Labor Day Weekend Clearance
157 Members and 12768 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

PMD Personal Microdermabrasion and Retin A

Started 1320638025.703 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1320701063.403 by Deb0360
replies

Hi Girls!! Need a little advise please. I've been wanting to get a Microdermabrasion tool and after reading reviews on what's offered I decided to order the PMD from ShopNBC today. My question is how do I use it with Retin A? I've been using Retin A .050 for almost three years every other night. On the other nights I use either Phil Miricle Worker Pads or Neutragen Retinol. Can't do the Retin A every night. Now, on the mornings after Retin A I use Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Peels. These have really helped with the flaking. So how do I work in the PMD without hurting myself??

I do understand its very important to watch the dvd and to have a light hand.

Thanks!!

Deb

Page 1 of 1
lyn in MI1320669495.89724373 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan

Deb, I think you should talk to your derm about it. Retin-A "works by thinning the outermost layer of the skin - the stratum corneum, while cells in the epidermis are stimulated to produce a thicker epidermis layer." I'm unsure if microdermabrasion which will also thin the outermost layer of the skin is a good combination, and your derm knows your skin and can give you the best advise. If you Google microdermabrasion+tretinoin, you will find some info. One article I read @ realself stated "The combination of Microdermabrasion and Retin-A can go work well together. We use a crystal-free diamond tipped microdermabrader in our office. Your skin with Retin-A may be more sensitive and to help avoid scabbing and deeper injury we recommend that patients stop Retin-A / Tretinoin for 3-5 days before their microdermabrasion treatment. Patients can then resume Tretinoin the next day after microdermabrasion. Each patient is different and I tailor my recommendations accordingly."

eta: also from realself, It is not uncommon to use both Retin-A and other hydroxy acids simultaneously with microdermabrasion treatments. But most doctors will likely stop your Retin-A treatment either two weeks or a couple of days before your first microdermabrasion treatment. Note that since you have been on Retina-a, you may have more redness and scabbing after microdermabrasion than if you were not on Retin-A.

Last edited on 11/7/2011

Last edited on 11/7/2011

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
♥ Birman =^..^= Servant ♥

Deb03601320701063.403230 PostsRegistered 12/27/2008Tulsa

Thanks Lynn!! I don't have a derm. I've never been to one. LOL I'll do that google search when I get home tonight from work and see what I find. I really thought I could do both but I knew I'd have to be careful.

Page 1 of 1