Guaranteed Delivery
113 Members and 16951 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

SHELLAC vs. HARMONY GELISH---which do you like better and why?

Started 1329048173.483 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1333464980.667 by Fergiebaby

I want to purchase either the shellac or the harmony gelish(sold at sally's) so I can do my nails at home.

I had two manicures done with the harmony gelish. When they removed it at the salon, the nail tech really filed down my nail polish before having me soak in acetone.

I don't know why but that filing is like fingernails on a chalk board to me!

He then buffed my nails after removal and before appllying a new gelish manicure.

When I tried taking this gelish manicure off my myself using 100% pure acetone, soaking cotton balls and putting tin foil over them and sitting, it took about an hour!

Now I didn't scuff up my nails at first but then realized that I had better do something because the mani was not coming off!

after all this, there is still a coating on my nails that will probably only come off with buffing :(

sooooooo.......... I am asking for opinions before I purchase anything.

Is the shellac either to use? I believe you can use shellac base coat and top coat and whichever polish you want in between(either gelish or shellac).

thanks so much for your help.

45, Fair, dry, sensitive skin, DSPW, yellow and neutral undertones, Cannot use "cones" high in ingred. deck, natural blonde wavy hair, blue eyes

Page 1 of 1
blossomgirl1329062556.6432591 PostsRegistered 1/27/2011

Shellac does not have to be filed off. If you place acetone soaked cotton pads on your nails, the polish will flake off within about five minutes. The polish is thinner and esier to apply. Gelish is thicker and more like applying gel.

rebel1329064934.5275467 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

thank you so much for your response!!

i think the shellac is the way to go for me. i hope it wears as well as the gelish!

i am going to try applying acetone again today to see if i can get the last bit of this stuff off my nails!

45, Fair, dry, sensitive skin, DSPW, yellow and neutral undertones, Cannot use "cones" high in ingred. deck, natural blonde wavy hair, blue eyes

rebel1329134242.055467 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

bump

cassiem1329232542.586853 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I do find that the gelish is harder to remove, but it lasts much longer for me. The shellac didn't even make 2 weeks on me, but the gelish was still going strong 4 weeks later. I also found with continued use that the shellac would start peeling off after about a week and a half.

I'm no longer doing gel manicures at all because the acetone wrecked my nails and I worry about the UV exposure from the lights.

catlvr1329232796.845829 PostsRegistered 5/5/2005

I had a Gelish manicure done in September and it took me until two weeks ago to grow out/get the last bits off. I tried everything but I did not want to file on the nail.

Never again.

catlvr

PS It was a beautiful and hardwearing manicure.

Last edited on 2/14/2012

Last edited on 2/14/2012

sunshine871331047692.0531 PostsRegistered 3/6/2012

You can add some glycerin and water to the acetone, I find it makes removal easier and is less drying to my nails. If you serch the web you will find the ratios needed. Nails should not be harshly buffed at any point during the service. For removal you want to break the seal of the top coat only. Use a fine grit buffer and lightly buff, to just take off the shine.

I do not buff my nails before application of the system. I just make sure they are clean of debris and use the dehydrator. I have no issue with service breakdown by not buffing prior. It is important that you get a good light for curing. There are plenty of inexpenssive choices on the market but I believe it is worth the investment to spend a bit more when it comes to the light. Undercuring can potentialy lead to allergy issues and will result in less wear time.

LipstickDi­va1331050718.6439448 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

I had these gel type manicures twice. The first time with CND products and the second time with gelish. I would never have gelish done again. It didn't last on me at all, was much thicker and looked more artificial and ruined my nails underneath.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

abbeythe8th1331054912.2174299 PostsRegistered 9/2/2007

My daughter has done both as well as OPI Axxium. Shellac looked most like polish as opposed to gel nails and was the easiest to remove. OPI had the best selection of colors.

How could you go 4 weeks with the same polish? Even the palest pink would show major growth.

nicky2211331055130.83677 PostsRegistered 4/16/2010Oregon

I have solar nails since x-mas and love them. I had them done with my daughter and she also loves hers. Because these are solar and will not flake off, she can have them at work. My daughter likes to change colors every three weeks so it needs to be darker, but the blue sparkle she has now is really nice. We get a fill every three weeks. Next time she is going lighter so she will have to have them soaked, but it is the first time. I am boring, I love the french manicure, so I never change. We love, love, love our nails and they look so nice and are very hard and have never even chipped once in three months. They really do look just as nice three or four weeks out as day one. Only the grow out shows, again mainly on my daughter because her color is darker.

PS - I told my husband this was a bad stocking stuffer for us, because his x-mas stocking stuffer has now turned into, Valentine's day, Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, St. Patrick's day and Easter suffers. I am sure it will run into Fourth of July also. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Last edited on 3/6/2012

Last edited on 3/6/2012

**When I was a child I liked to have Tea Party's with my imaginary friends. Now that I am grown up, I drink coffee and know what is real and what is fake***

cassiem1331067754.7276853 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I find that the Gelish lasts longer (3 weeks for me), but is harder to get off and harder on the nails. Shellac doesn't even last a full week on me.

Shelbelle1331069486.9335243 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Would not use either, they will ruin your real nails.

CelticCraf­ter1331075433.0171292 PostsRegistered 11/9/2004
On 3/6/2012 Shelbelle said:

I just spent the last 5 months growing out the damage from years and years of all gel manicures. Never again will I have any of that stuff on my nails.

The only reason I stopped was because it was becoming a chore, I no longer enjoyed it.

Nice having that extra bit of $ in my pocket every 3 weeks.

The prettiest smiles hide the deepest secrets.
The prettiest eyes have cried the most tears.
The kindest hearts have felt the most pain.
Unknown

Katharita1331087534.436692 PostsRegistered 11/19/2008Hooterville, Texas
On 3/6/2012 CelticCrafter said:

I just spent the last 5 months growing out the damage from years and years of all gel manicures. Never again will I have any of that stuff on my nails.

The only reason I stopped was because it was becoming a chore, I no longer enjoyed it.

The OP is asking about gel POLISH, which is not the same thing as gel NAILS. The nail is not damaged by gel polish.

Rebel - - - I think you already know that I prefer the Shellac to Gelish because of the difficulty removing the Gelish.

I do want to throw in that I've used the Red Carpet Gel Manicure products that Ulta is carrying now, and they're great! My mani lasts just as long as with Shellac, it costs less, and the Red Carpet products can be mixed and matched with Shellac products. Removing the Red Carpet is just as easy as removing Shellac.

Last edited on 3/6/2012

Last edited on 3/6/2012

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrowmindedness."- Mark Twain ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Citychic1331089261.8610 PostsRegistered 9/20/2010
On 3/6/2012 Katharita said:
On 3/6/2012 CelticCrafter said:

The OP is asking about gel POLISH, which is not the same thing as gel NAILS. The nail is not damaged by gel polish.

Rebel - - - I think you already know that I prefer the Shellac to Gelish because of the difficulty removing the Gelish.

I do want to throw in that I've used the Red Carpet Gel Manicure products that Ulta is carrying now, and they're great! My mani lasts just as long as with Shellac, it costs less, and the Red Carpet products can be mixed and matched with Shellac products. Removing the Red Carpet is just as easy as removing Shellac.

Last edited on 3/6/2012

Well, Katharita I have to disagree with your comment that gel polish does not ruin your nails. I have had gel and shellac manicures over the last year. And yes, the end result is your nails do get weak, dry and split as if you had acrylics on or gel nails. Maybe it has not ruined your natural nails yet, But is sure ruined mine. I have went back to regular polish because it was not worth the damage it caused. In fact, I have been using nailtek to nurse them back to their original state. The nail tech where I get them done admitted to me that you need to take a break from gel or shellac because it will make them weak with repeated use. While I loved the long lasting shine, and no chips for 3 weeks it was at a cost. User beware...

City

Last edited on 3/6/2012

Last edited on 3/6/2012

Shelbelle1331127994.6335243 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I believe it is the soaking the gel polish off in acetone that will ruin your nails, so I still stand by my earlier comment , I would never get a gel manicure. In fact, my manicurist advises me against it.

Shelbelle1331128043.84335243 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

You can try the new Revlon Colorstay Polish as a safer alternative.

ReikiLady1331131874.17805 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004MA.

I love my shellac. I just had my 3rd one removed----easy as anything. I decided just to get a regular manicure, and wish I had shellac on. Makes my nails take anything.

Fergiebaby1333464980.6631 PostsRegistered 4/3/2012

I have been getting a coat of gel and then Sellac for almost a year. After reading everything I could get my hands on I am going to do the Harmony Gelish myself. From what I read the gelish is not as hard on your nail bed. I was spending $100 a month on a mani-pedi and the pedi was just regular polish. I purchased a good light ($100) and got some UV gloves cause I plan on making my friends guinea pigs too. I am gonna try my first attempt this afternoon. I did order some clear gel in case one breaks and I need to extend. They have these little finger things that you can put the cotton with acetone on your nails and put these little plastic tips on to hold it and then scrape with an orange stick. I also did not like soaking in acedtone so I don't think this will be as bad. Will let everybody know how it goes after my big attempt this afternoon. If this works I might start doing shut ins in my area because it's just a polish. I live in a very rural area in NW FL and older people want to look pretty too.

Page 1 of 1