Just-Reduced Clearance
146 Members and 18083 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

What does it mean when your stylist says your hair pulls red.

Started 1330602871.777 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1330747031.733 by shoekitty

my hair stylist said my hair pulls red, anyone know what that means.

Page 1 of 2
PpprMintPa­tty1330602947.3418757 PostsRegistered 8/7/2007Outside our Nation's Capitol

It means your hair has a natural tendancy to go towards a red color. My blond pulls red and gold so I have to be careful as I don't want a brassy color.

~Formerly known as Danny~

MotorCity ­Chick1330608415.7271816 PostsRegistered 2/1/2005Michigan
On 3/1/2012 PpprMintPatty said:

It means your hair has a natural tendancy to go towards a red color. My blond pulls red and gold so I have to be careful as I don't want a brassy color.

This is what my stylist says about my hair, I have a ton of gold in my hair so when it gets colored it really leans more towards a red color, even if I am not trying to go with any reds in my hair.

Milesdavis1330608482.721087 PostsRegistered 10/1/2011

Why didn't you ask your stylist? Just curious.

Last edited on 3/1/2012

summersage1330609708.4972324 PostsRegistered 7/28/2010

Yes, this is exactly my problem. I have beige blond and it takes a real pro to let it lift through those colors. I hate when a stylist that I like leaves and I have to find a new one. I've had some bad experiences!!

Summer

"most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine" Ralph Walso Emerson

I Teach Too1330610373.34711790 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Eastern Iowa...If you build it, they will come.

Well, mine pulls ash. Which it means it kind of turns a lovely grey green color. She has to add a bit of red to my color because of it. However, I have had less trouble with my hair "pulling" since I switched to WEN.

Last edited on 3/1/2012

Last edited on 3/1/2012

I know too much to go back an' pretend.

little dai­sy1330614369.9432259 PostsRegistered 3/6/2007

I did my hair last night a med golden brown, it turned redish brown,

nantucket ­shore1330614809.2075642 PostsRegistered 10/14/2007
On 3/1/2012 momcat said:
On 3/1/2012 JustWantBeautifulSkinn said:
On 3/1/2012 MilesDavis said:

Why didn't you ask your stylist? Just curious.

Hi MilesDavis - I was thinking the SAME thing - I just don't understand some - if my hairdresser made a comment about my hair WHATEVER it was ........... I would ask

it's like leaving a Dr's Office after him telling you you have a lump AND NOT ASKING ABOUT it AND THEN coming here to post "my Dr said I have a lump, anyone know what it can be" ? - WHICH happens here

LOL. My first thought too. Your example of the doctor's appt is a good one. I read a doctor's column in our newspaper, and I am amused at how many people write in asking him some very serious questions on health issues after they have just been to their doctor appt. I think, what in the heck are you talking about at your appt?? Fishing?

I'm 100% guilty of NOT asking at the time...sometimes people just make a comment and it goes in one ear and out the other THEN you think about it and probably wonder why you didn't ask the question.

I also believe a condition such as a "lump" is not a good analogy...that could be something serious vs a comment of hair pulling red doesn't constitute a medical condition.

Nevertheless, I hope the OP'r has received her answer.

Last edited on 3/1/2012

GoodStuff1330615030.52315133 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

It means that with shampoos and time, your hair color tends to take on a reddish, brassy tone -- even if the hairdresser is using a formula that wouldn't do this on most people. Something about the characteristics and "chemistry" of your particular hair. Mine has this tendency, and my hairdresser has worked with the formula she uses to minimize the redness. We have it pretty well under control now.

Icegoddess1330617409.1271638 PostsRegistered 3/19/2010

I think red is the most common problem to overcome when lightnening hair. I wish I had that problem. I'm in luck if I want highlights since I have more gold undertones. But, I color red and it is difficult to get it to the color that I want because of the gold.

Intern1330617528.823503 PostsRegistered 2/25/2012
On 3/1/2012 daisy mae said:

I did my hair last night a med golden brown, it turned redish brown,

That is because anything with golden in the title is going to pull red.

LipstickDi­va1330617864.15738588 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

My hair has a tendency to pull red also when being colored. She always has to put a toner on my hair after highlighting.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

i like cel­ery1330620891.7475258 PostsRegistered 6/23/2010

Your natural hair color has either warm, cool or ash tones. Sometimes neutral, but not often. If your hair is naturally warm toned, your hair will lift a reddish or gold (red at the darker color level and gold at the lighter color level). If your hair is naturally cool toned, your hair will lift beigey or pale blonde (beige at the darker color level and pale blonde at the lighter color level). If your hair is naturally ash toned, your hair will lift to what appears to be greenish brown or white blonde (green/brown at the darker color level and white blonde at the lighter color level).

Try doing this: Look at someone, who hasn't ever colored their hair, in the sunlight or bright indoor lighting. You'll notice their natural hair color has either warm natural highlights (reddish or gold) or cool natural highlights (beigy or white blonde) or ash natural highlights (greenish brown or white blonde). Those are highlights that have been lightened (lifted) naturally. When you color your hair, your entire head of hair will have an overall warm or cool tone because each strand of your hair is being lifted, so your overall color will be reddish, gold, beigy or ashy. HTH!

Life is beauty full.

blueroses471330621477.7172148 PostsRegistered 9/1/2005Central NJ

I'm 100% guilty of NOT asking at the time...sometimes people just make a comment and it goes in one ear and out the other THEN you think about it and probably wonder why you didn't ask the question.

I also believe a condition such as a "lump" is not a good analogy...that could be something serious vs a comment of hair pulling red doesn't constitute a medical condition.

Nevertheless, I hope the OP'r has received her answer.

I was thinking the same thing as you. Sometimes we just don't think to ask the question at the time. We are distracted, maybe shy or feel uncomfortable for some reason, who knows? We're HUMAN after all, and sometimes we just don't act according to someone else's standards. I've done it myself many, many times.

So, someone rethinks something and comes to the boards to throw out a question. They just want opinions, they're not looking for a sermon.

chandeliers1330633068.3974357 PostsRegistered 3/5/2008

Hair color question to finding lumps....really?

OP Hope you got your answer!

shoekitty1330634173.5712864 PostsRegistered 8/10/2006

Everyone has a base color deposited in cortex, 2 colors actually. These color pigments are in the 2nd layer of the hair. The color actually glows through the other layers and reflects light. The tighter the cuticle of the hair, the more shine and light is reflected.

Daisy Mae, this where you have red pigments that dying to come out! The hairdresser has to drab the red if you don't want it. When we color the hair the cuticle is broken down, then the first 20 mins of 45 min the tint lifts the color out as much as can be done with the color you have chosen. The last 20 mins, color is deposited into the cortex and the cuticle is closed. The rinsing out of excess tint closes the cuticle more. If the cuticle is damaged the hair is dull, and doesn't reflect the light as well.

That is why as we age some of those pigments in the cortex fade and loose color, and there is little or no color resulting in gray or white hair. Color hold color. That is why it is so hard to color gray, as there are no color pigments to "hang on to" and the color tends to wash out.

Probably more than you wanted to know

life is a banquet and most poor fools are starving to death!"
Auntie Mame

FUTURE1330637023.57311737 PostsRegistered 5/18/2008

Absolutely, and mine is exactly the same. My stylist uses ash tones and bleach for highlights, to cancel out the red. I love it!!

Ladyjenn1330637993.6372209 PostsRegistered 10/27/2010Northern CA

My stylist said the same thing, I went from brown/blonde to a light brown/reddish tones color this time and she said OMG your hair pulls red and loves it. It's still red over a month later! And my blonde highlights do turn brassy on me pretty quickly as well when I go blonde.

Momma to 2 Dachshunds and 1 Bernese Mountain Dog!
45 yrs old, Northern CA
Ladyjenn

bluegnu631330679685.607413 PostsRegistered 2/12/2012

My naturally medium brown hair 'pulls' red - you can see reddish (not gold) 'highlights' in it when I'm in sunlight or underneath an overhead light - so I/salon use a COOL or ASH medium brown to color it; all that red is 'balanced' into a rich, 'neutral' brown.

Hope that made sense! 8-)

Last edited on 3/2/2012

Last edited on 3/2/2012

LOVE my humor wry, dry, and sly....
Ellen DeGeneres fully inspires me. 8-)

magicmoodz1330686158.4275162 PostsRegistered 6/23/2008

While my natural hair color is a cool brown, it does tend to pull red. That is why it is so important to find a good colorist who can give me highlights that are neither ashy nor brassy.

I buy expensive suits. They just look cheap on me.
~ Warren Buffett ~

Desertdi1330692953.5815935 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun

Well.....you know what "they" always say about the red-haired child..................

VioletEyes1330699414.60313180 PostsRegistered 2/11/2009
On 3/1/2012 shoekitty said:

Everyone has a base color deposited in cortex, 2 colors actually. These color pigments are in the 2nd layer of the hair. The color actually glows through the other layers and reflects light. The tighter the cuticle of the hair, the more shine and light is reflected.

Daisy Mae, this where you have red pigments that dying to come out! The hairdresser has to drab the red if you don't want it. When we color the hair the cuticle is broken down, then the first 20 mins of 45 min the tint lifts the color out as much as can be done with the color you have chosen. The last 20 mins, color is deposited into the cortex and the cuticle is closed. The rinsing out of excess tint closes the cuticle more. If the cuticle is damaged the hair is dull, and doesn't reflect the light as well.

That is why as we age some of those pigments in the cortex fade and loose color, and there is little or no color resulting in gray or white hair. Color hold color. That is why it is so hard to color gray, as there are no color pigments to "hang on to" and the color tends to wash out.

Probably more than you wanted to know

I really enjoyed reading your response... Your post is a perfect example of why I read this forum....to learn something new. Thank you!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Sooner1330699791.4915142 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

When I've heard that it means I need to find a better colorist.

ivey1330703942.9273114 PostsRegistered 6/25/2007

Personally, I'm glad to have this information (without the scoldings). I have never been able to put a single color on my hair, either doing it myself or at a salon. It always turns a reddish color. I always figured it was because there are redheads in my family, although I am now a dirty blonde. So, I always get highlights instead of a single color. I've copied the information so I won't forget WHY I turn red.

i like cel­ery1330705378.5935258 PostsRegistered 6/23/2010
On 3/2/2012 Sooner said:

When I've heard that it means I need to find a better colorist.

Why? The stylist/colorist is just telling you what color your hair naturally pulls. Now if you don't want the red tones and the stylist/colorist is unable to resolve that with the color formula she/he chooses, then it would be time to "find a better colorist." My hair naturally has warm tones, and is always going to pull gold tones (not red tones because I'm naturally at a lighter color level). That has nothing to do with the stylist. If I don't want to have gold tones and she is unable to fix that with her color formula, then that would be a reflection on the stylist/colorist.

Life is beauty full.

bluegnu631330709199.797413 PostsRegistered 2/12/2012
On 3/2/2012 Desertdi said:

Well.....you know what "they" always say about the red-haired child..................

That she's only a natural redhead if the "top" matches the "bottom"?{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

LOVE my humor wry, dry, and sly....
Ellen DeGeneres fully inspires me. 8-)

Page 1 of 2