TSV(R) Preview
34 Members and 14195 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Favorite Beauty Magazines for Women Over 50

Started 1345607456.257 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1345740446.2 by LuvsLabs

Im 54 years old. Last week I was sitting in the salon waiting for my color to process. I thumbed through a People magazine and then looked around and could only find a Glamour magazine. So, I started to read it and while I enjoyed many of the ads, I realized how "young" the magazine seemed. I used to devour Glamour in my 20's and 30's!

What beauty magazines out there are inclusive of the over 50 woman? Do you have any favorites? I'm looking for some suggestions. A beauty magazine and a cup of good coffee have always been a "fluffy" treat for me.

Page 1 of 2
SouthwestG­al1345609453.95199 PostsRegistered 9/4/2006ABQ, NM
I am liking More magazine, for us gals over 50. And I still enjoy Self as well.

ennui1345610370.72319957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007

Do women in their 50s really worry about beauty and s- e- x?

"From birth to age eighteen, a girl needs good parents. From eighteen to thirty-five she needs good looks. From thirty-five to fifty-five, she needs a good personality. From fifty-five on, she needs good cash." ~ Sophie Tucker

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~ Robert Brault

Rainbows a­nd Roses1345611269.66318263 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011

I don't know of any and I used to purchased More but I did not see enough good information several years ago.

"Crying is for plain women, Pretty women go shopping." Oscar Wilde

"The most beautiful makeup of a woman is passion but cosmetics are easier to buy." YSL

Desertdi1345611566.8114714 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun

I recently cancelled both Vogue and Lucky. I used to share them with the "girls" at work....but since I retired, they just piled up around here.

SAgal1345616314.281971 PostsRegistered 8/25/2007
Allure seems to have more beauty than anyone else. I also enjoy New Beauty magazine that comes with the Test Tubes - you can buy it separately.

Nature is the art of God.

BeckiWV1345618476.452490 PostsRegistered 4/12/2011

I'm 57. I still like Allure and get it every month. Though it may be a skewed a bit more toward younger women, it seems to me to be overall geared toward all women, and often has articles for and about mature women. It has a lot of good skin care and makeup tips for everyone I feel.

I used to get More, but honestly I found it boring. It just doesn't have enough beauty content to keep me interested.

I like People Stylewatch a lot. I like seeing all the new fashions and trends. I might not be able to wear them like the 20 year old runway models, but I can get a lot of ideas that be adapted. Self is a good fitness magazine geared toward all ages. I used to like Shape but now I like Self much better.

I do pick up New Beauty now and again but not every issue. It's a pretty good magzine. It is $10 an issue, but the reason I don't often get it is if you buy all the time, at least to me, the articles all start sounding the same. There's only so many ways to describe botox, fillers, plastic surgeries and veneers in every issue. It oftens seems like a big advertisement for the skin care items featured and certainly in the doctors and dentists sections. But I do pick it up occasionally to see if anything really new is on the horizon, which usually there is not (except the latest, most wonderful laser....which usually really isn't).

I used to just "have to have" these magazines every month but no longer enjoy them: Cosmopolitan (like New Beauty, for me every issue is the same), Glamour, Elle, and Marie Claire. I think these are geared toward much younger women. I am retired and my kids are grown, so I don't really relate to articles about pregancy, raising children, working, etc. I'd rather curl up with OK or Star, LOL.

As to do women over 50 really worry about beauty and s-e-x, well....I don't know about others, but I'm sure going to anyway, LOLOLOLOL. :)

Last edited on 8/22/2012

Last edited on 8/22/2012

TY1345624506.293799 PostsRegistered 3/22/2007
I like InStyle magazine.

qualitygal1345632975.7573923 PostsRegistered 11/9/2007Beautiful state of MI

None. I just did a thread awhile on the same thing. I felt the same way. So now, I just read more books at the library.

carrob1345633126.8531801 PostsRegistered 10/6/2010 FL
On 8/21/2012 ennui said:

"From birth to age eighteen, a girl needs good parents. From eighteen to thirty-five she needs good looks. From thirty-five to fifty-five, she needs a good personality. From fifty-five on, she needs good cash." ~ Sophie Tucker

Love this!

Mary Bailey1345633252.876792 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I didn't like More. I like the beauty and health articles in Redbook & Good Housekeeping. Good Housekeeping has a book out now "7 Years Younger". here's free report download

Last edited on 8/22/2012

Last edited on 8/22/2012

Never deprive someone of hope - it may be all they have. ~Author Unknown
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. ~George Weinberg

jackthebear1345634091.1034904 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 8/21/2012 Quinny said:

Im 54 years old. Last week I was sitting in the salon waiting for my color to process. I thumbed through a People magazine and then looked around and could only find a Glamour magazine. So, I started to read it and while I enjoyed many of the ads, I realized how "young" the magazine seemed. I used to devour Glamour in my 20's and 30's!

What beauty magazines out there are inclusive of the over 50 woman? Do you have any favorites? I'm looking for some suggestions. A beauty magazine and a cup of good coffee have always been a "fluffy" treat for me.

Glamour was always for the young woman, I bought the September issue, I buy the September issues of all of them. I hope my coffee table can hold up. I bet the postman is glad they are all delivered now.

Try Allure if you want one strictly for beauty.

guatmum1345635454.7572701 PostsRegistered 10/24/2008
On 8/21/2012 ennui said:

LOL! Anyone who believes that quote is either VERY young or VERY sad. Good parents for 0-18? Yes. Good looks 18-35? Only if you're looking for a really superficial man that will divorce you for someone younger later on OR you're going into the adult entertainment industry. Good personality 35-55? Honey, if you haven't developed a good personality before then, you're lost - and men and employers still prefer someone who has taken care of themselves. Good cash 55 and over? Only enough to be independent whether you are married or not. Money doesn't buy happiness but it does buy choices. But beauty and s*x are for every age, at least if you're lucky. My 87-year-old neighbor lost his wife years ago and is now dating his second girlfriend since being widowed. She's about 78 and is the cutest thing! I guarantee you they're "having fun" on a regular basis! Wink

Regarding magazines, I find most to be boring. I don't get any on a regular basis, especially beauty mags. I guess, at my age (early 50s), I've read so much about beauty that there really doesn't seem to be anything new for them to tell me. And I don't like paying $5.00+ for a bunch of advertising. I look at the covers in the grocery store and, if something hits me, I'll buy that month's edition. Otherwise, I don't read them.

"Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

buyornot1345637242.2772581 PostsRegistered 7/7/2008

I just turned 60(yikes!) and I am a magazine freak and always have been. I have limited myself lately. I like Oprah, Real Simple and Rachel Ray. They all have a lot of info and take a while to read.

I'm sorry-just noticed the word "beauty".

Last edited on 8/22/2012

Last edited on 8/22/2012

Last edited on 8/22/2012

sahmIam1345637580.407922 PostsRegistered 9/25/2005

None. But I don't find any "beauty" magazine interesting... it's all the same junk. At some point, you have (hopefully) learned what makes you look fantastic. Everything else is unnessary. I don't care what the "experts" say, if something doesn't look great on my and make me look amazing, I am not going to buy it/use it/wear it. There is plenty of free info on the web, on TV to not buy magazines; esp. since they recycle their topics.

Money well spent on other stuff, lol.

BigBro61345637852.5632542 PostsRegistered 11/15/2007Lafayette New Jersey

I just cancelled my last script with Self. I am looking online now. All of the fashions are looking a little too much even though I love fashion ...also the eyeliners were drawn like a circus show.

moonstone ­dunes1345646046.0671821 PostsRegistered 11/6/2011

Excellent review, Becki - post#6 !

I used to enjoy Cosmo, Glamour, Elle. So much flooff now! I have a Glamour from 1979 (my Mom saves everything) The fashions and make-up shown were beautiful and classy. The content was written for real working women and wasn't so youth-centric as today.

InStyle is sooo repetitive. I have issues from 2000-2001, a lot of product placement. I do like Stylewatch.

I tried, but MORE is difficult to read, the typeface is so small. Not ideal for the "readers" set.

Vanity Fair is good, not so much for fashion, but for the interesting profiles and articles.

"Elegance is innate. It has nothing to do with being well dressed. Elegance is refusal" Diana Vreeland

"Crying is for plain women. Pretty Women go Shopping” Oscar Wilde

fireflygirl1345647046.223932 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007Midwest

ITA with all of you. Since turing fifty the beauty mags all seem skewed toward the very young. Vogue has become rather ridiculous. It's good if you want a laugh - some pretty strange things in there. I seem to recall the high style mags used to cater to all ages, not just the young and hip. Then again, maybe it's just me and I have matured beyond it - but I am still very much into makeup, skincare, etc.

When More first came out, it was skewed toward all older women, now seems like it's more for women in their forties. And I agree, none of the articles are interesting to me either!

I used to get all the beauty mags, Glamour, Vogue, Bazaar, InStyle, Elle, etc. Then I just bought the March and September issues, because they had all the new items. Now I just stick to Oprah, Good Housekeeping and mags related to my quilting.

I do get a British magazine called Woman & Home. It seems geered toward all aged mature women. I used to get it at Barnes & Noble, but you can only get it a month later than when it comes out. (example - they don't get the August edition until September) Now I get an e version and read it on my computer.

"Never trade what you want right now for what you really want."
JRR Tolkein

kimthib1345647667.9807 PostsRegistered 4/1/2006

I am a self-confessed magazine-aholic and read dozens! BUT my favorites are InStyle, Stylewatch, More, Lucky and Allure. I agree that, as of late, I'm beginning to think that Glamour is skewing a little bit young for me--may cancel that script. I like Vogue, Bazaar and Elle for the fashion, but I seriously dislike when they get too "editorial" in the fashion spreads--just show me the clothes!!! I also like about every other issue of Vanity Fair--really don't like it when they get too political.

Last edited on 8/22/2012

Last edited on 8/22/2012

profrobb1345650366.673515 PostsRegistered 9/10/2010Ohio

There used to be great magazine called Lears for mature women. It was publlished by a woman who used her divorce settlement money from Norman Lear (I think) to start it. Unfortunately, I've not seen it in years...guess it went by the way side.

ROMARY1345650819.74713269 PostsRegistered 4/28/2010
On 8/21/2012 Desertdi said:

I recently cancelled both Vogue and Lucky. I used to share them with the "girls" at work....but since I retired, they just piled up around here.

Too many advertisment pages in Lucky. Used to be filled with style articles and photos, etc. I'm always thumbing through in the supermarkets, just in case they decide to go back to their original thick and informative (style-wise) format.

Last edited on 8/22/2012

Last edited on 8/22/2012

Yellow Rose

Argyll1345651260.3871220 PostsRegistered 7/31/2011

Harper's Bazaar has wisely addressed this question; they have pages of fashion and makeup called Fabulous at Every Age and they go from the 20's to the 70's plus. Vogue is also getting a bit more for us grown-ups,too.

Sorry that Lear's and Mirabella are no longer published,too.

BeckiWV1345651437.362490 PostsRegistered 4/12/2011

I remember Lear's. I liked it a lot.

beach-mom1345651629.2778921 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Mid-Atlantic

I've been getting Allure since it started. I think it's a good beauty magazine for all ages. Smile

Quinny1345662287.12343 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 8/21/2012 ennui said:

I did not say I was "worried" about beauty.( I worry about things like global warning,etc.) I don't remember making a referral to s-e-x. I am however still interested in beauty and fashion trends. Most all "beauty" magazines include fashion as well. If you've lost interest in these things at 50 years old, I respect your opinion.

Last edited on 8/22/2012

Last edited on 8/22/2012

Quinny1345662521.652343 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 8/22/2012 Argyll said:

Harper's Bazaar has wisely addressed this question; they have pages of fashion and makeup called Fabulous at Every Age and they go from the 20's to the 70's plus. Vogue is also getting a bit more for us grown-ups,too.

Sorry that Lear's and Mirabella are no longer published,too.

I was also a fan of Mirabella. I've never heard of Lear's, wish I would have.

Page 1 of 2