Share the Love
155 Members and 16323 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

My Bad Habit: Biting my inner Cheek

Started 1326246014.89 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1326614072.327 by doglover3

Iam not exactly sure why I do this, but I always catch myself biting my inner cheeks. I think its from nerves or stess. I know it can't be good for me either.

Does anyone else have this habit?

Page 1 of 2
Mypetunia1326246459.53345 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004

My husband does this as well, it's become a bad habit~ I try to gently remind him because it is NOT HEALTHY to constantly traumatize your tissue....you're asking for trouble.

It is wonderful that you are aware of this habit and you can make yourself stop! Gosh, I wish you well. We are all evolving into better people as we walk through life!!

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

depglass1326246993.70722671 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

Not this habit, but I constantly rub the tip of my tongue on the inside of my bottom teeth, to the point its sore. Yes, I think its a stress coping mechanism.

JOU2JOU1326247208.683649 PostsRegistered 6/8/2011
I work in the Dental field(32yrs) & that's a habit you need to break! It can cause cancer by constantly traumatizing the tissue. See a Dentist ASAP and see about an appliance that will help with this.

Candy1326247469.993134 PostsRegistered 8/13/2005So California

This is also my bad habit - and has been for about 50 years now. I can remember doing it when I was in my 20's and I'm now 70. I'll talk myself into stopping only to catch myself doing it again a few weeks later. I know I need to stop, but habits are hard to break.

Sister Gol­den Hair1326247529.25313771 PostsRegistered 7/18/2008

Have you ask your dentist about this? Are you teeth ok?

Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

JustWantBe­autifulSkinn1326247741.021324 PostsRegistered 11/13/2005

WOW!!! years ago, I think I started doing that when I was about 15, 16 and it got worse and worse - BAD BAD DISGUSITING HABIT

25 years and I MEAN chew AND chewed - I would CHEW on the inside of the cheeks and if I couldn't get a certain part I push my cheek with my hand

STOPPED in 2004 when I started going for SKIN tightening treatments - I honestly believed the slackened skin near the corners of my mouth were from YEARS of doing that..... pulling & tugging & twisting my mouth to get to areas

When I started doing the IPL's and SKIN TIGHTENING treatments I stopped

AND - I also had Dr's AND Dentists telling me to stop it is healthy or good AND most especially because you can infect the inside badly AND/OR cancer especially if you are a smoker -

none of that helped me to stop ALTHOUHGH in 1999 I became more aware & concious of it so I would stop when I started to chew but then do it

The ONLY thing that made me STOP was when I started the Skin Tightening & IPL's

tiamaria1326247838.0132538 PostsRegistered 7/25/2006

Glad it's not just me! This is such a habit. My dentist is always commenting to me how bitten up my insides of my cheeks are...usually my left side is worse than the right side. I am also a grinder and I wear a night guard made by my dentist to bed every night. To the poster that said there is an appliance-what type of appliance? I find myself biting all over my mouth at all times of the day so what on earth would cover the inside of your entire mouth???

My mother has this habit as well. I remember seeing her to do it even way back when I was little.

lovetosing1326247940.156023 PostsRegistered 4/3/2006

My 9 year old kept biting the inside of his cheek and then this bump appeared like a cyst. It did not go away on its own. I forgot about it and went to the orthodontist with him and they noticed it and said to have it checked out. It had been there for a few months and never went away on its own. I was nervous. So I took him to an oral surgeon and he performed surgery and removed it. Then he sent it out for a biopsy and thank God everything came back okay. I think the surgery scared my son into not biting his inner cheek anymore.

Last edited on 1/10/2012

Last edited on 1/10/2012

In the end everything will be okay, if it is not it is not the end - Jason Castro

Tassie1326251238.21428 PostsRegistered 9/11/2007Florida

OMG!!! I was at a new dentist's last week (I moved out of state) and was told that I have "white lines" on my inner cheeks due to biting my cheeks. I never knew I had this line or that I bit my cheeks. I was so surprised. The dental tech had the dentist do a cancer screening on my inner cheeks and told me that this can lead to cancer! No cancer, thank goodness. I don't know how to stop this because I really didn't know I did it! No one has ever told me that they see me do this either. I have never been told this by my previous dentists, so I wonder if it is something I just started. Oh, dear....I know there are much more serious problems to worry about, but does anyone have any suggestions as how to stop this when I don't even know when I do it???? Thanks!

CaChica1326251503.1035848 PostsRegistered 1/13/2006

I think I would have family remind me to put a piece of gum in my mouth. It sounds like some type of anxiety. I know someone that has done this for years and I think moving her lips to the side has encouraged lip wrinkles.

baby burns1326254490.8278793 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007

tassi, maybe the stree of moving, got you into this habit? when you are sitting quiet at night, chew some gum, maybe that will help you.

stevieb1326254724.03325300 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007

Not now, but I did this years ago as a teenager. Don't know how I finally broke the habit. Glad I did, and I hope you try to and are successful, OP. It really isn't good for you, as I'm sure you know, and it's nice not to have a sore mouth!

Good luck!

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice and I should have my head examined...

4doggies1326255036.8433394 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I used to do this, I would chew it on one side only (I don't know why, but only the left side) until the area was bloody. I don't know how or why I stopped, wish I could tell you, but I haven't done it in years and I don't have any inclination to. There were actually scars on the inside of my mouth, but they went away with time.

moondust1326255484.221396 PostsRegistered 1/12/2008ga
On 1/10/2012 lovetosing said:

My 9 year old kept biting the inside of his cheek and then this bump appeared like a cyst. It did not go away on its own. I forgot about it and went to the orthodontist with him and they noticed it and said to have it checked out. It had been there for a few months and never went away on its own. I was nervous. So I took him to an oral surgeon and he performed surgery and removed it. Then he sent it out for a biopsy and thank God everything came back okay. I think the surgery scared my son into not biting his inner cheek anymore.

Last edited on 1/10/2012

wow{#emotions_dlg.sad}. So HAPPY for your son and all of the family that this turned out GOOD!! Smile

I have 'noticed' my sweet niece (she is 10) doing this {#emotions_dlg.scared}and I will certainly mention this to my brother!!

I must have TMJ 'cause several times a month (more?) when I chew gum, and I DO every day, I will 'miss' and bite my tongue...HARD in the backside of my mouth, blood. OUCHY!!

Am going to the dentist next month and see what he says....

thanks as Always Ladies for 'info'......Soooo many SMART & Informed Ladies on this board!!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

smiles

Nothing is so strong as gentleness and nothing is so gentle as true strength.
Ralph W. Sockman

joy3611326256657.3812 PostsRegistered 1/10/2012

A rubber band on your wrist. Snap it whenever you chew. You'll associate the snap with pain and hopefully, will learn to stop.

monicakm1326260547.607735 PostsRegistered 4/20/2005North East Texas

I do this AND I clench my jaws (I call them hinges) {#emotions_dlg.blush} I don't grind my teeth. My mouth and teeth are painful most of the time because of this. When I get up in the morning, my mouth is soooo relaxed and isn't hurting. By the time my feet hit the floor, I'm clenching again. I know mine is a nervous type disorder. I've often wondered if biting the inside of my cheek could lead to cancer. Now I know {#emotions_dlg.scared} Clenching is my biggest problem tho and I have NO idea how to stop! Yeah, I can become aware and stop...but I'm doing it again in seconds and might not even be aware of it for minutes or hours. Depends on how pre-occpied my mind is.

Monica

Tassie1326294186.87428 PostsRegistered 9/11/2007Florida
On 1/10/2012 baby burns said:

tassi, maybe the stree of moving, got you into this habit? when you are sitting quiet at night, chew some gum, maybe that will help you.

Thanks, baby burns for your advice. I will try that. It could be the stress of moving out of state, even though it is a good thing!! I have been under many other stresses lately, too. My dad died of cancer and I was his executrix and had to take care of everything..selling his house, etc. That was very hard on me.

Subject1326294514.9411269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007
On 1/10/2012 tiamaria said:

Glad it's not just me! This is such a habit. My dentist is always commenting to me how bitten up my insides of my cheeks are...usually my left side is worse than the right side. I am also a grinder and I wear a night guard made by my dentist to bed every night. To the poster that said there is an appliance-what type of appliance? I find myself biting all over my mouth at all times of the day so what on earth would cover the inside of your entire mouth???

My mother has this habit as well. I remember seeing her to do it even way back when I was little.

I have an off bite- thus I bite my cheek on occasion when eating. Most dentists remark about my sores on the inside of my cheeks from this eating and biting my cheek. I know it is bad and I just try to eat slower so I chew more carefully. When I bite my cheeks it is a real big bite- bleeding and sore for days. I wish I could stop---- but with a cross bite that I can not fix it is not easy....

momcat1326295635.8835877 PostsRegistered 9/12/2010

I think we ALL bite the inside of our mouth at least a little bit, but certainly a very bad thing if it becomes a habit. I would hate for my mouth to be sore all the time. I'm not sure I believe the part about it could cause cancer. I bet that is a very tiny chance, if any. I've had a dentist tell me they are always on the lookout for any signs of cancer in the mouth, but I get the impression they do that check with every patient, maybe a little more with people who smoke or chew tobacco, and especially if they see something going on in your mouth that is out of the ordinary.

Let me know if you suddenly become interesting.

Brinklii1326295808.61310277 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern WI

As a dental hygienist, I can tell you that it is a very common habit. Yes...any type of chronic irritation can lead to cancer, so just keep that in mind when you find yourself doing it. This is particularly directed toward those who chew on the inside of their cheeks. Make sure there is no filling or something causing a problem.

The white line that Tassie mentioned is extremely common and benign. It does not common from chewing on the inside of your cheeks. It is associated with the bite plane (where the top and bottom teeth come together). It can come just from rubbing against the teeth where the teeth see a lot of motion. It can come from the suction action on the cheek in that location. It is not trauma the way chewing on the cheek is. In fact, it is fibrotic tissue. Fibrotic tissue is not cancerous.

Tassie ~~ Knowing what I do, and if that dentist made you pay for an oral cancer exam based on the white line (called linea alba), I would find another dentist. Some dentists just try to sell expensive oral cancer screening tests based on the patient's not knowing what is and what is not benign or cancerous. I am not badmouthing the industry, but there are bad eggs in every industry who are looking to make a few extra bucks any way they can.

A tongue has no bones, yet it is strong enough to break a heart. Be careful with your words.

JOU2JOU1326299838.45649 PostsRegistered 6/8/2011
On 1/10/2012 monicakm said:

I do this AND I clench my jaws (I call them hinges) {#emotions_dlg.blush} I don't grind my teeth. My mouth and teeth are painful most of the time because of this. When I get up in the morning, my mouth is soooo relaxed and isn't hurting. By the time my feet hit the floor, I'm clenching again. I know mine is a nervous type disorder. I've often wondered if biting the inside of my cheek could lead to cancer. Now I know {#emotions_dlg.scared} Clenching is my biggest problem tho and I have NO idea how to stop! Yeah, I can become aware and stop...but I'm doing it again in seconds and might not even be aware of it for minutes or hours. Depends on how pre-occpied my mind is.

Can I ask you a silly question? Were you a mouth breather as a child? If so place your thumb in the roof (palate) of your mouth....if the fit is snug, this could be the reason why you clench your teeth and a 3 way Saggital would help....more info to follow....want your response to my Q.

JOU2JOU1326301043.84649 PostsRegistered 6/8/2011
On 1/11/2012 newport said:

I have an off bite- thus I bite my cheek on occasion when eating. Most dentists remark about my sores on the inside of my cheeks from this eating and biting my cheek. I know it is bad and I just try to eat slower so I chew more carefully. When I bite my cheeks it is a real big bite- bleeding and sore for days. I wish I could stop---- but with a cross bite that I can not fix it is not easy....

Who told you you can't fix a cross bite? That's for sure incorrect info. I fixed mine years ago.You can wear a 3 way saggital to open one or both sides of the quadrants, braces....there are a few ways this can be corrected....don't let anyone tell you different!

CaChica1326302863.125848 PostsRegistered 1/13/2006

x

Last edited on 1/11/2012

Last edited on 1/11/2012

Subject1326379602.3711269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007
On 1/11/2012 JOU2JOU said:
On 1/11/2012 newport said:

Who told you you can't fix a cross bite? That's for sure incorrect info. I fixed mine years ago.You can wear a 3 way saggital to open one or both sides of the quadrants, braces....there are a few ways this can be corrected....don't let anyone tell you different!

I have gum recession- and they will not do braces if you have that. It will cause other problems.... like loss of teeth later. I should have had correction when I was young- but I had not dental then and it was never a consideration.

Tassie1326385019.05428 PostsRegistered 9/11/2007Florida
On 1/11/2012 Tabbychic said:

As a dental hygienist, I can tell you that it is a very common habit. Yes...any type of chronic irritation can lead to cancer, so just keep that in mind when you find yourself doing it. This is particularly directed toward those who chew on the inside of their cheeks. Make sure there is no filling or something causing a problem.

The white line that Tassie mentioned is extremely common and benign. It does not common from chewing on the inside of your cheeks. It is associated with the bite plane (where the top and bottom teeth come together). It can come just from rubbing against the teeth where the teeth see a lot of motion. It can come from the suction action on the cheek in that location. It is not trauma the way chewing on the cheek is. In fact, it is fibrotic tissue. Fibrotic tissue is not cancerous.

Tassie ~~ Knowing what I do, and if that dentist made you pay for an oral cancer exam based on the white line (called linea alba), I would find another dentist. Some dentists just try to sell expensive oral cancer screening tests based on the patient's not knowing what is and what is not benign or cancerous. I am not badmouthing the industry, but there are bad eggs in every industry who are looking to make a few extra bucks any way they can.

Thank you tabbychic for taking the time for this reply!! I have exactly what you are talking about....the white line on the plane where the teeth come together. It wasn't the dentist that mentioned it, but the dental hygenist who was cleaning my teeth. She saw this white line and then called for the dentist and asked him to give me the oral cancer screening. Yes, I did have to pay for it. So, I am not sure if the dentist just did it because she insisted, or if he perhaps thought he had better do it just as a precaution. This is the first time I have been to this dentists' office due to moving. As I said before no other dentist/hygenist has ever mentioned this to me. Thanks again for your reesponse. I appreciate it!!!

Page 1 of 2