Shoes & Handbags Offers
172 Members and 12723 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Shea Butter....on eyes???

Started 1261440844 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1262383051 by Love2Laugh
Has anyone ever used 100% Shea Butter on the eye area???
--
"Life is like a pathway of pure untrodden snow. Be careful how you step in it for every mark will show"
fair skin/cool/pink undertones, blue eyes, dk strawberry blond hair

In my 40"s light skintone-cool/pink undertones, super senistive/acne prone, some discoloration,large pores,blue eyes dark strawberry blond hair

Page 1 of 1
PerriTwin112614415404770 PostsRegistered 11/19/2006
> Has anyone ever used 100% Shea Butter on the eye
> area???
>
As a matter of fact, I tried it last night... well, I used Avon's Spa Planet African Shea Butter Intensive foot and elbow creme with AHA. I don't know if it's 100% shea butter... I wanted something really rich and thought I'd try it for fun. Nothing bad happened... so, I guess it's ok to use???

Abrowneyeg­irl1261441930898 PostsRegistered 12/7/2009PA
I use L'Occitane 100% Shea Butter on my eyes and lips in the winter months at night and before I go outside to prevent chapping. My eyes tend to tear in the wind and snow glare and I will get 'chapped' /wind-burned areas in the corners of my eyes. The best thing is the shea butter does not run into your eyes when your eyes tear.
--
Wishing you health and happiness.

beanly12614431282949 PostsRegistered 1/17/2006
Thank you....I have been reading some articles online about the benefits of using 100% pure shea butter to help the syptoms of dermatitis/eczema....I just ordered the small tin form drugtore.com...going to give it a try.....Have a bad case of dermatitis on my lids and awaiting my prescription to arrive, but all my eye creams are burning when I apply them....hope this helps.
--
"Life is like a pathway of pure untrodden snow. Be careful how you step in it for every mark will show"

In my 40"s light skintone-cool/pink undertones, super senistive/acne prone, some discoloration,large pores,blue eyes dark strawberry blond hair

Abrowneyeg­irl1261445568898 PostsRegistered 12/7/2009PA
Oh beanly, you have my sympathy. I have had the same problem, I remember how painful it was.
Mine was caused by eyeshadows with pink pigments, my derm. said this is a very common allergen. !?!?! who knew!
My tip- warm the shea by rubbing between your fingers until very soft and PAT onto your sore lids. I found it to be very soothing. Good luck!
--

FlyersGirl1261447098307 PostsRegistered 7/24/2005
I always use 100% pure shea butter on my eye lids and under my eyes. Right now I am using Brown Earth, but I have used Lather and other brands. I buy brands that are not scented...there are brands that use a lavendar scent....ewwww. I use it day and night, although I use a very light coat for daytime....shea is so moisturizing it tends to "melt" makeup...you don't want raccoon eyes, lol.
Hope it works well for you!
Cindy

cerinthe12614736372608 PostsRegistered 7/12/2005
I have! I used to do it allll the time, but now mostly in winter as a final 'pat'/'seal in' step. I do use it year round at night on my neck to 'seal in' moisture there. My favorite shea butter to use on the face is sold by Shea Terra Organics under the name 'Nilotica' shea butter. This is a different species of shea nut tree than what we commonly see and it is hard to find, imo. Shea Terra Organics sells both. Everything labeled 'shea butter' is the typical west african species. 'Nilotica' is the east african species (I hope I got that right.) Anyhow, typical shea is thick and 'hard', but the nilotica is significantly softer, melts faster at body temp and just melts into the skin quickly and feels less 'heavy' to me. The ONLY area I don't use nilotica on is the lips, where I strongly prefer the thicker heavier typical shea butter.
Whatever you choose, I use only light coats on my normal/dry skin on the face. I melt it thoroughly in my hands (!!!) and then pat pat pat pat a light layer around the eyes with my fingertips and on my cheeks with the underside of my fingers or occasionally the palm of my hands. I then stroke the remainder ALL over my neck all the way down. As I look at more neck creams and how rich and emollient they are, I use the 100% shea more and more- I think its superior. Its rich in vitamin E naturally, and really what our skin needs is to stay out of the sun and keep moisture in. I think that's why our moms looked so great- they stayed out of the sun and tended to use heavy mineral oil rich products like petroleum and mineral oil, which form a serious barrier and keep water from leaving the skin. I prefer shea butter to those petroleum products.
I don't wear makeup mostly, so I'm not sure how the shea butter will react to all of that. I only use it at night. I use the 100% Pure line of facial creams/serums on my face both night and day and use the shea butter (nilotica) as I feel needed on my face as a last step (only in winter!) However I always use it on the neck, its economical and I feel just as effective.
I have never gotten milia (sp?) from shea. However philosophy's eye cream gave me my first, only and worst case of those a while back. I removed a few (scarred the area,) and had the dermatologist remove the rest. (About 8 total!)
And yes, I totally agree that shea butter (and feel free to go thicker and use the normal type for this particular situaton, but still premelt in hands,) is best for preventing and treating windburn. I got such damage to my face from (icy!) windburn, and coating my face up with shea was the ONLY thing that not only prevented it, but healed it.
Beanly I hope you feel better soon!!
--
Edited by cerinthe at 12/22/2009 12:28 AM PST

Last edited on 12/22/2009

Desertdi126148114215714 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun
Why not? A couple months ago, people were swearing by Crisco!

beanly12614924582949 PostsRegistered 1/17/2006
> I use L'Occitane 100% Shea Butter on my eyes and lips
> in the winter months at night and before I go outside
> to prevent chapping. My eyes tend to tear in the
> wind and snow glare and I will get 'chapped'
> /wind-burned areas in the corners of my eyes. The
> best thing is the shea butter does not run into your
> eyes when your eyes tear.
>
> --
> Wishing you health and happiness.
I ordered the L'occitane tin (small) to try..it is not scented is it??
--

luvmymonst­er1261492703654 PostsRegistered 11/21/2007Warner Robins Georgia
I like pure unrefined shea butter. It's pretty cheap on the internet too! It has a slightly smoky, nutty scent. It's a little on the solid and chunky side, you have to melt it between your fingers before you can smooth it on. It hasn't clogged up my pores and it's natural and very moisturizing. I'd try it if I were you, you may find it'll help or solve your problem. Best of luck!
--
Hopelessly Hopeful!
Mom to a beautiful little boy and 3 feline fur babies!
The measure of love is to love without measure!

Fair oily skin, hazel blue/green eyes, natural blond The measure of love is to love without measure. Mom to a beautiful little boy and 3 feline fur babies.

Nascarfan4812615051131525 PostsRegistered 9/6/2009
>
> I ordered the L'occitane tin (small) to try..it is
> not scented is it??
>
> --
I use the L'occitane shea butter and it has no odor. I've used it under my eyes and all over my face when really dry. works great for me. just melt between your fingers and pat onto skin.

sheltielvr1261505252628 PostsRegistered 6/26/2005
great idea, I hadn't thought about using Shea Butter on eyes...however, it is great for everything else

Live long and prosper!

beanly12623762012949 PostsRegistered 1/17/2006
I have been using the shea on my lids for about 3 days now and have to say, the dermatitis is not as itchy and the area is not as red. Still waiting on my prescription cream to come..it was mailed 12/22,,,no sign of it..think it is lost in space :)....Mail Order pharmacy says have to wait until 1/9 before they will re-send item..ughh....in the meantime, will keep applying my L'Occtiane shea butter...love the feel of it!! Thanks ladies!
--

kal12623765912440 PostsRegistered 8/4/2007
I buy shea butter at a local street fair every year (really cheap) and use it on hands/arms/feet/legs/under my eyes.
Works great on my dry skin/tendency to exzema and no side effects.

Madison5111262377828316 PostsRegistered 2/16/2007
Yes I always do...I use the shea butter blend from Garden of Wisdom...it is areound 9 dollars for I think 2 oz. ...it is a mix of East and West Shea butter and Grapeseed oil....wonderful!!!

Luv7Gypsies1262382841560 PostsRegistered 3/26/2005
I have been using this brand for several years and absolutely love it. Great bargain and the jar lasts forever.
http://www.afrikanrepublic.com/pd_16oz_afrikan.cfm
I have been using it around my eyes for a long time. Works great especially in the winter. Love it in my hair too.

Love2Laugh12623830514892 PostsRegistered 1/13/2005
Yes, I have, and it was wonderful. I don't know why I have bought into all the hype of eye products.
I started using it about 5 years ago, and then got a little side-tracked.
Perhaps it is time to go back.
--
O S/R N W - oily, sensitive, acne-prone, dehydrated skin

Page 1 of 1