TSV(R) Preview
111 Members and 11666 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Why do our makeup/fashion colors change season to season??

Started 1346779792.717 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1347305305.43 by Brabls

Hi Beauties .. :-)

I feel like I only really look good in light, pastel sort of colors, both in makeup and fashion.

I'm ready to give up the insufferable, sweltering temperatures, but I'm clinging to my Spring/Summer colors, both in makeup and clothes! Short of moving to Florida, why does it seem like the norm is darker colors in Autumn/Winter?? TIA.

♥†♥ “Sticks alone can be broken by a child. but sticks in a bundle are unbreakable.” ♥†♥

Page 1 of 1
Kathleen1346779910.82312888 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down

My makeup doesn't change from season to season.

Mirage081346781975.832864 PostsRegistered 1/16/2009

I don't really follow makeup "rules" so I wear whatever lol! My birthday was in July and I randomly wore navy smokey look on my eyes. I wore a red lip quite a few times during the day over the summer. I prefer medium to deeper shades on my nails year round. So yea{#emotions_dlg.lol} Clothes wise I don't wear that many bright colors. I do wear more orange in the fall and winter.

Good4u1346783103.453184 PostsRegistered 1/12/2008USA - Midwest

I'll put it to you this way...don't you think you would like really strange in hot pink lipstick and lilac eyeshadow if you wore it around Thanksgiving? Our clothes reflect the season so then should our skincare and makeup as well. Enough said.

Last edited on 9/4/2012

Beauty is ALWAYS before age...(Dorthy Parker misquoted intentionally)
Light-golden warm skin tone (dry side), olive-green eyes, medium brunette: Dominant Color season - Warm Autumn.

Icegoddess1346783387.8731638 PostsRegistered 3/19/2010

I like darker colors, so I usually incorporate them in my wardrobe year-round. I don't change my makeup, but I don't wear hot pink lipstick or lilac eyeshadow anyway. They did a segment on The Today Show yesterday on incorporating summer fashions in your fall wardrobe, but it really fell flat with me. But that was more because I didn't like the summer fashions they were starting with in the first place. No way would you catch me out in a pair of bright electric yellow pants even in the summer, much less try to make it work into the fall.

chrystaltr­ee1346783883.35712169 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010

Okay, I think I'm confused. Yes, the fashion and makeup industries have an "it" color every season. I should say an "it" spectrum of colors every season. But, we all know they do that to make us buy stuff. Your colors don't have to change ffrom season to season. Mind don't. They can push whatever color makes them happy, I don't buy into unless it works for me. I'm seeing all those deep plumb and rich wines colors for winter makeup. I like looking at them but I don't wear them. I change my makeup look every couple of years but certainly not season to season.

chrystaltr­ee1346784172.93312169 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010
On 9/4/2012 Good4u said:

I'll put it to you this way...don't you think you would like really strange in hot pink lipstick and lilac eyeshadow if you wore it around Thanksgiving? Our clothes reflect the season so then should our skincare and makeup as well. Enough said.

Ahhh....no. I don't. I do think lilac eyeshadow looks strange anytime of the year unless you happen to be gracing the cover of a fashion magazine. But lipstick is lipstick. Season is irrelevant to the color. Personally, I wear a lot of black on black in the winter and I intentionally go with a brigher lip color and brighter nails to avoid the Morticia Adams look. Hot fushia lip color with a black turleneck and black jeans. Oh, yeah. That works.

cassiem1346784399.8976799 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

$$$$$ - this way we have to buy more to change with the seasons

That said, I don't change colors with the seasons, I wear the colors I want all year round. And yes, that can mean pastels at Thanksgiving!

Harpa1346784992.0237543 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

I also think it is the industry touting this or that, hoping we buy into their seasonal things. I can see fabrics, certainly, but not necessarily colors. It's anyone's perrogative if they want to follow along.

ittyreen1346785106.7675 PostsRegistered 11/30/2005

It's a marketing ploy to keep us buying more.

itsMe1346785957.1133704 PostsRegistered 5/1/2008Sunny South Florida

I think you should wear what looks good on you and makes you feel good. We all have different coloring, and what looks good on one person can look ghastly on someone else. Therefore, I never worry about what the "in" color is. It might not work for me!

eta.... it is fun to experiment, and if you do that, you might find some new colors that you love!

Last edited on 9/4/2012

Last edited on 9/4/2012

ROMARY1346786384.56716150 PostsRegistered 4/28/2010

Many of us like "something different" season to season. I've been wearing lipsticks in oranges/corals mostly because I've been watching daily re-runs of "That Girl". Marlo wore those colors in almost every episode. And she wore quite a bit of orange accented styles, too. I have her same skin tone and my hair is medium/dark brown. Anyway, I'm liking orange-based lipsticks, for a change.

Yellow Rose

Sooner1346786859.70314807 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I think it has to do a lot with the angle of the sun and the length of the days. In autumn, the sun is in a different place in the sky and the direct bright light of summer softens. The brights and pale pastels and whites just don't look right now and the bright flowers are gone and the dark leaves of fall take place. To be more in tune with nature we change our colors. White pants would simply glare on a rainy October day with the leaves all around us.

I don't change my makeup colors really except I wear less bright lipstick in the winter and go to darker shades with more brown tint in them than the brighter clear pinks and corals of summer. Look around at mother nature and play off those colors. You can't go wrong with that.

KatCat11346787503.2216948 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

If anything changes it's my lipstick color and blush but that's it if I even change it. I guess the colors are warmer for the fall/winter seasons because of the temperature and the colors you see around you.

Mirage081346788228.7632864 PostsRegistered 1/16/2009
On 9/4/2012 itsMe said:

I think you should wear what looks good on you and makes you feel good. We all have different coloring, and what looks good on one person can look ghastly on someone else. Therefore, I never worry about what the "in" color is. It might not work for me!

eta.... it is fun to experiment, and if you do that, you might find some new colors that you love!

Last edited on 9/4/2012

Well said!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

chandeliers1346788956.0734357 PostsRegistered 3/5/2008

My fabrics change (to warmer and thicker), but I still wear light colors in the winter.

For this winter so far I have a gorgeous coral colored sweater done in a loose loopy crochet. Found a cute denim jacket in a soft buttercup yellow with a matching long sleeved jersey for underneath.

I have a light weight turtleneck in a turquoise blue with the tags still on it from last spring that I can't wait to wear.

I have always worn winter white and even white (jeans, sweaters/long sleeved tops) and even winter jackets.

I am very fair skinned and light haired so I never favored jewel toned or dark colors for makeup. A nude lip looks dark on me!

Imagination1346791554.233383 PostsRegistered 8/16/2012
On 9/4/2012 chrystaltree said:
On 9/4/2012 Good4u said:

Ahhh....no. I don't. I do think lilac eyeshadow looks strange anytime of the year unless you happen to be gracing the cover of a fashion magazine. But lipstick is lipstick. Season is irrelevant to the color. Personally, I wear a lot of black on black in the winter and I intentionally go with a brigher lip color and brighter nails to avoid the Morticia Adams look. Hot fushia lip color with a black turleneck and black jeans. Oh, yeah. That works.

Lilac shadow is beautiful. I don't know how anyone could think that a light purple shadow would be "strange" and have the nerve to wear "bright fuscia" on her lips. It is just a matter of personal preference regarding ALL of this subject. Nobody can tell me that you can't wear something because of the season. Some people are just followers and feel they need to follow every "rule'' in the beauty industry.

Hawleywood­ Girl1346801610.353268 PostsRegistered 10/15/2010Northeast PA

To help us part with our money.

baby burns1346815326.448793 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007

look at it like this, the leaves turn in autum, so our clothes and makeup change too, i do not change all my lispsticks but ad some reds, and finger nails, i wear the dark colors, i love the dark colors. so its the change of season that creates the change in clothes, we wear warmer coats and jackets, and usually buy a darker color. so if you look at it this way, no one is forcing you to do anything, its nature that is doing the change. if you want to wear shorts all winter, that is your business, colors always change with the season. look how we all look forward to the spring colors, because the sky and weather and tree's are changing also. i hope this makes sense to you MAKEMAVEN.

Desertdi1346894625.1415810 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun

I never change colors

Make up M­aiden1347304710.68788 PostsRegistered 8/29/2012

Hi Beauties . :) Thank y'all for this feedback. I'm feeling more re-assured about sticking with the colors that work for me. :-)

♥†♥ “Sticks alone can be broken by a child. but sticks in a bundle are unbreakable.” ♥†♥

Brabls1347305305.4214740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

I don't chamge mine.

I use a taupe/ brown color pallette for my eyes. (Clinique Teddy Bear) and just work from the darker end on the winer, lighter end in the summer.

I have a perfect, natural shade of blush I use year round.

I have 2 lighter shades of lipstick for summer, two for winter.

I only wear my best colors, so I am not a slave to cosmetics industry. Yhy would I want to wear less than my best colors?

Ditto fr colors. My neutrals are grey (a light and a dark tone), kacki/tan, and whte.

Makes it simple & affordable.

Page 1 of 1