1/2008Sunny South Florida
On 4/2/2010 jujube said:

I think it depends on the shape of your face....and whether you have bangs or not.....but there is nothing that can change your looks like a great haircut! that i must agree!

Jujube, I agree.  It's just so hard to get that great cut... and for those of us who have challenging hair or are not that talented at blow drying, getting the right look is even more difficult.  Still, the right cut can make a huge difference. 

itsMe1270303531.7673752 PostsRegistered 5/1/2008Sunny South Florida
On 4/2/2010 bizziebee007 said:

i doubt it sharonkay...in addition to having a full face, my neck is not bob friendly....how's that for a nice way of saying yucky.  lol.

i so want a cute short(er) sassy style, but unfortunately, i think i am just one of those people who look better with longer hair.  {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Bizziebee, we all know our faces!  Maybe you could get some great layers to add some sass without taking all the length?

swissmiss1270305820.1272226 PostsRegistered 10/3/2005

I am enjoying this thread because I can relate.  I am 54 and my face has always been a round oval--with fullness even when I am "thin".  I have definitely noticed my face is a bit more angular and thinner as I age.  Of course, even though I am sort of slim, it is mostly because it is falling!  

My stylist, who is fabulous, agrees with the many experts who say that longer hair can "pull down" your look and make your face look like it is falling down a bit.  However, we have learned I look best with hair with some layers that swings right at my shoulders.  We tried a shorter bob (actually kind of a long bob) at Christmastime and it was just too short. I have seen gals my age look MUCH! younger when they shorten their hair and I think you just have to work to figure out what length works for you.  I think I have found my length (for now)--and I KNOW that if my hair grows much longer it pulls my face down and ages me.  I certainly don't need that!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} 

PS I am fortunate that my stylist gives me such  a great cut that I don't usually even blow it dry.  It just dries and falls like we like it.

Ranchergal1270306372.184295 PostsRegistered 6/13/2007

I look much much younger with longer hair.  The secret is to layer near the face.

springers1270308453.666794 PostsRegistered 8/27/2008so cal

There are different types of bobs, I've had mine undercut for thin hair to look fuller and left longer in the front (cant remember the name) and shorter in back to make my face look thinner.

Whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, or praiseworthy-think on these things.

itsMe1270319401.593752 PostsRegistered 5/1/2008Sunny South Florida

Swissmiss, that's what happens to me... it just weighs my face down.  I'd love to find a stylist as good as yours!  Had one years ago in NY... still needed to blow it out, but it always looked great.  That is, until she cut it really short one day without my permission.  I have a small face, and she had always told me how good she thought it would look, but I kept telling her I don't like it really short.  She did it on her own, and although I eventually went back to her, it was with a NEVER DO THAT AGAIN instruction.  The cuts after that were never as good.

Bizziebee... maybe you should find a place that sells wigs and try on different styles... you might find something you love!

Mountainbaby, part of me wishes I looked better with long hair... I always loved it long.  Maybe someday I'll try it with lots of layers, but I think I'm better off with it short.

Thanks for the suggestion, Springers!  And thanks to everyone contributing.

seaswirl1270323534.5971076 PostsRegistered 1/3/2005

I got a haircut today, and I feel the same way.

~SEA~

Mardie1270345903.187145 PostsRegistered 5/26/2007
On 4/3/2010 springers said:

There are different types of bobs, I've had mine undercut for thin hair to look fuller and left longer in the front (cant remember the name) and shorter in back to make my face look thinner.

I think that cut is called an "inverted" bob, where the back hair is longer than the front hair? 

Page 1 of 1