Shoes & Handbags Offers
151 Members and 12290 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

How to deep condition hair with coconut oil

Started 1340785313.633 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1340923946.963 by curiousshopper

I recently bought some organic coconut oil to deep condition my hair. I was all ready to try it when I realized that I wasn't really sure how to go about doing it. Should you apply it to dry hair or wet? Would the oil do a better job if you use a clarifying shampoo first? How much should you put on and how difficult is it to remove? Thanks ahead of time for any advice on this.

Page 1 of 1
JeanLouise­Finch1340787411.5610651 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

When I do a WEN oil treatment, I do it on dry hair. I'll draw up a dropper full of oil and run the point of the dropper along my scalp, in all different directions, releasing the oil as I go around. I'll do that probably 3 times, maybe 4. Then I'll comb it all through before doing a very loose twist to my hair and piling it on my head. I'll wrap my head in a microfiber turban towel, making sure none of the hair moves and accidentally gets in the part that gets twisted. If I do this at night, I'll go to bed with the turbie towel on (yeah, my hubby loves that look, not to mention the smell...lol). If I am doing the treatment during the day, I'll leave the towel on for several hours. When I'm ready to wash it all out, I use a little WEN Cucumber CC for my first cleanse because my gut tells me I need something a little more clarifying to cut through the extra oil. I'll follow up with a second cleanse of any random mixture I choose. If you are using a shampoo, I'd probably use your normal kind, but add just a little bit of clarifying one with it. You don't want to have a harsh, clarifying shampoo to strip out all the good you've tried to accomplish with the oil treatment.

In the days following your treatment, you can probably add a few drops of coconut oil to your shampoo, too, to keep the benefits going long term. My daughter does that with WEN Tea Tree oil and her WEN CC. Don't overdo it - just a few drops in the palm of your hand and mix with your shampoo.

Last edited on 6/27/2012

Last edited on 6/27/2012

mistriTsqu­irrel1340787437.02710639 PostsRegistered 7/17/2010Purgatory, USA

I would like to know this as well...

Heartburn Can Cause Cancer -- www.ecan.org

kcladyz1340798679.9233866 PostsRegistered 4/30/2012

Of course someone had to mention WEN

mmk131340800847.47755 PostsRegistered 6/15/2012

Actually have had my doctors mention this to me bc my preference is organic when it comes to hair & body (as much as possible). I also heard this from one of the actual Doctors shows recently as well & no it wasnt Dr Oz. (& i believe its in my Grandmas Wisdom book of natural remedies but i digress lol). I was told to "Put it in a cup & barely warm it in micro, apply & massage into scalp, hair & skin & put a loose shower cap over head & let it sit on hair 5 mins before getting into the shower." NOW the show said almost the same thing. They just said "Apply & massage it into scalp, hair & dry areas of skin. Let sit 5-10 mins before getting into shower & washing hair like normal." (i just had surgery so i havent tried either yet but i thought id pass the info on & hope it helps. :). Id love to know how it goes if you could reply here on your results.

JeanLouise­Finch1340801191.51310651 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011
On 6/27/2012 kcladyz said:

Of course someone had to mention WEN

What's your problem, kcladyz? Do you really think people don't see you portraying yourself as a WEN lover or hater based on where the discussion thread is? It's hard to take someone who talks out of both sides of their mouth very seriously. Just because I use WEN and the OP uses shampoo doesn't make a difference in the oil treatment process. She asked how to do the process and I shared my experience. Not once did I demean her for using shampoo or suggest she use WEN. It's not my business what she uses to wash her hair.

Edit - grammar correction

Last edited on 6/27/2012

Last edited on 6/27/2012

KMBSAB1340801353.761397 PostsRegistered 3/13/2012
On 6/27/2012 Just MeKP said:

When I do a WEN oil treatment, I do it on dry hair. I'll draw up a dropper full of oil and run the point of the dropper along my scalp, in all different directions, releasing the oil as I go around. I'll do that probably 3 times, maybe 4. Then I'll comb it all through before doing a very loose twist to my hair and piling it on my head. I'll wrap my head in a microfiber turban towel, making sure none of the hair moves and accidentally gets in the part that gets twisted. If I do this at night, I'll go to bed with the turbie towel on (yeah, my hubby loves that look, not to mention the smell...lol). If I am doing the treatment during the day, I'll leave the towel on for several hours. When I'm ready to wash it all out, I use a little WEN Cucumber CC for my first cleanse because my gut tells me I need something a little more clarifying to cut through the extra oil. I'll follow up with a second cleanse of any random mixture I choose. If you are using a shampoo, I'd probably use your normal kind, but add just a little bit of clarifying one with it. You don't want to have a harsh, clarifying shampoo to strip out all the good you've tried to accomplish with the oil treatment.

In the days following your treatment, you can probably add a few drops of coconut oil to your shampoo, too, to keep the benefits going long term. My daughter does that with WEN Tea Tree oil and her WEN CC. Don't overdo it - just a few drops in the palm of your hand and mix with your shampoo.

Last edited on 6/27/2012

I do the same thing with my Wen oils. I will section off the top part of my hair and put a dropper full in my hand and rub it on the ends of my hair. Then I do the same with the ends of the top section hair. I love the way the oils make my hair feel after I wash it.

Good luck with you oil. Let us know how you like it.

KMBSAB1340801714.661397 PostsRegistered 3/13/2012
On 6/27/2012 Just MeKP said:
On 6/27/2012 kcladyz said:

Of course someone had to mention WEN

What's your problem, kcladyz? Do you really think people don't see you portraying yourself as a WEN lover or hater based on where the discussion thread is? It's hard to take someone who talks out of both sides of their mouth very seriously. Just because I use WEN and the OP uses shampoo doesn't make a difference in the oil treatment process. She asked how to do the process and I shared my experience. Not once did I demean her for using shampoo or suggest she use WEN. It's not my business what she uses to wash her hair.

Edit - grammar correction

Last edited on 6/27/2012

ITA!!

Mirage081340802388.3232845 PostsRegistered 1/16/2009

Just did a quick google search and found this link:

http://www.healthy-oil-planet.com/coconut-oil-for-hair.html

I think I may give this a go!{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Harpa1340807267.857515 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

I am convinced coconut oil extends my root color! Once when I was using CO just about every day, I went 13 weeks w/o having to do my roots. I'm using it now maybe every 2 or 3 days. It almost reverses those gray roots! It's been 8 weeks, and I still do not have to color!

I emulsify a little (like a quarter size) and use it on dry hair at night, but really work it in where my roots show, and then just smooth any excess over the rest of my hair (shoulder length). I've also been trying hard to S&C my hair every other day, and I'm sure this helps extend color, too.

RJL-DLL 751340809015.411031 PostsRegistered 1/12/2008
On 6/27/2012 kcladyz said:

Of course someone had to mention WEN

And of course you had to add your nasty comment!!! So what if someone mentions how they use Wen???

autumnfaire1340809175.534912 PostsRegistered 8/1/2005

I saturate my dry hair with coconut oil, then wait 5-10 minutes and shampoo twice. Very good for my dry, curly hair. I can't use it on my face, I get a reaction.

HappyDaze1340809985.4115757 PostsRegistered 6/13/2012

I apply it to dry hair and leave it on overnight or as long as I can. I have not tried washing it out with my WEN yet so I don't know how that will work but normally I would just do shampoo it out the next morning. I hope WEN will be able to get it all out so I don't have to use shampoo.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...but becomes something entirely different when someone STEALS your ideas and claims the credit for themselves.

“Only those with no memory insist on their originality.” -Coco Chanel

Ms Virgo1340811244.871419 PostsRegistered 7/5/2011

Coconut Oil can prevent hygral fatigue damage

Hygral fatigue - Damage due to swelling and contraction of the hair during the uptake and loss of water. Swelling and de-swelling of hair is one of the causes of hair damage.

Cure - Coconut oil can be used as a pre-wash treatment to prevent the hair shaft from swelling. This in turn may help the cuticle from being raised. Remember that the swelling of the hair shaft can damage the hair cuticle and cortex which can eventually weaken hair.

The swelling of the hair shaft is limited by the presence of oil. The natural process of swelling and de-swelling of the hair shaft is one of the main causes of hair damage.

Coconut oil has a high affinity for the proteins in the hair, meaning it's great for preventing protein loss (cuticle chipping, damaging/abrasion due to washing and wet combing). Once you apply it to your hair, it prevents the constant swelling and shrinking which means less stress on the hair shaft.


Once a week apply warmed unrefined coconut oil to dry hair & scalp, work through from roots to ends
- Put on a shower cap or saran wrap hair and sit under dryer for 20 - 30 minutes or let sit overnight
- Rinse out coconut oil and shampoo twice, follow with your usual conditioner, then proceed with styling

- Deep condition with coconut oil once a week
OR
- Deep condition with coconut oil once a week
- Seal ends with coconut oil daily


Benefits from deep conditioning with coconut oil so far are:

- hair is alot stronger
- hair is much shiner
- hair looks & feels alot healthier
- less breakage & split ends
- less shedding
- more length retention
- having to use less products, such as protein treatments & commerical deep conditioners

depglass1340813178.5523723 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

I can feel my hair swelling and contracting as I type. Yet another thing to worry about.

TunedIn1340819229.527180 PostsRegistered 5/26/2012
On 6/27/2012 Ms Virgo said:

Coconut Oil can prevent hygral fatigue damage

Hygral fatigue - Damage due to swelling and contraction of the hair during the uptake and loss of water. Swelling and de-swelling of hair is one of the causes of hair damage.

Cure - Coconut oil can be used as a pre-wash treatment to prevent the hair shaft from swelling. This in turn may help the cuticle from being raised. Remember that the swelling of the hair shaft can damage the hair cuticle and cortex which can eventually weaken hair.

The swelling of the hair shaft is limited by the presence of oil. The natural process of swelling and de-swelling of the hair shaft is one of the main causes of hair damage.

Coconut oil has a high affinity for the proteins in the hair, meaning it's great for preventing protein loss (cuticle chipping, damaging/abrasion due to washing and wet combing). Once you apply it to your hair, it prevents the constant swelling and shrinking which means less stress on the hair shaft.


Once a week apply warmed unrefined coconut oil to dry hair & scalp, work through from roots to ends
- Put on a shower cap or saran wrap hair and sit under dryer for 20 - 30 minutes or let sit overnight
- Rinse out coconut oil and shampoo twice, follow with your usual conditioner, then proceed with styling

- Deep condition with coconut oil once a week
OR
- Deep condition with coconut oil once a week
- Seal ends with coconut oil daily


Benefits from deep conditioning with coconut oil so far are:

- hair is alot stronger
- hair is much shiner
- hair looks & feels alot healthier
- less breakage & split ends
- less shedding
- more length retention
- having to use less products, such as protein treatments & commerical deep conditioners

This is accurate. Five minutes before the shower is doing nothing to help your hair. Or very little.

autumnfaire1340851920.5734912 PostsRegistered 8/1/2005

My hair looks much better after only 5-10 minutes of unheated coconut oil. Now that I know this, I will add it to my routine--thanks!

productlov­er1340857961.291553 PostsRegistered 6/8/2007CA

I tried doing this, but I had sooo much static in my hair after doing it (after I shampooed and blow dried). Anyone else have this happen?

AuntieA1340862923.8519 PostsRegistered 4/26/2012SF Bay Area
On 6/27/2012 depglass said:

I can feel my hair swelling and contracting as I type. Yet another thing to worry about.


LOL {#emotions_dlg.lol}

If we open our minds to enjoyment, we might find tranquil pleasures spread about us on every side. We might live with the angels that visit us on every sunbeam, and sit with the fairies who wait on every flower. ~ Samuel Smiles

Newma1340880717.38138 PostsRegistered 6/10/2012
On 6/27/2012 kcladyz said:

Of course someone had to mention WEN

Seriously, some people need to relax. Yes, WEN was mentioned because it's relevant to the topic (unlike your response). Deep conditioning with coconut oil can be the same process as deep conditioning, sealing ends, treating or prepooing the hair with a WEN oil or any oil essential oil. I use a mixture of coconut oil and Jamaican black castor oil and sometimes add a little of that mixture to my deep conditioner (the same can be done with the WEN oils!). The result is very soft hair. My hair is relaxed and can oftentimes be dry.Last edited on 6/28/2012

Last edited on 6/28/2012

Islandgirl­70321340886081.33312846 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007Savannah, GA

I actually wondered why the Wen response when the OP was specifically asking out coconut oil conditioning too.

Then reading a later response assuming the method for Wen oil conditioning would work the same using coconut oil for conditioning, it made more sense.




curioussho­pper1340923946.907260 PostsRegistered 12/22/2010

Thanks everyone for your responses. I wasn't able to check in until today due to doctor visits for my upcoming surgery. I am really wanting to try out my coconut oil, but I think I'm going to have to wait for about a month (until I've recovered from the procedures on my eye). Can't wait to try it, just hope it doesn't cause static like Productlover experienced. (I have enough static now!). I also like the idea of using it with castor oil, as Newma mentioned. I've read other postings about combining the two oils and getting good results. Here's to healthy, shiny hair for all of us!

Page 1 of 1