The Joy of Christmas
78 Members and 6746 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Sunscreen in makeup: Reapply every 2 hours?

Started 1338813052.91 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1338947511.3 by Mona Dahl

I usually use CG AquaSmooth foundation - it supposedly has 15-SPF. I recently started using a Mally foundation and primer that also has 15-SPF. I read on the Mally box: "Apply liberally 15 minutes before sun exposure" and "Reapply at least every 2 hours."

Huh? If we wear a foundation with SPF, is the SPF protection worthless after 2 hours?

Just curious.

If you obey all the rules, you miss all of the fun.
- Katharine Hepburn

Page 1 of 1
ilovegreen­gems1338814144.36739 PostsRegistered 9/5/2006

I don't use that product, tototwo, but I do use make-up with spf, either from the drugstore or pur minerals from the web. I have never had to re-apply it to get the benefit, and I am very fair. I suppose you might have to if you were sweating a lot or went swimming.

namaste0001338815110.353548 PostsRegistered 7/21/2006

The guidelines for ALL sunscreens say that you need to reapply every 2 hours. I rely on a true sunblock moisturizer on my face before I apply foundation - lots of foundations list an SPF but they don't block UVA and UVB.

If I am am going to be in the sun alot, I do reapply sunscreen over my foundation during the day.

One of the secrets of a happy life is continuous small treats. -Iris Murdoch

depglass1338816905.81723880 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

I go to estate auctions a lot in the summer. That means four to six hours sitting in the brutal sun. My Bare Escentuals over any SPF works all day. But I'm obviously not swimming.

dionline1338817352.1472234 PostsRegistered 1/6/2008Central Florida

I, too, have wondered about that directive. Once my foundation is on, I'm not applying anything over the top, unless it's more powder. Namaste, I have no idea how you do that without totally messing up your face. What about the blush you've applied?? Not sure what I'd look like if I applied my sunscreen over my full face of makeup!! (I apply a separate sunscreen prior to foundation, too, as an SPF15 would never make it, I'm far too fair.)

cassiem1338817378.2376802 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

If your makeup has only physical sunscreens (zinc oxide and titanium dioxide), you do not need to reapply unless you get wet or sweat a lot. Once the physical sunscreen is applied, it continues to block the sun's rays until it is removed (it can come off if swimming or your face is sweating a lot or if you rub your face).

However, if your sunscreen contains chemical sunscreens, you must reapply after two hours because the chemical ingredients begin to become inactive after being exposed to sunlight. (They absorb the light and degrade as they absorb.)

Nascarfan481338832799.2371525 PostsRegistered 9/6/2009
On 6/4/2012 cassiem said:

If your makeup has only physical sunscreens (zinc oxide and titanium dioxide), you do not need to reapply unless you get wet or sweat a lot. Once the physical sunscreen is applied, it continues to block the sun's rays until it is removed (it can come off if swimming or your face is sweating a lot or if you rub your face).

However, if your sunscreen contains chemical sunscreens, you must reapply after two hours because the chemical ingredients begin to become inactive after being exposed to sunlight. (They absorb the light and degrade as they absorb.)

exactly

TunedIn1338833229.28180 PostsRegistered 5/26/2012
On 6/4/2012 dionline said:

I, too, have wondered about that directive. Once my foundation is on, I'm not applying anything over the top, unless it's more powder. Namaste, I have no idea how you do that without totally messing up your face. What about the blush you've applied?? Not sure what I'd look like if I applied my sunscreen over my full face of makeup!! (I apply a separate sunscreen prior to foundation, too, as an SPF15 would never make it, I'm far too fair.)

There are powder spf's like PTR's which come in a convienient brush and go container.

tototwo1338838801.062551 PostsRegistered 2/8/2008Great Plains

Thanks for all your opinions, and thanks Cassie for your understandable explanation. I have no idea if the sunscreen in my CG is chemical or physical so I'll have to look that up. I do know that I'm definitely not re-applying foundation and/or sunscreen on top of existing makeup. Not gonna happen! If my SFP becomes inactive after 2 hours, then so be it. At my age, the sun's already done all the damage it's going to do.

Thanks again.

- Katharine Hepburn

Mona Dahl1338844149.1672201 PostsRegistered 3/29/2007

It's not true for all sunscreens, nor is it true for all chemical sunscreens. In fact, many chemical sunscreens will retain at least partial efficacy for up to 8 hours. The 2-hour rule is for sunscreens which are not photostable.

A sunscreen that contains avobenzone without octocrylene OR one of a few other stabilizing ingredients is not going to be photostable. It also must contain enough octocrylene relative to the avobenzone--generally, the percentage of octocrylene needs to be about half as much (or more) as the percentage of avobenzone. If, however, octinoxate is present in addition to avobenzone and octocrylene, it will frequently destabilize the formulation. Sunscreens that do not contain avobenzone are generally photostable.

A more detailed discussion of how to determine photostability, as well as how often it is necessary to reapply different types of sunscreens, can be found here. If you are swimming or sweating, you should reapply every 2 hours even if your sunscreen is photostable; otherwise, though, you can wait longer--probably up to 4-6 hours.

Last edited on 6/4/2012

Last edited on 6/4/2012

Risk more than others think is safe,

Care more than others think is wise,

Dream more than others think is practical,

Expect more than others think is possible.

KatCat11338849729.54316960 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

That's an interesting question. If you use moisturizer with SPF, do you reapply also? And foundation with SPF? I never read instructions that indicated that on what I use but you have made an interesting point.

Mona Dahl1338859480.2732201 PostsRegistered 3/29/2007
On 6/4/2012 KatCat1 said:

That's an interesting question. If you use moisturizer with SPF, do you reapply also? And foundation with SPF? I never read instructions that indicated that on what I use but you have made an interesting point.

Yes, anything that claims to contain sunscreen will need to be reapplied in order to get continued protection. By "sunscreen" I mean sunscreens AND moisturizers with sunscreen AND foundations with sunscreen.

If you have an extremely high-quality and high-protection, photostable chemical sunscreen, and you apply it liberally, you *might* be able to get away with wearing it for 8 hours before reapplying--although I'd still suggest reapplying after 4-6 hours. All bets are off on that timeframe if the sunscreen is not photostable, or if you don't apply it liberally, or if you're swimming or sweating during wear.

On another thread I recommended the Colorescience mineral powders--they can be brushed over other sunscreen products to refresh your protection. However, be careful about layering mineral powders over avobenzone-containing sunscreens, as sometimes the zinc oxide and titanium dioxide in the powder can destabilize avobenzone.

Most foundations get their SPF from titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, which *do* offer full-spectrum protection (UVA1, UVA2, and UVB); however, the UVA protection is not as good as what you would get from chemical ingredients like avobenzone.

It's complicated, but definitely worth researching and planning a little, because the quality of your SPF protection can make a huge difference in your skin.

Lucky One1338860591.6331224 PostsRegistered 7/15/2011
On 6/4/2012 Mona Dahl said:

It's not true for all sunscreens, nor is it true for all chemical sunscreens. In fact, many chemical sunscreens will retain at least partial efficacy for up to 8 hours. The 2-hour rule is for sunscreens which are not photostable.

A sunscreen that contains avobenzone without octocrylene OR one of a few other stabilizing ingredients is not going to be photostable. It also must contain enough octocrylene relative to the avobenzone--generally, the percentage of octocrylene needs to be about half as much (or more) as the percentage of avobenzone. If, however, octinoxate is present in addition to avobenzone and octocrylene, it will frequently destabilize the formulation. Sunscreens that do not contain avobenzone are generally photostable.

A more detailed discussion of how to determine photostability, as well as how often it is necessary to reapply different types of sunscreens, can be found here. If you are swimming or sweating, you should reapply every 2 hours even if your sunscreen is photostable; otherwise, though, you can wait longer--probably up to 4-6 hours.

Last edited on 6/4/2012
Thanks for the link. It was very informative.

Mona Dahl1338861507.662201 PostsRegistered 3/29/2007
On 6/4/2012 Lucky One said:
On 6/4/2012 Mona Dahl said:

It's not true for all sunscreens, nor is it true for all chemical sunscreens. In fact, many chemical sunscreens will retain at least partial efficacy for up to 8 hours. The 2-hour rule is for sunscreens <em>which are not photostable</em>.

Last edited on 6/4/2012
Thanks for the link. It was very informative.

You're most welcome :)

ElvisShops1338862741.884624 PostsRegistered 1/28/2007

So who here is taking off her mu every two hours and reapplying throughout the day? Who has that much free time at work everyday? "Excuse me, I can't make the meeting. It's time to reapply my sunblock and redo my face. Ya'll carry on without me."

“When I feed the hungry, they call me a saint. When I ask why people are hungry, they call me a Communist.”
― Dom Hélder Pessoa Câmara, Brazilian archbishop

tototwo1338897383.3772551 PostsRegistered 2/8/2008Great Plains

What ElvisShops said {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Last edited on 6/5/2012

Last edited on 6/5/2012

- Katharine Hepburn

Jayro1338913467.9831945 PostsRegistered 11/29/2008

*sigh* Is there any hope for those of us that buy seemingly adequate SPF face products, and apply them before going to work in an office all day? Do we have to be scientists to sort out all the possible complications and errors to our ways?

D Oro1338914029.9334069 PostsRegistered 2/17/2011Knock Knock, USA
Do you know anything about La Mer sunscreen? I just picked some up Saturday thinking I was doing a good thing. Sigh!

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.
-- Coco Chanel

Life is too short to spend hoping that a perfectly arched eyebrow or hottest new lip shade will mask an ugly heart.---Kevin Aucoin

BESwede1338915406.1576218 PostsRegistered 6/4/2007Colorado

What I do is to apply my mineral foundation every morning, which has a physical sunscreen in it (BE Matte) and then I also use a finishing powder which has physical sunscreen in it as well (Mineral Veil SPF). I usually touch up my face once during the day using the Mineral Veil so that gives me a little more protection or at least "refreshes" it.

If I'm going to be outside for a prolonged length of time I've also used the BE SPF30 which is a really effective and easy to use sunscreen that comes in a dispenser with a brush so I can just brush it on over the top of my makeup and anywhere else on the body. Love it because it's no mess and so quick to use. There is a similiar one made by PTR but the brush on the BE version is much nicer.

For very intense sun exposure like skiing or the beach I use a spray mist sunscreen with SPF 70 made my Ulta. It's a fine mist so can go on over makeup and anywhere on the body and you dont have to get it on your hands. This is a chemical sunscreen so would need to reapply every couple of hours to keep it at full effectiveness.

48, very fair, blonde, green eyes, cool "summer" coloring. Combination/sensitive skin. Vegetarian

Mona Dahl1338947511.32201 PostsRegistered 3/29/2007
On 6/5/2012 BESwede said:

For very intense sun exposure like skiing or the beach I use a spray mist sunscreen with SPF 70 made my Ulta. It's a fine mist so can go on over makeup and anywhere on the body and you dont have to get it on your hands. This is a chemical sunscreen so would need to reapply every couple of hours to keep it at full effectiveness.

That sunscreen is photostable, so you don't have to apply it every 2 hours. Once again, the 2-hour rule is only true of photounstable chemical sunscreens, not all chemical sunscreens.

Page 1 of 1