Christmas in July(R) Sale
141 Members and 13884 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

need tips on growing out nails after acrylics

Started 1262126921 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1262149437 by sign in
Anyone have any tips on how to grow out the damaged part of my nails from having acrylics? The acrylic itself is gone, but the nail under is so thin and snags on everything. Anyone go through this - and if yes - how did you survive utnil the damage was grown out?

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 1
depglass126212700423458 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006
You will be miserable until you get new nail growth. But if you have problem nails to start with, the answer is in your title: TIPS from QVC. Great stuff.

auntgoo1262127252980 PostsRegistered 2/4/2008The Main Line, PA
Hope you have Patience! Maybe you could gently file the tops of your nails to smooth them out and then never put acrylics on again. Try usiing some clear polish first and then some color if you want. I only wore the acrylic tips for less the two weeks and my nails took a very long time to come back again, BUT, they did come back. That was about 14 years ago and I'll never do that again!

alexinflor­ida12621274614280 PostsRegistered 12/16/2009
I had my acrylics taken off more than 10 years ago and never looked back. I found ProStrong products at the Q (mainly the strengthener which I don't recall the name of) to work best for me. It took a good 6 wks to see results, but ever since then, I get compliments all the time on my natural nails! I haven't tried TIPS but I'll bet you get some good input on tips lovers, too. Hope that helps.

Shelbelle126212807434004 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Duri Rejuvacote guaranteed to repair acrylic damage.

Kimberly32712621287471677 PostsRegistered 12/12/2008
I wouldn't file the snags, but regular buffing seems to have helped mine and also theoretically stimulated them. I started taking Biotin (capsules, 5000 mcg/day). I had gels, acrylics, solar nails, every permutation known to man since I first got "fake" nails when I won a major bet in the 1985 Super Bowl. Good luck! There is life after acrylics.

manicshopp­er12621298062818 PostsRegistered 10/21/2009Never Never Land
Thanks everyone! I knew I would get good quick responses here!
I have had acrylics since the mid 80's when I was 16. My natural nails were never great so it didn't bother me that my natural nail was damaged. and the style then was long. The style now - short is OK!!! even with dark colors - so I took the plunge and stopped getting rebases.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Duck Lover126213042159 PostsRegistered 6/13/2009
OPI Nail Envy. It comes is original shine and matte. I was told to use all kinds of different stuff. Only thing I tried. My nails were very thin after acrylics were removed and they hurt. Nail Envy helped to seal them and made them stronger almost immediately and have been using it ever since. My nails are now healthy and grow so fast with this. It cost $16.95 a bottle and is the same size as OPI's nail polish and you can buy it at Trade Secret or Ulta or almost any salon or nail studio. Last's a long time too. Highly recommend it.

aprildreams12621308401338 PostsRegistered 5/2/2007
I took my acrylics off about 5 or 6 years ago after many years of wearing them. I now keep my nails short and wear a really dark blackberry color (think Holly from Smashbox). I get compliments all the time now on my hands.

sign in12621315062273 PostsRegistered 8/15/2008
Argan oil massaged into nails and cuticles daily. Polish with clear polish (helps keep snags /hang nails to a minimum) I polish everyday but only remove it once a week, then I start over. Use a polish remover that isn't drying, I use Essie. HTH
Oh and buff the tops of nails with a fine grade buffing block.

Kimberly32712621315751677 PostsRegistered 12/12/2008
> I took my acrylics off about 5 or 6 years ago after
> many years of wearing them. I now keep my nails
> short and wear a really dark blackberry color (think
> Holly from Smashbox). I get compliments all the time
> now on my hands.
Patti (natural nails, I think) and LaLisa (she really should get fills when she's showing jewelry, close ups of her nails are not her friends) are arguing in the background about how Holly told them natural nails were :it".

iachick12621321723098 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008
Biotin supplements can help strengthen your nails. Also, wear something like the Perfect Formula Nail Strengthener and apply oil daily to keep them moist. It will take months to get them back to "normal."

Lotus~126213236035337 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY
T.I.P.S. is on right now with Jill.
--
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.Dream. Discover"
~Mark Twain~

"After me....you come first."~unknown~
My sweet girl Ashley crossed over The Rainbow Bridge, Wed., 5/22/13. Miss you madly sweet girl. <3
RIP Jack <3 , my "Old Man" 7/31/13 Be nice to Ashley.

sign in12621325002273 PostsRegistered 8/15/2008
> T.I.P.S. is on right now with Jill.
>
Perfect timing! Although I've never used this product so I can not comment on whether or not it works. No ingredients listed (come on QVC get with the program!) does anyone know what they are? TIA
--
Edited by sign in at 12/29/2009 3:23 PM PST

Last edited on 12/29/2009

alexinflor­ida12621327074280 PostsRegistered 12/16/2009
> OPI Nail Envy. It comes is original shine and matte.
> I was told to use all kinds of different stuff.
> . Only thing I tried. My nails were very thin after
> acrylics were removed and they hurt. Nail Envy
> helped to seal them and made them stronger almost
> immediately and have been using it ever since. My
> nails are now healthy and grow so fast with this. It
> cost $16.95 a bottle and is the same size as OPI's
> nail polish and you can buy it at Trade Secret or
> Ulta or almost any salon or nail studio. Last's a
> long time too. Highly recommend it.
I use Nail Envy by OPI for maintenance in between manicures; I agree it's a great product.

lulu2126213529020766 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007
When I took mine off, my girl recommended Barielle products. I later switched to Nail Envy. I also began taking Biotin on a daily basis. Truthfully I do not believe you need to spend a lot of money to get your nails back in shape. Sally Hansen has a number of products that have received great reviews here. The most important thing is to keep your nails moisturized. You need to coat them with a protein product to keep them from snagging on things. I think you need more than just clear nail polish. Good luck.

manicshopp­er12621357342818 PostsRegistered 10/21/2009Never Never Land
> T.I.P.S. is on right now with Jill.
&
OMG I can't believe I missed this presentation! I was at the vet with my dog for her "check up"....figures

- Eleanor Roosevelt

59happy126213860354 PostsRegistered 1/7/2007Ohio
I also vote for Nail Envy by OPI. After I took my fake nails off they would hurt so bad from being thin. I started right away using nail envy and boy what a difference!!! It didn't take long at all for my nails to toughen up and get back to normal. I love that stuff!!!!!

manicshopp­er12621388912818 PostsRegistered 10/21/2009Never Never Land
thanks to all you lovely ladies for the advise. Here is my plan:
~Argan oil - will use that since I already have it for my hair.
~Biotin - since I already have that too but have not been taking!
~OPI Nail Envy - since I can get that right away and use my Ulta coupon.
~Will consider the Rejuvicote - just wish I could find it locally.
~TIPS - wish they would list the ingredients - I don't want to order since it is expensive and likely could be nothing more than the argan oil that I have or something similar. Sorry Q - loosing a sale on that one for not listing ingredients!

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Denise in ­PA1262141884317 PostsRegistered 8/16/2008PA
Keeping your nails hydrated is key! Drink lots of water and use something to keep moisture on/in your nails. If you have shea products, try them. Any oils would also help - just rub the oil into your nail and cuticle. I know people who use olive oil! Jojoba oil or coconut oil would work.
I had my acrylics removed a year ago and my nails are doing great. I keep them short now (previously I had very long natural nails) so I know you can do this!
Buffing will also help restore your nail bed.
HTH
--
56, WEN girl, PSS, Laura Gellar, BE, love to read.

60, WEN girl, Laura Gellar, love to read.

Mypetunia1262142836345 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004
Pink Gel~ I get it from QVC~ it has a pink hue just like a natural nail~it's the strangest thing how it looks as if you have a french maicure~ and it makes your nails strong and grow out healthy!
Love this stuff:-D

sign in12621494372273 PostsRegistered 8/15/2008
While I was out today I picked up OPI nail envy (original) I have no idea if it's the matte or shiny version, the package doesn't state. It was a little expensive 17.95. It came with a hand and nail cream though so I don't know if it makes a difference. I was almost out of the perfect formula and since I can't get it locally I decided to give this a try. Fingers crossed that it works.
ETA: After applying 2 coats per directions my nails are super shiny so this is definitely not the matte formula, lol.
--
Edited by sign in at 12/29/2009 8:13 PM PST

Last edited on 12/29/2009

Page 1 of 1