Holidays at Home
25 Members and 10510 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Strongist Retinol Product - without prescription

Started 1262295843 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1297608351.44 by MotleyCrue4EVA
I know this has been talked to death. But, after seeing Dr. D's newest "retinol" product, today, I'm wondering just how much retinol a product must contain to be affective.
Does anyone know which product - that does not require a prescription - has any efficacy at all?
I see retinol on the deck (learned this term from someone on this forum) of many drug store and Sephora products. But, sometimes it's half-way down the list of ingredients.
Also, do those of you who have prescriptions for retinol products pay for your visits, assuming that what you are asking your Dr. for is just to treat, soften, or prevent wrinkles?
I would think that retinol to treat acne or another medical condition would probably be covered by my health insurance. Pretty sure wrinkles is not on the list!
Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!
Emy

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
Shelbelle126229609134565 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
The new Retinol product from Peter Thomas Roth is the strongest OTC I have sever seen, 1.5 %.

StyleIcon12622963623300 PostsRegistered 4/7/2006
Certain skincare companies like Dr. Denese will not let you know the % of their retinol in their products. This isn't fair to the consumer. I rather know what I am buying for my skin. PTR doesn't hide anything and they will even answer all your questions on their CS line. Basically good retinol products at .05% and higher in their products have research on effectiveness of participants who tested it. It takes at least 6 months after using retinol to see results so you need to be committed to using it consistently. I don't worry about these things anymore since I use Rx Renova Retinoid. Highly effective for me and I know what I am getting.

justicemom12622965572647 PostsRegistered 10/2/2007Sunny Puerto Rico
> The new Retinol product from Peter Thomas Roth is the
> strongest OTC I have sever seen, 1.5 %.
Which product is this? TIA
--
~Just when the Caterpillar thought Her world was over....She became a BUTTERFLY~

~Just when the Caterpillar thought Her world was over....She became a BUTTERFLY~

StyleIcon12622967163300 PostsRegistered 4/7/2006
A94606 PM retinol fusion from PTR. You can also get it on AD

Katharita12622967316667 PostsRegistered 11/19/2008Hooterville, Texas
> > The new Retinol product from Peter Thomas Roth
> is the
> > strongest OTC I have sever seen, 1.5 %.
>
> Which product is this? TIA
>
NEW Retinol Fusion PM

Exclusively on QVC & QVC.COM
Maximum results with minimal irritation. Maximally potent Retinol Fusion PM is formulated to achieve the optimal benefits of microencapsulated retinol at 1.5% along with Vitamins C and E to moisturize and fight free radicals.
Pure and potent microencapsulated retinol regenerates and renews skin tone and texture with retinol creating a vibrant and healthy complexion. Helps reduce fine lines & wrinkles. Moisturizes with vitamins C and E to ensure minimal irritation. Skin's renewal process is encouraged by our technologically advanced combination of microencapsulated retinol & vitamins C and E to ensure stability and efficacy. For normal to dry skin.

Price: $65.00 | 1 fl oz / 30 ml
CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, SQUALANE, RETINOL, ASCORBYL PALMITATE, TOCOPHEROL, WATER (AQUA), PENTYLENE GLYCOL, POLYSORBATE 20, LECITHIN, BISABOLOL, ALCOHOL
--
Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrowmindedness."- Mark Twain ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shelbelle126229699034565 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
There is an ebay seller who is selling the Roth product for $45 with free shipping, she has plenty of them listed right now if anyone is interested.

Emy12622979014064 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Silver Spring, Maryland
Shel and Style,
Thanks for responding, so quickly. I agree that it makes no sense to spend money for a cream or serum that probably is to weak to work.
Style, do you see a derm for your prescriptions? Just wondering - if you don't mind me asking - if you have to pay all of the charge for the office visit.
I was thinking that I could go to a derm for a check about some questionable areas on my arms and legs. (In my younger years, those are the only areas that I wanted tanned as dark as possible.) My mother and mother-in-law warned me, early in my teens, about "sun spots" that could appear on your face and never fade. No one new about, or talked about, skin cancer, at that time.
Maybe the derm would be kind enough to write a prescription??
I'm guessing that my prescription plan will not cover the cost of a Retinol gel, cream or whatever.
If you don't mind, could you estimate what the full-cost of a prescription Retin-A product runs?
Like others, who are posting on other threads, I am determined to reduce the number of skin care products that I am buying, unless I can see that they are working. Well, given a reasonable test period, of course
I can't tell everyone how much I appreciate all of the information posted on these boards! So much time and money saved!
Happy New Year!
Emy
--
Edited by Emy at 12/31/2009 1:21 PM PST

Last edited on 12/31/2009

StyleIcon12622989263300 PostsRegistered 4/7/2006
Emy I started going to a dermatologist in my 30's (I am 50) and finally found a great one that deals with anti aging treatments like Retin-A etc. You must call around to find one that not only deals with the skin but anti aging as well. My first dermatologist was an elderly man who told me to wash with dove and didn't believe in retinoids, etc
I started with OTC retinols like green cream and went up in strength to level 9 (.09%) then saw my derm for a script for Retin-A but it made me very irritated and then I got a script for renova and I have no problems with it. My insurance won's pay for it but for me it is so worth it. My doctor visit costs a co-payment.
Every year I get a full body check for moles,etc.

Emy12623001754064 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Silver Spring, Maryland
Shel, Style, Justice and Kat,
The price of the Retinol Fusion doesn't sound bad to me -- especially if it might actually work!
Does anyone know if it would be worth it for me or anyone new to retinol products to try Green Cream at the maximum strength? I tried the number 3 and didn't see any results. I gave the tube to my sister, who did experience a bit of redness for a few days.
I'm wondering about six or nine. Just wondering if I should try the highest possible dosage without getting a prescription. If I have no reaction, then I'm with Style - it would be worth it to buy the prescription strengths at full-cost.
I'm just thinking back and cringing at the thought of how much money I've thrown away. :_|
Going to search for the Retinol Fusion Pm.
Hope everyone is staying home and safe, tonight.
Emy
--
Edited by Emy at 12/31/2009 1:57 PM PST

StyleIcon12623007843300 PostsRegistered 4/7/2006
Emy if you want to start with a good retinol first and then go to prescription it is a good way to start your anti aging routine. I believe most start at level 6 at Green cream and then move to level 9 after using up the level 6 bottle. It took me much longer due to my senstitive skin to move up in levels. I used to get my green cream at skincare rx dot com and I have a 10% coupon if you need it. PTR's retinol pm serum may be the way to go since his is buffered with ingredients.
I still need a good moisturizer for my skin and cut down to just a few products now. Don't worry about all the money you spent already think about all the money you will save by going to a good retinol or retinoid in the future. :-)

sheltielvr1262300884628 PostsRegistered 6/26/2005
Peter Ross it is

Live long and prosper!

DJP1262301231558 PostsRegistered 9/10/2007
I use the Roth retinol fusion and I love it! I noticed a difference very quickly. My skin looked brighter, pores smaller and even got compliments on my skin. It is very watery but I hold the dropper upside down and just tip it a little on my finger to smooth around my face and eye area. Nothing else worked for me. Wasted a lot of money, too.

Emy12623045064064 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Silver Spring, Maryland
Just looked at the PTR Retinol Fusion PM and was surprised at how inexpensive this product is, considering all of the five star ratings in the product reviews and also the recommendations made on this thread.
Actually, the serum and moisturizer combo might be worth the investment.
Style,
My skin responds well to Dr. D's Dream Cream. Very moisturizing and not greasy. Also, in the winter, I pat L'Occitane's Shea Butter Facial Cream over the Dream Cream. I use the two together, particularly if I'm going out in the wind or think I'll be spending some time monitoring kids, outside, at the Y.
Also, as soon as I get a new filter, I'll be using my cool mist humidifier at night. It's great for my skin. (Discovered this plus after using the humidifier to treat a sinus infection.)
Somewhere on this forum, I posted about two Boot's products that are helping me with my winter dry skin. I'm using the Boot's Cleansing Milk and Boot's Skin Tonic (Damask Rose scent) in the mornings. The Skin Tonic bottle reads, "a purifying, softening toner with refreshing rose oil and hydrating glycerin." I actually bought this product because I thought the description sounded so ladylike and romantic. Under ten dollars and I love the feel and smell!
Best,
Emy
--
Edited by Emy at 12/31/2009 3:10 PM PST

scoop1262305552145 PostsRegistered 8/7/2007
Sephora also carries the PTR Retinol if you want to save on S&H.

Shelbelle126230612434565 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Plenty of the PTR retinol night cream on ebay too.

Judaline126230646315646 PostsRegistered 8/26/2006street of dreams
Just remember-retinol is not retin-a. They are two different animals.

gardensla126230719419164 PostsRegistered 9/7/2006Los Angeles, CA
Why would you not want to visit a derm and get an opinion on your skin and a prescription?

Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

cerinthe12623073182608 PostsRegistered 7/12/2005
Also with retitoic acid (like in retin-a, hope I spelled that right,) retinoids, retinols, etc., the strength of the product obviously is important to results/skin type, but don't forget that these are unstable and its VERY important to 1) have fresh product (most studies done talk about creating and mixing the product immediately before the trial, and they will not use 6 month old product, they instead created a new batch to make sure the product was at the proper strength and consistency that was being studied,) and 2) is properly packaged such that light and air won't affect it and degrade its effectiveness. This basically means an opaque (you can't see the product) tube for most items, or an opaque air tight pump.
So if they product was obviously old, or sitting on the shelf a long time, or didn't come packaged properly, I would take all those things into consideration before expecting significant results.

henderson1262312022353 PostsRegistered 10/4/2008
I'm using Retin A. Should I also be using a retinol? Thanks!

gardensla126231419719164 PostsRegistered 9/7/2006Los Angeles, CA
Henderson--NO! Let me say, from personal experience that too much of a good thing turns bad real fast. One week I topped my usual Retin-A with a retinol serum from Perricone and even now, 6 months later, still have a 'burn' mark on my neck from the intense irritation that was the result.
Beware!

Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

Emy12623773974064 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Silver Spring, Maryland
Thank you, Scoop,
I was thinking, last night, that I could just go to Sephora for the PTR serum.
I'm going to go with the PTR or the number 9 Green Cream. Well, the number 3 did nothing for me. Maybe I should go for six. But, I'm anxious to boost my skin care and am convinced that Retinol or Retin A products are what I need.
It's great to be able to post a question on this forum and know that ladies who have thought this issue through - and spent some time researching - will answer.
Thank you, ladies!
Emy

scoop1262377665145 PostsRegistered 8/7/2007
You're welcome, Emy. Happy New Year!

Emy12623779174064 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Silver Spring, Maryland
Garden,
We have a small, summer cottage about two blocks off of the Cheasapeake Bay, here in Maryland. It was once owned by my husband's mother and father.
I spent years walking the beach, looking for shark's teeth and sea glass. I always protected my face with sunscreen and a hat, but toasted my legs and rest of my body. I used nothing but Coppertone Oil on my body. So, I do have some "spots" on my thighs that I have been wondering about. They appear to be brown "freckles." I want to find out if they are okay, since about four others ladies, who live year-round at Breezy Point, have had some minor surgery for non-malignant skin cancer.
That's why I need to go to a derm. I just didn't know any better, at the time. I thought the darker, the better.
Best and Happy New Year!
Emy
--
Edited by Emy at 01/01/2010 11:34 AM PST

Last edited on 1/1/2010

justicemom12623782572647 PostsRegistered 10/2/2007Sunny Puerto Rico
> Thank you, Scoop,
>
> I was thinking, last night, that I could just go to
> Sephora for the PTR serum.
>
> I'm going to go with the PTR or the number 9 Green
> Cream. Well, the number 3 did nothing for me. Maybe
> I should go for six. But, I'm anxious to boost my
> skin care and am convinced that Retinol or Retin A
> products are what I need.
>
> It's great to be able to post a question on this
> forum and know that ladies who have thought this
> issue through - and spent some time researching -
> will answer.
>
> Thank you, ladies!
>
> Emy
Emy, I started with GC 6 and then moved on to Retin A without a problem. HTH, You can also get GC on ebay from cosmeticmall.
--

Keli1312623789857516 PostsRegistered 1/24/2006
> I'm using Retin A. Should I also be using a retinol?
> Thanks!
Retinol is over 10 times weaker than the lowest strength Retin-A and on top of that Retinol has to go through 2 conversion in your skin to give your skin any kind of benefit. Much gets lost while those two conversions are happening in your skin for retinol to change to retinoic acid.
With Retinol, cells have to first convert vitamin A to retinoic acid thru 2 conversions. The rate of the conversion is low and varies significantly among individuals. What does this mean? Low strength topical vitamin A formulations like some low strength retinol products, especially products that are based on the ingredient retinyl palmitate, are usually ineffective - not enough of vitamin A is converted into a retinoid. Stabilized, high strength topical retinols like PTR's retinol and other high end retinol products may be effective, but due to variability in conversion rates the results are far less consistent than with true retinoids like Retin-A, Renova and Tazorac.
Retin-A, Renova or Tazorac are much more beneficial to your skin when it comes to anti-aging and prevention.
Retinol products are great to start out with before moving up to Retin-A or Renova but you don't want to use both at the same time unless your alternating them on opposite nights.
If your tolerating Retin-A nightly than stick with that. If you can't use Retin-A nightly yet, you could alternate with a good retinol product like PTR's on your nights off from Retin-A.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next