Weekend Preview
148 Members and 11899 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Gift for a friend who's father passed away.

Started 1263058036 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1263083969 by expectmiracles
My best friend's father passed away last week. i had issues with a place that was supposed to send food to the house and it never got there, but i need to send something. i wanted to send her a gift just to cheer her up. i was thinking of one of the philosophy kits.
do you have any suggestions?
--
Edited by QVCdebt at 01/09/2010 8:29 AM PST

Page 1 of 1
pearllady12630582682967 PostsRegistered 4/8/2009PA
Well it's hard to suggest something because I do not know this person. I have sent some of my friends a nice note with a candle, a note with some candy. I guess PH. would be ok if that is what she likes...............

jesuschick12630582871545 PostsRegistered 3/20/2008Kansas City, MO
Maybe the Calm Me, Soothe Me kit, A92719?
--
The LORD your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with his love, He will rejoice over you with singing.
Zephaniah 3:17

imaclothes­hog126305831921995 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006
I don't think I would send her anything, I think if you want to send something a nice card would be fine.
If you want to do something for her, why not call her up and offer to take her to lunch and out for a manicure? I think she would appreciate time with you to talk more than a bath and body gift etc.

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

QVCdebt12630584554578 PostsRegistered 7/21/2005"The Gisland", New York
amph, she lives in another state. i jsujt want to get something for her to let her know i am there for her.
have the calm/sooth me duo and i love it! but you have to love lavender for that and i am not sure if she does.
i was thinking an AG kit.

LovemyBE126305846025485 PostsRegistered 7/11/2008
QVCdebt...I'm sorry about your best friends father. I think a philosophy kit would be a great idea. She can soak in the nice bubbles and just relax. My favorite scent is Pure Grace.
--
Edited by LovemyBE at 01/09/2010 8:35 AM PST

Last edited on 1/9/2010

Always end the day with a positive thought. No matter how hard things were, tomorrow's a fresh opportunity to make it better.

jesuschick12630586891545 PostsRegistered 3/20/2008Kansas City, MO
Here is another idea. I got the little philosophy Graces sample shower creams (link below) for a co-worker for Christmas who always comments on my philosophy "smell". You could send that, let her try and then follow up with a Shower Cream or Lotion of her favorite. Just an idea!
[url http://www.philosophy.com/web/store/prod_state-of-grace-fragrance-sampler____29057_44057_81089][/url]
--
The LORD your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with his love, He will rejoice over you with singing.
Zephaniah 3:17

imaclothes­hog126305888021995 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006
> amph, she lives in another state. i jsujt want to get
> something for her to let her know i am there for
> her.
>
> have the calm/sooth me duo and i love it! but you
> have to love lavender for that and i am not sure if
> she does.
>
> i was thinking an AG kit.
Oh ok I didn't understand that part, that makes a difference that you are not near her.
In that case, I think a bath and body kit would be nice. Or, if she has a favorite day spa or there is one in her town or city that might be nice, how about sending her a gift card for a massage? Massages are great and you can get a gift card for a one hour massage depending on where you live for around $60 or so. I think that would be a great thing and very nurturing. JMO.

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

JYWilliams12630598583157 PostsRegistered 10/7/2009Kentucky "The Blue Grass State"
I sent a friend of mine a Jim Shore angel.

SharonKay12630608973795 PostsRegistered 3/16/2008Ohio
> I sent a friend of mine a Jim Shore angel.
I think a gift like this is a really nice idea. When my grandmother passed away 14 years ago, my ex-MIL sent me a Snowbabies figurine of two Snowbaby angels hugging. She knew I love Snowbabies and said she wanted to send me something other than flowers.
I just love this figurine. Whenever I look at it 14 years later, I remember my grandmother's love and also the love of my ex-MIL.
I'm not suggesting a Snowbabies figurine but perhaps something along the lines of an angel or something you know she would love that could be appreciated through the years.
Another idea I've heard of is to send a plant like African violets or, if she lives in a warm climate, a rose bush or hydrangea, something she can plant outside and watch grow. A friend of a friend of mine sent an azalea plant to my friend when her mother died and she was very touched by this gesture. Of course, she loves plants so this was an ideal gift for her.

Get rich quick - count your blessings

NurseRecru­iter126306226813869 PostsRegistered 6/9/2005Suburban Chicago
My Father died almost 6 years ago. We were very, very close and it was horrific for me and still is. The only thing I still have which was sent to me and reminds me of him (in a wonderful way) is a wooden angel. They are white washed and usually at Hallmark stores - the name of the series escapes me. Very simple, almost rustic, about 8 inches high. And each has a meaning, or name, such as Love, Patience, Goodness, Faith, etc. I know there are quite a few of them now. It is on my fireplace mantle at the moment but it has been in my home office and in my kitchen some years.
--
Happy New Year to all my QVC Board friends~!!!

Are we friends on Facebook yet? See my profile for FB contact info!

babyb12630638604667 PostsRegistered 12/3/2006SD
When my father died, my friend sent me a Willow Tree....I love those! She sent me the one with the father and daughter, and it has a place of honor in my home! It is very special to me and makes me smile when I see it. Food and flowers do not last, but the thought behind them does....that is for sure. I just really appreciated this gift!!! AND I could tell it was chosen just for me and my dad!

jewelsluvs­beauty12630667922430 PostsRegistered 1/18/2009
Willow tree figurine. I got one when my Mom past away. I collect them, they are wonderful. Come packaged nice and compact for shipping.

sierracat1263067336182 PostsRegistered 5/7/2007michigan
I think the jim shore angel is a good idea. My brother passed away and I gave one to my mom and she loved it. I went to his web site and they have one thats made just for that., it has a nice saying on it and plays music too.

QVCdebt12630753834578 PostsRegistered 7/21/2005"The Gisland", New York
for me i would loved the angel when my mom passes away. but that is not her style.
i think the way to go would be a phil kit. it just seems that it would suit her more.
thanks for your help!

LouisaKay12630763351769 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007
Having been in such a position of losing dearly loved ones, a gift nothing short of "bringing back that person" -- even if only for 24 hours -- will do.
I do not think it is appropriate to send bath/body things and turn this sad occasion into a gift-giving event. If you feel you must do something, a commemorative-type gift would fit the bill better such as those suggested. Or if the weather is nice where she is, send some bulbs that she can plant and start a memory garden, along with a beautiful card mentioning and connecting the Resurrection to the reblooming of the flowers every spring 'tho they appear to have died over winter.

Rowdymom126307767213099 PostsRegistered 6/20/2005SE PA
I'm not sure what her "style" is that bath products would be appropriate, but a lasting memento would be something that may have significance to her. How about a piece of jewelry?
If she's Christian, a cross? One of the "gifts of faith"?
Honestly, my grief was so deep when I lost my dad that if I had received a shower gel it would have felt frivilous. I wouldn't have really appreciated it as much as you anticipate she will. I probably would have put it aside, where it most likely would have been forgotten, or used by my DD.

blonde/gray, blue-gray, dry combination, neutral beige. WEN, Somerville, Clinique

Brabls126307818614740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007
Bookstores have wonderful books dealing with memories of loved ones-just for such an occassion. I received one & loved. it.
I would go with a book or spiritual based sculpture, consistent withn your friends faith, to honor her love for & memories of her father.
I agree that bath products seem frivilous in light of such a significant loss.

Mona Lisa1263080997259 PostsRegistered 1/6/2010
> My best friend's father passed away last week. i had
> issues with a place that was supposed to send food to
> the house and it never got there, but i need to send
> something. i wanted to send her a gift just to cheer
> her up. i was thinking of one of the philosophy
> kits.
>
> do you have any suggestions?
>
> --
> Edited by QVCdebt at 01/09/2010 8:29 AM PST
It's not too late to resend flowers or a basket of fruit along with a sympathy card.
--
*The original Mona Lisa from 06
"Mona Lisa is the only beauty who went through history and retained her reputation.” --Will Rogers

*The original Mona Lisa from 06 \

expectmira­cles126308396986 PostsRegistered 1/20/2006
My father passed away recently and we received a lot of flower arrangements but the one that stuck out the most was an arrangement of live plants/flowers. It will live forever and will always remind us of my dad. Out of all the gifts that we received that one holds a memory.......

Page 1 of 1