Fashion & Accessories Clearance
117 Members and 15794 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

What exactly is "congested skin"?

Started 1321755766.477 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1321826734.533 by Irshgrl31201

I have heard this term tossed around in threads, but I am unclear in exactly the condition you are speaking of and what you do if you have it? Is it something that a derm has to diagnose and is there medication for it? I bet I am not alone in this unclear terminology.

Thanks.

Beauty is ALWAYS before age...(Dorthy Parker misquoted intentionally)
Light-golden warm skin tone (dry side), olive-green eyes, medium brunette: Dominant Color season - Warm Autumn.

Page 1 of 2
betteb1321757466.4415766 PostsRegistered 1/1/2008The Land of Oz

Here you go, THIS explains it pretty well

"Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind;" Wordsworth

EstyWA1321764956.6831578 PostsRegistered 11/7/2011

congested skin will have an uneven texture, pores will be clogged with sebum some pores will have blackheads,others hard white heads called millia. The best thing for congested skin is nightly retin-a, a glycolic face wash a few times a week, and professional exfoliation once a month (peels,microdermabrasion)

babyb1321765857.0474636 PostsRegistered 12/3/2006SD

EstyWA....do you have a favorite glycolic face wash?

How about an exfoliation that can be safely done at home since no professionals in the area?

Thanks!

MotorCity ­Chick1321765955.541814 PostsRegistered 2/1/2005Michigan
On 11/19/2011 EstyWA said:

congested skin will have an uneven texture, pores will be clogged with sebum some pores will have blackheads,others hard white heads called millia. The best thing for congested skin is nightly retin-a, a glycolic face wash a few times a week, and professional exfoliation once a month (peels,microdermabrasion)

ITA and congested skin is also bumpy, lumpy as well...NOT pleasant, I've had it in the past

EstyWA1321765993.111578 PostsRegistered 11/7/2011

babyb, I like MD Forte glycolic face wash at the 15% (believe it's number 2) you can get that at dermstore.

what is your skin type and color?

babyb1321766137.314636 PostsRegistered 12/3/2006SD

I have very fair skin. Guess my skin is combo, as I have an oily t zone with large pores....probably congested! AND anti aging stuff is always nice, too.

I use PTR retinol 1.5%, if that matters???

MotorCity ­Chick1321766297.5331814 PostsRegistered 2/1/2005Michigan

I've heard good reviews on PTR gly wash but never have used it. I am not really sure if there is a difference in Glycolic washes or not????

babyb1321766432.2434636 PostsRegistered 12/3/2006SD
On 11/19/2011 originalln said:

I've heard good reviews on PTR gly wash but never have used it. I am not really sure if there is a difference in Glycolic washes or not????

Good question!

Any that could be purchased locally even?

MotorCity ­Chick1321766604.9431814 PostsRegistered 2/1/2005Michigan
On 11/19/2011 babyb said:

Good question!

I've only ever used two in the past SSC's and Mario Badescu -and I like the both. MB products are available at Ulta if that helps. I can't use a Glycolic cleanser ever day, it will "burn" my skin - normally 2 or 3 times a week max.

EstyWA1321766641.0871578 PostsRegistered 11/7/2011

Good question!

the PTR glycolic wash isnt that strong and for the price it should be a decent strength and ph. Thats why I like the md forte it's less expensive, it's in a strength you will really notice a difference.

as far as exfoliation I would recommend a lactic peel. makeup artists choice.com has great over the counter peels. I use them at home so I don't waste my expensive peels in my office

MotorCity ­Chick1321766794.0371814 PostsRegistered 2/1/2005Michigan

I will have to check the strength of Mario Badecu's - I wouldn't want it any stronger...I think my skin is getting alittle sensitive as I get older and I could never use a Glyc cleanser everyday - it would totally mess my skin up.

babyb1321766839.7834636 PostsRegistered 12/3/2006SD

It seems I have read glycolic washes are no good as the glycolic is just washed down the drain. Would I leave this cleanser on my face, say, while I brush my teeth?

OK, so now I am reading that you really do seem to notice the glycolic if it almost burns if you use it too much?

What do you notice by using this a few times a week? Does it really help to decongest?

Last edited on 11/19/2011

EstyWA1321767210.271578 PostsRegistered 11/7/2011

babyb, I have acne clients who I would start with one product at a time to limit sensitivity and reactions (because acne prone skin is also highly reactive skin) and adding just glycolic face wash to the routine greatly improved their skin. This is with pustule acne as well as congested pores (white heads and blackheads)

if you put the cleanser on dry skin and leave on for one minute and then add water and massage in for a minute it's like doing a mini peel.

MotorCity ­Chick1321767255.5671814 PostsRegistered 2/1/2005Michigan

It seems I have read glycolic washes are no good as the glycolic is just washed down the drain. Would I leave this cleanser on my face, say, while I brush my teeth?

OK, so now I am reading that you really do seem to notice the glycolic if it almost burns if you use it too much?

What do you notice by using this a few times a week? Does it really help to decongest?

For me personally, I don't agree with the washing down the drain theory because when I use it my skin changes it and it doesn't take long. It will burn my skin IF I were to use it everyday but I dont believe you are suppose to use it everyday. I do think it helps with the clarity of my skin but it didn't do too much for my bumps - that I had to do more targeted products to clear. When I first started using it I didn't realize that you weren't suppose to use it everyday (should have read the directions) and it just burned about a week after everyday use...but now I don't have that problem since I've backed down from how many days a week I use it.

PurplePink1321767887.2031129 PostsRegistered 10/29/2010

You are better off with a glycolic product that is not rinsed down, both from an efficiency perspective and also from a time-saving one. You can use glycolic pads, lotions, toners there are plenty of products that can be left on the skin for the glycolic acid to be more effective. Also just because a product contains glycolic acid does not mean it is effectively formulated (has the right pH, has anti-irritants included) to exfoliate.

The Mario Badescu glycolic cleanser burns, not because the glycolic acid is working (it should never burn, it should tingle) but because it is extremely drying - it contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (the lauryl one is the harshest sulfate). So is it the equivalent of washing your face with a sulfate-based shampoo - it will dry and irritate your skin.

These are the ingredients for the Mario Badescu Glycolic Cleanser:

Deionized Water,Sodium Lauryl Sulfate,Cocamide DEA,Cocamidopropyl Betaine,Sodium Chloride, Glycolic Acid, Matricaria Extract,Yarrow Extract, St Johns Wort Extract, Chamomile Extract, Sage Extract

Clogged pores - bumps, blackheads, and redness are better addressed by using a BHA (containing salicylic acid) product in addition to/instead of an AHA product.

EstyWA1321768049.1931578 PostsRegistered 11/7/2011

This is why i recomend MD Forte the PH/% is in an effective range. A lot of people can't tolerate topical leave on glycolic acid products so that is why a face wash that is left on for a few minutes is effective.

MotorCity ­Chick1321768149.231814 PostsRegistered 2/1/2005Michigan
On 11/19/2011 PurplePink said:

You are better off with a glycolic product that is not rinsed down, both from an efficiency perspective and also from a time-saving one. You can use glycolic pads, lotions, toners there are plenty of products that can be left on the skin for the glycolic acid to be more effective. Also just because a product contains glycolic acid does not mean it is effectively formulated (has the right pH, has anti-irritants included) to exfoliate.

The Mario Badescu glycolic cleanser burns, not because the glycolic acid is working (it should never burn, it should tingle) but because it is extremely drying - it contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (the lauryl one is the harshest sulfate). So is it the equivalent of washing your face with a sulfate-based shampoo - it will dry and irritate your skin.

These are the ingredients for the Mario Badescu Glycolic Cleanser:

Deionized Water,Sodium Lauryl Sulfate,Cocamide DEA,Cocamidopropyl Betaine,Sodium Chloride, Glycolic Acid, Matricaria Extract,Yarrow Extract, St Johns Wort Extract, Chamomile Extract, Sage Extract

Clogged pores - bumps, blackheads, and redness are better addressed by using a BHA (containing salicylic acid) product in addition to/instead of an AHA product.

For me, it burned only when I used it everyday - just like the other Glyc Cleanser I used. Using it 2-3 days a week works good for me.

I think that acne / congestion is so different for everyone out there...what works for some won't work for everyone....

PurplePink1321768315.3071129 PostsRegistered 10/29/2010

This is why i recomend MD Forte the PH/% is in an effective range. A lot of people can't tolerate topical leave on glycolic acid products so that is why a face wash that is left on for a few minutes is effective.

That can definitely be the case, but I just personally would not be able to leave my cleanser on for a few minutes especially if it foams - I fear it would get in my eyes etc.

EstyWA1321768430.071578 PostsRegistered 11/7/2011
On 11/19/2011 PurplePink said:

That can definitely be the case, but I just personally would not be able to leave my cleanser on for a few minutes especially if it foams - I fear it would get in my eyes etc.

MD forte is non foaming, it's a thin lotion consistency

babyb1321768493.014636 PostsRegistered 12/3/2006SD

I follow every discussion that involves black heads. I just HAVE to find a way to get rid of them and keep them away. I do have the Alpha Hydrox Glycolic wipes and I am not sure I saw a difference when I used them.....but I was using them without a retinol product at the time, too. The glycolic cleanser from MD Forte does have my attention and I already looked....it is 20% off right now at lovelyskin.com and they always have free shipping. Hmmm....what to do what to do

Desertdi1321771517.69315535 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun

It means clogged pores. Use a Beta hydroxy product for this (salicylic). It is really better if you can manually purge (squeeze) your pores first. I know people are squeamish about doing this.........

Desertdi1321771526.6715535 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun

It means clogged pores. Use a Beta hydroxy product for this (salicylic). It is really better if you can manually purge (squeeze) your pores first. I know people are squeamish about doing this.........

Sister Gol­den Hair1321775873.1814242 PostsRegistered 7/18/2008
On 11/19/2011 betteb said:

Here you go, THIS explains it pretty well

Hello betteb, thanks for the great information.

Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

Milesdavis1321796226.7931087 PostsRegistered 10/1/2011
A bha is much better for treating clogged pores than an aha. Bha penetrates the pores while aha does not. Cosmeticscop.com has many excellent bha products.

EstyWA1321815585.841578 PostsRegistered 11/7/2011
In order to treat congested skin you first need to remove and keep clear the top dead layer of skin something AHA's do better then BHA's Once you clear the dead veil of skin that's when your pores will be able to accept other product BHA is excellent however retin-a is best! Remember AHA is water soluble and BhA are oil soluble. They work best in conjunction with each other

Page 1 of 2