Christmas in July(R) Sale
20 Members and 12128 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

women over 60 and makeup.......

Started 1262479216 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1265349347 by doglover3
ok, iam over 60 by a hair, and i want to know, how much is too much when it comes to makeup????
iam finding, that black mascara is not working to well on my eyes anymore, my lashes are not what they were, my brows, well its hard to find anything that will cover the gray, and there thinning too, my skin is fair, but finding the right color of foundation, iam so white without it!!!!
darn! i hate getting older, but i do want to look good for my age...
do any of you ladies relate????
iam realizing, i have to learn how to wear makeup all over agin, and how to apply it..
by the way...my daughter is doing so good, and only 6 more chemos to go!!!!!!
bren

Page 1 of 2
cats tail1262480404107 PostsRegistered 7/25/2005
hi Irishwoman: I am well over 60 and haven't worn makeup for many years. When I feel I am ashy or pale like this time of year, I wear a tinted moisturizer, blush, lipstick and fill in my sparse eyebrows with pencil. I am fortunate to have very good skin but I feel when you get older, less is better. Hope this helps. Susan

evelyner12624804712503 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
First Thank G D for your daughter.
I will be 60 in November, I think that the less makeup I wear the better. I do wear a light foundation, and blush. I wear nude lipstick. I only wear a bit of eye makeup when we go to a wedding or some event, because I find that I am always rubbing my eyes. I think that older women who wear a lot of makeup are not doing themselves a favor.

Brabls126248098014740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007
"Staging Your Comeback" is a great book that addresses the changes that keep us lookijng better as we age. Deals with colors, changes in MU that make us look better.

irishwoman12624813412168 PostsRegistered 3/23/2006
> "Staging Your Comeback" is a great book that
> addresses the changes that keep us lookijng better as
> we age. Deals with colors, changes in MU that make
> us look better.
thanks barb ill get that tomarrow!
bren

irishwoman12624814482168 PostsRegistered 3/23/2006
> First Thank G D for your daughter.
> I will be 60 in November, I think that the less
> makeup I wear the better. I do wear a light
> foundation, and blush. I wear nude lipstick. I only
> wear a bit of eye makeup when we go to a wedding or
> some event, because I find that I am always rubbing
> my eyes. I think that older women who wear a lot of
> makeup are not doing themselves a favor.
i find that i rub my eyes alot more now too,,bren

irishwoman12624815962168 PostsRegistered 3/23/2006
> hi Irishwoman: I am well over 60 and haven't worn
> makeup for many years. When I feel I am ashy or
> pale like this time of year, I wear a tinted
> d moisturizer, blush, lipstick and fill in my sparse
> eyebrows with pencil. I am fortunate to have very
> good skin but I feel when you get older, less is
> better. Hope this helps. Susan
thanks susan!
ill try a tiented moiserizer,,,
maybe, ive been trying to puy more on, and it should be less...
like i said, i have to learn a new set of appllying everything now..
bren

MrsSweetie­Bear12624824766304 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Somewhere UNDER the rainbow
I turned 60 a couple of months ago. I still look way better with it than without. In the way of aging blondes, my looks and features are fading and blurring. I love putting life and color back in my face with all my make-up tricks.
I still use it all but with a light hand. I wear mineral make-up for foundation, concealer, finishing powder, blush and eyeshadow, brows and sometimes liner. Usually I just grab a pencil for a quicker lining option.
I do prefer a brownish black mascara now when available instead of the soft black that I chose til about midway through my 50s.

My favorite people are dogs, and
Dogs are my favorite people.

author12624828014237 PostsRegistered 7/3/2005
I'm 63, very fair and I can relate! I have toned down my makeup but still wear it or I look so oooollllllldddddd.....
But, less is more - I don't use harsh eyeliners , just soft grey pencils, very soft shadows - a mauvey grey, foundation yes, Halo yes, mascara always.
Blush I have toned way way down. Right now it is Como/Portofino from Laura Geller, just a glowy pinky brown. I wear very light lipstick and stowed any browns or reds or berries, sigh, in a shoebox under the bed. I do wear gloss lightly in the center of my lips, or just fill in lips with a nude pencil and then add gloss for everyday. No feathering and bleeding of dark lipstick.
Bright pink lipstick/gloss is nice too, or soft rose. It lights up your face, makes a huge difference when you look old, grey, pasty, dry.....ugh!
I like the Anastasia tinted brow gel, I use Granite, sort of a taupe/grey, very very pretty and goes on in a second and makes my brows look like they used to. Wouldn't be without it.
Halo is great too, as is PX Magic powder. And I wouldn't be without YSL Touche Eclat for brightening around eyes, nose, mouth with no shimmer or settling into fine lines.
Also, LG's Ethereal Rose is a fresh pink blush that doesn't look like too much.
Everything is now applied lighter, more carefully, blended, blotted, etc. and it makes me look good and feel better about myself. With none on I would stay in bed all day and throw the covers over my head.
Anyway, makeup is pure fun, and I'd hate to ever give it up.

Angel194812624834464632 PostsRegistered 8/23/2008DFW Metroplex , Tx.
I turned 61 last August and I have gotten rid of my darker lipsticks to. I try to stick with nude or a soft pink. Those seem to look better with my graying hair.
I've never worn much makeup but when I do I usually use LG or Halo and a soft pink blush. I need something to add color to my face.
I hardly ever wear eye makeup because I have always worn glasses and I don't think it shows up much anyway, either that or I just don't put on enough.
Good luck on the makeup.

Teapot12624836291995 PostsRegistered 7/31/2006
I went to a funeral today and saw an aunt I hadn't seen for a long time. She's got to be in her late 70's and was wearing a really heavy, greasy looking foundation, black liner drawn on really thick and gobs of black mascara with her blonde hair. She was always the glamorous one in the family. I just turned 57 and I think I'd better review my routine so I don't start startling small children!

itsMe12624837353608 PostsRegistered 5/1/2008Sunny South Florida
I'm 55, but look much younger, and what works for me may not work for you. I'm very fair with dark brown hair (98% natural) and hazel eyes. I've never had rosy cheeks, and I've always had some darkness around my eyes.
I hardly wore any makeup when I was younger. I wear more the older I get to help define my features. I use purples, greens and dark blues around my eyes, with a pale pink under the brows. These colors show off my eyes and brighten my face, and although they are bright, you wouldn't realize it unless you are very close... I don't use a heavy hand! I use eyeliner... top and halfway across the bottom, but don't use black.... rather I use purple tones, but am craving an UD 24/7 in "Stash"... a golden green. Again, colors are better on me. I look like death if I use neutrals! I do use black mascara.... but then again, I have dark hair, lashes and brows.
I've never used a heavy foundation, but I do use a light one... more like a tinted moisturizer. I really don't need the foundation... all I really need is to conceal around my eyes, but I usually do the light foundation too (most days it's Tarte's Smooth Operator).
I do fill in my brows... the outer half is sparse (but dark). And I HAVE to have blush. I find that if I use a little bit of Benefit's Benetint, and top it off with a little powder blush, I have color throughout the day.
I finish it all off with a light lipstick or lipgloss.
Again, I feel better with color and definition. You have to do what feels best to you. Maybe ask your friends for their HONEST opinions!

Kathleen126248388512434 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down
I'm 67, champagne/beige blonde and fair - cool undertones, green eyes.
I wear Almay TLC (good selection for fair skin tones), an Almay translucent shimmer finishing powder, amber or blue/pink blush, and a light dusting of bronzer.
My eye shadow is sheer brown/gray. My version of a sheer smokey eye. The guy who cuts my hair trims my eyebrows and I dye my eyebrows with Just for Men mustache dye. They are short enough that I don't even need eyebrow pencil.
I don't wear mascara or eyeliner because I don't like how it feels on my eyes. Lipstick is a berry shimmer. I use a clear lipliner - no bleeding or feathering.
Sounds like a lot of shimmer - but it's really subdued and a very very light dusting.
I'm still employed full time (NYC business office) - so daily makeup is a must for me. Whether going to work or going "out" - it's the same makeup routine.
--
Veni, vidi, Visa
(I came, I saw, I shopped)

author12624842974237 PostsRegistered 7/3/2005
I totally agree about doing what is best for YOU! I want to look my best, so sometimes it is more makeup but subtle, and sometimes less but I take the time to play with color, some of the new formulations of foundations that are so natural and pretty and help fill lines and diffuse light.
I also like some color around my eyes - soft hazy plums, silvery greys, even blues and greens work and brighten the eye area and make me look better.
And I really need soft lip color or wow do I look bad - not only do lips fade but they sort of disappear as you age. Aging is not for the faint of heart!

irishwoman12624872502168 PostsRegistered 3/23/2006
> I totally agree about doing what is best for YOU! I
> want to look my best, so sometimes it is more makeup
> but subtle, and sometimes less but I take the time to
> play with color, some of the new formulations of
> foundations that are so natural and pretty and help
> fill lines and diffuse light.
>
> I also like some color around my eyes - soft hazy
> plums, silvery greys, even blues and greens work and
> brighten the eye area and make me look better.
>
> And I really need soft lip color or wow do I look bad
> - not only do lips fade but they sort of disappear as
> you age. Aging is not for the faint of heart!
i totally agree!!!
aging is NOT for the faint of heart...
bren

onion081264968415696 PostsRegistered 1/5/2007
I am starting to think that 60+ women aren't even on the radar when they are formulating anti-aging products. How is anything really going to "stop the signs of visible aging" and all the other euphemisms they use to sell product. I am thinking I'm wasting my money and if I don't want to have Botox, plastic surgery,etc. I should just buy a decent day and night cream and save my month. They are just ripping us off. Does anyone think otherwise?

Brabls126496880614740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007
I also recommend "Staging Your comeback." I am only 55, but I have "paled out"-but have serious red issues. Good book with good ideas.

Wildapple1264969093755 PostsRegistered 11/17/2008Down Home
The only thing I am really doing for aging is Retin-A and a good moisturizer. When that stops working I guess I'll look "older".
I still wear eyeliner, eye shadow, and mascara along with foundation and powder, but with a light hand.
I will be 60 in September.

Love2Laugh12649690934892 PostsRegistered 1/13/2005
>>I turned 60 a couple of months ago. I still look way better with it than without. In the way of aging blondes, my looks and features are fading and blurring. I love putting life and color back in my face with all my make-up tricks.
>>I still use it all but with a light hand. I wear mineral make-up for foundation, concealer, finishing powder, blush and eyeshadow, brows and sometimes liner. Usually I just grab a pencil for a quicker lining option.
>>I do prefer a brownish black mascara now when available instead of the soft black that I chose til about midway through my 50s.
No way!! I would have never guessed you are 60. You look too young.
--
O S/R N W - oily, sensitive, acne-prone, dehydrated skin

havanesecu­tie1264970099365 PostsRegistered 9/25/2007
I am 66 - first SS check this month. One benefit of being my age. LOL. I am told, daily, that people would not guess my age. I am still working and probably will for several more years (as long as my health holds). I wouldn't think of not wearing MU as I have ruddy, uneven skin color. I use mineral make up (BE) with Bisque concealer in areas where I need more coverage. I have changed application techniques to keep up with what is acceptable in regards to blush and eyes. Light hand on color and use neutral eye shadows. I do still line and fill in outer brows with a bit of brown powder (no line). I have never liked myself in lipstick and so go really soft with lip color. I love learning application tips by watching Q beauty shows. I think we all have to just objectively look in the mirror and keep it looking "good" not garish.

NurseRecru­iter126497115013869 PostsRegistered 6/9/2005Suburban Chicago
So happy to hear about your daughter!
--
I always welcome Facebook friend requests - see my profile!

Are we friends on Facebook yet? See my profile for FB contact info!

MrsSweetie­Bear12649727586304 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Somewhere UNDER the rainbow
> >>I turned 60 a couple of months ago. I still look
> way better with it than without. In the way of aging
> blondes, my looks and features are fading and
> blurring. I love putting life and color back in my
> face with all my make-up tricks.
>
> >>I still use it all but with a light hand. I wear
> mineral make-up for foundation, concealer, finishing
> powder, blush and eyeshadow, brows and sometimes
> liner. Usually I just grab a pencil for a quicker
> lining option.
>
> >>I do prefer a brownish black mascara now when
> available instead of the soft black that I chose til
> about midway through my 50s.
>
> No way!! I would have never guessed you are 60. You
> look too young.
>
> --
Hey Love2Laugh - You startled me for a minute. I was thinking, "what...how do you see me!" LOL! So if you are referring to a picture of me on another forum holding my baby granddaughter, that was last year so I was only 59. Plus it is a tiny file.

But mahalo for the compliment. And now I might as well go ahead and plug my HG skincare line, ICE ELEMENTS, lol.

All Dolled­ Up1264973300258 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Lots of good suggestions, ladies! I'm in my mid-50s and have always been really into makeup. A few years ago I was lucky to get a lesson with a really talented makeup artist. (I've gone back a couple of times for updates too.) She really modernized me -- it was perfect timing. I had always hated shimmer. She used not quite all, but lots of subtle shimmers. I hated to admit it, but what an improvement. She has gotten me into lighter colors and stresses thin, thin layers of whatever you're using. Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason though. I never wore black eyeliner when I was young because it looked severe on my pale skin, but now it really opens up my eyes. You just have to try things.
(bren, so happy to hear that your daughter is doing well. Hope she does continues to do better and better!)

Love2Laugh12649738994892 PostsRegistered 1/13/2005
>>Hey Love2Laugh - You startled me for a minute. I was thinking, "what...how do you see me!" LOL! So if you are referring to a picture of me on another forum holding my baby granddaughter, that was last year so I was only 59. Plus it is a tiny file.
>>But mahalo for the compliment. And now I might as well go ahead and plug my HG skincare line, ICE ELEMENTS, lol.
LOL, sorry about that. Yes, that is the one I am referring too. Tiny pic or not, you still look young. And, you are welcome. Plug away....
--
O S/R N W - oily, sensitive, acne-prone, dehydrated skin

MrsSweetie­Bear12649772956304 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Somewhere UNDER the rainbow
AllDolledUp - I liked reading your comments regarding the use of subtle shimmers. So many women past 50 are told not to wear them but all that has changed, imo.
I find that it is the matts that make my eyes look more dry and crepey. I like shimmers and glimmers and even some sparklies look pretty on me. However, even at 60 I will admit that my skin is neither dry or wrinkled.

All Dolled­ Up1264977920258 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
MrsSweetieBear, that's exactly where I notice the most difference! My beloved matts make my eyelids look dry and crepey. Not at all with shimmer. Good thing that makeup artist got to me!

Page 1 of 2