TSV(R) Preview
13 Members and 12548 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Dyed my hair at home and I messed up

Started 1339437057.537 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1339494997.47 by ladyd733

In an attempt to cover my gray roots my dark brown hair is jet black. The worse part you can still see some gray. How do you fix this or should I give up and go to a salon?

Page 1 of 2
caligrl1339437245.2879049 PostsRegistered 7/17/2008

What color did you use? Hair color always turns out darker than the shade on the box. I have been coloring my hair at home for over 30 years. I suggest for starters. wash your hair a LOT, scalp mainly. They make a color remover at Sallys supply, maybe go there and ask for help? or RUN to your hair salon! Good Luck O/P

I have been there, I know how you feel!

molisa1339437248.5671194 PostsRegistered 8/25/2010Missouri

I would go to a salon. If you have friends or family who get their hair colored at a salon and you like it ask who does it. Otherwise, I would call a local salon with a good reputation and tell them you need a color correction for at-home coloring. Be prepared to spend several hours there and good luck!Smile

star8261339437544.1712389 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Coastal Ripkaland bordering Bixbyville and Dawkinstown

oh trixie~ Though I can't offer any help as I've never been brave enough to do this at home, I feel for you!

If you have a salon nearby go and have them fix it... don't try anything else yourself as you could make it even darker. Or GREEN! Wink

You want it fixed and the sooner the better. Call a salon and explain what happened and let them tell you if you have to wait a day or two or if you can have the black lightened up now.

It will all work out... Just wear a hat if you really don't like it until you can get it the way you want it.

***Black hair is striking... Look at Barbara Bixby, she looks mysterious with her jet black hair***

Good luck and please post when you have it exactly the way you want it.

P.S.~ What at home product did you use? Curious as I have many telling me to just try an at home product but just can't bring myself to do it and make a mess or mess my hair color up...

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know PEACE" ~ Jimi Hendrix

A helpful decision maker: Ask yourself, "What would Cher do?"

Kitlynn1339438206.8172472 PostsRegistered 1/4/2008Colorado

Dark hair is the hardest color to match and grey hair that once was dark will always get blacker and it will look flat. You should go to a salon and let them do it for you for a really nice look. Yes it cost but it is so worth us. If you don't like your hair then you just don't feel good about yourself. LOL I am naturally so dark my color is blue black but I have light eyebrows so the older I have gotten the blonder I have gotten!! I haven't seen dark hair in twenty years.

You get one go round in this old world and you better make the most of it. It is not a dress rehearsal! Step out of your box and enjoy all that life has to offer!

vermint1339438628.191429 PostsRegistered 9/5/2007Southeast USA

I don't know if it will help for this time...but I always choose a medium brown for my dark brown hair. Turns out really well!

ladyd7331339439366.4696 PostsRegistered 3/27/2012

If you they tell you that you need to wait go to a Sally's beauty supply and find a product called Fanci Ful http://www.sallybeauty.com/color-rinse/ROUX1,default,pd.html. This will cover up the gray until you can get it back to the color you want. It will wash out each time you wash your hair. They also have hair color markers that will just cover small areas. I find that color marker product to be a little drying at times, but the fanci full always helps me hold out until my next root color.

Shelbelle1339439461.34734719 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

To lighten it up, this will work. Lather a dandruff shampoo or a clarifying shampoo on DRY hair, leave on at least 30 minutes before rinsing. Repeat as often as needed.

JeanLouise­Finch1339440240.0511048 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

Get yourself to the salon and let them fix it. They will do a process called a soapcap to lighten it up and then deposit the right color mixture for you.

moonstone ­dunes1339440329.2372284 PostsRegistered 11/6/2011

I wouldn't suggest Fanci-Ful. It's ok in a pinch for roots right by the hairline, but it's not water-resistant at all...water or moisture will cause color to run all over your face. Don't go out in the rain with it on!

Color OOPs products will remove all color product from your hair but NOT restore you natural color.

If you used a semi-permanent color, wash consisenntly with sulfate-type shampoo as post# 7 suggests. The color will fade faster.

Permanent color, I would have a professional fix it.

"Sursum Corda"

jasbel1339441010.6632423 PostsRegistered 10/21/2008

If you don't like the results and want to fix it, go to a professional. My hairdresser is really good colorist and could specialize in it. She said that corrective color is the most expensive process she does. I have seen a few people come in w/seriously messed up hair getting quotes. This girl walked in and was quoted $200, walked out, and came back the next day. My hairdresser also said that people have come in after going to other colorists trying to 'fix' mistakes and they made it worse.

knmt1339441199.673727 PostsRegistered 7/13/2010Chicago suburbs

My hair got way too dark when I switched hair color brands. I used J&J baby shampoo and vitamin c crystals (powder). I left it on and kept checking the shade in the mirror until it went to a lighter shade. It didn't take long. I then washed it out. I worked for me.

little mis­s sunshine1339444165.8672448 PostsRegistered 10/13/2006

Admit you're no professional and head to the salon. How long does it take for us to realize we can't do everything! That's why they go to school and learn about the chemicals in hair products and what they do. They learn how to select and mix them to get the desired results. I don't care how much you try at home, you just never get that "professional" look. Your hair is important and you can really mess it up.

PurpleCow1339446961.173679 PostsRegistered 8/15/2009colorado, baby!!

if you want a quick fix to remove the color: Color Oops! will do it, you can find it at Walgreens, Sally's, and maybe even Walmart. But it will make your hair a little orangish so be ready with a box of brown hair dye to use afterwards. And super condition after that to help avoid damage.

with boxed hair dye you need to use one at least a shade lighter than you want because box dyes tend to pull darker than expected

Clairol makes good dyes for covering gray hair, and they have root touch-up kits so you don't have to dye your whole head every time

ヽ༼ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ༽ノ

cupcake131339447321.381898 PostsRegistered 10/11/2010Kentucky

My very first hair color experience was just like yours. Not to cover gray though, I was in my early 20's so it was just for fun. I tried the Color Oops, mentioned and it left my hair a bright brassy orange. I then put brown over it and it was a gross color with green undertones.
GO TO A SALON!

RedConvert­ibleGirl1339447542.58314326 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW

I had this happen to me also. Even the salon wasn't able to lighten my black hair (we didn't attempt to bleach it or anything). It was suggested to use Dawn dishsoap and/or Woolite. No results. I just had to wait until it faded.

Last edited on 6/11/2012

Last edited on 6/11/2012

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

Abby Grace1339449520.761223 PostsRegistered 6/12/2011

I would get to a salon, asap. They should be able to tell you if it is fixable, and to what degree it is/or isn't fixable. Corrections are pricey. but if you have any further issues trying to correct it yourself, it will be more expensive to fix. Good luck!

Last edited on 6/11/2012

Last edited on 6/11/2012

Rooney11339450075.295840 PostsRegistered 9/5/2007White Mountains - Northeastern Arizona

Salon!!!

CalmInTheH­eart1339450351.7877277 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007

When you are at the salon, be sure to have the stylist write down the brand and color name (or combination of colors) she/he uses. Then take that info to Sally's or another beauty supply that sells color to the public and ask them to match it for you to brands and colors they offer. My friend did it and it worked out perfect!

Peace

Top Quark1339452767.6543 PostsRegistered 6/11/2012

Everything I've ever heard is never try to color correct at home. But what you used to begin with - permanent or semi-perm. - will determine if you can quickly wash out enough to be happy or will need a salon fix.

I'm starting to see some grey and think I migh try a medium light brown home color on my med. dark brown hair. I've read that will cover the grey but not darken your not-grey hair so much, and sort of give a highlighted effect.

You also have to be careful before attempting to color it again if you switch brands because sometimes different ones interact in a funky way. I think you are supposed to call the help line and ask about it because they have that info. The help line would probably have suggestions regarding your current situation.

A lot of people don't know what they're talking about but that doesn't stop them from talking about it.

blossomgirl1339453541.1032591 PostsRegistered 1/27/2011

Get thee to the salon ASAP

The color needs to be stripped, then a much lighter shade applied.

manny21339457121.41786 PostsRegistered 3/11/2009

Try the soap cap it will lift the color a few levels.

Fifi11339457553.244753 PostsRegistered 1/21/2005
A reason to not attempt this at home! Professional products are different....I'd go to a salon where I know they can do corrective color...will cost you, but you'll be happier with results.

ellabell281339464127.273774 PostsRegistered 11/8/2006
I just did this the other day too! I don't have any grey hairs but I missed little sections throughout my hair. So I have almost black hair with medium brown pieces, not what I was going for. I did use a temporary color( last 28 washes). I read online and a lot of people used Prell shampoo to lighten hair color. I tried it this morning, I soaked my hair with it, clipped it up, and let it set for 45 minutes. When I rinsed it out, the water had a really dark tint to it. My hair is definitely alittle lighter. I'm going to do two more times tonight and hope for the best! I will say though that if I had used permanent dye, I would go to a professional. As soon as my color is gone, I'm going to have professionally colored.

ive been f­ramed1339466715.3432494 PostsRegistered 6/8/2012

Agree with a professional fix.

i've colored my hair at home for years without problem. I too have medium to dark brown hair.I now use" Healthy Look" semi permanent in light ash brown, sometimes med ash brown ( semi-permanents aren't as harsh).Covers my grays fine and isn't too dark for me.

Ash colors aren't as brassy but can appear a bit darker. That's why I've learned to just concentrate on root touch ups and not whole head every time, even with a semi.

Kathleen1339467156.3913131 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down

I recently had a hair color turn out a bit too dark. I bought some John Frieda Go Blonder shampoo and conditioner and after about two or three shampoos - it lightened it just enough.

Page 1 of 2