Meant for Mom(SM)
97 Members and 9584 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

What can I use to make a vitamin c cream?

Started 1345486038.84 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1345587213.583 by fivekiddos

I would like to make my own vitamin c cream. Does anyone know what type of vitamin c powder or crystals I should use. Also where can i buy it. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Page 1 of 1
Imagination1345486215.727383 PostsRegistered 8/16/2012

I mentioned on a previous thread that you can buy the Camu Camu used in the new PTR products and make your own cream or serum. I would recommend a serum that you make at least weekly. You can buy a bag of the powder in bulk and just mix it up in very small batches to ensure efficacy and freshness. I'm not sure where my friend purchased the bag we split.

Forever Gr­ateful1345559527.607179 PostsRegistered 11/23/2011

Nessadale, There was a post about this some months ago. Somebody was kind enough to recommend a seller on ebay for the powder. I have not purchased it yet, but the seller is dualhealth. They have 100% positive feedback, the item I was going to order was L.Ascorbic Acid Vitamin C Powder, it is only $7.95 for 4oz with free S&H (they also had other sizes). Many many years ago I bought the Philosophy vitamin c powder and it only took a "very" small pinch of it to miix with a serum or cream. Good luck!

Last edited on 8/21/2012

JeanLouise­Finch1345560689.1578972 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011
On 8/21/2012 Forever Grateful said:

Nessadale, There was a post about this some months ago. Somebody was kind enough to recommend a seller on ebay for the powder. I have not purchased it yet, but the seller is dualhealth. They have 100% positive feedback, the item I was going to order was L.Ascorbic Acid Vitamin C Powder, it is only $7.95 for 4oz with free S&H (they also had other sizes). Many many years ago I bought the Philosophy vitamin c powder and it only took a "very" small pinch of it to miix with a serum or cream. Good luck!

That was me. Adding the cosmetic grade vitamin C powder to my current serum turned out to be a bust. I was mixing it freshly each day, applying it faithfully (even though it made my skin feel sticky), and after a month I didn't notice one bit of change so I stopped.

seehorse1345561968.2472043 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 8/21/2012 Just MeKP said:

That was me. Adding the cosmetic grade vitamin C powder to my current serum turned out to be a bust. I was mixing it freshly each day, applying it faithfully (even though it made my skin feel sticky), and after a month I didn't notice one bit of change so I stopped.

Just MeKP,

What are you currently using for Vit C?

Thanks!

kcubed1345562046.9031363 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I love the Philosophy Vitamin C powder. I mix it in with my moisturizer.

Cardamom1345562186.316281 PostsRegistered 6/24/2006

I just bought some vitamin c powder yesterday at the health food store. I mixed about 1/4 tsp. of powder to 1 tsp. bottled water. Applied it to my face with a make up brush and let it sit on about 30 min. I have heard vitamin E after a C treatment makes it more powerful. I didn't have that so I tried to put an E tablet on my face after cutting it open. It was a huge sticky mess so I will have to buy some kind of E serum. I can't tell yet if it worked but I am going to do it two times a week.

There are several youtube videos on making C masks and serums.

Last edited on 8/21/2012

Last edited on 8/21/2012

JeanLouise­Finch1345566643.1138972 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011
On 8/21/2012 seehorse said:

Just MeKP,

What are you currently using for Vit C?

Thanks!

Right now, the only thing I use that has Vitamin C in it is the WHINE serum from Philosophy (only Philosophy skincare item I'm sticking with). I also use a DMAE Jelly from Southern Magnolia Minerals that does all kinds of good things - repairs sun damage and discoloration, evens out the skintone, and helps as a booster to take my skincare treatments deeper. I am noticing a change in the freckles lightening.

The Camu Camu is interesting though, for the Vitamin C. Taken internally, it appears to provide lots of benefits other than just as a topical treatment. I just wonder, if at the high concentration if there is a possibility of overdosing.

Last edited on 8/21/2012

Last edited on 8/21/2012

Desertdi1345568847.77714760 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun

I've never seen any results from making my own potions. And C products are relatively inexpensive. I use Beyond Belief from Sally's........and a balm from Adrienne.

Forever Gr­ateful1345570344.053179 PostsRegistered 11/23/2011

Just MeKP, So glad to hear your response, I am glad I never got around to ordering the powder. I wonder what makes it so sticky. I don't remember the Philosophy C powder being sticky but then again it was so long ago I probably wouldn't remember (the mind can be a terrible thing LOL!)
Desertdi, I use to use Avalon but often wondered if there was enough C in there to do any good and the serum was not in a dark bottle. Is the Beyond Belief in a dark bottle? I would really like to start using Vitamin C again but without ordering online. Any suggestions from anybody would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Desertdi1345570714.6114760 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun

Just MeKP, So glad to hear your response, I am glad I never got around to ordering the powder. I wonder what makes it so sticky. I don't remember the Philosophy C powder being sticky but then again it was so long ago I probably wouldn't remember (the mind can be a terrible thing LOL!)
Desertdi, I use to use Avalon but often wondered if there was enough C in there to do any good and the serum was not in a dark bottle. Is the Beyond Belief in a dark bottle? I would really like to start using Vitamin C again but without ordering online. Any suggestions from anybody would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

I have tried the Avalon, but I found it too "heavy". The Beyond Belief is NOT in a dark bottle. I like it, but I'm far from being an expert.

fivekiddos1345587213.583594 PostsRegistered 4/3/2012

I found this website that sells camu camu.

http://livesuperfoods.com/camu-camu-powder.html

Page 1 of 1