A Day of Vicenza Style(R)
30 Members and 10218 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Retin A and moisturizers question

Started 1347196202.877 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1347206059.627 by cassiem
replies

Hi ladies.....

Can you help with with a question regarding the use of Retin A and moisturizers?....Some people are saying you can use a moisturizer before retin a and some are saying to use after retin a......which one would give the best result?

Also, is there any particular moisturizers which I should be using with the retin a?..

Thanks so much for your help : )

Page 1 of 1
morganjen1347197814.152647 PostsRegistered 11/25/2004

I use Complex 15 after Retin A. It doesn't have any actives in it and just really moisturizing. I think that's what you'd want to look for.

StellaDiva1347198264.961134 PostsRegistered 10/15/2011

I use a moisturizer after Retin- a, waiting a few minutes (5-20). The moisturizer shouldn't be anything special, just use it if you feel your skin is dry. The Retin-a base is quite emollient.

Sadiesadie1347198666.88218 PostsRegistered 8/5/2011

First, your pharmacist would probably be the best person to ask. Having said that I can't imagine putting a barrier like a moisturizer on first.

I get a compounded one and when I asked the pharmacist he said I could use anything with it. No issues putting moisturizer on afterwards. I only had to do that when I first started using it but not since. Don't know if mine is a bit different due to the other compunds they added such as hylauronic acid and a couple others I can't remember the names of right now that they said help the affectiveness.

Check with your pharmacist to get the scoop on the best way to use it.

VaBelle351347200211.5539458 PostsRegistered 11/19/2004VA suburbs of Washington, DC

This is how my dermatologist set me up.

For a year, I was cleansing with Vanicream cleansing bars and then applying Vanicream Lotion and then applying the Retin A.

For the last 6 months she has me now putting the Retin A on first and then the Vanicream Lotion.

I am going back next week for my 6 month check and I don't know if she will change it again.

What I appreciated about this method was that I never had any redness or drying but the improvement in my skin has been amazing (I had a lot of sun damage on my cheeks as well as rosacea.

I didn't think my skin could improve, but in the last 6 months changing to Retin A first, my skin is actually even better.

I think it will come down to whether you want fast results or not. I was very happy not to have any drying, redness or peeling. When I did Retin A 15 or so years ago, I gave up on it very quickly because I could not deal with the redness and peeling.

QVC Shopper since 1993

cassiem1347206059.6276807 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

You can use moisturizer before or after the retin-a, it depends on your skin.

Using moisturizer before retin-a will buffer it, making it gentler to the skin. This method is good for people who have sensitive skin and issues tolerating retin-a. It's also good for people who are new to retin-a to help the skin acclimate to it. This is how I started and I never had any redness, peeling, or dryness. The retin-a will still penetrate, but will absorb more slowly and will be slightly diluted. It will still be effective, but may take longer to see results.

Using moisturizer after retin-a will help moisturize the skin and counter the drying effects of the retin-a. This method is good for people who get a lot of flaking and dryness while using retin-a.

If your skin is oily, tolerant, or very strong, you may not need a moisturizer with it at all.

Be sure to use a moisturizer without any additional actives (like glycolic acid, peptides, or retinol) because they can cause irriation when used with retin-a. Something simple that just moisturizes without all the bells and whistles is best. I really like Complex 15.

Last edited on 9/9/2012

Last edited on 9/9/2012

Page 1 of 1