Creede Silver Sale
131 Members and 16793 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Volumizing Shampoo and Conditioners.

Started 1346877693.64 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1347104706.013 by UMTerpFan

I am not trying any more products that claim to give you volume. I have concluded that they are too drying. Years ago I tried a number of Nick Chavez's products only to be disappointed. Remember those huge kits with several products. I recently purchased his volumizing shampoo and conditioner and also tried the spray for volume. It does nothing but dry my hair out. I've found this same result with other brands, not just Nick's. I am wondering if they make these products for oily hair which would result in drying it out. Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 1
KatCat11346879790.75317049 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

I have used Redken and Aveda and never had a drying problem. Good luck.

mooshka1346881659.9168 PostsRegistered 4/23/2006

Try Living Proof Full Shampoo and Conditioner. I have gotten great results, full shiney hair. I also use other products and they all help. I also use Aveda volume tonic. Good luck.

TheKateMei­ster1346884422.132265 PostsRegistered 4/25/2012The Land of Pleasant Living
I totally agree with you, and no longer use any volumizing shampoo or conditioners. I use Organix Moroccan line and it has greatly restored my hair back from that dry brink! I find that if I just use volumizing product and not the volumizing shampoo and conditioner, I don't have the dryness problem. You might try that route..? Good luck!

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours." ~ Wayne Dyer

30-ish; thick, straight hair; combo/oily skin.

KentuckyWo­man1346888302.4931779 PostsRegistered 10/29/2009

I have baby fine hair that has a mind of its own. I used Amplify haircare products by Matrix for about twelve years. My hair looked and felt like straw. I started on a quest to find the best salon volumizng shampoo to pump up my baby fine hair. It doesn't exist. I tried everything including Wen. I finally go so disgusted I went to Walmart and decided on Captivating Curls shampoo and conditioner by Suave. This is from their Suave Professionals line that is comparable to similar products by Redken. My hair is clean, soft, silky, shinny, manageable and has lots of curl and bounce. I haven't tried the volumizing shampoo from this line but I might do that next.

One thing I have noticed about most volumizing shampoos is that they are almost always clear. Shampoos that are clear generally tend to dry out my hair. Anyway, I believe we are being duped when we are told that you can't find excellent haircare products at the drug or BM stores. I think they are out there. You just have to find the one that works for you.

Last edited on 9/5/2012

Last edited on 9/5/2012

danni rose1346889905.822552 PostsRegistered 5/14/2011

i really love joico generally, but i recently tried their volume shampoo/conditioner ... not thrilled by any means. when it's done, on to something else.

Eager2Learn1346893163.89824 PostsRegistered 10/21/2011

Well, I'll tell you one thing. I will never ever order this product again. The shampoo & condtioner made my hair look like straw!

Ojon Volumize and Restore 5-pc.Collection Auto-Delivery

"All great achievements require time." - May Angelou

baby burns1346899269.38793 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007

i have blonde hair, and i have found to keep it from being flat and too soft, i use shampoo, then i add my volumizing products, also i only use leave in conditioner. if i use the regular i can not tell how much conditioner is in it. appyling things one at a time works out much better for me, as opposed to counting on one product to do it all. i put leave in conditioner, then i use then mousee, if i want more hight or hold, i spray on a over all good holding spray not always a hair spray, i do not like that, but just a spray on holding spray. it works well for me, i know we all have different hair, thats for sure!!!!

a cook1346899388.6372016 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

I talked about this with my hairdresser years ago. He said that volumizing shampoos and conditioners often work by temporarily swelling the hair shaft. But that makes it more vulnerable to damage and when it unswells, it can break and dry out. He recommended only using products that you use after you get out of the shower. I sometimes use the Bumble and Bumble volumizing tonic. It's a spray that I use before blow drying.

watermelon­611346941953.697329 PostsRegistered 4/16/2010

A cook....thanks for passing on the info. from your hairdresser. I noticed that volumizing shampoos dried out my baby fine hair, but I never knew how or why it happened. I will have to avoid them. They were okay for me when I was younger and had very oily hair. My hair has changed now that I am aging. I found a drug store brand (Garnier Fructis) to work better and be less drying. As someone else mentioned, paying more is not always the answer.

UMTerpFan1347104706.0131695 PostsRegistered 3/26/2010

I agree, most of them make my fine naturally curly hair feel like straw and take the curl out of my hair. I do love Living Proof's Full Thickening Mousse though. Can't be without.

Page 1 of 1