The Joy of Christmas
43 Members and 9294 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Preparation H - for puffy eyes?

Started 1323017191.1 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1323027370.7 by foxywoods

ok this is a serious question...Has anyone used PrepH for eyelid pufiness with good results?

I purchased the ointment and it is very greasy. The pharmacist said it would work better than the gel or cream.I see barely any reduction in the eye area though.

Maybe the gel is the best formula....

The ointment might be a good night eye cream though. It has hydrocortisone in it, not sure if that is good or bad for skin.

Tried to search the BB here but the search function seems to be broken...

Page 1 of 1
StellaDiva1323017909.9031134 PostsRegistered 10/15/2011
It's not good to constantly expose your skin to cortisone. I know that this was a beauty pageant trick but I call reading that preparation h changed it's formula. I could be mistaken about that. But puffiness around the eyes isn't cause by swollen vessels which is what this ointment is supposed to treat.

Dharma_Ini­tiative1323018476.6874147 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007

The main ingredients that people originally said would depuff your eyes is no longer in the Prep H sold in the U.S. You'd have to buy the Canadian or European versions. There is a different ingredient now in the U.S. version that some derms say may work to eliminate dark circles and puffiness however the makers of Prep H warn people not to use it near your eyes. That is not it's intended purpose and may cause harm to your eyes.

http://www.isnare.com/?aid=173884&ca=Womens+Interest

Last edited on 12/4/2011

Last edited on 12/4/2011

nikkimom1323018777.092848 PostsRegistered 5/18/2007So Cal

US formula does not have the de-puffing ingredient-Biodyne

need to get it from Canadian pharmacy

> Life is short so...kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly, and forgive quickly!

foxywoods1323019442.23913 PostsRegistered 8/6/2007

Thanks ladies, i wasn't aware of the formula change...i appreciate your help!

PS: 2 hours later there was no change. i only tried it on one eyelid.

ford12241323019906.3473586 PostsRegistered 6/7/2010

If you have it chronically, meaning it's always there no matter whether you ate salt, or had a bad night trying to sleep, and especially if you have developed a thyroid problem, it is not going to go away.

Eyelid surgery is the only thing that will permanently cure it. I was 48 or so when I developed heavily swollen bags under my eyes from hypothyroidism. It aged me terribly and didn't feel good either. I had them removed surgically. I am 73 now and they never came back, I still don't have bags under my eyes and that was 25 years ago.

Of course cost is an issue. It wasn't so much back then (around $1,500). I don't know what it costs now.

Edited to add if you have a good surgeon, it is not a radical surgery. Mine was over and done with in a week, meaning within a week the stitches were out and the minimum amount of bruising I had was gone.

Last edited on 12/4/2011

Last edited on 12/4/2011

Whatsoever things are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

beauty jun­kie1323020138.28328 PostsRegistered 11/1/2006Ft Laud

I had no idea that the ingredient was missing.No wonder all I had were swollen irritated greasy eyes.It made my eyes tear like mad.

The Rainbow Bridge-we do not remember days,we remember moments!!

foxywoods1323020548.267913 PostsRegistered 8/6/2007

Thanks, Ford...I am also hypothyroid. But I do get puffiness in the morning.

I have space between my eyebrow and actual eyelid where the skin has drooped over and I have very deep-set eyes. The puffiness just makes my eyes look really bad, like I had been crying all night.

I would need surgery...I had a consult with a derm in NY. Actually was interested in a Co2 Fractional eyelift. I was told it wouldn't give the results I hoped for and would probably need a browlft and a blepharoplasty. A little out of my budget :-(

btw: have you noticed an uptick in EMPIRE commercials!!! is that cartoon guy supposed to be the original owner?

StellaDiva1323020612.1871134 PostsRegistered 10/15/2011
Go back and tell the pharmacist to stop pushing this stuff for an off label use that's ineffective ( and possibly dangerous).

ford12241323026220.153586 PostsRegistered 6/7/2010
On 12/4/2011 foxywoods said:

I have space between my eyebrow and actual eyelid where the skin has drooped over and I have very deep-set eyes. The puffiness just makes my eyes look really bad, like I had been crying all night.

I would need surgery...I had a consult with a derm in NY. Actually was interested in a Co2 Fractional eyelift. I was told it wouldn't give the results I hoped for and would probably need a browlft and a blepharoplasty. A little out of my budget :-(

btw: have you noticed an uptick in EMPIRE commercials!!! is that cartoon guy supposed to be the original owner?

Wow, I can't believe you remember my remarks about the "earworms" and the Empire commercial! They do seem to be on more, maybe because of the season. Never thought of it, but that cartoon guy may be the original owner, since they always end their commercials with that sequence.

As far as the eyelid surgery, I did not need a brow lift or my upper eyelids done. All of my swelling was in my lower eyelids. I can imagine the cost is far greater than it was then, but good luck in whatever you decide to do! I've never heard of a Co2 Fractional eyelift. Must be something new.

Whatsoever things are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

foxywoods1323027370.7913 PostsRegistered 8/6/2007
On 12/4/2011 ford1224 said:
On 12/4/2011 foxywoods said:

Wow, I can't believe you remember my remarks about the "earworms" and the Empire commercial! They do seem to be on more, maybe because of the season. Never thought of it, but that cartoon guy may be the original owner, since they always end their commercials with that sequence.

As far as the eyelid surgery, I did not need a brow lift or my upper eyelids done. All of my swelling was in my lower eyelids. I can imagine the cost is far greater than it was then, but good luck in whatever you decide to do! I've never heard of a Co2 Fractional eyelift. Must be something new.

There was an article in August 2011 Vogue magazine about these Co2 eyelifts.

Three to Five laser treatments spaced over several weeks or just one mega-session. The idea is the laser stimulates new cell growth in the eye area which eventually lifts the skin around the eye.

The thing is in order for the treatment to be effective for me, Botox is needed as well...I had the courtesy consult and it was worth the visit. Botox though, is an ongoing expense. I have had Botox and could not see committing to regular injections of it.

In my area we had radio Empire ads...that how I started to mute them 15-20 years ago!

Page 1 of 1