Weekend Preview
102 Members and 11223 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Does anyone color their eyebrows?

Started 1330376411.057 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1330471815.527 by TeresaJ

My eyebrows are mostly grey and I am considering having them colored when I have my next hair appointment. Has anyone had this done? If so, how long does it last and do you use the same shade on your eyebrows that you use on your hair? I also wonder if it is safe since it is so close to your eyes.

Page 1 of 2
springers1330376811.1976771 PostsRegistered 8/27/2008so cal

Yes, and I love it. She uses the same dye for my hair and puts a little on with a cotton swab. I look like Groucho Marx but I love the results. I dont have any grey but it really makes my eyebrows appear fuller. They seem to lighten, but I use a pencil until it is time to go back for my hair. I can stretch my hair 6-8 weeks. I also love getting them waxed. A professional arch really give me a youthful uplift to my face. I havent tried threading.

Whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, or praiseworthy-think on these things.

Turbosmom1330376852.377506 PostsRegistered 6/7/2011Beautiful Bluegrass State
Yes, I had mine colored at my last hair appt. 5-6 weeks ago and was pleased. I only had a few stray gray hairs but didn't want to pluck them since the ole eyebrows are getting sparser, so I had them colored a couple of shades darker than my hair and since then only a couple of gray hairs are back, but my hair grows really fast.

TeresaJ1330377173.513117 PostsRegistered 2/17/2006

I had mine done at my hairstylist a month or so ago. Mine are non-existent so I tried it. I did some research and heard that alot of people do it themselves with haircolor or Just For Men Beard and Mustache dye. I bought some a week ago and finally go the nerve to do the other day. It turned out great. I had an old piece of extensions that I tested it on first and the timing of it. I ended up being cautious and only did two minutes. Turned out great.

It does fade fast but I use oils, retin-a etc. on my face so I will more than likely have to redo every three weeks or so.

luvsopals1330377327.29157 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009

All the time! I do them at home approx. every 2-3 weeks. I use the color that comes in a tube. It last a very long time b/c you only use a small amount. I mix it with the developer. I put a light coat of petroleum jelly on the skin surrounding my brows. Using a spooly brush, I dip it in the color & apply it to the eyebrow. I leave the color on for 30 minutes, but I suggest that you experiment first before deciding on the right time for the color to process. I wipe off the color using a large cotton pad. If I apply the color in the morning, I don't wash the area until I'm ready for my nighttime shower. If I do my brows at night, then I wash them in the morning. I do this so that the color stays a little longer. The constant washing fades the area just like it does w/your hairline. I usually color my brows early in the week & by the weekend, I'm ready to go. Hope this helps you.

Kathleen1330377458.12713142 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down

I also use the Just for Men beard and mustache dye. I've been doing it for quite a few years ... about every three weeks.

deja vu1330379254.3776194 PostsRegistered 7/9/2007East Coast

Those that are using the Just for Men Beard and Mustache...I have a question. I don't have to many grays but my mousy brown brow color could use some help.

Does the JFM, hair color only grab the gray or does it add some color to all of the brow ?

thanks, deja vu

~ life is short~pick your battles ~

Kathleen1330381576.00313142 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down
On 2/27/2012 deja vu said:

Does the JFM, hair color only grab the gray or does it add some color to all of the brow ?

thanks, deja vu

I'm assuming it's like any other permanent dye ... color/developer mix. It will color both gray and whatever color you have in your brows.

TeresaJ1330381583.693117 PostsRegistered 2/17/2006

Deja Vu

Since I have only used JFM once, I am going to say wait and perhaps Kathleen will answer. In my opinion, it dyed my eyebrows the color. I don't have grey eyebrows yet....I just have very blonde hair eyebrows that did not show at all.

I bought Ash Brown first and when I tested it out on my extensions....way too brown with my blonde hair.

I returned and got Dark Blonde and only left on for two minutes. Turned out great. So if my extension trial run was any indication, it grabs everything seeing how it is intended to color men's eyebrows, mustaches and beards....not just grey hair.

HTH

tennpal151330381912.95447 PostsRegistered 12/15/2005
On 2/27/2012 Kathleen said:

I also use the Just for Men beard and mustache dye. I've been doing it for quite a few years ... about every three weeks.

That's what I use too. Smile

Vamp1330382121.23311599 PostsRegistered 3/9/2007

thanks, deja vu

I'm assuming it's like any other permanent dye ... color/developer mix. It will color both gray and whatever color you have in your brows.

Yes, it will color all hairs, not just grays. Works just like whatever you put on your hair. I have done it in the salon as well as at home, just apply with a q-tip. If you happen to be going lighter, don't leave the color on the brows as long as you would your hair.

GoodStuff1330383897.10715154 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

Yes. My brows have faded with age and look totally wimpy if not colored to coordinate with my hair. I have them colored, trimmed, and waxed into shape every time I have my hair colored, which is about every six weeks.

SparkyGrl1330384083.477355 PostsRegistered 12/7/2011

Never have but after reading all the great tips i am gonna do this soon!

deja vu1330384262.0436194 PostsRegistered 7/9/2007East Coast
On 2/27/2012 Vamp said:

thanks, deja vu

Yes, it will color all hairs, not just grays. Works just like whatever you put on your hair. I have done it in the salon as well as at home, just apply with a q-tip. If you happen to be going lighter, don't leave the color on the brows as long as you would your hair.

Thanks, I have not ever looked at it, but I do my roots once at home in between my visits to my stylist with Clairol Root touch up, in Medium brown..that's what she said to use. I'll just need to figure what shade to use. I'll give her a call and see what she recommends..I would hate to mess up and end up with dark purple or black brows!!

Thanks for the tips, I learn so much here{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} deja vu

~ life is short~pick your battles ~

Clickedy C­lack1330384542.303342 PostsRegistered 2/28/2011

I've had permanent cosmetics, about 14 years ago, and need a re-do!

Since chemo (1996-7), they've never been the same, or as full. I'm sure plucking didn't help, but they are what they are and now, use the Clinique superfine liner for brows as best so far. I order on-line @ approx. $15.

bow regard1330384897.7333713 PostsRegistered 4/16/2009...the Long & Winding road.....

Oh, yes.....and I think it's one of the best things I've ever done! My hair has turned white/gray/silver in the front and my eyebrows are dark but I was getting the odd coarse gray hair in my brows and the ends seemed to be sparse. My hairdresser suggested doing this and OMGosh what a difference! I had eyebrows on the ends....you just couldn't see them. I love looking in the mirror and seeing my fairly thick dark eyebrows. My hairdresser dyes them the color of the darkest hair on my brows. When I walk out, I think they're a bit dark, but in no time (a couple of days), they are just right. I think I just have to get used to them and then again, I think they really do lighten up a bit. Mine last really well for about 4 weeks and I get them done about every 5-6 weeks.

Mary Bailey1330386301.0177370 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Bedford Falls in It's A Wonderful Life

I do. ITA I look like Groucho Marx. I put it on with a Qtip and wipe it off with a paper towel.

Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.
Just Remember that sometimes, the way you think about a person isn't the way they actually are. - John Green

TeresaJ1330390096.18117 PostsRegistered 2/17/2006
I did find a great application tool for this. You know those little small mascara want thingy that you use to clean in between your teeth. This works excellent and makes it a very neat application. You can find in the toothpaste section.

TeresaJ1330390097.19117 PostsRegistered 2/17/2006
I did find a great application tool for this. You know those little small mascara want thingy that you use to clean in between your teeth. This works excellent and makes it a very neat application. You can find in the toothpaste section.

tennpal151330391775.657447 PostsRegistered 12/15/2005
On 2/27/2012 TeresaJ said: I did find a great application tool for this. You know those little small mascara want thingy that you use to clean in between your teeth. This works excellent and makes it a very neat application. You can find in the toothpaste section.

ahhhh! they're called "Go-Betweens"... and I've never thought of using them this way.... the applicator provided is entirely too large and if you use a Q Tip, the color sinks in.....

thanks for the "tip". {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

TeresaJ1330392343.373117 PostsRegistered 2/17/2006
Your welcome Tennpal! For anyone reading my other post...that should be wand not want thingy lol.

AIphachicky1330404798.44386 PostsRegistered 1/25/2007
On 2/27/2012 tennpal15 said:

That's what I use too. Smile

That's what I use too, have been doing it for years. I first learned about it here on Q's beauty board.

Skiddly iddly oten boten booboo skadeetendotten! ;)

Star Gazer­821330436235.703233 PostsRegistered 1/28/2010

For my hair, I use L'Oreal Color Cream in 6R. So I am a bottle red. I tried putting the L'Oreal hair dye on my eyebrows and it didn't do anything.

I would like to try the just for men, but what color do you think I should use? I have fair skin and naturally blond eyebrows. They barely show up. No gray yet though. Help!

TeresaJ1330440775.19117 PostsRegistered 2/17/2006

Silver Star Lisa, I will try and help....

First I used Clariol Root Touch Up in Medium Ash Brown. It worked good. Had to leave on a little longer than the two minutes it took with Just For Men.

I then went and got Ash Brown JFM cause I have an ash tone to my brows. I tested it and it was way to brown. I too have blonde hair (10 level) and non-existent brows. I returned and got Dark Blonde JFM. I tested it and decided two minutes was a good place to start. It worked out great. Now I still fill then in a little bit but it doesn't take near the time it used to. I can leave alone if needed.

I love it. I have eyebrows with no makeup on....a first.

I myself would err on the side of caution and look at the colors in JFM. I am not sure they have a reddish brown. You can leave the Dark Blonde on for longer than the two minutes I did and get a darker color.

But you use 6R so you can probably get away with darker brows than my 10N hair...

HTH

Star Gazer­821330460353.19233 PostsRegistered 1/28/2010

Thanks Theresa,

How do your brows look when they grow out? Thanks for all the info, I will check out the JFM.

Beachluvr1330464137.78551 PostsRegistered 5/16/2005
Hair stylist does it when she is coloring my hair and there is no additional cost. My brows are light colored and sparse in some areas. Coloring them makes all the difference. Last edited on 2/29/2012

Last edited on 2/29/2012

Page 1 of 2