Meant for Mom
14 Members and 13896 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Please help! My neck got old overnight!!

Started 1332624776.917 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1332787640.677 by itslikeherdingcats
Seriously, within the last few months my neck has turned into my mother's! Is there any hope to delay the wrinkles and sagging?! I am only 45! Will creams, eating healthy, exercise and SPF reverse anything?!

Page 1 of 1
Gussie20071332631462.767395 PostsRegistered 11/9/2007

My LightStim has been really good for my neck area (plus face and hands). There are some BB threads discussing this since LightStim is just back at the Q this weekend so you might want to check those out. The price is now much less than I paid but I bought mine over a year ago. I still feel it is well worth what I paid.

Rochester ­Shopper1332634365.4834922 PostsRegistered 7/20/2011Michigan

Be4Me, I know the horror. Same thing happened to me! I agree with Gussie2007, Lightstim does work on the texture, tightenint, and my neck ring.

~Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle.~
~My Grandma's motto: Is it nice, is it true, would you like it said of you?~

MissButter­cup1332635980.4771994 PostsRegistered 10/23/2010

LOL, no, there is absolutely nothing you can do about this. you are aging. The same thing happened to me and it happened at 45. I am 47 now. Everything is falling and it's going to continue to fall. My advice to you? Get some pretty scarves, read some books and cultivate a really interesting personality and forget about your neck. If you dont make a big deal out of it no one else will. Also, Go to this link here and read the very first essay in this book called "I feel bad about my neck" and laugh your butt off. That's what I did. This book is one of the funniest, truest things ever written for women about aging. I laughed so hard at every single essay because I identified with quite a few of them!

chi59251332636833.1071845 PostsRegistered 1/3/2006

No creams, machines, or voodoo will fix your neck.

Plastic surgery can fix it until it starts sagging again.

What's wrong with aging gracefully?

bow regard1332639487.6273696 PostsRegistered 4/16/2009...the Long & Winding road.....

I agree with the LightStim users! It has made a big difference for me. I also started using Isomers Chin & Neck Firming at the same time as the LS....July 2011. I'm 62 and wish I had been able to use these two things at your age.

On a lighter note and to bring a little levity to the situation, read Nora Ephron's I Hate My Ugly Neck....... I found myself really lol.

eta.....I didn't read all the posts above until now, and see where another poster made mention of the book and I guess I got the name wrong....I guess it is I Feel Bad About My Neck ....but it is a book I read by Nora Ephron....it's a great read.

Last edited on 3/24/2012

Last edited on 3/24/2012

rosebudgar­den1332653106.663373 PostsRegistered 1/6/2006

I don't know.....one of my girlfriends had a neck, face and eyelift last summer and her neck is already falling again! Yikes! Seeing what she has gone through w/ no feeling in her ears, swelling almost a year ago, scar tissue, now has convinced me to never go through that. I am considering a little filler and botox and know moisturized skin and my Bobbi Brown makeup and smiling may be the best thing to do!Kiss

Blondelle1332653791.5074007 PostsRegistered 8/4/2007

There is help down the road as they continue to improve the Ultherapy ultrasound technology for non surgical skin tightening. It's not quite there yet but plastic surgeons are saying that as it evolves it will replace the traditional face lift.

MarieIG1332667924.313341 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007

I am not saying that anything will have the result of plastic surgery, but different things help different people. IMHO, you can improve the look of your neck.

a) As per diet, look into the Perricone diet, the first book, get it from the library.

b) Sleep - eight plus hours a night helps your body heal itself.

c) Exercise - helps the circulation and makes you look and feel better all over.

d) Gadgets - the light stim, facial flex (for the muscles under the skin) and I do manage to use my face master on my jaw and chin as well).

e) Hormones- have yours checked out.

d) serum/ creams - a think a good serum or cream can help with the creepy apperance. I try to include products with retinol (I also use a cream based retin A on my neck), vitamin C, and soy - not necessarily in the same serum.

You won't get results overnight. Give yourself about six months. You can try a before and after picture if you'd like. Good luck.

MarieIG

Wife; mother of six (one military); three cats, and one dog. I enjoy reading about beauty, jewelry, fashion, and wellness.

profrobb1332673481.313515 PostsRegistered 9/10/2010Ohio

How does the LightStim work? Is it low level laser power or what? Is there any research on its effectiveness? I'm really, really curious....

Thanks in advance.....

sunnybrook1332676265.292270 PostsRegistered 8/25/2005
On 3/24/2012 chi5925 said:

I agree with chi and others who note that there isn't a cream out there that will really change this neck situation. I simply keep mine very well moisturized and that seems to help a little. But, the very same thing happened to me as to the OP...just looked in the mirror one morning and WOW things had changed overnight. I have avoided wrinkles very nicely on the rest of my face but the neck....well....

Harpa1332677175.726915 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007
On 3/24/2012 chi5925 said:

Nothing's wrong w/ aging gracefully, but why age in your neck if you don't have to? You'll age it if you don't treat it! I disagree about the no creams part. Certain things made a huge difference! It's what I've experienced.

If you want to fix texture of your neck skin, then you need to gently exfoliate. If you can handle AHA's, they make a dramatic difference in the smoothness of your skin. Start w/ PC 8%, then work your way up to a bit stronger -- AH 12%. You may experience some itching at first, but it will subside as your neck improves.

Same w/ retinol and Vit. C -- all work to slough away any bumps, also corrects uneven skin tone on neck & chest, and even though your skin is thin in the neck area, these are the few things that build collagen underneath, which are the things that help to maintain firmness and plumpness.

Also need to moisturize consistently! Take some time and massage on your neck. Stretch out your neck to apply.

Portia1332677443.673536 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006USA

OP, I can relate to your post. At least I know now that I am not alone. The same thing happened to me. A couple of months ago I looked im the mirror and it seemed as though my neck had sagged overnight! I am 62. I am currently assaulting it with Vitamin C serum and keeping it moisturized and telling myself that aging "gracefully" is a good thing. . . Smile

"If we may not think alike, may we love alike." ~John Wesley

Tricolor1332688631.494951 PostsRegistered 4/19/2010Pittsburgh Suburbs

I turned 62 in November and it seems like I aged overnight too. This year has been rough on my skin. My family tells me that I don't look as bad as I think, but I do see my skin aging. What is hard for us women is that all the magazines, all of the TV ads, and the shopping channels all use young women in their 20's. We think by using that product, we will look like that too. Just not going to happen.

64 years old
Retired RMA
Dry medium skintone
Blonde highlights
Dry thick coarse hair

Bindi1332689392.5733874 PostsRegistered 4/11/2007

I think moisturising is a big key in how ones neck looks, for sure!!! My neck isn't too bad, (but I am seeing some changes) I am definitely going to be using the LightStim on it! I know it will never look like it did when I was younger, and I know there is only so much we can do, but I am going to do all I can to preserve what I haveSmile

Harpa, Rochester and Bow...y'all always have such great info on skincare, I love reading your posts!!! (I actually love reading everyone's posts and ideas, there are a bunch of great ladies on this forum)!

~ Bindi ~
Posting from my iPad & iPhone sometimes, so format of my posts will look different:)

Rochester ­Shopper1332696157.934922 PostsRegistered 7/20/2011Michigan
On 3/25/2012 Bindi said:

I think moisturising is a big key in how ones neck looks, for sure!!! My neck isn't too bad, (but I am seeing some changes) I am definitely going to be using the LightStim on it! I know it will never look like it did when I was younger, and I know there is only so much we can do, but I am going to do all I can to preserve what I haveSmile

Harpa, Rochester and Bow...y'all always have such great info on skincare, I love reading your posts!!! (I actually love reading everyone's posts and ideas, there are a bunch of great ladies on this forum)!

Gee, thanks, Bindi! I like reading your posts, too. I love your enthusiaism!

~Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle.~
~My Grandma's motto: Is it nice, is it true, would you like it said of you?~

smhr1332767731.113822 PostsRegistered 1/16/2012laid back and mellow town USA

Whatever you decide, you need to get a jump on it now, especially at age 45. Don't wake up someday at age 60 something, and the only choice will be a face/neck lift.

Lowry831332768990.0073300 PostsRegistered 8/15/2008

As you can see from the previous replies to this thread, opinions vary as to whether skin care products will help the neck. Personally, I think that Yes, products can help. No product will work miracles, and not every product works for every person, but through trial and error, you can find products that help your neck.

I prefer two Isomers products - their Neck and Chin Firming Cream for sagging, and Acetyl Hexapeptide 8 serum for wrinkles. If you have a favorite product that helps facial wrinkles, try it on your neck. As for neck sagging, I think a special neck cream does help - whether it is Isomers or another brand.

EDIT - For those who are not familiar with Isomers, it is sold on ShopNBC and on the Isomers website. They have an upcoming Today's Top Value (like a Today's Special Value) on March 31st on ShopNBC, and products may be less expensive during their visit.

Good luck finding what works for you! Wink

Last edited on 3/26/2012

Last edited on 3/26/2012

anika1332783772.063546 PostsRegistered 11/8/2006

Just what I was thinking, I am only in my late30's and already started noticing some serious changes:(

Thanks so much for the very helpful post & replies...

sharlee1332784435.51846 PostsRegistered 6/13/2006

You might want to look at Serious Skin Care's CorrectChin. It's for the neck and jowl area. As with everything else, it doesn't work for everyone, but depending on the extent of your "problem", you might like it. I tried it when I first noticed the crepiness starting right in the middle of my neck, and found that although it didn't make me look thirty again, it made a small but noticeable difference. I've used it for a couple of years now, and still think it's helpful. Not terribly expensive either.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

olewoman1332784453.2432054 PostsRegistered 10/19/2008only my friends

I am 61 don't waste your money making someone else rich.Keep your money because you will need it when your body starts falling apart ane it will.Live with what God gave us.

Last edited on 3/26/2012

Last edited on 3/26/2012

anika1332784649.583546 PostsRegistered 11/8/2006

I am going to try light stim in near future! Starting regular exercise regimen & Also, realised and keeping in mind to remember everyday small things like proper posture for example using laptop elevated to the eye level & Sleeping on your back without a pillow on a somewhat firm mattress, or use a neck pillow.

itslikeher­dingcats1332787640.6774039 PostsRegistered 9/20/2010

I don't intend this as an insult or attack but honestly, the people who ask "what is wrong with aging gracefully" are not helpful. Yes they may feel this is the best option but for many today, aging gracefully is not on the menu. Otherwise, they would NOT be starting a thread asking how to fix wrinkles, lines, etc. Right?? For those who want to age gracefully into that good night, please feel free to do so; go grey, live for the wrinkle, show disdain for the hormone treatment, etc. But to ask what is wrong with not wanting to age gracefully on a thread that seeks solutions to a problem of aging is tantamount to asking a Catholic "whats wrong with eating meat on a Friday in Lent?"{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Page 1 of 1