Labor Day Weekend Clearance
48 Members and 9260 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Sunscreen without "avobenzone"? suggestions please....

Started 1269871396.86 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1269893005.877 by OCGurl

Hi....After my horrible experience with Neutrogena sunscreen with Helioplex/avobenzone in it, I need a new high SPF sunscreen (for my face, neck and chest). I'm looking for at least SPF 50 (retin-a user). I have adult acne so I have to be careful of breakouts.

For those who do not use or do not like avobenzone in your suncreen...what are you using?

I have a sample of Shiseido SPF 55 but I'm not sure if it contains avobenzone. Sephora doesn't have the "complete" list of ingredients listed for some reason.  

Avene? Has anyone used Avene? I'm trying to search and this name comes up a lot. 

Thank you!

Page 1 of 1
Sassenach11269875215.1774496 PostsRegistered 12/3/2005

I use Devita sunscreens.  All zinc oxide and titanium dioxide.  Very light texture.  NO WHITE CAST and NO chemicals.  

I use Devita Rx Ultasolar 50 on my face.  Devita SPF 30 for the body.

Naturamart.com.  Amazon.com or purebodysolutions.com  

The Rx line is at naturamart and amazon.  The regular line is at purebodysolutions.

I can almost guarantee that you will LOVE Devita.

maestra1269876975.558517 PostsRegistered 3/13/2008

I just purchased Solbar 38 from my derm-all physical protection. During the summer I need as much protection w/out irritation that I can get.

OCGurl1269877774.5137471 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Palm Desert, CA
On 3/29/2010 Sassenach1 said:

I use Devita sunscreens.  All zinc oxide and titanium dioxide.  Very light texture.  NO WHITE CAST and NO chemicals.  

I use Devita Rx Ultasolar 50 on my face.  Devita SPF 30 for the body.

Naturamart.com.  Amazon.com or purebodysolutions.com  

The Rx line is at naturamart and amazon.  The regular line is at purebodysolutions.

I can almost guarantee that you will LOVE Devita.

Devita SPF 50 for me too

you can get samples of the 30 at purebodysolutions.com

no samples available of the 50, but if you like the 30 you will love to 50

cassiem1269881847.6636767 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

The Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection for Face spf 55 does not contain avobenzone, it contains one chemical sunscreen (Octinoxate) and two physical sunscreens (titanium dioxide and zinc oxide).

I like Neutrogena sensitive skin sunblock lotion, it only contains tintanium dioxide and zinc oxide, no chemical sunscreens.  It's also the only Neutrogena sunscreen that doesn't irritate my skin or break me out.

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp211759_333181_sespider_1_1/neutrogena/sensitive_skin_sunblock_lotion_spf_60.htm 

The other names for Avobenzone that you may see on ingredient lists are:

Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Parsol 1789, Eusolex 9020, Escalol 517

Last edited on 3/29/2010

Last edited on 3/29/2010

txrosegirl1269884189.8532305 PostsRegistered 3/22/2007frisco, texas

i also really love devita! i use the 30 for body (which is fine on the face) but will look into the 50 when i run out (which will take a while because it is 6oz - yay!). i DO love the 30 though because it is thinner and spreads so easily. slightly moisturizing as well and NO WHITE CAST! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

i really have to thank OCGurl for her help and reviews on the devita products {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Last edited on 3/29/2010

Last edited on 3/29/2010

♥ lyn ♥
i love my furkids!

OCGurl1269886275.6737471 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Palm Desert, CA
On 3/29/2010 txrosegirl said:

i also really love devita! i use the 30 for body (which is fine on the face) but will look into the 50 when i run out (which will take a while because it is 6oz - yay!). i DO love the 30 though because it is thinner and spreads so easily. slightly moisturizing as well and NO WHITE CAST! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

i really have to thank OCGurl for her help and reviews on the devita products {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Last edited on 3/29/2010

Txrose - U R Welcome, I am glad i could help you!Kiss

Faith-Anne1269887732.861217 PostsRegistered 2/25/2005Jersey Shore

Bellarose...What happened with the Neutrogena?  I am using a new one and am curious....Was it instant?  Please let me know so I don't panic....:)

Faith-Anne - 50 dry menopausal skin - cool/fair - blue/green eyes.

4bellarose1269890589.24992 PostsRegistered 10/10/2009

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll have to try that Devita one.

OCGirl, I'm assuming Orange County,CA.? That's where we are planning on moving to (coastal area) when our house sells (if it ever sells). 

I'm glad the Shiseido doesn't have any avobenzone in it so I can at least use my sample until I buy a new one.

Cassiem, thanks for the heads up on the other names avobenzone can go by.

Faith-Anne, My bad reaction was immediate. I put the Neutrogena sunscreen on my chest at 9am before I ran to the garden shop and just 3 hours later at 12pm I took off my top so I could take a shower and my whole chest area was red with a rash and had a bunch of infected bumps all over it. It has been 3 days and they are still there and it is still red. A little less today but no way could I wear a v-neck top right now and show it. It's pretty bad.

The sad part is that I didn't even need the sunscreen on my chest because I ended up wearing a shirt that didn't show any chest. I'm just glad I didn't put it on my face. 

4bellarose1269891236.15992 PostsRegistered 10/10/2009

maestra, Thank you for the Solbar recommendation. I just looked it up and it is very inexpensive. I'll have to check this out also.

OCGurl1269893005.8737471 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Palm Desert, CA
On 3/29/2010 4bellarose said:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll have to try that Devita one.

OCGirl, I'm assuming Orange County,CA.? That's where we are planning on moving to (coastal area) when our house sells (if it ever sells). 

I'm glad the Shiseido doesn't have any avobenzone in it so I can at least use my sample until I buy a new one.

Cassiem, thanks for the heads up on the other names avobenzone can go by.

Faith-Anne, My bad reaction was immediate. I put the Neutrogena sunscreen on my chest at 9am before I ran to the garden shop and just 3 hours later at 12pm I took off my top so I could take a shower and my whole chest area was red with a rash and had a bunch of infected bumps all over it. It has been 3 days and they are still there and it is still red. A little less today but no way could I wear a v-neck top right now and show it. It's pretty bad.

The sad part is that I didn't even need the sunscreen on my chest because I ended up wearing a shirt that didn't show any chest. I'm just glad I didn't put it on my face. 

Bella Rose - yes beautiful OC  - Socal - sunny california {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I hope you love the Devita!

Page 1 of 1