Better Than Black Friday
87 Members and 15950 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Women shaving their faces

Started 1328936012.203 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1329438967.67 by bluegnu63

I was at a private pilates studio with my BBF's. We spend an hour getting some serious girl talk and exercise in.

So the topic comes up of women using a razor to shave their faces...and ohhhh yeah all my girl friends seem to do this. They say it makes their skin softer and exfoliates and helps with acne. They do it only once or twice a month. It wasn't really so much about the hair thing but that was part of it.

Anyone else do this?

Page 1 of 2
BellaCarro1328936248.928358 PostsRegistered 10/1/2011Atlanta

Almost did not answer, but, yes. About 1-2x/month for me, too. I have very light hair and not enough to wax but sometimes too much to tweeze. Ick.

ThinkOutsi­deTheBox1328936310.4771653 PostsRegistered 1/23/2011
Once I hit my forties, I had to start using the trimmer on pach fuzz everywhere on my face at least once a week. It definitely makes for a smoother makeup application, but I don't know about the shaving with a blade thing.

Karenk1328936336.4131660 PostsRegistered 6/7/2010

I use an electric shaver on my face about twice a month. Once the peach fuzz is removed my makeup applies much more smoother, plus I get dark chin hairs and hairs above my lip. I used to have them waxed but they come back a week later so now I either just pluck them or shave them off. Also, if you do shave your face the hair will NOT grow back darker and thicker. I've been doing this for years. I rear of lots of people on the board that do the same thing.

Anne0011328936533.1871767 PostsRegistered 2/1/2008NE

While I do understand the benefits for men's skin from shaving, I just can't quite get behind the idea of making DH stand in line until I finish. Nor, do I want to discuss the merits of the different brands of shaving cream with him. It would weird him out too much. And, I couldn't stand it if I had to hear "You missed a spot". LOL So, I'll stay with my girly routines and products. I want that me time.

Chicklet and Cult Member

Karenk1328936626.691660 PostsRegistered 6/7/2010

I would NEVER use a razor blade. Use an electric shaver. I use the forever free from QVC. Works Great!

BellaCarro1328936658.198358 PostsRegistered 10/1/2011Atlanta
On 2/10/2012 Anne001 said:

While I do understand the benefits for men's skin from shaving, I just can't quite get behind the idea of making DH stand in line until I finish. Nor, do I want to discuss the merits of the different brands of shaving cream with him. It would weird him out too much. And, I couldn't stand it if I had to hear "You missed a spot". LOL So, I'll stay with my girly routines and products. I want that me time.

Oh, believe me, I do not advertise this at home! Nobody knows or has ever seen me do it. It's just a few swipes in private in the shower. Like I said-Ick.

ThinkOutsi­deTheBox1328937293.1471653 PostsRegistered 1/23/2011
anne001 and bellacarro.....LOL! I totally understand. I cringe every time my husbands catches me using the trimer on my face!

Spunkyspou­ts1328937668.7537229 PostsRegistered 11/19/2008miami

I am behind you on this, even it is OK, it is in my mind. I am going to just get a NONO.

BellaCarro1328937872.1038358 PostsRegistered 10/1/2011Atlanta
On 2/10/2012 angelsareout said:

I am behind you on this, even it is OK, it is in my mind. I am going to just get a NONO.

EEK, they're $250. If I had a lot of hair and dark I sure would, though. As it is, it's just a tiny little bit of peach fuzz that probably only bothers me.

juncus1328938469.307837 PostsRegistered 5/4/2005

I remember reading that some very famous beauty used to do this every day -- I think it was Marilyn Monroe (or someone of her caliber). So you are in good company!

Shelbelle1328982758.68335100 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I use a disposable razor about once a month and lightly run it down the sides of my face, never any irritations.

PirateEye1328983003.82658 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007near Seattle, WA

I've used a razor twice.....I'm afraid of cutting my lip off though. I have some almost white hairs that I want gone from my upper lip. I used the threader coil thingy 2 weeks back and I'm still recovering - I will NEVER use that method again on my sensitive skin.

So a razor seems more and more like a good idea.

ValentineK­isses1329033002.01329 PostsRegistered 9/1/2010Front Royal, Virginia

I do it! I don't have noticeable facial hair like some women can get (where it crossed into guy facial hair territory), but I of course have those fine, barely seen hairs on my face that everyone has. I have dark brown hair on my head, so my body hair is also the same (obviously) and some areas are more noticeable than others (but only close-up). I'm not a fan of body hair, so I do shave my face about once or twice a month using a razor. I just wet my face, but a tiny bit of Philosophy Purity Made Simple on my face (just to give my skin some slip), and get it done.

It absolutely makes my skin smoother and makes my makeup go on so much better. It does help with my acne too. I find when I keep up with shaving my face I break out a LOT less. Sometimes I forget about shaving my face (since you can't notice it unless you are in bright light - like bright daylight - and looking in a magnifying mirror). But I love to do it because I can see and feel the benefits.

xoxox with love & beauty,
Crystal from the Valentine Kisses beauty blog

doglover31329033586.469890 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

our family doctors wife is a derm doctor and he said she shaves her face as well as all his her office and his. He said this is why you don't see all or as many wrinkles on men as you do on the ladies, shaving is a natural exfoliant without using harsh products on your face. Most men you see only have lines or wrinkles around their eyes or on their foreheads he said. He too said there is no reason not to shave your faces but you don't have to do it every day as the men do of course, 3 times a week is what his wife and office staff do.

ThinkOutsi­deTheBox1329039418.341653 PostsRegistered 1/23/2011
Angelsareout...please do not waste your money on the No No. I bought one and it is a piece of poo! What they don't show you on TV is that the only way to use the thing without burning the poo out of yourself is to use it on a perfectly flat surface (ie. not your face around the mouth and on the chin). If the angle of use to your skin is not perfect at all times, the NoNo cartridge BOUNCES up and down constantly, failing to make contact properly. However, when it is bouncing, it is far more likely to burn your skin for some reason. I tried it for a week, burnt my lip area twice and gave up. I also used it on my legs, and it does a p-poor job of removing hair in general, let alone permanently.

AuntieBee1329052325.7862 PostsRegistered 12/30/2011
On 2/10/2012 BellaCarro said:

Almost did not answer, but, yes. About 1-2x/month for me, too. I have very light hair and not enough to wax but sometimes too much to tweeze. Ick.

How can you get away with once a month? How come you don't have five o'clock stubble the very next day, like guys? I have often been tempted to shave, but don't want to have to do it every day. Does women's lip hair grow more slowly than men's? I am sick of waxing!

ninjawife1329054430.633317 PostsRegistered 11/15/2011

I just it yesterday. Not only does it get rid of unwanted hair but I find it very exfoliating. I got the idea when I heard Caroline Manzo on RHWNJ say she does it after someone complimented her on her great skin.

Montana1329054838.661634 PostsRegistered 7/1/2005
On 2/11/2012 PirateEye said:

I used the threader coil thingy 2 weeks back and I'm still recovering - I will NEVER use that method again on my sensitive skin.

So a razor seems more and more like a good idea.

I didn't like the Bellabe either. It left little scabs all over my chin and stimulated my hair follicles so that I had even more chin hairs.

I prefer shaving but can't find the right combination of shaver, shaving cream, and technique to make it work. Shaving never made my hair grow back thicker or coarser, but it did irritate my skin.

I have used various disposable razors. Maybe an electric one would work better?

Vamp1329055022.61711875 PostsRegistered 3/9/2007

I do it! Also 1-2x per month, ever since I started getting menopausal peach fuzz. Just a few quick swipes takes care of the issue. No big deal.

dionline1329056702.7932315 PostsRegistered 1/6/2008Central Florida

I've been doing this for years! My make-up goes on beautifully without that bit of peach fuzz. It's so easy with a razor, I don't know if I'd pay for anything more expensive. Since we don't have men's hormones (or the same amount they do) we don't get five-o'clock shadows or the heavy regrowth.

Iwantcoffee1329057206.142821 PostsRegistered 11/28/2006

You don't have to talk with him about it or do it when he is in the bathroom. I've never discussed it with my husband or shaved when he is in the bathroom.

While shaving your face my seem manly, so is a hairy face.

Reiss19801329057437.048218 PostsRegistered 4/15/2011Central NJ /Freehold// Long island NY

{#emotions_dlg.glare} Somehow... I cannot imagine MM shaving her face...Or any other Movie star like her. I would imagine the hair comes in darker and coarser when you shave it{#emotions_dlg.confused1}!

A wagging tail .... and licks a plenty.. Not to mention a buddy for life! Adopt a dog or cat ..SAVE A LIFE!

BernieH1329058372.26803 PostsRegistered 8/26/2007

You gals must be the lucky ones who didn't have re-growth like a man from shaving your faces...A girlfriend of mine wasn't happy with the dark hairs on her arms or face and shaved both, and after awhile she ended up with stubble and dark re-growth just like a man....She is so disgusted that this happened. I told her not to do it....I reminded her, that prior to shaving her legs for the very first time, that the hair may have been dark, but it was soft, not rough stubble. I'm glad it worked out for you ladies,....but when I hear razor, or shaver for a woman's face, I remember my friend....Just My Experience, that I witnessed first hand.

Madisson1329058576.4972449 PostsRegistered 10/13/2011SoCal

QVC sells a product like epilady just for the face. You know, it yanks the hairs out by the root so that it does not grow back quickly.

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

AngelPuppy11329058910.98799 PostsRegistered 5/26/2008

No. I think everyone has a little bit of peach fuzz on their face but it's usually not that noticeable. As I've aged, of course I get the hairs on the lip line and chin. I use tweezers. Yes, it's a pain, but other methods have irritated my skin too much. I just make this a part of my routine every morning so it really doesn't take much time.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin.

Page 1 of 2