Fashion & Accessories Clearance
112 Members and 15742 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

PMD versus NU BRILLIANCE Microderm machines. WHICH is BETTER?

Started 1343397028.087 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1344377650.877 by ambersmom

Hey there!

If you've seen my other question on this forum, you know that I am looking for effective microdermabrasion or exfoliation. A couple ladies recommended the PMD machine. I decided to post this question separately so I could get the comments of you ladies who have a PMD and/or NuBrilliance. Thanks!

I bought a Nu Brilliance quite a while back, but I gotta admit I don't use it much. I notice on sshopnbc that the lady who used to represent NuBrill now sells PMD. Are they similar, with suction and all that? The suction on the NuBrill doesnt work well for me around curvy places like the nose, which is probably where I want microderm the most!!

Why do you like your PMD? How do you use? Or, if you have a Nu Brilliance, how do you like yours?

Thank you, beauty buffs!

Rae

Page 1 of 1
Rochester ­Shopper1343400174.4874922 PostsRegistered 7/20/2011Michigan

I'm in my 50's, have normal skin. I use peel pads daily and Retin A, so I don't have a thick layer of dead skin.

Nu Brilliance - I LOVED it...while it worked. Nu Brilliance left my skin so silky soft, smooth, polished and it glowed. BUT, Nu Brilliance lost it's suction ability after 3 weeks. Sadly, I sent it back and will get it again when there is a re-design and reviews say it works reliably. Mine came with a smaller tip for the nose area.

PMD - If you have delicate skin, I would be wary about PMD. It exfoliates, but does not polish my skin. It has strong suction, is harsh and scratchy, and uncomfortable to do. My skin feels rougher after treatment then before, and my makeup does not go on well for a day or so. You can actually rub the skin off your face if you go over an area too much, or if you try to do more delicate areas. I had scabs from the first time I used it. It also does not have a small head to work on small areas. I used it weekly for 4 weeks and do not like it. I did not have any problem with PMD losing suction.

I wonder if PMD works better with younger people with thicker skin???

~Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle.~
~My Grandma's motto: Is it nice, is it true, would you like it said of you?~

Rae Ann1343405339.29170 PostsRegistered 11/24/2007

Thank you so much for your comments, Ms. Rochester Shopper! You have helped me quite a bit. From your neighbor in Sterling Heights!! :o)

Rae

ambersmom1343405866.6771897 PostsRegistered 5/15/2010Boston, MA
On 7/27/2012 Rochester Shopper said:

I'm in my 50's, have normal skin. I use peel pads daily and Retin A, so I don't have a thick layer of dead skin.

Nu Brilliance - I LOVED it...while it worked. Nu Brilliance left my skin so silky soft, smooth, polished and it glowed. BUT, Nu Brilliance lost it's suction ability after 3 weeks. Sadly, I sent it back and will get it again when there is a re-design and reviews say it works reliably. Mine came with a smaller tip for the nose area.

PMD - If you have delicate skin, I would be wary about PMD. It exfoliates, but does not polish my skin. It has strong suction, is harsh and scratchy, and uncomfortable to do. My skin feels rougher after treatment then before, and my makeup does not go on well for a day or so. You can actually rub the skin off your face if you go over an area too much, or if you try to do more delicate areas. I had scabs from the first time I used it. It also does not have a small head to work on small areas. I used it weekly for 4 weeks and do not like it. I did not have any problem with PMD losing suction.

I agree with RS............LOVED the NB, but mine as well cr*pped out on me but sooner than 3 weeks............the PMD sits in my closet......I have rhinocerous skin, but it scuffed top of my cheeks even with the blue (more gentle) tip.....

I am always wary of going after treatments that are too aggressive esp if you are older. More gentle, daily treatments seem to do the job if you stick with them. If you are younger, then perhaps you can, but for 50+ skin, think you need to be a bit more careful .
.......BTW, I use Retinols, C's and peptide preparations.

HTH.....Ambersmom..........HI RS!!!

ambersmom1343415980.6731897 PostsRegistered 5/15/2010Boston, MA
On 7/27/2012 ambersmom said:

I agree with RS............LOVED the NB, but mine as well cr*pped out on me but sooner than 3 weeks............the PMD sits in my closet......I have rhinocerous skin, but it scuffed top of my cheeks even with the blue (more gentle) tip.....

I am always wary of going after treatments that are too aggressive esp if you are older. More gentle, daily treatments seem to do the job if you stick with them. If you are younger, then perhaps you can, but for 50+ skin, think you need to be a bit more careful .

Hey RS..I am going to try an experiment.....I do not use mine on the face, but at 62, developed "baggy knees" and the dreaded upper arm nonsense, so am gonna try it on one side (one side for control) and see if there is a difference.

I used it just now with the green head and then used it with the HIGHER plastic thingie so the abrasive will not touch the skin/kick in, but the suction will to increase circulation to see if that too will help................will most likely report back in a sep thread as I do not want to "hijack" this one!...................

I know you are younger than I am, but thought if it helps me, it can be a preventive for you and give some validity to still having the stupid machine at all vs sitting in the closet!!!...........Ambersmom

Rochester ­Shopper1343422673.754922 PostsRegistered 7/20/2011Michigan

Hey RS..I am going to try an experiment.....I do not use mine on the face, but at 62, developed "baggy knees" and the dreaded upper arm nonsense, so am gonna try it on one side (one side for control) and see if there is a difference.

I used it just now with the green head and then used it with the HIGHER plastic thingie so the abrasive will not touch the skin/kick in, but the suction will to increase circulation to see if that too will help................will most likely report back in a sep thread as I do not want to "hijack" this one!...................

I know you are younger than I am, but thought if it helps me, it can be a preventive for you and give some validity to still having the stupid machine at all vs sitting in the closet!!!...........Ambersmom

I look forward to hearing about your results!

Rochester ­Shopper1343422729.3534922 PostsRegistered 7/20/2011Michigan
On 7/27/2012 Rae Ann said:

Thank you so much for your comments, Ms. Rochester Shopper! You have helped me quite a bit. From your neighbor in Sterling Heights!! :o)

Rae

My pleasure, neighbor! I am actually from Troy, and work in Rochester.

Rae Ann1343423276.393170 PostsRegistered 11/24/2007

Dear friends... RS, Ambersmom, etc...

Please don't feel you are "hijacking" this thread if you want to use it to report on your experience with your machine on your knee. I think that is a great suggestion, and a good experiment.

If you decide to start another thread, will you please come back here to say that you've started it? I don't come to the board every day, but I would love to know what your results are! Thanks and God bless!

ambersmom1343425306.4771897 PostsRegistered 5/15/2010Boston, MA

Dear friends... RS, Ambersmom, etc...

Please don't feel you are "hijacking" this thread if you want to use it to report on your experience with your machine on your knee. I think that is a great suggestion, and a good experiment.

If you decide to start another thread, will you please come back here to say that you've started it? I don't come to the board every day, but I would love to know what your results are! Thanks and God bless!

Sure thing, girl!.....I just always hate to see a thread start and then veer off due to one person's input that snowballs and then is off the original post......did not want to do that to you, but will def keep y'all posted!!................hey, if it can help baggy knees or arms, it is worth taking it out of hiding!!!

Take care and good luck with your search!!...........Ambersmom

Rae Ann1343427330.247170 PostsRegistered 11/24/2007

Amber's mom,

You are so thoughtful. If it is easier for you... by all means stay here! I am not sensitive like that. I am very thankful you stopped by and gave your thoughts and opinions, and I love to see where this goes. Take care, and good luck.

Rae

ambersmom1344372819.8531897 PostsRegistered 5/15/2010Boston, MA

Amber's mom,

You are so thoughtful. If it is easier for you... by all means stay here! I am not sensitive like that. I am very thankful you stopped by and gave your thoughts and opinions, and I love to see where this goes. Take care, and good luck.

Rae

Hi Rae...wanted to give an update............so far, I am seeing SOME improvement on the saggy knees...when you get older (I am 62, almost 63), you get the dreaded saggy knee skin and where I lost weight, it was more prevalent. ....like lines that stretch across the top/above the knee....really pretty{#emotions_dlg.w00t}.....I have only done it 3X total since we last posted, but I am seeing less on the right leg I am doing the PMD on..the arms are tough as it is a bit uncomfortable on the underarm (the batwing) but did it again today and will keep you posted.

I decided to give it another shot on the face today as well..........this time, instead of doing the "basketweave" approach that Kelli recommended (do a spot once horizontally , then vertically) I only did horizontally and it was not as "scuffing" on older skin. I do "feel" like I did something it is pinkish, but not like before and put on some olive oil after to soothe and keep the ph where it s/b................will let you know as time goes on, but I am encouraged ion the knees after a short amt of time........did you ever decide which way you would go??.......take care and best!!........ambersmom

EDIT..Oh, I only used the BLUE head which is the gentlest...........but I use the green on the saggy knees!

Last edited on 8/7/2012

Last edited on 8/7/2012

Rochester ­Shopper1344377389.634922 PostsRegistered 7/20/2011Michigan

Ambersmom, thanks for your update!

ambersmom1344377650.8731897 PostsRegistered 5/15/2010Boston, MA
On 8/7/2012 Rochester Shopper said:

Ambersmom, thanks for your update!

glad to be of help!.......everything heads south when you get older...the face, the earlobes, the knees, the B**bs, the b*U*T*T...........perhaps I can halt it a bit:)....but then again there is no tip big enough for the B*u*t*t!!!.........take care and good luck with your NuFace, girl....think you will likey!.......ambersmom

Page 1 of 1