Labor Day Weekend Clearance
167 Members and 12553 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

What is your favorite paraben-free face cleanser?

Started 1326230210.06 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1326341338.14 by luvitall

I've been using Purity Made Simple and love it. However, my husband is an integrative physician and he has recommended I avoid parabens.

Would appreciate recommendations for your favorite paraben free facial cleansers, either drug store or higher end. Especially if it's similar to Purity Made Simple.

Thank you.

Page 1 of 2
Sassenach11326232251.424496 PostsRegistered 12/3/2005

Try Nourish Cleanser by Trader Joes. It is chock full of antioxidants and no parabens. My skin loves this! $5.99 for a large container.

BellaCarro1326232698.2137942 PostsRegistered 10/1/2011Atlanta
On 1/10/2012 Sassenach1 said:

Try Nourish Cleanser by Trader Joes. It is chock full of antioxidants and no parabens. My skin loves this! $5.99 for a large container.

I've heard good things about this cleanser. What type of skin do you have? Mine is dry, esp now. I've been using Paula's Choice Resist but am running a little low. How does your skin feel after using? TIA

JOU2JOU1326233232.8649 PostsRegistered 6/8/2011

Parabens are what preserve your products, so unless you plan on using these products quickly, I would suggest a small size. Their not always written out as parabens, ie. PEG-6( this is in Crest toothpaste)

Sassenach11326233262.5074496 PostsRegistered 12/3/2005
On 1/10/2012 BellaCarro said:

I've heard good things about this cleanser. What type of skin do you have? Mine is dry, esp now. I've been using Paula's Choice Resist but am running a little low. How does your skin feel after using? TIA

I am a DSPW in Dr. Baumann's Skin Types. My skin is fairly sensitive, but I do use Retin A. My skin is dry. For a cleanser I have used Liz Earle's Cleanse and Polish for years and I love it, but I read about Trader Joe's Nourish here and tried it. I like it just as much as Liz Earle's and I love the price. Nourish is not drying at all. Just a very good, effective cleanser, with lots of very nice ingredients. My skin does not look dry or wrinkled after using it. (It did when I used Purity.) It also removed my mascara without stinging my eyes.

I wash, use Retin A, then Creme de La Mer (Expensive, but very worth it, to me). I do not wash my face in the AM. I just put Paula's Choice AHA or Isomers Vitamin C, then Devita SPF.

I love Paula's products and have used her cleanser, but I do like Nourish better.

BellaCarro1326233606.9177942 PostsRegistered 10/1/2011Atlanta

I am a DSPW in Dr. Baumann's Skin Types. My skin is fairly sensitive, but I do use Retin A. My skin is dry. For a cleanser I have used Liz Earle's Cleanse and Polish for years and I love it, but I read about Trader Joe's Nourish here and tried it. I like it just as much as Liz Earle's and I love the price. Nourish is not drying at all. Just a very good, effective cleanser, with lots of very nice ingredients. My skin does not look dry or wrinkled after using it. (It did when I used Purity.) It also removed my mascara without stinging my eyes.

I wash, use Retin A, then Creme de La Mer (Expensive, but very worth it, to me). I do not wash my face in the AM. I just put Paula's Choice AHA or Isomers Vitamin C, then Devita SPF.

I love Paula's products and have used her cleanser, but I do like Nourish better.

Thank you so much. What a great review and informed comparison. BTW, what is a "DSPW"?

tammarra1326234079.683143 PostsRegistered 9/9/2011

That Nourish sounds good, I wish I had a TJ close by. I am using the basic Clean and Clear foaming cleanser. FWIW Paula B gives it a smile.

Sassenach11326234594.9334496 PostsRegistered 12/3/2005

Thank you so much. What a great review and informed comparison. BTW, what is a "DSPW"?

Dr. Leslie Baumann wrote The Skin Type Solution, a book about skin types. There is a quiz you can take to see what type you are and what kind of products to use. She has a web site - google her. I love reading her articles. DSPW stands for Dry, Sensitive, Pigmented and Wrinkled. Sounds pretty awful, right? {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

chandeliers1326234811.784357 PostsRegistered 3/5/2008

My latest rave is Suzanne Somers Organic Facial Cleanser.

REMOVES MASCARA!!

So you can wash from hairline to chinline in one fell swoop. No need for eye makeup remover and a cleanser.

I've been using it with my clarisonic at night and just as a face wash in the am. Doesn't strip your skin.

Not only is is paraben free, it's sulfate free. It's toxic free. I bet your dr. husband would like to hear that!

older_but_­not_up1326245071.70339 PostsRegistered 6/1/2007

I've been reading about how some people like to stay away from parabens, and I was a little concerned when someone said Mario Bedescu has them since I just decided that I really like some of those products, but I'm a little naive to some of this stuff I guess. Can someone tell me what parabens are, and why we should avoid them? I feel silly for not knowing but I really just don't.

TIA

cantdrive551326252659.403899 PostsRegistered 12/4/2008

I used Purity for years, have switched to Isomers Daily Exfoliating Cleanser and it is the greatest product I've ever used. It is easily 10000 times better than Purity. It's paraben and sulfate free with fabulous little scrubby grains. I love it!

I watch for specials on Hautelook or ShopNBC.

But if Iam ever in a TJ's, I'll try the Nourish.

Sugar Peach1326253783.863270 PostsRegistered 9/10/2010

I've been using Isomers Double Duty Cleanser & love it, I also use The Body Shop's Cucumber Cleansing Cream ~ I can't find the ingredients list for this on the bottle so I'm not sure if it's paraben free or not but I'm really liking it so far.

The Nourish Cleanser sounds very good, I'll have to pick it up next time I'm at TJ's.

Sugar
@)--'--,---

luvitall1326254928.7072331 PostsRegistered 10/27/2006
On 1/10/2012 older_but_not_up said:

I've been reading about how some people like to stay away from parabens, and I was a little concerned when someone said Mario Bedescu has them since I just decided that I really like some of those products, but I'm a little naive to some of this stuff I guess. Can someone tell me what parabens are, and why we should avoid them? I feel silly for not knowing but I really just don't.

TIA

WELCOME to the boards older_but_not_up! While Parabens are everywhere and difficult to avoid entirely, there are many research studies that indicate that Parabens mimic the hormone estrogen which is does in fact fuel breast cancer...it is also said that parabens that are absorbed through the skin do so at 10x the amount taken in through other means, so it is suggested that it should be avoided completely. If you google parabens you will find lots of info. HTH!

Irshgrl312­011326256973.1614173 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

There is absolutely not one single study that shows that parabens cause cancer. They are in over 70% of our cosmetics and skincare and they are preservatives that keep our products from developing fungus and bacteria rendering those products dangerous to use. They are less irritating on the skin than most other preservatives.

Here is some more info.

<h3 class="divSubHeaderText" style="display: inline; font-size: 12px; margin-bottom: 0px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 15px;"> Parabens are Important!</h3>

Whether it is a cleanser, lotion, toner, blush, foundation, or mascara, without preservatives these everyday items would become overloaded with bacteria, mold, and fungus, making them harmful to skin, eyes, and mucous membranes. However, as necessary as preservatives are to the safety of cosmetics, they've had their share of woes over the years. In the ‘90s the concern was about formaldehyde–releasing preservatives; today parabens are the new pariah in the world of cosmetics. But do parabens deserve their bad, media-fueled reputation?

<h3 class="divSubHeaderText" style="display: inline; font-size: 12px; margin-bottom: 0px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 15px;"> Should You Avoid Parabens?</h3>

In a word, no. Despite the media frenzy surrounding parabens, the published research and global cosmetic regulatory organizations are making that answer clear: parabens, especially in the small amounts used in personal-care products, do not pose a significant health risk. There is no legitimate reason for consumers to avoid cosmetic products that contain parabens. According to these studies, parabens are "fully metabolized before they enter the blood stream." In a review of the estrogenic activity of parabens, the author concluded that based on maximum daily exposure estimates, "it was impossible that parabens could increase the risk associated with exposure to estrogenic chemicals."

Mostly the paraben issue is overwrought and overhyped with lots of misleading information, but if you choose to avoid these ingredients a quick look at the ingredient label on any cosmetic will give you that option. Parabens may come in the form of butylparaben, ethylparaben, isobutylparaben, methylparaben, or propylparaben, and they have been linked distantly (meaning in limited studies and with only a handful of subjects or animal studies) to breast cancer due to their weak estrogenic activity and their presence in a tiny number of breast cancer tissue samples. That cancer connection, however distant, and the media firestorm surrounding parabens, has some people worried. Regardless of what you decide about parabens, you should know that there is no research proving parabens should be avoided when you shop for personal-care products for yourself or your family. Read on to learn more about parabens and the controversy surrounding their use.

<h3 class="divSubHeaderText" style="display: inline; font-size: 12px; margin-bottom: 0px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 15px;"> Parabens vs. Other Natural Ingredients</h3>

We often think of plants as being benign and cast suspicion only on synthetic ingredients (often misbranded as "chemicals" when in fact every ingredient is composed of chemicals), but human endocrine-disrupting sources have their origin in plants, such as marijuana, or in medicines such as acetaminophen. Despite what many "natural/organic" brands lead consumers to believe, parabens actually have a very "natural" origin. They are formed from an acid (p-hydroxy-benzoic acid) found in raspberries and blackberries. What's ironic is that "natural" brands often have to resort to using more synthetic preservatives to avoid using parabens—a direct contradiction to their own marketing! The fact is that "natural" doesn't inherently mean safe and "chemical" doesn't mean dangerous. What really matters is the research. A study conducted at the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston investigated the estrogenic effects of licorice root, black cohosh, dong quai, and ginseng. The results showed that "Dong quai and ginseng both significantly induced the growth of MCF-7 [cancer] cells." Another study concluded that "Commercially available products containing soy, red clover, and herbal combinations induced an increase in the MCF-7 [breast cancer] proliferation rates, indicating an estrogen-antagonistic activity...". Despite this evidence, when was the last time you read a media report or received a forwarded e-mail about the breast cancer risk from soy, licorice or ginseng? In contrast, you've likely seen media reports or emails regarding parabens and their link to estrogenic activity.

<h3 class="divSubHeaderText" style="display: inline; font-size: 12px; margin-bottom: 0px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 15px;"> Parabens and Estrogen</h3>

Even if parabens have an estrogenic effect on the body what would that mean? Any estrogen, including the estrogen our bodies produce, may bind to receptor sites on cells either strongly or weakly. So, if parabens were to blame, the thinking is that they can either stimulate the receptor to imitate the effect of our own estrogen in a positive way, or they can generate an abnormal estrogen response. Ironically, plant estrogens, or phytoestrogens (such as those found in soy), also produce chemicals that mimic estrogen, and to a much greater degree than what research on parabens has shown. It is possible that a weak plant estrogen can help the body, but it can also be possible that a strong plant estrogen can make matters worse. For example, there is research that shows coffee to be a problem for fibrocystic breast disease. The reason for this is thought to be because coffee exerts estrogenic effects on breast cells. The same concerns have been demonstrated for plant extracts such as dong quai, flax, and lavender, to name a few.

Sources: Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics, October 2010, pages 568-577;International Journal of Toxicology, Supplement 4, 2008, pages 1-82; Water Research, November 2008, pages 4578–4588; Cosmetics & Toiletries, January 2005, page 22; Toxicology, January 2005, pages 471–488; Menopause, March–April 2002, pages 145–150; Critical Reviews in Toxicology, Golden et al, 2005; Menopause, May–June 2004, pages 281–289; Journal of the American Medical Women's Association, Spring 2002, pages 85–90; Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, January 2002, pages 49–60; American Journal of Epidemiology October 1996, pages 642–644; www.som.tulane.edu/ecme/eehome/newsviews/whatsnew/archive/jan_dec2002.html)

Irshgrl312­011326257070.10314173 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

There are also parabens in about every pill you can in presciptions. They are in drugs used to treat cancer and those are taken orally not topically.

Unless you have an allergic reaction to them I see no reason to stop using them

smhr661326292770.5272384 PostsRegistered 9/5/2010Laid Back and Mellow Small Town USA
On 1/10/2012 irshgrl312 said:

There is absolutely not one single study that shows that parabens cause cancer. They are in over 70% of our cosmetics and skincare and they are preservatives that keep our products from developing fungus and bacteria rendering those products dangerous to use. They are less irritating on the skin than most other preservatives.

Don't waste your time trying to convince those that have a "mental block" about parabens. I've been saying all along, it isn't a bad thing ( parabens ) to have them in skincare, but some people have a negative mentality about parabens, and they aren't going to change that mentality.

These same people are probally using mica, bismuth, alcohol denat, and who knows what else on their face, not giving those "bad" ingredients a second thought {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}.

mature, dry, sensitive, makeup optional skin. keep it healthy with NIA24, MD Forte, physical sunscreen and Fancl cleanser.

chandeliers1326294913.8474357 PostsRegistered 3/5/2008

The OP asked in the title of her thread what our fave paraben free cleanser is. No biggy. Those of us who happen to use paraben free cleansers responded.

It's kind of like inquiring about a no salt or no sugar peanut butter.

She was just asking.....

Icegoddess1326295251.7371633 PostsRegistered 3/19/2010

So, my question is, if you are concerned about the estrogenic qualities of parabens, do you eat soy products? Soy has estrogenic properties and even more so with the genetically modified soy that is becoming more and more common. And if you say you don't eat soy, have you checked the labels of all the products you ingest to see if they contain soy?

CAshopper2­0111326295722.583420 PostsRegistered 12/20/2009
Earth Science makes a "creamy" cleanser that i like called A-D cream cleanser. They sell it at Whole Foods and just about any health food store.

Shelbelle1326295954.8634277 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Cleansers from 100% Pure, now 30% off and free shipping on Shimmer Skin Care.

chandeliers1326296324.5274357 PostsRegistered 3/5/2008
On 1/11/2012 Icegoddess said:

So, my question is, if you are concerned about the estrogenic qualities of parabens, do you eat soy products? Soy has estrogenic properties and even more so with the genetically modified soy that is becoming more and more common. And if you say you don't eat soy, have you checked the labels of all the products you ingest to see if they contain soy?

I rarely eat processed foods, but do check the labels for soy.

I've been a vegetarian for a decade.

However, in the beginning I drank soy milk for calcium to avoid dairy. I think that is what threw me into thyroid disease.

So believe me, I eat organic and I check the labels for soy.

JOU2JOU1326297630.57649 PostsRegistered 6/8/2011
On 1/11/2012 smhr66 said:
On 1/10/2012 irshgrl312 said:

Don't waste your time trying to convince those that have a "mental block" about parabens. I've been saying all along, it isn't a bad thing ( parabens ) to have them in skincare, but some people have a negative mentality about parabens, and they aren't going to change that mentality.

These same people are probally using mica, bismuth, alcohol denat, and who knows what else on their face, not giving those "bad" ingredients a second thought {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}.

Don't forget the Parabens, PEG's,and Sodium Laurel Sulfates in their toothpaste!

smhr661326297969.622384 PostsRegistered 9/5/2010Laid Back and Mellow Small Town USA
On 1/11/2012 chandeliers said:

The OP asked in the title of her thread what our fave paraben free cleanser is.

She was just asking.....

.... and we were just offering a different opinion. Sorry, my comment wasn't to offend, but to share a different viewpoint on this controversy, which seems to come up a lot on BB.

You talk about organic in your post #20. I also believe in eating organic, but the USDA isn't always reliable. Won't go into that controversy and hijack the O.P.'s thread.

mature, dry, sensitive, makeup optional skin. keep it healthy with NIA24, MD Forte, physical sunscreen and Fancl cleanser.

Icegoddess1326299233.4071633 PostsRegistered 3/19/2010

Why don't you just try what your husband is using? You might like it and then you're not out anything.

Windycity1326307090.541057 PostsRegistered 4/15/2005

I use Cor Silver Soap and love it! It is expensive, but lasts a very long time. It made a world of difference in terms of my skin's clarity, etc. I do have oily/combo skin and am not on the sunny side of 50. It leaves my skin feeling exceptionally clean, soft and not tight at all.

Ingredients:

Palm Oil Glycerin, Aloe, Avocado, Vitamins A,C,D And E, CSC Compound (derived From Chitosan, Sericin & Collagen), Pomegranate Extract, Patented Nano-silver With Silica.

I buy this at Skinstore.com when the are running their 20% discounts.

Last edited on 1/11/2012

Last edited on 1/11/2012

Actually registered and a poster since 2004 ~

older_but_­not_up1326332129.5739 PostsRegistered 6/1/2007

thank you luvitall for the welcome, and the info. and to the others who posted info. I just wasn't sure what ingredients would indicate parabens and the risks and I was too lazy to research it myself. It never hurts to have as much info as possible and I guess its up to each individual to do with it what they will.

IDK about parabens but I wish purity was cheaper, I do love the way my skin feels after using it.

Page 1 of 2