Shoes & Handbags Offers
126 Members and 12014 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Self Tanner Prob.! Spots!!!!

Started 1333598640.15 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1340305928.253 by dancerlady

Please Help!

Surely I am not the only one that has experienced this problem: Age spots showing up all over legs and forearms, after using self tanner!

It looks like I should just connect the dots and then I would have a tan....this is such a mess that I have been exfoliating and drenching my dried out skin in heavy duty body cream.

I have only used drugstore tanners mainly, for the past few years it's been Coppertone. I have always had somewhat of a prob. with a few spots showing up, but in the last 2 weeks it started looking like a disease! Went to derm. and the bad news is age spots showing up!

If anyone has any advice, I will surely try. I am so white I look "blue" without a little color! How will I ever wear a skirt or walking shorts? But the spots look worse than pasty white, I suppose.....

Thanks to anyone that answers!

Page 1 of 1
Tricolor1333631463.835222 PostsRegistered 4/19/2010Pittsburgh Suburbs

I have the same problem from my younger years in the sun. Sure wished I could turn back the clock. A few self tanners have worked for me and do not accentuate my spots. St. Tropez, Beautisol, and Xen Tan. I just ordred Tarte as another poster said this works well with spots. Oh Jergens has worked for me too in not emphasizing these ugly spots. Actually, I am going to see my derm in two weeks. I am getting evaluated for a laser procedure. However, I do not know how $$$ this will be. Fortunately, I do not have these on my face. Hope this was of help to you.

64 years old
Retired RMA
Dry medium skintone
Blonde highlights
Dry thick coarse hair

Fratmom1333646413.15109 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006

Thank you so much for responding! I was really beginning to think that I was the only person that this was happening to.

Wondering just how the host that apply all the self tanner keep this from happening.....maybe laser?

I did use Jergens long ago, but the smell was just too much, I hope the Tarte works. Post if it helps the prob. please and also how the laser appt. goes!

Good luck!

stevie721333648031.8772255 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009Western NY

Fratmom -- I used the Jergens last year and it made my age spots darker so I quit using it and also did not like the smell. Would love to be able to use Tan Towels but someone in another thread said that they make the age spots darker too.

I guess I'll wait and, with the help of sunscreen, try to get a gradual tan.

Janet from WNY

cassiem1333648490.3376776 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 4/5/2012 Fratmom said:

Thank you so much for responding! I was really beginning to think that I was the only person that this was happening to.

Wondering just how the host that apply all the self tanner keep this from happening.....maybe laser?

I did use Jergens long ago, but the smell was just too much, I hope the Tarte works. Post if it helps the prob. please and also how the laser appt. goes!

Good luck!

The hosts use heavy airbrushed makeup over any skin that shows on camera!

Self-tanner will darken everything, including freckles, sun spots, age spots, discoloration. I pretty much only use self tanner on my legs and arms. To keep the sunspots from darkening too much, I rub vaseline or a heavy lotion into them with a qtip before applying the self tanner. It makes a barrier that the self-tanner doesn't penetrate.

gypsy21333651686.291906 PostsRegistered 5/24/2010
On 4/5/2012 cassiem said:
On 4/5/2012 Fratmom said:

Good luck!

The hosts use heavy airbrushed makeup over any skin that shows on camera!

Self-tanner will darken everything, including freckles, sun spots, age spots, discoloration. I pretty much only use self tanner on my legs and arms. To keep the sunspots from darkening too much, I rub vaseline or a heavy lotion into them with a qtip before applying the self tanner. It makes a barrier that the self-tanner doesn't penetrate.

A great idea! Thanks for the tip!

Jeanne R1333652290.474788 PostsRegistered 7/5/2010

very common issue in our family

BigBro61333652752.272728 PostsRegistered 11/15/2007Lafayette New Jersey

I have age spots on my face and and hands, but would rather put self-tanner on than be white as a ghost. My age spots have increased since walking for exercise, but would rather be 5-10 less in weight, than age spots ..... I used baby oil in my NJ shore days, but at least I had fun. I been putting spf for 15 years, but ...

Fratmom1333718048.29109 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006

Thanks ladies, but the vaseline idea won't work for me! It seems that I have some age spots that are always there, then there are the ones that have surfaced like wildfire after applying the self tanner!

I have no idea where they are until I have used the tanner, so it's a mess. I have never had this look before, not even a few months ago! Maybe it is just best to give up the idea and be pastey looking.

The vaseline is a great idea for those that it works for. Perhaps there is a product that would help reduce the spots, like one used on the face.....????

henderson1333724138.767349 PostsRegistered 10/4/2008

I can't use self tanner on my legs/ankles. Have keratosis pilaris and the stuff darkens it also.

cotto221333724586.681523 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006
I have a question for the OP, did you have the spots before applying the self tanner, or did they appear afterwards? I am confused after reading all the other responses, and now really hesitant about trying self tanners this year. Last year I did use the Kate Somerville towelettes, but they were really pricey. I didn't see any spots, but what you described is kind of scary! I do have some little spots on my hands, but I didnt use the wipes there. Sorry for the confusion!

Tricolor1333730531.925222 PostsRegistered 4/19/2010Pittsburgh Suburbs

Cotto, my spots have from the sun; only on my arms and legs. So many self tanners tend to grab the color in those areas.

64 years old
Retired RMA
Dry medium skintone
Blonde highlights
Dry thick coarse hair

Fratmom1333736011.873109 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006
On 4/6/2012 cotto22 said: I have a question for the OP, did you have the spots before applying the self tanner, or did they appear afterwards? I am confused after reading all the other responses, and now really hesitant about trying self tanners this year. Last year I did use the Kate Somerville towelettes, but they were really pricey. I didn't see any spots, but what you described is kind of scary! I do have some little spots on my hands, but I didnt use the wipes there. Sorry for the confusion!

No problem, I probally didn't describe it very clearly.

I have had some major brown age spots for several yearl, this is from baking in the sun in my ignorant youth! But I was nice and tan then, but wish I could undo.

When I first started using tanner a few years ago, more spots appeared, but were managable. Then all of a sudden there was a mass of these smaller brown spots which I have never seen before appeared, mainly on my legs. My stomach is clear, arms remained as they were before, but the mess on my legs looks like "brown measles!" I just have been exfoliating and putting on tons of moisture.

The tanner didn't cause the spots it just brought them out. My question is why the sudden change so quickly?

You will prob. be safe, it's worth a try....I am now so white I look BLUE!!!!!

inadotcoma1333739003.38134 PostsRegistered 6/19/2011

as a self-tanner, i use VEET dilpilatory on my legs in winter, shave in summer. why? veet removes the color from my legs. so, having the age spot problem, too....what i've discovered. if i pit a tiny bit of veet on a q-tip, turn it on the brown spot....well, not a perfect solution, but if you have the time, it does help.

luvmyteddy1333739777.2838399 PostsRegistered 9/4/2010Land of Oz

I never use it on my face as it does make the age spots look darker. I like Jergens the best, hardly any smell now but I am waiting for the Tan Towels to try. Just use a little bronzer on the face. I find I get darker if I use the tanner before I go out in the sun and I get darker faster. I can get pretty dark on my arms and legs from walking my dog everyday. I don't tan my lower chest anymore after finding pre-cancerous spots last year. I got rid of them from a prescription and never want them back.

The AHA spot removal has really lightened the 2 age spots on my face and I always wear my baseball cap outside in the sun.

azsomeone1333753966.5622 PostsRegistered 2/21/2006

the best product I have tried is the St. Topez WITH the mitt. Make sure it is the mousse. I had used it even before QVC had it. Go onto the St. Topez web site to see how to use it. For me I have no funky smell, and the Mitt is what make it go on perfectly with no spots, streaking etc. Now if you have age spots, I would say any self tanner will make them darker. However, don't have the problem of dark spots. Would assume however, that very light spots that might normally be seen might get enhanced with tanners.

cotto221333755029.7431523 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006

Does anyone know what it would cost to have the spots removed by laser treatment? I personally don't think the serums are effective. I tried the clinique version, and it did nothing for the spots on my hands. I remember my Mom, years ago, using a product called Esoterica for age spots. Guess things don't change that much! I think she bought hers at the drugstore, however, and it was not $40 or $50.

Anyway, I hope the OP finds something that works to self tan and/or get rid of the spots.

Tricolor1333816110.3735222 PostsRegistered 4/19/2010Pittsburgh Suburbs
On 4/6/2012 cotto22 said:

Does anyone know what it would cost to have the spots removed by laser treatment? I personally don't think the serums are effective. I tried the clinique version, and it did nothing for the spots on my hands. I remember my Mom, years ago, using a product called Esoterica for age spots. Guess things don't change that much! I think she bought hers at the drugstore, however, and it was not $40 or $50.

Anyway, I hope the OP finds something that works to self tan and/or get rid of the spots.

I am seeing my derm April 25 to discuss the laser procedure. My face is perfectly clear, but my arms and legs have so many sunspots. I will report back once I find out the cost and if this is really designed for my problem. I do remember Esoterica when I was a kid; don't if they still make it.

64 years old
Retired RMA
Dry medium skintone
Blonde highlights
Dry thick coarse hair

kcc1333929990.517545 PostsRegistered 7/10/2010

I'm sorry for you Fratmom. I have spots of my legs but the really noticeable ones are on the left side of my face/neck ('driving sun spots). I liked the Kate Somerville tan towels for both face & body but the cost is high. Last year I found Nivea Body Sun-Kissed Firming Moisturizer & loved it for both face & body. I did wipe off a bit on the spots before it had time to 'take hold'. A few days ago, I tried the Tarte self tanner. I love most everything from Tarte but the self tanner== not so much. I may have applied too much, esp. legs (too dark & w/streaks) & I forgot to wipe off where the facial sun spots are. Yikes...it made them so much worse & darker. Going back to the Nivea...it's pretty natural looking. I'm fair w/sun spots, red spots, lines, 'the works'. So maybe you might try the Nivea...it comes in 2 separate shades & 'gradually tans'.

Last edited on 4/8/2012

Last edited on 4/8/2012

blondygirl1340058626.75714 PostsRegistered 10/24/2007

I too have quite a few large sun spots on my calves mostly, and most self tanners do make them dark..but I have to say of all those I have used, St Tropez tanning mousse with the use of the mitt, has seemed to make the spots less noticeable. Dont know why. I do sometimes take a wet Q-tip afterwards and wipe the mousse off by dabbing it on the main spots...not every one of course. Seems to be working well for me. Every once in a while I sit in the sun for about an hour also. Just enough to keep the sunless tanner looking natural and even. Good luck.

dancerlady1340305928.2531 PostsRegistered 6/21/2012

I also have the same problem. I used Loreal Sublime bronzer and have numerous spots showing on my legs and arms that I didn't even know were there. So beware, don't use this product. I have used Jergens in the past and it shows the dark spots darker also but nothing like the Loreal. I also use qtips to wipe off some of the spots before it sets. I was a sun worshipper for years have many brown spots. I like some color on my legs in the summer so that I can wear shorts, but now I am not sure after putting on the Loreal if the white legs with light brown spots doesn't look better. I have spent a lot of money in the past on Laser treatments which did not help. I also have had some frozen which works much better. Often times, a permanent white spot is left after freezing which will not tan or respond to self tanner. Freezing is much cheaper also. If you choose this option, be sure to have it done in the winter because it takes months for the redness to go away. If anyone has an other solution, please let me know.

Page 1 of 1