TSV(R) Preview
90 Members and 12311 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

QVC's Beautiful Women of Color--February Dialogue

Started 1328142116.007 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1330792584.707 by Tina W

Hi--As suggested on the other thread, this is the February edition of our ongoing discussion. We'll restart it every month to control the size and keep it easy to read.

In memory of Don Cornelius today, "Love, peace and soul..."

American College of Sports Medicine Certified Personal Trainer

Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 4 ...6Next
vonIam1328144984.223489 PostsRegistered 2/15/2009

Don Cornelius, how sad. I can still remember how I always looked forward to Soul Train and having the loudest mouth in the house when it came to saying "Love, peace and Soulllll".

LA Trainer-I'm here {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}. Glad to hear that this discussion will be restarted every month. It will make things much easier.

LA Trainer1328146198.9031511 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004Los Angeles, CA

Hi-Naleiarenee just posted on the old thread that BET is airing a Soul Train special right now. I'm going to watch it, but it will probably be available at their web site if you miss it. Glad they're giving Don his props.

nycbiggurl1328152278.93627 PostsRegistered 5/29/2010
On 2/1/2012 LA Trainer said:

Hi-Naleiarenee just posted on the old thread that BET is airing a Soul Train special right now. I'm going to watch it, but it will probably be available at their web site if you miss it. Glad they're giving Don his props.

I watched the special is was a nice tribute to him and all he did to get Soul Train on the air.

naleiarenee1328157886.721620 PostsRegistered 7/29/2011OhIo

The special on BET tonite was fantastic ! I loved watching all the great dancing ,and wow the clothes and hair! What a wonderful tribute !!!! I miss Soul Train.RIP Don.

I'm looking forward to a new month with yall Wink !

Love,Peace,and Soul !!

Dattie1328165443.2077452 PostsRegistered 12/1/2007Originally from the "Buckeye" state, Ohio. Alabama.

Hello Beautiful Women of Color. LA Trainer, you did it! I missed the tribute to Don Cornelius. So sad. It was great seeing the outfits and the dancing, and he was a genius with his forward thinking.

I'm surprised more of you aren't jumping on that Jennifer Hudson melt down thread, but I guess you don't want to entertain the chaos. There are some positive reviews, but they are are far and few in between. My pet peeve is for someone to diss someone in my race.

PBJ, we hope your pc is working now. Cresm8r you are missed, Latonya.. Wendy Williams will have a new line on QVC. She had one of the top selling hosts on her show tonight and she will be showing Wendy's collection on Friday I thought she said. MJBlige is on tomorrow night I think.

No beauty here to report. Now who is going to keep this thread going each month? Ladies, feel free to start the thread. Have a great week.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Last edited on 2/2/2012

Jennifer

PBJ1328179311.2376821 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007

Hey ebveryone! Computers still at shopp. Assured it would be few days but its been over a week. Going over there today. Hard ti type on phone and cant correvt mistakes, lol. Like monthly thread. Hoping to be back this week or even today. Take care

RIP Don Cornelious. Missed BET speciak. Hope it replays. I DVR Soyl Train almost everday.

Poor but Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LA Trainer1328204940.0731511 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004Los Angeles, CA

Hi Dattie--I did comment on the Jennifer Hudson thread on our old one, which was read by over 3500 needlessly curious lurkers.

Jennifer looks fit and healthy, and Weight Watchers is obviously happy with her. All of the snarky comments in the world can't take her success away, regardless of their motivation. Next...

Hi PBJ--Good to see you! Hope the computer is fixed soon. How is your fitness progressing?

Hi Vonlam--I didn't like some of what I saw on in the Biggest Loser house this week. I'm probably going to stop watching this season. What do you think?

Happily, I'm having a great week at the gym with clients, and I'm walking the talk with you. Keep moving!

Dattie1328239474.4377452 PostsRegistered 12/1/2007Originally from the "Buckeye" state, Ohio. Alabama.
On 2/2/2012 Tina W said:

Hi Everyone,

I was so sad to hear about Don C. passing on. I am not sure of the suicide or not. But I am certain of his impact on our lives and his legacy. I recall not wanting to go anywhere on the weekend until I watch an episode of Soul Train. I loved watching the dancers as much as the performers. I got to see Foster Sylvers for the first time. He was my junior high school starstruck crush. Wow! He will be missed and treasured for his wonderful gift.

Jennifer Hudson is doing it. Haters go on get moving on a treadmill and you might look as good as my girl JH. She is a good spokeperson as she has maintained the weight loss and has been a true role model as show us how this is lifestyle change and not a diet. I am sure it will be a lot on the forums when WW has her jewelry debut tomorrow. I really get tired but then I remember how ignorant and scared people are when it comes to us and others.

I've been laying low still not back to myself. I tried to walk a little but my side still hurts at time and I get out of breath sooner.

Be and stay blessed. I gave my notice and I'm starting to pack my boxes for our move to VA. Sorry it took me so long to check in. I like the new restart each month.

Hi Tina W, great hearing from you. I am glad to hear you are getting better. You are in our prayers. We wish you the best on your move and new adventure in VA.

Oh my, now we have to see the ugly remarks about the jewelry. Wendy is showing her jewelry on QVC Friday I think with the top seller Lisa Roberts. She was on her show last night.

Have a good week, ladies.

Jennifer

Dattie1328240076.8977452 PostsRegistered 12/1/2007Originally from the "Buckeye" state, Ohio. Alabama.
On 2/2/2012 LA Trainer said:

Hi Dattie--I did comment on the Jennifer Hudson thread on our old one, which was read by over 3500 needlessly curious lurkers.

Jennifer looks fit and healthy, and Weight Watchers is obviously happy with her. All of the snarky comments in the world can't take her success away, regardless of their motivation. Next...

Hello, I'm about sick of it myself, but this is free speech and narrow minded people using the computer for their bitterness.

I agree, next!! Have a good one. MJBlige should be on Wendy tonight if I'm not mistaken.

Jennifer

krissybell1328242941521 PostsRegistered 7/10/2010TYLER TX

I AM 62 and i used to watch Soul train. I TRIED THE OJAUN NUMBER 2. IT WAS SUPPOSE TO STAIRT YOUR HAIR OUT. IT MAY WORK FOR SOME PEOPLE/BUT NOT MINE. IT WAS SUPPOSE TO LAST FOR 22 WASHING/NOT! I HAD TO GO AND GET MY HAIR PERM LIKE I USUALLY DO; WHAT A 60.00 WASTE/SHEESH.

BJ/JUST THE WAY I AM

LA Trainer1328243361.5931511 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004Los Angeles, CA

Hi Profrobb--"There is no reality, only perception." Those "resemblances" are beyond ridiculous. Next...

Hi Tina W--Good to see you! Hope you're on the mend--take your time. Sounds like you're going to be busy in the coming days with the move.

You know that I like that suggestion to hit the treadmill! FYI, Jennifer likes to play basketball, and used that as part of her program. No one said it couldn't be fun.

Since Don Cornelius' death is a local story here, it's getting a lot of coverage. One of his sons stated that Don called him before he took his life, so unfortunately it was a suicide. Sad, sad, sad.

Hi Naleiarenee and NYCBiggurl--Glad you found the new thread. Please check in when you can.

Any ideas for Black History Month?

LA Trainer1328243624.6771511 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004Los Angeles, CA

Hi Krissybell--Don't give them your hard-earned money--send it back. The only Ojon product I ever liked is the original restorative treatment.

The next time you're in the mood to try a new product, please keep Living Proof in mind. There's nothing like it :)

Dattie1328393807.5477452 PostsRegistered 12/1/2007Originally from the "Buckeye" state, Ohio. Alabama.
On 2/2/2012 krissybell said:

I AM 62 and i used to watch Soul train. I TRIED THE OJAUN NUMBER 2. IT WAS SUPPOSE TO STAIRT YOUR HAIR OUT. IT MAY WORK FOR SOME PEOPLE/BUT NOT MINE. IT WAS SUPPOSE TO LAST FOR 22 WASHING/NOT! I HAD TO GO AND GET MY HAIR PERM LIKE I USUALLY DO; WHAT A 60.00 WASTE/SHEESH.

Good afternoon ladies, krissybell, I am sorry that happened. I have a small tin of the original Ojon treatment. I use the WEN products, so far they have worked for me. I have been natural for almost two years after having a relaxer for many years. I use the WEN Pomegranate, Lavender, Tea Tree and Ginger Pumpkin. I have some of the oils also, but basically use the Carol's Daughter oils. I hope you get some satisfaction.

Divas, it is wet and rainy here, so I am in doing housework. Have a great day and week-end.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Jennifer

LA Trainer1328405605.731511 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004Los Angeles, CA

Hi--As you might know, February is Women's Heart Month. Cardiovascular disease strikes our community more than it should, and kills more women in all demographic groups than cancer.

If you haven't had your blood pressure checked recently, please try to do so this month in an accurate fashion (i.e. not that machine at the drugstore). Remember that the recommended sodium intake for us is only 1500 mg daily, even if you're normotensive.

Restart those resolutions for better self-care if they've tapered off. For those sticking with it, keep it up! Every day, every meal, every decision adds up.

Go to www goredforwomen dot org, www hearttruth dot gov and www americanheart dot org. There is information specific to us, as well as Spanish language material.

Enjoy the weekend, including the Superbowl. Keep moving!

krissybell1328422553.497521 PostsRegistered 7/10/2010TYLER TX

WE HAVE LIVING PROOF AT OUR LOCAL ULIRA/WILL TRY. CAN YOU USE WEN WITHOUT GOING NATURAL? I HAVE SOME OF HIS SHAMPOS?

BJ/JUST THE WAY I AM

naleiarenee1328456068.1431620 PostsRegistered 7/29/2011OhIo

Hi !!

LA Trainer-I'm happy to see your post about women's heart health ! Thx for giving me some much needed motovation to get back on my treadmill + pilates !!

Krissybell-I have never tried living proof but,honey...I love Wen and have been using his products for about 15mo.I was still relaxing my hair when I got started with Wen.So, you do not have to go natural to use it.I had no idea how much more manageable my would hair become within a short time of using Wen ! So,I decided to stop with the relaxers.My hair looks better than it ever did and I did not change my style...I still like to wear my hair straight and curled a bit for bounce and body.My favorite Wen is hands down Wen 613 Cleansing Treatment ! Fig is where I started,though and is still a close 2nd ! Good luck !

icezeus1328461700.814634 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010Southern California

Hi Ladies,

This weekend, I plan on getting my hair braided. (Individuals) I want to start working out again, and the only time I like how my hair looks after a work out is with braids. I have very fine hair so I can't put a curling iron in it each morning to curl. In fact, when I am wearing my hair down, I only curl it once a week with the curling iron, and yes everyone groan with me I still roll my hair at night to get bounce.

I fully plan on returning to Wen when I come out of my braids in 2-3 months. I have to agree that my hair has never been more manageable. I saw Carol's Daughter Monoi product on HSN and I thought I would give it a try. It smelled good, but for me it just did not work. My hair was tangled and not soft like after I use the WEN products. Perhaps if I had used her items after using regular shampoo I would have been impressed. However, I would not recommend it.

jazzbabe1328463620.9472843 PostsRegistered 12/14/2007

LA Trainer - Thanks for starting this new thread and thanks for the post on heart health. I'm sorry I missed the tribute to Don C - I hope they repeat it.

Dattie - I commented on the Jennifer Hudson thread early on but I refuse to even look at that thread now - don't want to raise my blood pressure by reading hateful comments directed toward such a lovely role model.

naleiarene - 613 is my favorite wen as well - it is perfect for my dry color-treated hair.

Enjoy Superbowl Sunday!

vonIam1328469007.49489 PostsRegistered 2/15/2009

Hello Ladies,

Hope everyone is doing well.

LA Trainer-Ugh, Biggest Loser. I really wasn't feeling what was going on last week. The show is definitely taking a turn and not for the better. You should have heard me talking to the TV, "What?, Huh!, No she didn't say that and You cannot be serious".

Krissybell, I use to love the Restorative treatment. Haven't tried the new formula, afraid to.

I am also a user of Wen. Although it's not the only thing I use. I have Ojon restorative shampoo & conditioner and Carols Daughter Monoi. Once Ojon and Carols are gone I think I will only use WEN. While Restorative & Monoi both leave my hair soft and tangle free, I absolutely love the texture of my hair after using WEN. Plan to try the 613 soon. Also need to get another sample of Living Proof. Didn't really like the shampoo but there was a treatment that worked really well when it came to keeping my hair from reverting after workouts. Can't remember now what it was. LA Trainer recommended it. What was it?

This month makes two years since I've relaxed. Still in search of the perfect moisturizer. To those that are natural, what do you use?

Peace

Last edited on 2/5/2012

Last edited on 2/5/2012

LA Trainer1328482398.551511 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004Los Angeles, CA

This thread illustrates how ridiculous these stylists sound when they say "African-American hair" as if it's all the same. Different styles, textures, methods, fave products and results. Wish they'd get a clue.

Hi Naleiarenee--Good! Get back on that treadmill :) How many miles are you up to each week?

Hi Icezeus--How about this perfect SoCal weather? Since it feels like summer, I actually went curly yesterday, and have some CD Hair Milk conditioner on board (not interested in trying Monoi so far). Glad to hear that you're going to start working out again. The braids will be a convenient option.

Hi Jazzbabe (I love jazz too)--They might have some of the Don Cornelius tributes on YouTube and/or the BET web site. I saw that they had a Soul Train line in Harlem with everyone dressed retro yesterday. It looked very cool. Maybe NYCBiggurl will report in for us.

Hi Vonlam--I thought that the behavior of the players in the BL house was just awful. They were told from day one that the aqua team had a chance to return, and the resentment was unbelievable. This is the reason why I'm not using the show as a teaching tool at this point. Too much focus on personalities, not enough on weight loss and education.

I have a big one-pound jar of the original Ojon restorative treatment, and use it very sparingly. I never liked any of their other products. FYI, one of the Living Proof products that I swear by is No Frizz. It comes in fine, medium/thick or thick/coarse. There's a lot of good info on their web site, www livingproof dot com. Tina W likes it too. BTW, when you say moisturizer, do you mean a leave-in? I've never relaxed my hair because I don't always want it straight, so I might have a suggestion. Let me know.

Going to watch the game now. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday, and keep moving!

Last edited on 2/5/2012

Last edited on 2/5/2012

Dattie1328497147.4737452 PostsRegistered 12/1/2007Originally from the "Buckeye" state, Ohio. Alabama.
On 2/5/2012 jazzbabe said:

LA Trainer - Thanks for starting this new thread and thanks for the post on heart health. I'm sorry I missed the tribute to Don C - I hope they repeat it.

Dattie - I commented on the Jennifer Hudson thread early on but I refuse to even look at that thread now - don't want to raise my blood pressure by reading hateful comments directed toward such a lovely role model.

naleiarene - 613 is my favorite wen as well - it is perfect for my dry color-treated hair.

Enjoy Superbowl Sunday!

Hi, lol, me too, I think that is what raised mine again and I am trying to stay of meds for it. I have enough to take at this point. They yapped about her screaming, well if they knew her style of singing she wails out those notes, ha.

What did you guys think of half time?

Vonlam I think asked about a moisturizer. I just use the WEN for both until it runs out. I use CD's Tui and the Hair Elixir oils which I like very much.

Well, I hope your team won! Have a good week ladies.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Jennifer

LA Trainer1328552394.7271511 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004Los Angeles, CA

Hi--In follow up to my note about Women's Heart Month, I saw a commercial for Walgreen's stating that they're offering free blood pressure screenings this month, and that walk-ins were okay. If you're in there looking at makeup :), please keep this in mind.

Speaking of makeup, I picked up another CG Lip Perfection lipstick at Target yesterday. My new color is Entwined (#340). I was also fortunate enough to snag a Jason Wu skirt after most of the pieces were gone right after the store opened. The First Lady always looks so good in his clothes.

I'll offer a couple of additional thoughts about Jennifer Hudson, and then I'm going to move on. The excessively curious lurkers can just read it here:

This weight issue is tough, deep-seated, and a source of great misery for many people. Seeing Jennifer or anyone else who has conquered this graphically contradicts the belief that it can't be done, and people don't like having their beliefs challenged.

If Jennifer had been singing about paper towels, mascara or dog food, there likely wouldn't have been the same response. Inevitably, there's a certain element of shooting the messenger here for some viewers. It's easier for some people to say "I don't like her singing" than to admit that they're uncomfortable with her message of change, envy her weight loss, and feel discouraged about their own situation.

Finally, consider the demographics of the majority of the posters on this board (ever see a live audience show?) It's no surprise that there are many people here who can't relate to her music, but who cares? That's nothing new.

Jennifer is staying fit and healthy, dusting her Oscar and her 10 Grammys, enjoying her husband and her baby, shopping for new clothes, and living her life. I say rock on!

BTW, Jennifer has written a book about her weight loss struggle and success that came out last month. I just read an excerpt on Amazon which I liked, and the reviews are good. She also has an interview up at the Huffington Post web site.

I'm in the gym training and working out this afternoon. Happy Monday--keep moving!

Last edited on 2/6/2012

Last edited on 2/6/2012

naleiarenee1328553759.6531620 PostsRegistered 7/29/2011OhIo

Hey Ladies !!!

Vonlam - I have natural hair and highly recommend *authentic * Tahitian Monoi Oil ! I get mine from www.tahiti-iti.com ! It is very reasonably priced @ around $8.00 /4oz . This is my everyday go to ! It will solidify @ cold temperatures,so I keep mine in the shower...when I'm done showering its ready for whatever,body or hair ! I also like the Wen oils and Argan oil. Carols Daughter Hair Milk for curly days !

LA Trainer - I like to power walk in short spurts of 7-10 minutes 1 or 2 times per day everyday ..this way I don't sweat out my blow out {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}! I estimate that I'm getting about 4K per week .

LA Trainer1328554852.391511 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004Los Angeles, CA

Hi Naleiarenee--Power walking is good exercise, and 4K is a nice distance. I'm also happy to hear that you're doing something every day. Short bouts of exercise are an option, but it would be helpful for you to stay in your training/target heart rate for 20 minutes to increase your endurance.

Are you doing any lifting? One option might be to add that on straight days, and save the heavy cardio for curly days. I don't sweat that much, but I will say that Living Proof has basically eliminated this issue for me.

I'll look into the Monoi oil. Sounds like we might have similar hair :)

Keep up the good work!

icezeus1328583514.7174634 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010Southern California

LA Trainer- Yes we are lucky here in southern California. Tuesday we will have rain, but you can't have it perfect everyday now can we. Tomorrow I am hitting the gym for 30 minutes. My goal this week is two days. I know it sounds small to most people but it's a starting off point for me. My goal is to eventually work out four days a week.

For the lades who have used the 613 what is the difference between that product and Wen?

As for the comments on the weight watchers ad, I did not even respond. I have found through these boards that there are a lot of mean spirited, hateful, and lonely people. It's not just Jennifer, it's the hosts, it's other woman, it's the vendors. The list is never ending. I just figure that their life must be very miserable to complain about every single perceived "injustice".

There is a thread today complaining about the hosts nail color polish that they wear on air. Realy? That is what has you all twisted up in a bunch today, because of a hosts nail color.

Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 4 ...6Next