Top Rated on Easy Pay
154 Members and 11578 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Melasma remedies?

Started 1262972716 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1280187191.66 by Feldspar
Hey ladies
This question is really for my husband. He has recently developed melasma [probably due to aging and all those years that he did not wear sunscreen.] Have any of you have used topical treatments that have effectively minimized the hyper-pigmented areas?
I was thinking about purchasing some Murad Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Gel - have any of you tried this?
I bought him some skin brightener by Dr. Susan Taylor's Rx for Brown Skin but didn't see any results.
Any suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Well behaved women rarely make history

Page 1 of 1
Shelbelle126297288434393 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
4% RX Hydroquinone, tried and true.

HeartsNdia­mondz12629761411016 PostsRegistered 1/5/2006
I agree with Shelbelle. 4% hydroquinone.(The Obagi is the best).

tickledxox­pink1262993045654 PostsRegistered 11/10/2007Orange, CA
Thanks girls!

TooManyCats12631408322694 PostsRegistered 7/5/2009
For those like me who are too afraid to use hydroquinone...I've had good results with Devita's Skin Brightening Serum. It took about 2-3 months, which I thought was reasonable.

Rowdymom126317205213090 PostsRegistered 6/20/2005SE PA
I had good results with Clinique's Even Better Serum. I decided to try it after I saw how good my SA looked after 6 weeks of use. I used it for about 6 months and saw some nice fading. When I added Kate Somerville's Total Vitamins, it really accelerated the process. Then I switched to Perricone, and my left cheek has some new discoloration developing. I'll be going back to EB as soon as I finish my current bottle of Complexion Corrective.

blonde/gray, blue-gray, dry combination, neutral beige. WEN, Somerville, Clinique

bogeymama1263177701443 PostsRegistered 11/28/2006
> For those like me who are too afraid to use
> hydroquinone...I've had good results with Devita's
> Skin Brightening Serum. It took about 2-3 months,
> which I thought was reasonable.
I've been looking at that product and haven't seen many reviews, so thanks for posting this.
Lisa ;-)

Lisa ;-)

TooManyCats12631856862694 PostsRegistered 7/5/2009
No problem...I hope it helps! I should mention that it did very little to fade an age spot I have on my lower left cheek, but it helped a LOT with the melasma on my forehead.

wackers12631882956941 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007SW
I have a very good friend who is Hispanic and they, unfortunately, are very prone to melasma. She even had to go off of birth c pills as that makes the problem worse. She ended up going to a derm here in town (where we have a high Hispanic population) and he gave her a retinol/hydroquinone/vit c cream that he actually developed himself. It worked wonders for completely getting rid of hers and what was even more impressive was that it kept the melasma from coming back, which is no small feat considering we have sunshine 90% of the time here (desert SW) She also wears sunscreen religiously as well.
If none of the suggestions already made work, you might consider having him see a derm that specializes in cosmetic issues (not all derms do, by any means) It is not uncommon for many derms to have a local pharmacy create their own formulas for melasma, as well as other skin issues.
She had very noticeable melasma on the entire left side of her face and it was barely visible within just a few months.
Just a thought if all else fails that you and your DH would like an option for not remaining on hydroquinone for long periods of time. Sunscreen is absolutely essential too, for not increasing the intensity, as well as protecting the skin while trying to get rid of it ~
True melasma can be pretty tough for many OTC products although some do have some luck with them. My friend did not so she turned to a dermatologist for treatment with great success ~
--
Edited by wackers at 01/10/2010 8:40 PM PST

Last edited on 1/10/2010

ElvisShops12631915204622 PostsRegistered 1/28/2007
> I have a very good friend who is Hispanic and they,
> unfortunately, are very prone to melasma. She even
> had to go off of birth c pills as that makes the
> problem worse. She ended up going to a derm here in
> town (where we have a high Hispanic population) and
> he gave her a retinol/hydroquinone/vit c cream that
> he actually developed himself. It worked wonders for
> completely getting rid of hers and what was even more
> impressive was that it kept the melasma from coming
> back, which is no small feat considering we have
> sunshine 90% of the time here (desert SW) She also
> wears sunscreen religiously as well.
> If none of the suggestions already made work, you
> might consider having him see a derm that specializes
> in cosmetic issues (not all derms do, by any means)
> It is not uncommon for many derms to have a local
> l pharmacy create their own formulas for melasma, as
> well as other skin issues.
> She had very noticeable melasma on the entire left
> side of her face and it was barely visible within
> just a few months.
>
> Just a thought if all else fails that you and your DH
> would like an option for not remaining on
> hydroquinone for long periods of time. Sunscreen is
> absolutely essential too, for not increasing the
> intensity, as well as protecting the skin while
> trying to get rid of it ~
>
> True melasma can be pretty tough for many OTC
> products although some do have some luck with them.
> My friend did not so she turned to a dermatologist
> t for treatment with great success ~
>
> --
> Edited by wackers at 01/10/2010 8:40 PM PST

Wackers,

Melasma has been such a struggle for me. I've had only fair results with rx hyrdoquinone such as Tri-Luma. I've had a little better result with Obagi Clear. However, I have done laser, IPL, OTC, etc. This seems to be an endless battle for me, about 3 years now and the melasma on my cheekbones and chin is only about 50% better. I'd love the name of your friend's derm. Maybe I could contact him/her or maybe my derm could. I live in Memphis so an office visit would be out of the question. I'd appreciate any info you can provide. Thanks.

“When I feed the hungry, they call me a saint. When I ask why people are hungry, they call me a Communist.”
― Dom Hélder Pessoa Câmara, Brazilian archbishop

tickledxox­pink1263447647654 PostsRegistered 11/10/2007Orange, CA
thankyou, wackers. My husband is Mexican so I guess he is prone to melasma. He went all these years thinking that he didn't really need sunscreen since his complexion is so dark. Now, with a little push from me, he wears sunscreen religiously.
I think we will try a few more products, like some of the ones previously suggested, before he heads to the derm. If all else fails, he'll probably consider laser treatment.

BESwede12634941166218 PostsRegistered 6/4/2007Colorado
I've had melasma for several years now as a result of both sun
damage and hormones and have gone several routes to try to
get rid of it. Best for me has been RX Tri-Luma which is cream
you use nightly. It worked very well for me although I didn't use
sunscreen diligently afterwards as I should have so some had
come back. I just recently got the RX again and started it again
last weekend- and will be very good about sunscreen this time.
I can already start to see some improvement although I know it
took about 3 months before to have it almost all gone.
I'd suggest getting to the dermatologist and getting the RX for
the fastest, most sure solution- and defininitely sunscreen !
46, very fair, blonde, green eyes, cool "summer" coloring
combination, sensitive skin. Vegetarian

cerinthe12635118132608 PostsRegistered 7/12/2005
No matter what melasma direction you two choose (I recommend going straight to a prescription from the dermatologist) he MUST wear sunscreen every day! If he doesn't, it just won't get better.... you have to stop that sun damage from reoccurring as you are treating.

tannedforl­ife1271776256.2071 PostsRegistered 4/20/2010
On 1/10/2010 wackers said:I have a very good friend who is Hispanic and they, unfortunately, are very prone to melasma. She even had to go off of birth c pills as that makes the problem worse. She ended up going to a derm here in town (where we have a high Hispanic population) and he gave her a retinol/hydroquinone/vit c cream that he actually developed himself. It worked wonders for completely getting rid of hers and what was even more impressive was that it kept the melasma from coming back, which is no small feat considering we have sunshine 90% of the time here (desert SW) She also wears sunscreen religiously as well.
If none of the suggestions already made work, you might consider having him see a derm that specializes in cosmetic issues (not all derms do, by any means) It is not uncommon for many derms to have a local pharmacy create their own formulas for melasma, as well as other skin issues.
She had very noticeable melasma on the entire left side of her face and it was barely visible within just a few months.
Just a thought if all else fails that you and your DH would like an option for not remaining on hydroquinone for long periods of time. Sunscreen is absolutely essential too, for not increasing the intensity, as well as protecting the skin while trying to get rid of it ~
True melasma can be pretty tough for many OTC products although some do have some luck with them. My friend did not so she turned to a dermatologist for treatment with great success ~
--
Edited by wackers at 01/10/2010 8:40 PM PST

Can you give me the name and info of the Dermatologist who treated your friend for melasma? I would really appreciate it.

dsrtgrl1280014998.90730 PostsRegistered 10/13/2009

It would be great if anyone could start a blog on this with pictures. I know we can post pics here but maybe a blog on facebook? I see that many of us are dealing with this issue and find it hard to deal with and have had some success and non success with certain products. I personally have it on both cheeks and haven't found anything to get rid of it. Hydroquinone made it worse after using it. I'M AT MY WITS END! any help would be greatly appreciated. I wish you all luck in finding a solution that works for you.

NurseRecru­iter1280018668.24313869 PostsRegistered 6/9/2005Suburban Chicago

Here's a bit more information about the situation. My little favorite, androcco.com, is coming out with something soon they say but meanwhile, a very good explanation. Sometimes the pages take a bit to load. Ignore any error messages and give it a few seconds.

http://www.androcco.com/Hyperpigmentation.html

Last edited on 10/11/2010

Are we friends on Facebook yet? See my profile for FB contact info!

helping11280037532.3771390 PostsRegistered 7/18/2010

I've never used any of the products marketed to help lessen melasma such as hydroquinone (which may be cancer-causing) or prescription Retin-A (or generic Renova) even though I do have the hyperpigmentation. This consumer site may have posts by former customers about various cosmetics and skin care products including the ones that you'd mentioned: http://www.makeupalley.com and it's free to register.

Paula Begoun, the author of the fun (and informative) book "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me" may have her opinions and reviews about murad (and other) skin care products. Her older editions from '08 and '02 may have more skin care lines included in the book, and they may be found at the local public library (or perhaps one can get an "inter-library loan" from another library).

Over 40. Combo/sensitive skin. Tendency to get eczema.

rnmom1280142782.371373 PostsRegistered 2/11/2010

I too am struggling with melasma and haven't found any products that work. I just started using M2 lotion a couple of days ago to see if that would help. I'm embarrassed to go out without foundation, I don't have just a couple of small spots, I have large patches covering most of both cheeks, since I had my second child, it just won't go away and it's been over two years. I'd love to hear if anyone has had any success also!

Neela1280144643.6231429 PostsRegistered 8/15/2008Fruit Cove, Florida

Hi tickledxoxpink,

I just wanted to share that I have struggled with melasma due to autoimmune thyroid disease for several years. I tried many "high end" lotions, potions, creams, and serums...I got only minimal evening with anything that I tried.

I finally went to the dermatologist to have an age spot checked, she removed that and then prescribed Tri-Luma for the melasma. I have had excellent results...within 3 1/2 weeks I had a hard time finding the dark spots in order to apply the cream! I am very pleased with the results, and regret all of the money and time that I wasted trying "over the counter" products. Just to compare: My derm visit was $106 including age spot removal and $140 for the Tri-Luma (because I am self employed, I have a huge deductible, so I had to pay for all of this in full)...Perricone Complexion Corrective alone (w/o tax, s+h) is $95 per tube and I went through 2 of those and numerous other pricey products that certainly did not give me the results I have gotten from tri-Luma.

I plan to maintain my results with Clinique's Even Better Clinical (because it's affordable, available, and I am pleased with my skin) for use during the day, and on nights that I don't use Tri-luma.

Good luck to you and your husband which ever route you choose...I know it is just such a frustrating condition!

All the best, Neela

Feldspar1280187191.66493 PostsRegistered 5/11/2010AZ

Dermadoctor's Immaculate Correction, and Nia 24 Skin Strengthening cream are very good, especially if you want to avoid using hydroquinone, but it takes about a year to see results when using them twice a day. I've gotten to the point where I have to face the fact that I need to go to a dermatologist, because nothing works for me anymore. I'm not Hispanic, but I have "Meditteranean-type" skin coloring as well, and my melasma gets worse all the time even though I'm not pregnant or on birth control pills (and I'm sure your hubby isn't either of these, LOL). I've used sunscreen on my face every day for many, many years, but for most of my life I never wore it, because I thought it was just to stop sunburn, and I tan like crazy. The rest of my skin looks great, and I rarely wear sunscreen anywhere but my face, so I think the melasma is just "one of those things" that people with olive skin are very likely to get.

Strangely, when using Peter Thomas Roth's Retinol Fusion PM, I noticed almost a "magnification" of my melasma. I wouldn't even bother writing about it, because it seems impossible, but recently another person on another board reported the same thing...so the PTR Retinol may not be the one to try at first.

Page 1 of 1