Handbag Clearance
64 Members and 14723 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

UV Gel Nails and Pregnancy

Started 1321562144.18 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1322492185.46 by LovemyBE

Hi Ladies,

I have the UV gel nails and am pregnant. Very early on. Like just missed my period for a week. Anyway, I have not called my OBGYN yet and am scheduled to get my nails done this Tues. Does anyone know if it is safe to get the UV gel nails when pregnant?

Page 1 of 1
sweetsue_981321564888.7131032 PostsRegistered 9/24/2006

I don't think the uv is safe period. I had shellac for a year, and just had to have a biopsy on my left hand for suspicious skin cancer. I had melanoma, and cannot believe I was so stupid to put my hand in one of those things for a year, every two weeks.

che1321565075.1611291 PostsRegistered 2/7/2009seattle, Wa.
On 11/17/2011 sweetsue_98 said:

I don't think the uv is safe period. I had shellac for a year, and just had to have a biopsy on my left hand for suspicious skin cancer. I had melanoma, and cannot believe I was so stupid to put my hand in one of those things for a year, every two weeks.

oh ..I'm so sorry.....I just had my first shellac 2 weeks ago...and love it...after reading this I am going back to acrylics..

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened!

In Loving Memory of my Dear Sweet Bubba...Nov. 21, 2011

sweetsue_981321565425.0171032 PostsRegistered 9/24/2006

Well I loved them too, and the gal said it was safe, so I did it. How stupid. I miss my beautiful nails, but this darn thing on the top of my left hand has really grown, so I wouldn't recommend doing it. I had started reading about the dangers of UV for nail curing. Hopefully my biopsy will be benign.

But you think about your hand is under the light once after the base coat, again after the first coat, again after the second, and then one more time after the top coat. I think that is a total of 6-7 minutes per hand every two weeks. I wouldn't go to a tanning bed, so why I did that I guess it was the beautiful nails.

depglass1321565884.70322676 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

I doubt if anyone has done studies on the safety of UV lights on pregnant women or their fetuses. Therefore why take the chance? Its just like with medications, unless its life and death, don't take it. Its only 9 months, think about the safety of your child. It will be small consolation to take part in a class action lawsuit when they find out some of these products are dangerous.

che1321577059.85311291 PostsRegistered 2/7/2009seattle, Wa.
On 11/17/2011 sweetsue_98 said:

Well I loved them too, and the gal said it was safe, so I did it. How stupid. I miss my beautiful nails, but this darn thing on the top of my left hand has really grown, so I wouldn't recommend doing it. I had started reading about the dangers of UV for nail curing. Hopefully my biopsy will be benign.

But you think about your hand is under the light once after the base coat, again after the first coat, again after the second, and then one more time after the top coat. I think that is a total of 6-7 minutes per hand every two weeks. I wouldn't go to a tanning bed, so why I did that I guess it was the beautiful nails.

Sweetsue...I will keep you in my prayers...{#emotions_dlg.wub}My lady told me it was safe too...I just had it done 2 weeks ago for first time..I wonder if we were to slather on 50+ sunscreen right before we have nails done would that help...It would be the same as if protecting ourselves from the suns rays...Hmmm...I will have to see if i can find anything on the web about this..

wishing you all the best...!!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

EstyWA1321577568.231578 PostsRegistered 11/7/2011

The UV light also penetrates into the nail bed as well so it really doesnt matter if you wear sunblock or not you're still getting the exposure. I do my own gel manicures at home and actually thinking of selling my stuff because I like the nutra nail gel kit that is UV free, it also applies very quickly. I have had a couple clients request peels on their hands when I'm doing facial peels because of the age spots that have creeped up on them from doing the gel nails in the salon.

chocolover1321585074.98587 PostsRegistered 11/19/2006
I think gel nails and uv lights have been around for about 20 years. Is there a difference between gel nails and shellac nail polish when it comes to the uv light?

EstyWA1321585226.7331578 PostsRegistered 11/7/2011

The lights are the same however your hands spend more time under them with the new gel polishes then with the gel tips. Also with gel tips people are generally going in every 4 weeks as opposed to on average every 2 weeks for the new gel polishes so the exposure time is greater

Last edited on 11/17/2011

Last edited on 11/17/2011

che1321585434.5411291 PostsRegistered 2/7/2009seattle, Wa.
On 11/17/2011 EstyWA said:

The UV light also penetrates into the nail bed as well so it really doesnt matter if you wear sunblock or not you're still getting the exposure. I do my own gel manicures at home and actually thinking of selling my stuff because I like the nutra nail gel kit that is UV free, it also applies very quickly. I have had a couple clients request peels on their hands when I'm doing facial peels because of the age spots that have creeped up on them from doing the gel nails in the salon.

Hi Esty...My nail lady rec them as I have had the acrylics on so long and without my nails tear and bend they are so thin..always have been..

what is Nutra nails? does it help for those with nails like mine? TIA

I am in Wa also..{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

che1321585436.6411291 PostsRegistered 2/7/2009seattle, Wa.

Hi Esty...My nail lady rec them as I have had the acrylics on so long and without my nails tear and bend they are so thin..always have been..

what is Nutra nails? does it help for those with nails like mine? TIA

I am in Wa also..{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

EstyWA1321585923.921578 PostsRegistered 11/7/2011

Hi Che, The shellac and gelish polishes are actually more damaging to the nails then gel tips because with gel tips you arent dehydrating the nail to remove them every 2 weeks.

Nutra Nail Uv FREE gel polish can be bought at walgreens, fred meyers,ulta etc. My nails are still strong after removing this gel polish where whenever I removed the gelish my nails would peel and I had to start all over again growing them out. My nails havent broken or split once since I started wearing the Nutra Nail. So for me NN is a winner I will probably end up selling my UV gel stuff on CL

bamamom1321586441.497979 PostsRegistered 2/19/2007State of Confusion

Hi Che, The shellac and gelish polishes are actually more damaging to the nails then gel tips because with gel tips you arent dehydrating the nail to remove them every 2 weeks.

Nutra Nail Uv FREE gel polish can be bought at walgreens, fred meyers,ulta etc. My nails are still strong after removing this gel polish where whenever I removed the gelish my nails would peel and I had to start all over again growing them out. My nails havent broken or split once since I started wearing the Nutra Nail. So for me NN is a winner I will probably end up selling my UV gel stuff on CL

Hi EtsyWA...???? The Nutra Nail UV FREE gel polish...is this applied just like we would a regular nail polish??? Is it something like the Pro Gel that is on the Q (was actually on this morning and I was thinking of ordering the set)?

Thanks in advance for your input.

EstyWA1321586795.2671578 PostsRegistered 11/7/2011
On 11/17/2011 bamamom said:

Hi EtsyWA...???? The Nutra Nail UV FREE gel polish...is this applied just like we would a regular nail polish??? Is it something like the Pro Gel that is on the Q (was actually on this morning and I was thinking of ordering the set)?

Bamamom, The NN gel polish has 3 little bottles, the actual color,the activator,and brush cleaner for the color brush.

You need to push back or remove your cuticles (whatever you prefer) then file your nails,then clean with pure acetone to remove all oil from your nail beds.

Open all three bottles. You will work on one hand at a time, first by applying the activator to all five nails till they have a wet sheen, then you apply the color one coat then switch the brush out with the nail cleaner brush and repeat the color process.

Do the same thing on the other hand and that's it. It's actually quicker then applying regular polish

bamamom1321587305.017979 PostsRegistered 2/19/2007State of Confusion
On 11/17/2011 bamamom said:

Bamamom, The NN gel polish has 3 little bottles, the actual color,the activator,and brush cleaner for the color brush.

You need to push back or remove your cuticles (whatever you prefer) then file your nails,then clean with pure acetone to remove all oil from your nail beds.

Open all three bottles. You will work on one hand at a time, first by applying the activator to all five nails till they have a wet sheen, then you apply the color one coat then switch the brush out with the nail cleaner brush and repeat the color process.

Do the same thing on the other hand and that's it. It's actually quicker then applying regular polish

Etsywa, WOW!!! That sounds so simple I think I could possibly do this! I was at ULTA today, wish I had known about this product then and I would have grabbed it. I had just gone back to getting the CND gel nails, second time getting my nails done in 5 weeks. I soak the gel nails off myself with the acetone on the cottonball & wrap foil around the tips to hold the cottonballs in place (and the drips). My original venture into the gel nails was last year, about this time, and I had them done 3 times each wore about 3 weeks before needing to be taken off.

I never thought about the UV lights on my hands! Crazy!

I think a trip back to ULTA is in order!

Thanks for the instruction tips and advice. Saw your other post on another question about 2 - 3 pages deep in the beauty section.

Have a great evening.

EstyWA1321587548.221578 PostsRegistered 11/7/2011

Bamamom, {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} BTW I have only tried the sheer pink color so I'm not sure how easy of an application the darker colors are. Let me when you try it I would love to hear about other colors if you do go that route

bamamom1321589787.277979 PostsRegistered 2/19/2007State of Confusion

EstyWA...will do. I'm usually a sheer color for work, if it chips I am not able to see it that well so it doesn't drive me crazy like a dark polish that is chipped. PLUS if I get some "outside the lines" it doesn't show as much. I love the French or American manicures so I'll probably still need to get a professional manicure for those. That was one think I liked when I had tried the ProGel from the Q, made the nail bed very pink looking and the white tips of my nails much whiter.

Have you tried the Pro Gel from the Q?

EstyWA1321589904.2631578 PostsRegistered 11/7/2011

I tried looking for the Pro Gel on the Q and couldnt find it. do you have a link for it?

bamamom1321590361.41979 PostsRegistered 2/19/2007State of Confusion

A219666, yikes do not like those last numbers maybe that is a sign to NOT get this stuff. I called it the wrong thing too. Sorry! Is actually Perfert Formula gel. The have pink and clear in today's set.

bamamom1321590437.773979 PostsRegistered 2/19/2007State of Confusion

A219666, YIKES do not like those last numbers, could be a sign to avoid this stuff? Perfect Formula gel. Sorry for the wrong name. They had it on the morning show today, the pink and clear formula's with a diamond nail file? How do those compare to a normal file?

bamamom1321590450.017979 PostsRegistered 2/19/2007State of Confusion

A219666, YIKES do not like those last numbers, could be a sign to avoid this stuff? Perfect Formula gel. Sorry for the wrong name. They had it on the morning show today, the pink and clear formula's with a diamond nail file? How do those compare to a normal file?

EstyWA1321590613.0431578 PostsRegistered 11/7/2011

Ahh yes PF pink gel, it's actually almost identicle to sally hansen hard as nails natural pink gel that only costs 2.49.

The NN product is completely different then the PF

bamamom1321591090.713979 PostsRegistered 2/19/2007State of Confusion

I thought the very same thing about the PF being so like SH, except for the price.

NN is next on my list of must tries.

Will let you know how it goes.

Rainbows a­nd Roses1321591525.20318287 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011

I would not get my nails done....when I was pregnant I did not paint my nails.....I gave my life to my child in the womb watching everything I ate and drank.

"Crying is for plain women, Pretty women go shopping." Oscar Wilde

"The most beautiful makeup of a woman is passion but cosmetics are easier to buy." YSL

bamamom1322457533.863979 PostsRegistered 2/19/2007State of Confusion

EstyWA....bought the Nutra Nail gel,the very pale pink (blush?). Will try and do my nails tomorrow evening. Unfortunately, have broken two this weekend. Also bought some SH hard as nails in natural. May need to use that for a couple of weeks till breaks grow out.

LovemyBE1322492185.4625333 PostsRegistered 7/11/2008

I would definitely NOT get your nails done. I was extra careful when I was pregnant. My O*B/GYN gave me a list of things to avoid while pregnant and also gave me a 1-800 number for the food/drug admistration pregnancy hotline. This hot line you call and give them the name of the product in question. They inform you if it's safe or not, based on their studies. I remember nailpolish was one thing I was told to avoid unless it was a certain brand, they gave me suggestions. That was over 10 years ago so things probably have changed, but I still wouldn't take any chances if I was you, until you've checked with your doctor.

Always end the day with a positive thought. No matter how hard things were, tomorrow's a fresh opportunity to make it better.

Page 1 of 1