Fall Fashion Days
99 Members and 13274 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Looking for a hair spray or hair spritz that does not contain alcohol - I tried Loreals new Everpure its to scented

Started 1327326266.033 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1329029843.643 by zgirl

I am looking for a hair spray that's alcohol free, I tried Loreal's new style line Everpure hair spray the other day and the label says 100% Vegan and alcohol free but the smell is so strong I can't get past it. Its the next day and I can still smell it, smells like cocoa butter UGH! I am still searching for a hair spray that does not contain drying alcohol - if you know of any let me know Thanks

Page 1 of 1
_Not an ea­sy sale1327367648.5171661 PostsRegistered 9/2/2011

I had a patient who had tried for several months to find an 'Alcohol-Free' hair spray to no avail. Then she, through a friend, who had been using this particular brand, told her about this formulation. It is called ** "Ion"** and as far as I know, sold only at a (?) Sally's Beauty Supply. As I remember she showed me the PUMP/SPRITZ / was in a pink & white plastic container....that was three years ago. It seem like the size was 10oz. Now, it is in a BLACK & WHITE plastic Pump and I have learned it IS a good hairspray, more of a spritz. I hope that this helps you. I know from her last conversation, it is still being sold. Happy Hairspray Day to you! I believe that one of the endrocrinologists, here had advised her to use -alcohol free- because her hair was falling out due to medication allergies. Hope that this is what you are looking for in a spritz. Let me know. I'll pass on the word to others.

Marlies1327376168.09139 PostsRegistered 4/18/2006

Glad you posted about the Loreal hairspray. I just tried it last week, once, due to the very strong scent of it. My husband and I had a good laugh over it. He thought it smelled of coconuts. I should have known better with Loreal. All of their products are so strongly scented. For many years I used Giovanni L.A. because it's alcohol free but he seems to have changed his formula and now my hair sticks together too much making brushing a challenge. I tried the ION one but returned it. Can't remember why. Need to keep a product diary. I just ordered Alba and should receive this week. Not many choices out there for alcohol free. Regular hair spray dries my hair out too much.

Last edited on 1/23/2012

Last edited on 1/23/2012

Swedishmiss1327414729.6931322 PostsRegistered 8/11/2009

I've been looking for a GOOD alcohol-free hairspray for years. Giovanni L.A. is probably the best one I have tried (and I would rate it as just okay). When I use the traditional hair spray, my hair gets really dried out and lifeless looking.

Harpa1327415080.1377380 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

Sorry, I have no recommendation. I'm just here to add, then don't try NC's horsetail product! I haven't used hairspray or mousse or any such thing on my hair in years, but I wanted to try this, and the 1st ingredient was alcohol. (Don't know yet if I want to send this back.)

I think, though, I read somewhere that there are different types of alcohol used in the cosmetic industry...? Possibly ones that were not drying...? Can't remember where I read that... Or, it undergoes some kind of "purifying," or "filtration" system...? (I know, not much help!)

Okay, here's one explanation of cetearyl alcohol, but I also know that this may or not be the alcohol in hair products.

Cetostearyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol or cetylstearyl alcohol is a mixture of fatty alcohols, consisting predominantly of cetyl and stearyl alcohols and is classified as a fatty alcohol. It is used as an emulsion stabilizer, opacifying agent, and foam boosting surfactant, as well as an aqueous and nonaqueous viscosity-increasing agent. It imparts an emollient feel to the skin and can be used in water-in-oil emulsions, oil-in-water emulsions, and anhydrous formulations. It is commonly used in hair conditioners and other hair products.

Last edited on 1/24/2012

Last edited on 1/24/2012

4downthesh­ore1327416027.0832429 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007PA

WEN volumizing treatment spray is not alcohol free but it's the best "hairspray" I've ever used. It can be used as a root lifter also. It leaves a nice shine & it has a strong hold. Yet it brushes out nicely & smells like lavender. It works better than shaper or any other salon hairsprays I have used. It's not sticky like the Giovanni hairsprays (I thought they were sticky). I have short, fine hair & I only need about 3 spritzes to hold my style.

PurplePink1327416730.031129 PostsRegistered 10/29/2010

FYI generally most cosmetic brands that are originally from France will be perfumed! It is a French thing I guess, but expect their products to be heavily scented - L'Oreal has fragrance in mascaras, lipsticks,powders, hair dyes everything! So does Lancome, RoC, Dior etc etc

Marlies1327419245.997139 PostsRegistered 4/18/2006

Found a site last night that sells a few possibilities called Regreshingly Free. They offer sample/travel sizes in alcohol free hairspray. Ordered a few. Shipping is reasonable, be sure to put your zip in because it comes up Canadian at first. They are located in NC.

DiMeStoRe-­DiVa1328969742.2236 PostsRegistered 5/26/2008

Last edited on 4/15/2012

Last edited on 4/15/2012

Harpa1328977140.0777380 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

There are different types of alcohol. The ones they use in a lot of hair (and even skin) things now are not the drying ones. But you do have to know the alcohol types and read your ingredients to be sure. You would have to research; I don't have that information at the ready.

njnj1328979413.637588 PostsRegistered 8/28/2011
On 2/11/2012 Harpa said:

There are different types of alcohol. The ones they use in a lot of hair (and even skin) things now are not the drying ones. But you do have to know the alcohol types and read your ingredients to be sure. You would have to research; I don't have that information at the ready.

As far as hair sprays are concerned, the only alcohol that counts, the one that "holds", is the ethyl alcohol - listed as SD Ethanol 40-B (or sometimes 38-B), or Denatured (or Denat.) Alcohol.

So when one is looking for a hairspray free of alcohol, that's the one which shouldn't be in the ingredient list.

The fatty alcohols you have quoted above in your post #4 may or may not be present, but those are NOT the active ingredients responsible for the hold. Quite the contrary in fact.

Swedishmiss1328981623.7831322 PostsRegistered 8/11/2009
On 2/11/2012 DiMeStoRe-DiVa said:

I ordered the Giovanni La spritz I turned the bottle around and read the ingredients and the formula is not alcohol free. {#emotions_dlg.mad} GAG ! It use to be alcohol free, now its not heads up!

Aqua (purified water), SD alcohol-40B, acrylates/hydroxyester acrylates copolymer, aminomethyl propanol, *aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, *helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, *glycine soja (soybean) seed extract, *betula alba extract, *malva sylvestris (mallow) extract, *achillea millefolium extract, *chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract, *equisetum arvense extract, *lavandula angustifolia (lavender) extract, *rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, *salvia sclarea (clary) extract, *thymus vulgaris (thyme) extract, *tussilago farfara (coltsfoot) flower extract, *urtica dioica (nettle) extract, natural fragrance.

Last edited on 2/11/2012

Thanks for posting this!!

zgirl1329029843.6431028 PostsRegistered 5/5/2005
On 1/24/2012 Marlies said:

Found a site last night that sells a few possibilities called Regreshingly Free. They offer sample/travel sizes in alcohol free hairspray. Ordered a few. Shipping is reasonable, be sure to put your zip in because it comes up Canadian at first. They are located in NC.

Marlies, Please let us know how you like it!

Page 1 of 1