TSV(R) Preview
133 Members and 11062 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

My face and Neck don't Match Need Makeup Help

Started 1262238075 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1262314198 by srick tx
I am going to the mall on Thursday on a quest to find the best liquid makeup for my 41 year old skin. In the past the SA has tried to match the makeup to the color on my face which has some redness and discoloration. My face is darker than my neck. When they match my face I have a noticeable difference in the color between my face and neck. This bothers me. My face is light and my neck is fair. I have been told that and can wear both cool and neutral colors. What should I do match my face or my neck. This afternoon I took all of my makeups and put them on my neck. They looked orange, yellow or red. My three year old told my to be careful when I paint and not get any on my skin. I am going to start with Lancome and work my way to Sephora in my search. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 1
MissSugarK­ane1262238641118 PostsRegistered 10/23/2007
I just wanted to say I have the same problem. The SA always match to the pink ruddiness on my face and then my face and neck don't match. The one time I got a color light enough to match my neck my face looked like I was painted up as a ghost at Halloween. I feel insecure when I have foundation on because I can't find a shade that looks right on me.
--
Jamie

Jamie

Just Jon12622388431095 PostsRegistered 10/6/2009
I always use something like Balance-N-Brighten to even out any 2-color facial discoloration. I suppose this would work for the neck/face line too.

shorty1011262239020223 PostsRegistered 3/15/2008Louisiana
> I just wanted to say I have the same problem. The SA
> always match to the pink ruddiness on my face and
> then my face and neck don't match. The one time I got
> a color light enough to match my neck my face looked
> like I was painted up as a ghost at Halloween. I feel
> insecure when I have foundation on because I can't
> find a shade that looks right on me.
>
> --
> Jamie
Jamie I know how you feel. I think people are looking at me and saying "poor thing" she does not know how to match her makeup. I wished that I would have stayed out of the sun in my 20's. My son has my coloring and dark blonde hair with red highlights. I would love to have his fair skin again. I make sure he is protected when we go into the sun.

Sister Gol­den Hair126224105014544 PostsRegistered 7/18/2008
I had really good luck with the MAC counter at Macy's. The girl that did my make-over was great and knew her stuff. I was really impressed.
--
Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

NurseRecru­iter126224152313869 PostsRegistered 6/9/2005Suburban Chicago
I say go with a medium to full coverage foundation and match your neck! A good foundation should cover your redness issues because it is a good foundation, not because it is a darker shade! Insist on matching the neck and make them find the right formula for coverage. Of course, this might have a trickle effect in that your blushes or lip colors might need a lighter hand!
Medium to full coverage foundations have come a long way and most are actually quite light and natural feeling on the face.
--
Happy New Year to all my QVC Board friends~!!!

Are we friends on Facebook yet? See my profile for FB contact info!

cpn2jxp1262244619506 PostsRegistered 9/12/2007
I have used Estee Lauder Doublewear for over 13 years. LOVE IT! I am fair and wear the color Fresco, which is a very popular color. Do not buy anything, get samples. All of the counters will give you samples, which are extremely important to try at home. I usually get a 4 day supply. NEVER buy makeup after a makeover at a counter. You need to try it with your own regime. The Estee Lauder colors never have turned orange. They have other types of foundations for different coverages. This makeup never fades or turns and the coverage is excellent. Most foundations start at 32.00 and up. Also ALWAYS ask if it can be returned if youi don't like it. A powder over it is also essential as it will set the foundation. Clear or a lighter shade and not too heavy is important. The wrong powder can turn your face a odd color too. I love Laura Gellers products but I am hooked on EL foundation.

4doggies12622682443501 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Robert Jones makeup book says that if your face and neck are different, you should match your foundation to your neck. Of course if your neck is extremely lighter, this might make your face look a little pasty, so I would look for a 'happy medium' that comes closer to matching your neck.

author12622690294348 PostsRegistered 7/3/2005
When I've had my color matched they usually paint stripes of it on my face right near the lower jaw area on the side close to the neck - when one stripe disappears it is a match. Get samples! If you go as light as your neck your face might look ghostlike, but it seems as if you do need a lighter shade so it all blends well.
I tend to add a bit of bronzer to my neck in the warmer months to give it some color so it all blends better. I think many of us especially with fair skin have this problem. Good luck!

shorty1011262279565223 PostsRegistered 3/15/2008Louisiana
I wanted to thank everyone for the help. I will have about three hours at the mall today to collect samples. I have tried Estee Lauder DW three times and they keep putting me in dusk. It looks pink on my face and red next to my neck. When Iook at my face in the sun it has pink tones but my neck looks more neutral. I think that I will have to try to find a happy medium.

straycat19­5712622804791564 PostsRegistered 4/30/2008
Last time I bought foundation (Bobbi's stick) I specifically told the SA that I wanted to match my face to my neck. She acted like that was wrong...but it only makes sense for me. I don't wear makeup all over my neck, it balances out the color of my face and makes me look all even. And I can use the stick to cover the little discoloration on my neck without it showing up. She matched my foundation to my neck and it works perfectly on my face. Covers redness and looks great.

shorty1011262308111223 PostsRegistered 3/15/2008Louisiana
Well I had a good trip to the mall and I feel better about my foundation. I had a wonderful Lancome SA. She spent a lot of time with me so that I could get the best color match for my face and neck. She decided that I looked best in Photogenic Lumessence Ivoire 2 (c). When she was finished with my makeup I went to where my mother works and asked her how my makeup looked and she asked my what makeup. She told me that I look natural like I did when I was a teenager. This made me feel so good. My mother does not give compliments easily. The SA also showed me how to use a bronzer to darken my neck just a bit. Now my face and neck match better. I also bought the MUF High Definition Powder and the HD Microperfecting primer (At Sephora) As soon as I got home I took off my makeup and started over. I had the same results. The only thing that I am having problems with is my red nose. My concealer does not work as well as the Lancome one. It does not stick to my nose with the new makeup. If this makeup works out I may have to go buy the both the makeup and concealer. My BB concealer slides off my nose with the new makeup.

srick tx12623141982055 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
I'm somewhat fair and use Dr. D's daycream on my face before foundation. I use BE Fairly Light foundation over that, but since the daycream is tinted my face is always much darker than my neck even though I use such a light colored foundation. I am able to make my neck nearly the same shade as my face by brushing BE Medium foundation on it daily.

Page 1 of 1